Wednesday, July 25, 2018 – Edition: #6262
Bully For You!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Meghan Markle’s half sister Samantha might be appearing on “Celebrity Big Brother”. While rumors, speculation, and reports that Samantha is set to make six figures for being on the show haven’t been confirmed, she seemed to low-key confirm the news of her casting. When asked about it by Inside Edition, Samantha Markle said, “Why not? Life is about cashing in. You take opportunities as they arise and hopefully you enjoy the ride and make it as positive as you can. There’s nothing wrong with it.”
(For thousands of years, man has been searching for the meaning of life, and Samantha Markle knew the answer all along. ‘Cashing In’!)
★ Russell Crowe has baffled fans by sharing a video of himself combing his bushy beard while singing a hymn on Instagram. He posted the footage on Monday, showing him running a comb through his long, coarse grey beard as he bends over and watches what he’s doing in his recording device, which is placed on a lower surface, possibly next to a sink, in a bathroom. In the caption, Crowe wrote “The actor prepares”. He previously showed off his singing skills in movie musical “Les Miserables”.
★ Tom Hardy has confirmed there are plans to make two more ‘Mad Max’ movies. Hardy played the title character in “Mad Max: Fury Road” in 2015. The film was a huge critical success and received 10 Academy Award nominations, going on to win six. Hardy says: “It was always the plan to do three of them, so I think we’re still waiting on being given the opportunity and the green light to go ahead on the next one.”
★ Nicholas “Duffy” Fudge, one of the fishermen featured on the National Geographic Channel’s reality show “Wicked Tuna”, has died. He was 28. Duffy was the first mate on Captain Tyler McLaughlin’s fishing vessel, Pinwheel, and appeared on both “Wicked Tuna” and the spinoff series “Wicked Tuna: Outer Banks”.
★ Dennis Quaid opened up about his severe cocaine addiction in an interview with Megyn Kelly. He says in the early days of his career, cocaine use was so accepted that, “it was even in some movie budgets”, and by the 1980s, he “was basically doing cocaine pretty much on a daily basis”. Finally, he had an epiphany, or as he called it, “a white light experience”, where he saw himself “either dead or losing everything that meant anything to me.” That led to a 1990 stint in rehab, where he went after sitting down his then-fiancée, Meg Ryan, and explaining the severity of his addiction.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Henry Cavill, Jeff Ross, Brent Cobb
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Alec Baldwin, Hannah Gadsby, Nikki & Brie Bella, Toots & the Maytals
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): John Dickerson
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Amy Poehler, Fall Out Boy, Nate Smith
• “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): David Spade, Simon Pegg, Now United
• “Conan” (TBS/Comedy): James Comey, Tig Notaro, Cory Kahaney ( R )
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Ramona Singer, Meghan McCain
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Dr. Doris Day
• “The Talk” (CBS): Jaymes Vaughan
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Ryan Philippe, Sutton Foster, Daughtry
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Allison Janney, Zach Woods ( R )
• “Big Brother 20” (CBS): Houseguests compete to win the Power of Veto.
• “TKO: Total Knock Out” (CBS): A baseball coach and fashion designer are among the five competitors who are pumped to tackle the course.
• “Burden of Truth” (CW): Series premiere. A high-powered attorney returns to her rural hometown to get a major pharma client off the hook in a case involving some sick high school girls, but discovers there’s much more than meets the eye.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Drake – Some of his fans are jumping out of moving vehicles for a viral challenge. The challenge – which has been imitated by celebrities including Will Smith and Ciara – went viral after comedian TheShiggyShow posted a video of himself dancing to ‘In My Feelings’. While there have been no reports of injuries stemming from the #InMyFeelings challenge, the videos of people painfully falling onto roads speak for themselves.
• DJ Khaled – has announced the Friday release of his new single ‘No Brainer’ featuring Justin Bieber, Chance The Rapper & Quavo. It will be the debut single from his forthcoming “Father of Asahd” album.
• R. Kelly – On Monday, he dropped a 19-minute-long song, that addresses his “sex cult” and sex tape allegations. It’s called ‘I Admit’, even though in the song he technically admits to nothing.
• Hedley – Toronto police have charged frontman Jacob Hoggard with three sexual offences involving two women. 34-year-old Jacob Hoggard is scheduled to appear in a Toronto courtroom tomorrow. The alleged offences occurred in 2016.
• Billy Joel – says he has no plans for a ‘farewell’ tour like some of his contemporaries. He does, however, joke about what his final show might be like: “The stage is a living-room set: couch, TV, coffee table, food. And there’s bulletproof glass between me and the audience. Then I come out and lay down on the couch. I grab the remote and start watching TV.” After a few minutes, the crowd gets mad and starts throwing things at the glass, by which time, “I’ll have created a bond between me and the audience where I know they will never pay another nickel to see me again.”
• David Bowie – What is thought to be his first ever documented recording, created during his time with a band called the Konrads, is going up for auction this Fall. The 1963 tape of a 16 year-old Bowie (then David Jones) singing a song called ‘I Never Dreamed’ was found by the band’s drummer in his garage loft. Bidding will start at about $13,000 U.S.
• Bob Dylan – will release “Live 1962 – 1966: Rare Performances From the Copyright Collections” on July 27. The 2-CD set is drawn from limited-run compilations Sony has released in the past six years to protect the recordings from European copyright law, which stipulates that recordings that remain unreleased for 50 years enter the public domain.
• John Lennon – His killer Mark David Chapman is scheduled to appear before a parole panel the week of Aug. 20. It will be the 10th time he’s been eligible for parole. The previous nine he’s been rejected.
• Pistol Annies – Angaleena Presley says the trio have finished recording their third studio album. No release date yet. On July 18, the group — comprised of Presley, Miranda Lambert and Ashley Monroe — shared an image of themselves in the recording studio.
• Cam – has announced her fall “Road to Happiness” tour. The 16-date trek kicks off in her home city of Nashville on Sept. 26. She is currently on the road opening for Sam Smith.
BEANS FOR BREAKFAST:
Every week it seems there is a new study on how good or bad coffee is for you. And while at this point, I’m not sure if it is good for me, but I do know that my drinking coffee is good for those AROUND me. Experts are now saying that you should always have something to eat before drinking coffee in the morning. Why? Because coffee ramps up your production of stomach acid, and having some food in there helps prevent the extra acid from eating away at your insides. Ewww! If you drink coffee on an empty stomach too often, the hydrochloric acid your body produces will eventually damage your stomach lining. And that goes for decaf as well. While we’re at it, medical professionals also warn that drinking coffee on an empty stomach can give you symptoms of anxiety, boost your heart rate, make you irritable, and make it harder to focus. If you’re a rookie.
(Surely you don’t expect me to be able to put a breakfast together before I’ve had my morning coffee?)
(And THAT’s exactly why I put coffee in my cereal!)
(How about if I just eat some coffee?)
(I’m not sure if this works for me. I’m the kind of guy who drinks instant coffee while he’s waiting for the coffee to brew!)
Here is a new hot-weather hazard that you’ve probably never considered: An Idaho Power Company worker was on lunch break when he noticed smoke coming from the center console of his truck. The culprit, he was surprised to learn, was a bottle of water. In a video Diono Amuchastegui shared to the company’s Facebook page, he says that when he got closer, he “noticed light was being refracted through a water bottle and starting to catch the seat on fire.” The video shows two burn marks left on the seat of his vehicle. Rare? Yes. But not so rare that it’s unheard of. In a test conducted by Oklahoma’s Midwest City Fire Department, sunlight magnified by a water bottle reached 250 degrees. When the sunlight comes through a plastic bottle filled with liquid, the bottle acts as a magnifying glass, and the result is a focused beam, which can cause combustion. Some fire departments are now warning people about this potential fire hazard.
(So…if you have a bottle of water….don’t drive and NOT drink?)
(Yes, it’s a one-in-a-million chance, but if you’re anything like me, there’s a way better chance of a one-in-a-million BAD thing happening than a one-in-a-million GOOD thing happening!)
HOW TO MINIMIZE MOSQUITOES NATURALLY:
➣ Don’t give them a nearby place to breed: Eliminate standing water where mosquitoes breed by emptying the saucers for plants, hauling off old tires, cleaning rain gutters and frequently changing the water in birdbaths. (What if my car is attached to those old tires?)
➣ Don’t give them a place to hang out during the day: Adult mosquitoes rest during daylight. They spend daylight hours hiding among vegetation. Reduce mosquito shelter in your yard by trimming weeds and keep the grass short. (I KNEW there’d be a catch!)
➣ Plant some natural repellents: Some plants and flowers that look great but also have powerful repellent properties include basil, lavender, lemon thyme, mint, rosemary, marigolds and common lantanas.
➣ Create your own breeze: Strategically placed fans will keep a deck or porch free of mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are weak flyers and will not be able to navigate properly against or within the air stream. (That was sort of a loaded heading!)
BS CHRONOMETER 07.25.18
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1955  Iman (Zara Mohamed Abdulmajid), Mogadishu, Somalia, model (former fashion model, actress and entrepreneur, and the widow of David Bowie)
1967  Matt LeBlanc, Newton MA, TV personality (BBC’s “Top Gear” 2012, 2016-18)/TV actor (“Man With a Plan” 2016-present, “Friends” 1994-2004)
1985  Shantel VanSanten, Luverne MN, TV actress (‘Julie Swagger’ on “Shooter” since 2016, “One Tree Hill” 2009-2012)
1988  Heather Marks, Calgary AB, fashion model (Calvin Klein, Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, Victoria’s Secret)
2000  Mason Cook, Oklahoma City, OK, TV actor (‘Ray DiMeo’ on “Speechless” since 2016)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Hot Fudge Sundae Day”, an annual excuse to indulge in this decadent hot n’cold dessert. (And they couldn’t have arranged to have this on a ‘Sunday’?)
• “Merry-Go-Round Day” (or “Carousel Day”), the anniversary of the mechanical carousel’s first patent in 1871 by William Schneider of Davenport, Iowa. He did not invent it, however, as carousel rides may go back as far as 500 AD.
• “Wine and Cheese Day”. Oh all right … if we have to.
• “Culinarians Day”, a special day to salute anyone who cooks. (I cook. But no one would call me a culinarian!)
• “Thread The Needle Day”, a day for those who sew. The term “thread the needle”, is also a saying. It means to either walk a fine and difficult line between two things or issues, or to do something difficult.
• “Red Shoe Day”, founded in memory of Australian Lyme disease patient, Theda Myint, who died on July 25, 2013. The Inaugural Red Shoe Day was July 25th 2014, an annual remembrance day to remember not only Theda, but all those lost to Lyme and other invisible illnesses worldwide.
COMING UP . . .
[Thurs] Chili Dog Day
[Thurs] Aunt and Uncles Day
[Fri] Bagpipe Appreciation Day
[Fri] Crème Brûlée Day
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1990  1990 Roseanne Barr sings a shrieking and legendarily bad version of the American National Anthem at a Cincinnati Reds-San Diego Padres game. President George Bush refers to it as “disgraceful” (And up until recently, we thought this would forever be the low point of her career…)
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENT . . .
2014  Parody singer-songwriter Weird Al Yankovic’s 14th album, “Mandatory Fun”, becomes the 1st comedy album to hit #1 on the chart in more than 50 years
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
1978  World’s 1st ‘Test Tube Baby’ is born (Louise Brown of Oldham UK, who had been conceived outside her mother’s body using the new technique of ‘in-vitro fertilization’)
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
2010  WikiLeaks publishes more than 76,900 classified documents about the war in Afghanistan, likely the largest leak in military history
BS WACK FACTS:
✓ The man who ordered the grounding of all aircraft in the U.S. on 9/11 was at his first day on the job.
✓ Studies show the key to happiness is spending your money on experiences rather than possessions.
✓ People buy more when they’re hungry, even when shopping for non-edible goods.
✓ Humans are the only mammals that willingly delay sleep.
✓ Coca-Cola never patented its “secret formula” because to do so, they would be required to disclose it to the public.
✓ The Mayans drilled holes into their front teeth and inlaid them with semi-precious stones, basically inventing the grill.
BS UNLIKELY ‘PERKS’ OF PARENTHOOD:
• Use of the world’s most efficient alarm clock.
• A handy excuse to get out of any invitation.
• Access to the Halloween stash after bedtime.
• The opportunity to watch and memorize every Pixar movie.
• Seeing yourself become your parents in front of your own eyes.
• Unlimited access to fruit snacks.
• Trying to deduct your cable bill as ‘child care’ on your tax return.
• The chance to regularly drink cold coffee.
• You can go to Chuck E Cheese for the pizza without looking like a weirdo.
• Unlimited use of the phrase “Because I said so”.
• If you like running errands….!
BS PHONE STARTER:
What is the most embarrassing thing that you’ve ever said?
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Don’t you hate it when someone answers their own questions? I do.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: The average woman does this about 25 times a year. The average man does this 4 times a year. What is it?
Answer: Change the sheets!
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
If you don’t have time to do it right, you must have time to do it over.