Friday, January 7, 2005 Edition: #2943
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
TODAY the 3rd annual ‘Celebrity Sport Invitational‘ winter sports weekend gets underway in Banff AB, an environmental fund-raiser co-hosted by actors Alec Baldwin & Meg Ryan that will feature celebs like Nicollette Sheridan (“Desperate Housewives”), William Shatner & Woody Harrelson embarrassing themselves in events like tobogganing & cross-country skiing . . . TONIGHT through February 26th the “Grand Ole Opry” returns to its famous former home, the historic Ryman Auditorium in downtown Nashville, for a 2-month run . . . TOMORROW Jennifer Garner WILL attend the premiere of her new movie “Elektra” in Las Vegas, having sufficiently recovering from nerve damage suffered while filming a stunt for her TV show “Alias” (not a ‘viral infection’ as previously reported) . . . Fans are streaming into Memphis TN to mark what would have been Elvis Presley’s 70th birthday SATURDAY (events include the annual “Elvis Presley Day” ceremony at Graceland, and a memorial hockey game where limited-edition ‘Elvis Presley Commemorative Hockey Pucks’ will be available) . . . SUNDAY FOX-TV (Global-TV in Canada) premieres the 4th season of “24″ as a 2-day, 4-hour event (2 hours SUNDAY, 2 hours MONDAY), then the show will settle back into it’s regular MONDAY time slot (Council on American-Islamic Relations is protesting the first episode which portrays a Muslim family as terrorists) . . . “American Idol” reject William Hung (“She Bangs”) is touring the Far East promoting his first movie, an action-comedy called “Where is Mama’s Boy?” (so much exposure, so little talent!) . . . Oh no, say it isn’t so! Daytime TV gabber “Dr Phil” has been renewed – through 2009 (never trust a fat guy that manages to sell a book on dieting).
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Julie Roberts – TONIGHT she does “Tonight Show With Jay Leno”.
• Keith Urban – Hot on the heels of his first AC hit, “You’ll Think of Me”, he’ll return to his native Australia for a FEBRUARY tour.
• Kenny Chesney – He’ll appear on the JANUARY 15th NBC telethon for tsunami victims, joining Christina Aguilera, Sheryl Crow & actor George Clooney.
• Motley Crue – SUNDAY Vince Neil will marry his longtime girlfriend Lia Gerardini in Las Vegas. Neil’s ex-“Surreal Life” co-star MC Hammer will perform the ceremony.
• OutKast – Andre 3000 has signed up for a role in the movie “Four Brothers”, about siblings seeking to avenge their mother’s death. Actor Mark Wahlberg will star.
• U2 – They’re on “Saturday Night Live” TOMORROW on NBC-TV.
TODAY’S MOVIE OPENING:
“White Noise” (PG-13 Thriller): Michael Keaton plays a man who is contacted from beyond the grave by his murdered wife. The ‘White Noise’ in the title refers to what’s known as ‘EVP’ (‘Electronic Voice Phenomena’). Listen carefully, believers will tell you, and amidst the white noise of a detuned radio you might hear voices and amidst the white noise of a detuned TV, you might see faces. These, they’ll tell you, are the voices and faces of the dead. (Try an experiment where you ‘manipulate’ the listeners tuners slightly off your station, then play sound bites of famous dead people in the BG.)
31ST PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS
SUNDAY on CBS-TV (CTV in Canada), the annual movie/TV/music awards are handed out as voted on by fans. The nominees were compiled by the producers along with “Entertainment Weekly” magazine, then the public was encouraged to vote online. The music nominees …
• Favorite Group: Evanescence, Maroon 5, No Doubt, OutKast, U2.
• Favorite Male Singer: Eminem, Josh Groban, John Mayer, Prince, Usher.
• Favorite Female Singer: Sheryl Crow, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Avril Lavigne, Sarah McLachlan.
• Favorite Remake: “Carwash” by Christina Aguilera, Missy Elliot, Lil’ Kim; “The First Cut is the Deepest” by Sheryl Crow; “It’s My Life” by No Doubt; “Livin’ La Vida Loca” by Antonio Banderas & Eddie Murphy; “Take My Breath Away” by Jessica Simpson.
2005 CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW:
The world’s largest consumer technology show winds up THIS WEEKEND in Las Vegas where some 2,400 exhibitors and 120,000 attendees have converged to show off the latest in electronic gizmos and gadgets.This is the show where many of the devices we now use were introduced (VCR in 1970, DVD in 1996, HDTV in 1998, Xbox in 2001). Among this year’s innovations …
• Samsung is exhibiting the world’s biggest flat-panel TV, with a 102-inch plasma screen.
• TiVo is introducing ‘TiVoToGo’, a new service that lets users transfer recorded TV shows onto laptops, DVDs and other portable media players.
• Sling Media is displaying the ‘SlingBox Personal Broadcaster’, a device that lets users watch regular TV on any Internet-connected gadget, including laptops, PDAs and cell phones.
• And Sony has unwrapped its revolutionary ‘PlayStation Portable’ (to be called ‘PSP’), which not only plays sophisticated games, but also music, movies, video and photos. It’s expected to be priced at less than $200 when it hits the market in late MARCH.
HOW TO PICK A NAME:
According to a new poll, here’s what we think the most important factors are in choosing a name for a baby …
• The sound of the name. (54%)
• The name’s uniqueness. (30%)
• Honoring a friend or family member. (8%)
• Naming after a parent. (6%)
• The popularity of the name. (1%)
• Naming after a celebrity. (0.6%)
IF YOU’RE SO SMART, WHY’D YOU GET MARRIED?
A new British study shows that smart guys are much more likely to marry than those with lesser intelligence, but for female brainers – the reverse is true! The research is based on 900 men and women who had their IQs measured at age 11 and then were interviewed 40 years later to find out if they had ever wed. For males there was a 35% increase in the likelihood of marriage for each 16-point rise in IQ, while for females there was a 40% drop for each 16-point increase. (This goes a long way toward explaining Anna Nicole Smith, Jessica Simpson …)
– “Times of London”
COMMON MALE MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT WOMEN:
• Women like bad boys.
• Women are easily won over with gifts.
• Women appreciate your persistence.
– Fun Online
SEE BABY SMILE:
Expectant parents will soon be able to see 3-dimensional footage of their unborn babies smiling and yawning … and take it home on DVD! British company RSG 4D Baby Imaging has developed the new technology which offers a real-time moving image of the unborn child which can be recorded as a keepsake. It differs from a regular ultrasound scan in that the baby can be seen smiling, yawning, sucking its thumb and actually moving around. (Is it a bad omen if its crying … while flipping you the bird?)
BS AMAZING FACT:
World languages are disappearing at the rate of one every 2 weeks.
– “The Economist”
THE BULL SHEET 01.07.2K5
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1946  Jann Wenner, NYC, magazine publisher (“Rolling Stone”, “Us Weekly”)
1948  Kenny Loggins, Everett WA, oldies singer (“Footloose”, “This is It”) FACTOID: He’ll be a celebrity judge this season on “American Idol”.
1956  David Caruso, Forest Hills NY, TV actor (‘Lieutenant Horatio Caine’ on “CSI: Miami” since 2002, “NYPD Blue” 1993-94)
1957  Katie Couric, Arlington VA, perky TV host (NBC-TV’s “Today Show” since 1991) who’s being talked about as news anchor Dan Rather’s replacement at CBS-TV
1964  Nicolas Cage (Coppola), Long Beach CA, movie actor (“National Treasure”, Oscar-“Leaving Las Vegas”)/ex-husband of Patricia Arquette & Lisa Marie Presley/movie director Francis Ford Coppola’s nephew
1990  Liam Aiken, NYC, movie actor (‘Klaus Baudelaire’ in “Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events”)
SATURDAY’S BIRTHDAYS . . .
Classic rocker David Bowie (“Fame”) is 58; Singer R Kelly (“Ignition”) is 38; Singer Sean Paul (“Get Busy”) is 32; Toronto actress Sarah Polley (“Dawn of the Dead”) is 26.
SUNDAY’S BIRTHDAYS . . .
CBS-TV sportscaster Dick Enberg is 70; Former TV actor Bob Denver (“Gilligan’s Island”) is 70; Guitarist Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) is 61; Pop singer Steve Harwell (Smash Mouth) is 38; Rocker Dave Matthews (Dave Matthews Band) is 38; Pop singer AJ McLean (Backstreet Boys) is 27.
BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
TODAY IS –
• “Organize Your Home Day” (even better, have some TV show do it for you!)
• “Orthodox Christmas” or “Julian Calendar Christmas” in many countries worldwide.
• “Show & Tell Day at Work”, a chance to partake in the old kindergarten ritual with co-workers.
• “I’m Not Going to Take It Anymore Day” (aka Winona Ryder Remembrance Day)
• “Old Rock Day”, so don’t take it for granite!
SATURDAY IS –
• “Women’s Day” in Greece, when women spend the day in cafes while men do housework.
• “Bubble Bath Day”, a chance to kick on back in a relaxing tub.
• “Pharmacists Day”, honoring all those drug dealers who are legal.
SUNDAY IS –
• “National Static Electricity Day”, always a bad hair day.
• “Step-Father’s Day”, to honor step-dads who make special efforts with their adopted families.
MONDAY IS –
• “BS Egg Balancing Day”, when you can take an average egg, place it on it’s fat end and it stands on its own! Don’t forget to bring in a dozen for an in-studio ‘eggs-periment’.
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENT . . .
1958  Gibson patents the famous ‘Flying V’ guitar
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
1992  1st ‘video-telephone’ goes on sale ($1,499)
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1964  Pro bowler Dick Weber rolls the highest bowling game ever – aboard a Boeing 707
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Sat] Elvis Presley’s Birthday (January 8, 1935)
[Sat] Eat Something Raw Day
[Mon] Thank God It’s Monday Day
[Mon] Clean-Off-Your-Desk Day
[Mon] Peculiar People Day
[Tues] Tattoo Pride Day
This Week Is . . . Celebration of Life Week
This Month Is . . . Financial Wellness Month
BULL’S BITS . . .
• TODAY through April the “Ice Hotel Québec-Canada” opens for a 5th season on a lake 40 km west of Québec City. The hotel made completely of ice features an indoor skating rink, snow golf, an indoor spa, cross-country skiing and an ice chapel for weddings. A special ‘5th Anniversary Package’ offers a room for 2 for 1 night for $499! Only about 5% of the hotel’s patrons are Canadian.
PHONER: 877.505.0423/418.875.4522 (Sainte-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier QC)
• SUNDAY-January 23rd is the “2005 North American International Auto Show”, one of the world’s largest, in the ‘Motor City’, Detroit MI. Sunday-Tuesday are ‘Press Preview Days’. Wednesday-Thursday are ‘Industry Preview Days’ and the annual ‘Charity Preview’ fund-raiser runs next Friday. The public finally gets to see the flashy new cars January 15th-23rd.
PHONER: 888.838.7500/248.643.0250 (general info)/248.362.4200 (John Bailey, PR)
• SUNDAY is the 18th annual “Sunrise Festival” in Inuvik NT, celebrating the reappearance of the sun after 6 weeks of total darkness. Bonfires and fireworks are the order of the day. So how do you survive winter in total darkness?
PHONER: 867.777.8611 (Fire Department)/867.777.8632 (Melissa Schab)
BS ‘GREAT FRUITCAKE TOSS’:
Here’s a fun little public service you can provide for listeners: invite them to bring all the leftover fruitcake they were given over the holiday season to your next club promotion or outdoor event, then stage a distance competition for the longest toss. Your grand prize might include a dinner certificate for ‘real food’ or maybe … a case of fruitcake.
BS WEB GOODIE:
• Check out the ‘Internet Movie Prank Call Database’ for some wacky results of people calling movie theaters for info. Be careful to audition the material! Some of the language may offend.
• Wow! Here’s 150 downloadable sound bites that we just stumbled across. Perfect for drop-ins and production pieces.
BS BLATANT JOKES:
• It’s the 99% of lawyers that give the rest a bad name.
• Five days a week my body is a temple. The other two, an amusement park.
The week’s most requested music files online …
1. Mario – “Let Me Love You”
2. Usher – “My Boo”
3. Eminem – “Like Toy Soldiers”
4. Ludacris – “Get Back”
5. Green Day – “Boulevard Of Broken Dreams”
– Big Champagne online music measurement.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Today’s Question: About 65% of kids have one of THESE, then lose it around age 7.
Answer to Give Out Next Show: An imaginary friend.
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
A conscience does not prevent sin, it only prevents you from enjoying it.