Thursday, August 16, 2007 Edition: #3593
Ah, the Sweet Smell of BS!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
Late “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin’s 8-year-old daughter Bindi is getting her own fashion line, Bindi Wear International, with 100% of proceeds going towards Australian conservation programs . . . Michael Jackson’s former entertainment lawyers, Lavely & Singer of Los Angeles, have filed a lawsuit claiming he owes them more than $113,000 (does this guy EVER pay his bills?) . . . Actor Eddie Murphy has hired a hotshot lawyer who’s threatening to sue his baby mama, Spice Girl Melanie Brown, for ‘defamation and extortion’ if she spreads any more ‘lies’ about him (dude, just pay up the child support and move on) . . . The casting hole created by Mandy Patinkin’s sudden departure from “Criminal Minds” (CBS/CTV) has been plugged with veteran actor Joe Mantegna (“The Last Don”, “The Godfather III”), who’ll portray an FBI Special Agent who makes a comeback after taking early retirement (Mandy’s leaving is the best promotion this show’s ever had!) . . . In order to secure primary custody of their 2 kids, Kevin Federline is continuing to have court summons served to ex-wife Britney Spears’ entourage, the most recent going to former assistant Shannon Funk & former bodyguard Daimon Shippen who are expected to be forced to testify about her parenting skills (or lack thereof) . . . Meantime, Britney is said to be preparing yet another ‘surprise’ performance for the “MTV Video Music Awards” (SEPTEMBER 9th) which she’s been prepping with the help of manager Jeff Kwatinetz (recently canned by Kelly Clarkson) . . . 71-year-old opera legend Luciano Pavarotti has been given the go-ahead by Italian doctors to leave the hospital where he was admitted LAST WEEK with a fever, but he’s decided to stay a few more days for good measure (the food must be good) . . . Ex-con Paris Hilton has unloaded her Spanish-style Hollywood Hills home for $4.25 million after it was listed for just 10 days (she bought it for $2.9 million in 2004) . . . And “Idol: The Musical”, a satirical look at “American Idol“, has lasted just 1 day off-Broadway before getting voted off by lack of interest (dawg, that’s harsh!).
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Amy Winehouse – According to her mother-in-law Georgette Civil, she’s addicted to both heroin and cocaine. Contrary to previous reports, she & hubby Blake Fielder-Civil are now said to have checked into The Causeway, located on a remote island off the UK coast. Touted as Europe’s most exclusive rehab facility, treatment costs circa $20,000-a-week. Is there a couple rate?
• CRS (Child Rebel Soldiers) – It looks like the collaboration of Kanye West, Pharrell Williams, and Lupe Fiasco will be more than just a one-off for Kanye’s online mix-tape as the supa-group now plans to record a full album.
• John Lennon – For the first time, 16 of his solo albums are now available for download through iTunes. For a limited 30-day period, exclusive video content is included.
• John Mellencamp – After spending the better part of the past year writing a slew of new songs, he’s started recording his 22nd album THIS WEEK at his studio near Bloomington IN.
• Lily Allen – The “LDN” singer has reportedly had a small tattoo of ‘Homer Simpson’ inked on her wrist. Is she a fan … or a walking billboard for “The Simpsons Movie”?
• Marilyn Manson – His actress-girlfriend Evan Rachel Wood says making love while it rained ‘blood’ on the set of his music video “Heart-Shaped Glasses” was one of the most romantic moments of her life. Heart-warming, ain’t it?
• Wu-Tang Clan – Their new album “8 Diagrams” will feature the track “Gently Weeps” which heavily samples The Beatles classic “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”. George Harrison’s son Dhani appears on the track along with Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• Common – The Chicago hip-hop artist performs “The People” on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC).
• Nicole Richie – She’s been ordered to personally appear in Los Angeles Superior Court for today’s hearing regarding her long delayed DUI case. Can her lawyers squeeze out another continuance?
• Satellite Party – Perry Farrell’s latest band continues its late night talk show tour on “Last Call With Carson Daly” (NBC).
• Steve McQueen – A 1963 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso owned by the legendary late actor goes under the hammer at Christie’s International Motor Cars 2007 auction in Monterey CA. It’s expected to fetch between $800,000 and $1.2 million.
• Taylor Hicks – This afternoon he guests on the “Ellen DeGeneres Show” (syndicated/CityTV).
A BS selection of movies in the making …
• “ABCD Camp” – James Gandolfini will star in this HBO movie as Sonny Vaccaro, the real-life sports exec who brokered multimillion-dollar sneaker endorsement deals for NBA stars like Michael Jordan, LeBron James, and Kobe Bryant.
• “Bachelor #2“ – Kate Hudson, Dane Cook, and Alec Baldwin will star in this comedy about a guy who’s hired to take girls on bad dates so they go crawling back to the boyfriends they dumped. But when he’s asked to show his best friend’s ex- a horrible time … guess what? … he falls for her.
• “Dancing With Shiva” – Anne Hathaway (“Becoming Jane”, “The Devil Wears Prada”) has just joined the ensemble cast of Jonathan Demme’s upcoming dark comedy. She’ll play a rehab-frequenting ex-model who comes home to stay with her mother (Deborah Winger) on the eve of her sister’s wedding. Cameras roll NEXT MONTH.
• “Escape From Tehran” – George Clooney’s production company is developing a movie based on this true story about CIA fake-identity expert Antonio Mendez, who helped smuggle 6 Americans out of Iran in 1979 while dozens of others were being held hostage at the US embassy in Tehran. (An American slant on what was tagged ‘The Canadian Caper’, engineered by Canada’s then-ambassador Ken Taylor.)
• “Notorious” – This long-in-the-works bio-pic about late rapper Notorious BIG (Christopher Wallace) is finally gaining some traction. It’s hoped that a look-alike/sound-alike will be found to play the lead role through an open casting call for audition videos online.
WHAT’S IN A NAME?
Researcher Brett Pelham at State University of New York at Buffalo claims that we’re drawn to professions, places, and people that remind us of ourselves. Something as seemingly superficial as a name can influence the course of our whole lives. For instance, stats show that people named ‘Dennis’ or ‘Denise’ are disproportionately likely to become dentists; while those named ‘Lawrence’ or ‘Laurie’ are disproportionately likely to become lawyers. (Girls named ‘Bambi’ are most likely to be ‘professionals’.)
– “New York Times”
FROM THE BS POLL VAULT:
A BS snapshot of who we are and what we do …
• 60% of today’s parents of small children are unable to recite a single nursery rhyme.
• 54% of employees say they couldn’t be paid enough to do their boss’ job.
• 50% of us have caught someone asleep on-the-job, while 28% have fallen asleep at work ourselves. Auto mechanics have the highest rate of on-the-job snoozing (65%), followed by government workers (51%).
• 48% of Americans say their favorite leisure activity is … eating.
• 35% of married women say that if they could change one thing about their spouses, they’d make them ‘better looking’.
• 34% of men & 29% of women have used their BlackBerrys, PDAs or cellphones to initiate sex.
GRAPPLING WITH THE STATS:
44-year-old former WWE star Brian ‘Crush’ Adams, found dead MONDAY, is just the latest in a long line of pro wrestlers who’ve met an early demise. As well as Chris Benoit, who murdered his wife & son before hanging himself in JUNE, some 100 other famous wrestlers have died since 1985 before reaching age 65. Among them …
• Chris & Mike Von Erich (aged 21 & 23)
• Owen Hart (33)
• Yokozuna (34)
• Ravishing Rick Rude (41)
• Miss Elizabeth (42)
• Bam Bam Bigelow (45)
• Junkyard Dog (45)
• Andre the Giant (46)
• Sherri Martel (49)
• Dick the Bruiser (62)
– “Pro Wrestling Illustrated Almanac”
BS AMAZING FACTS:
• More people die as a result of dog attacks in the United States each year than have been killed by sharks in the past 100 years.
– “The Telegraph”
• The same ingredient that flavors salt-and-vinegar potato chips can be used to waterproof concrete.
AND WE QUOTE:
“I hate reading magazines where actresses are saying, ‘Broccoli and fish, broccoli and fish.’ You liars! You bulimic liars!”
– Newly-svelte Courtney Love, admitting to “Harper’s Bazaar” that she’s gotten skinny thanks to “colonics and fasting”.
BS CHRONOMETER 08.16.07
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1954  James Cameron, Kapuskasing ON, movie director/producer/writer (Oscar-“Titanic”, “Terminator”)/1st director to film both a $100-million movie (“True Lies” 1994) and a $200-million movie (“Titanic” 1997) UP NEXT: The now-shooting sci-fi thriller, “Avatar”, due in 2009.
1957  Tim Farriss, Perth, Australia, rock guitarist (INXS-“Pretty Vegas”, “New Sensation”)/TV reality show personality (“Rock Star: INXS” 2005)
1958  Madonna (Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone), Bay City MI, pop singer (“Hung Up”, “Take a Bow”)/bad film actress (“Swept Away”, “Die Another Day”)/Mrs Guy Ritchie since 2000/mom to Rocco & Lourdes FACTOID: She’s reportedly planning to ring in her 50th year with a special gig in NYC’s Central Park on August 16, 2008.
1958  Angela Bassett, NYC, movie actress (“Akeelah & the Bee”, “What’s Love Got to Do with It”)
1959  Laura Innes, Pontiac MI, TV actress (‘Dr Kerry Weaver’ on “ER” since 1995)
1963  Steve Carell, Acton MA, TV actor (‘Michael Scott’ on “The Office” since 2005)/movie actor (“Little Miss Sunshine”, “The 40 Year Old Virgin”) COMING UP: Plays secret agent ‘Maxwell Smart’ in the bigscreen adaptation of the classic TV comedy “Get Smart” (2008), and the ‘Mayor of Whoville’ in the animated version of Dr Seuss’ “Horton Hears a Who” (2008).
1972  Emily Robison (Erwin), Pittsfield MA, country singer (Dixie Chicks-“Travelin’ Soldier”, “Landslide”)
1980  Vanessa Carlton, Milford PA, pop singer (“A Thousand Miles”, “Ordinary Day”)
1986  Shawn Pyfrom, Tampa FL, TV actor (‘Andrew Van De Kamp’ on “Desperate Housewives” since 2004)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Roller Coaster Day”, celebrating every amusement park’s fast track to fun. The idea for the roller coaster was first patented by LaMarcus Adna Thompson in 1885.
WORLD’S TOP ROLLER COASTERS:
According to a poll of roller coaster aficionados, these are currently the world’s best …
5. “Millennium Force”, Cedar Point, Sandusky OH.
4. “El Toro”, Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson NJ.
3. “Voyage”, Holiday World, Santa Claus IN.
2. “Superman: Ride of Steel”, Six Flags New England, Agawam MA.
1. “Expedition GeForce”, Holiday Park, Hassloch, Germany.
– “Coaster Grotto”
• “Tell-A-Joke Day”, a good day to have people call in with really rotten jokes, then tutor them on how to make them funnier.
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENT . . .
1977  Elvis Presley is found dead, lying on the floor of a bathroom in his Memphis TN Graceland mansion at age 42 after suffering cardiac arrhythmia
BS ELVIS FACTS:
• Elvis Presley Enterprises manages the $40-million-a-year business dealing in all things Elvis. Lisa Marie Presley sold 85% of the company 2 years ago to CKX Inc, which now controls the worldwide marketing of the Elvis name and image.
• Candy-maker Hershey is commemorating the 30th anniversary of Elvis’ death with a limited-edition Reese’s peanut-butter-and-banana-creme cup. And yes, it’s available in ‘King’ size.
• Beginning TODAY 62-year-old actress Suzanna Leigh, who played Elvis’ love interest in “Paradise, Hawaiian Style” (1966), is hosting a 3-day event in Memphis for Presley’s former co-stars, directors, and other movie colleagues.
• California entrepreneur Reno Fontana is busy developing Presley’s vacation home in Palm Springs CA as a tourist attraction. Elvis & Priscilla Presley bought the Spanish-style white stucco house in 1970. Plans are underway to decorate it in elaborate Elvis style and build a chapel, banquet hall, and recording studio to attract weddings and recording business.
• For the first time ever, Graceland has sanctioned a ‘tribute artist’ competition this year (they refuse to use the term ‘Elvis impersonator‘). The 10 finalists will compete for the title of ‘Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist’ this FRIDAY at the Cannon Center for the Performing Arts in Memphis.
• A new video of Lisa Marie Presley singing Elvis’ 1969 hit “In the Ghetto”, accompanied electronically by her dad, will be posted online FRIDAY at Spinner.com.
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1999  “Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?” debuts (ABC/CTV) as a summer fill-in special hosted by Regis Philbin, but quickly goes on to become TV’s #1 show FACTOID: SATURDAY Britain’s ITV (which developed the original show in 1998) will unveil a new-look, revamped version that features a faster route to the jackpot.
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
1930  1st “British Empire Games” (now “Commonwealth Games”) open in Hamilton ON
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1960  Joseph Kittinger sets world record for ‘Successful Free Fall’, dropping 84,700 ft – more than 16 miles – before opening his parachute over New Mexico
1974  Cindy Nicholas swims across Lake Ontario in a record 15 hours, 18 minutes
COMING UP . . .
[Fri] Thriftshop Day
[Fri] “High School Musical 2” airs (Disney Channel/Family Channel)
[Fri] “Death at a Funeral”; “The Invasion”; “The Last Legion”; “Superbad” open in movie theaters
[Fri-Sept 3] Canadian National Exhibition (Toronto)
[Sat] Bad Poetry Day
[Sun] Aviation Day
[Mon] Potato Day
[Mon] Radio Day
[Mon] Discovery Day (Yukon)
This Week Is … Reduce the Clutter Week (especially on-air!)
This Month Is … Children’s Vision & Learning Month
• Whyzit there aren’t any female Sumo wrestlers?
• Whyzit rock climbers don’t just wear a parachute?
• Whyzit we haven’t renamed the ‘glove compartment’ the ‘gun compartment’?
• Whyzit we call it a ‘walk’ when a baseball batter jogs to 1st base and becomes a ‘runner’?
• Whyzit peanut butter always gets top billing over jelly?
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Nobody is sicker than the person who is sick on their day off.
BS PHONE STARTER:
When women observe a loving couple they sometimes comment, “See, there’s someone for everyone!” Isn’t that just a sly way of saying … even ugly folks can get lucky?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Today’s Question: Having at least one of THESE reduces the likelihood a couple will divorce.
Answer to Give Out Next Show: A son. (Daughters, however, don’t have the same effect.)
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
The truth depends on whose lies you listen to.