BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
“The Hunger Games” numbers: 3 weekends in theaters and $460 million in worldwide box office (it’s likely headed for the top 10 all-time) . . . Rebecca Eaton, producer of the British period TV drama “Downton Abbey” (ITV/PBS/Vision), says 77-year-old star Maggie Smith (‘Dowager Countess of Grantham’) can be ‘very difficult’ and ‘a handful’ on the set but the acclaimed actress ‘delivers when the time comes’ (the series is a surprise international hit) . . . Actress Jessica Biel has begun shopping for her upcoming wedding, going from store-to-store in Paris hunting for a dress, including the high-end showrooms of designers Giambattista Valli and Elie Saab (Justin Timberlake’s exclusive black VISA is about to take a huge hit) . . . “Jersey Shore’s” Mike ‘The Situation’ Sorrentino is out of rehab and says he’s ‘better than ever’ (wouldn’t take much) . . . 29-year-old actress Anne Hathaway has had her trademark long brown locks totally lopped off and is now sporting a super-short crop for her role in the upcoming movie adaptation of “Les Miserables” (hope she got ‘sacrifice pay’) . . . 42-year-old Jennifer Lopez has gifted her boy-toy Casper Smart with a white pickup truck for his 25th birthday (it was only last year he got a Tonka truck) . . . The Internet has been abuzz about a leaked “Breaking Bad” script for the upcoming 5th-season premiere that’s said to be incredibly awful, but now producers have assured fans it’s a ‘total fake’ (BS translation: They still have until July to get a rewrite) . . . And just as rumors are rampant that Heidi Klum has been dating her “Germany’s Next Top Model” co-star, Thomas Hayo, she’s officially filed for divorce from soul singer Seal (no wonder they had no time for marriage – how many shows is she on?).
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “All For the Hall” (Nashville TN) – Tonight Keith Urban hosts the 3rd annual benefit concert for the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum. He performs at Bridgestone Arena with a raft of guests, including Alison Krauss & Union Station, The Band Perry, Lady Antebellum, Little Big Town, Oak Ridge Boys, Rascal Flatts, Thompson Square, and Vince Gill.
• “Conan” (TBS/CTV) – M Ward (“A Wasteland Companion”).
• “Dancing With the Stars” (ABC/CTV2) – KISS performs; Gotan Project performs; contestants face elimination.
• “Ellen DeGeneres Show” (syndicated/CTV2) – Bonnie Raitt (“Slipstream”).
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/CHCH) – Slash (“Apocalyptic Love”, out May 22nd).
• “Last Call With Carson Daly” (NBC) – Dr Dog (“Be the Void”).
• “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – White Rabbits (“Milk Famous”).
• “Late Show With David Letterman” (CBS/NTV/Omni1) – Shooter Jennings (“Family Man”).
• “Tonight Show With Jay Leno” (NBC/CTV2) – Eric Turner f/Lupe Fiasco & Tinie Tempah (“Angels & Stars”).
• “The Voice” (NBC/CTV) – Contestants face elimination.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Britney Spears – According to “People”, her father Jamie Spears has filed papers asking that her husband-to-be, Jason Trawick, be added as a co-conservator of her legal and financial affairs, including decisions concerning her health, clothing, and food.
• Carly Rae Jepsen – The former “Canadian Idol” runner-up has landed atop this week’s singles chart in Britain with “Call Me Maybe”, thanks in part to a viral video of Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez dancing to the track.
• Daughtry – Chris Daughtry says he’s ‘very hurt’ by a new lawsuit accusing him of defrauding his former band Absent Element by withholding royalties from them. Daughtry says the accusation is false.
• Counting Crows – Today they release the new album “Underwater Sunshine (Or What We Did On Our Summer Vacation)”. To promote the release, they begin a tour of intimate venues this Friday in Seattle WA.
• Death Cab For Cutie – Tonight a new round of touring in support of their latest album “Codes & Keys” begins in Denver CO.
• Kanye West – A source tells “People” magazine he & Kim Kardashian are now officially a couple. They’re reportedly ‘keeping things light’ for now while they ‘see where it goes’. (How handy, now we can hate on the 2 least-likeable people in the biz simultaneously!)
• Lana Del Rey – She’s sparked speculation about her love life again after being spotted leaving Hollywood’s Chateau Marmont with Guns ‘N Roses frontman Axl Rose. The sighting comes just 2 weeks after she was romantically linked to Marilyn Manson.
• Monica – Today she releases her new album “New Life”, which includes her reunion duet with Brandy, “It All Belongs to Me”.
• Nickelback – Tonight they launch a 39-date North American tour in Moline IL. The trek supports their most recent album “Here and Now”.
TODAY’S VIDEO RELEASES:
• “The Darkest Hour” ( PG-13 Sci-Fi Thriller ): Emile Hirsch stars in this thriller about a group of 5 young people who are stranded in Moscow where they must lead the charge against an alien race who’ve attacked Earth via its power supply. Co-stars Olivia Thirlby and Max Minghella. Filmed in 3-D.
• “The Iron Lady” ( PG-13 Biographical Drama ): Meryl Streep won an Oscar for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher, the first and only female British Prime Minister and one of the 20th Century’s most famous and influential women. The film focuses on her senior years as she talks about her life to the imagined presence of her recently deceased husband. Co-stars Jim Broadbent.
• Also released today: “Adam 12: The Final Season” (Vintage TV); “Animals United” (Animation); “Charlotte Rampling: The Look” (Documentary); “Dark Shadows: The Complete Collection” (Vintage TV); “Laverne & Shirley: The 5th Season” (Vintage TV); “Logan’s Run: The Complete Series” (Sci-Fi TV); “Night Gallery: Season 3” (TV); and “One Tree Hill: The Complete 9th & Final Season” (TV).
FOODS THAT FIGHT STRESS:
If you chow down on these eats, you’ll not only tame hunger but reduce stress and anxiety …
• Blueberries – Their antioxidants counteract the effects of stress hormones like cortisol on your body.
• Dark Chocolate – High in flavonoids, which are lauded for their relaxing properties, chocolate also contains phenethylamine, a chemical that enhances your mood.
• Oatmeal – Helps you produce serotonin, a calming hormone that helps fight anxiety’s negative effects. Plus it’s high in fiber, which means that your body absorbs it slowly.
• Salmon – Its omega-3 fatty acids can help reverse stress symptoms by boosting serotonin levels and suppressing production of the anxiety hormones cortisol and adrenaline.
• Spinach – Studies show that magnesium, which you’ll find in leafy greens like spinach, improves your body’s response to stress.
• Sunflower Seeds – A good source of folate, which helps your body produce a pleasure-inducing brain chemical called dopamine.
– Condensed from WomansDay.com
FROM THE BS POLL VAULT:
A BS breakdown of who we are and what we do …
• 50% of women feel that they are better at mowing the lawn than their husbands. (Have at it!)
• 50% of women say the thing that makes them happiest is … sleep. (#2 is likely chocolate.)
• 50% of us wish we could change where we live. (Anything to avoid dusting.)
• 25% of us have at least 1 tattoo. (I’ll show you mine if …)
• 25% of us will run out of aluminum foil at some point this year. (Crisis!)
• 25% of us will eat fast-food today. (Enjoy, tubby!)
The performance of computers has steadily doubled every year-and-a-half since the 1970s. What many don’t know, however, is that the electrical efficiency of computing (the number of computations carried out using the same energy) has also doubled every year-and-a-half since the dawn of the computer age. Laptops and mobile phones owe their existence to this trend, which has led to rapid reductions in the power consumed by battery-powered devices. As this figure continues to fall by a factor of 100 every decade, ever smaller and less power-intensive devices will de developed. (The fingernail phone? The foreign language brain chip? Videogame contact lenses?)
– “Technology Review”
POWER FOODS RECOMMENDED FOR SENIORS:
✓ Canned salmon or sardines.
✓ Calcium-fortified orange juice.
✓ Collards, kale, or spinach.
✓ High-fiber breakfast cereal.
✓ Skim or 1% milk.
(Please don’t let me get old!)
– “Nutrition Action Health Letter”
THE LIES HE TELLS HER:
▪ “I tried to call, but I thought is was too late and I didn’t want to wake you.”
▪ “I’d love to go shoe shopping with you.”
▪ “Yes, I noticed your new haircut, and yes, it looks wonderful.”
▪ “I’ll be home in half an hour.”
▪ “I’m listening.”
▪ “One more beer and then we can leave.”
THE LIES SHE TELLS HIM:
▪ “I don’t want a serious relationship either.”
▪ “I would never tell my girlfriends your secrets.”
▪ “My mother and I have a really good, healthy relationship.”
▪ “I would never go through your personal stuff.”
▪ “Those models look ill. I would never want to be that thin.”
▪ “I’ll be ready in 10 minutes.”
– Excerpted from Cosmopolitan.com
DID YOU KNOW?
According to the World Bamboo Organization, there are about 1,500 uses for bamboo material … including socks.
– BBC News
BS CHRONOMETER 04.10.12
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1969  Mike Mushok, Manhasset NY, rock guitarist (Staind-“Believe”, “Right Here”)
1980  Bryce Soderberg, Victoria BC, rock bassist (Lifehouse-“Broken”, “Hanging By a Moment”)
1982  Chyler Leigh, Charlotte NC, TV actress (‘Lexie Grey’ on “Grey’s Anatomy” since 2007)
1984  Mandy Moore, Nashua NH, movie actress (“License to Wed”, “A Walk to Remember”)/pop singer (“Candy”)/wed to singer-songwriter Ryan Adams since 2009
1985  Dion Phaneuf, Edmonton AB, NHL defenceman (Toronto Maple Leafs)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Golfers Day”, honoring everyone who walks a mile chasing the little white ball, on the 96th anniversary of the 1916 founding of the Professional Golfers’ Association.
BS SIGNS YOU’RE THE WORLD’S WORST GOLFER:
– Bubba Watson’s sponsored by Ping. You’re sponsored by Value Village.
– A hoe and a trip to the nursery are required to replace your divots.
– You steadfastly refuse to use the big end of the club like everybody else.
– 6 weeks-worth of practice at your local course and that damn windmill is still beating you.
• “International Be Kind to Lawyers Day”, in support of those who get a lot of grief just for choosing their career. Jokes are made about them and they consistently rank as one of the least-respected professions on the planet. This is one day to celebrate the good things they do.
• “Library Workers Day”, honoring all the experts in the Dewey Decimal System who stock the shelves with books that both educate and fascinate. First observed in 1958 as part of “National Library Week”.
• “One Day Without Shoes”, an annual event to promote awareness of the millions of children who are shoeless. Some 250,000 are expected to support the cause by going barefoot today.
• “Salvation Army Founders Day”, observed on the 1829 birth anniversary of William Booth, who in 1865 established mission stations in London to feed and house the poor. In 1878 he named the organization the Salvation Army. (Without them, [co-host] wouldn’t have a wardrobe!)
• “Siblings Day”, celebrating brothers and sisters who are living, those who aren’t … and perhaps those who shouldn’t be.
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2007  A judge in the Bahamas rules that the birth father of Anna Nicole Smith’s baby girl Dannielynn is Larry Birkhead (not Howard K Stern … or anyone else taking credit)
2009  “Hannah Montana: The Movie” opens in theaters, starring Miley Cyrus
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2002  South Carolina Governor James Hodges makes it official by declaring James Brown the state’s ‘Godfather Of Soul’
2007  Johnny Cash’s last home in Hendersonville TN, purchased by Barry Gibb of The Bee Gees after his death, burns to the ground
TODAY’S FIRSTS . . .
1912  The “RMS Titanic” sets sail from Southampton, England on its ill-fated maiden voyage
1937  Founding of Trans-Canada Airlines (now Air Canada)
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
2005  Golfer Tiger Woods becomes the 1st to win 4 Masters titles under age 30, by sinking a 15-foot birdie putt on the 1st hole of a sudden-death playoff vs Chris DiMarco
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Wed] Barbershop Quartet Day
[Wed] Pet Day
[Wed] World Parkinson’s Disease Day
[Thurs] Support Teen Literature Day
[Fri] “The Cabin In the Woods”; “Lockout”; “The Three Stooges” open in movie theaters
[Fri] Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival begins (Indio CA)
This Week Is … Guitar Week
This Month Is … Multicultural Communication Month
BS EUPHEMISMS FOR PICKING YOUR NOSE:
‘Digging for gold’ has become so passé, how about …
✓ Grooming the chimp.
✓ Taking inventory.
✓ Picking a winner.
✓ Tickling the genie.
✓ Massaging the brain through extraordinary means.
✓ Burying the finger.
✓ Choosing your nugget wisely.
✓ Taming the magic loogie.
✓ Looking for Waldo.
BS PHONE STARTER:
☎ What’s TV’s best show about women? (Some say it’s “Game of Thrones”“, which is filled with strong female characters that have lots to say about modern sexism.)
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Saw this bumper sticker on the way in this morning: “Honk If You Love Peace and Quiet”.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: According to a recent survey, THIS is our #1 leisure activity.
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
People are neither suddenly rich nor suddenly good.