Monday, July 30, 2018 Edition: #6265
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ At last check, Wilmer Valderrama was not leaving his ex-girlfriend Demi Lovato’s side. The “That ’70s Show” star, who dated Lovato for six years before splitting in June 2016, is reportedly broken up over news of Lovato’s relapse. A source says that “Wilmer is completely devastated and he still loves Demi and it was just a matter of scheduling and time that they needed to make a romantic relationship work. He was not aware that her issues were this severe and intense.” The duo have remained friendly since calling it quits
★ Carrie Fisher is getting a final moment in the galactic sun. She will be returning for “Star Wars: Episode IX”, with director J.J. Abrams using previously unseen footage of the late actress to conclude the story of Leia Organa. The news came with a cast announcement for the film, which included confirmation that Billy Dee Williams will reprise the role of Lando Calrissian and Mark Hamill will return as Luke Skywalker. It is scheduled for release in Dec. 2019.
★ Jeremy Piven is taking a crack at stand-up, following the disastrous sexual misconduct allegations against him. During an appearance on Fox’s “Good Day New York”, Piven said he is having the “time of his life” with his new gig. He grew up doing improv and sketch comedy at Second City, and says it feels like it was by fate that he was led to stand-up.
★ Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, and rising British star Ella Balinska are all officially confirmed to star in the upcoming reboot of “Charlie’s Angels”. The Elizabeth Banks-directed film will see the next generation of Angels working for the mysterious Charlie. Banks will also play Bosley in the movie. They are aiming for a September 2019 release.
(We need this like we need a “Dukes of Hazzard” reboot. I’d better just shut up…)
★ 96 year-old Betty White says she’ll work ‘forever’ and has no plans to retire… even after 80 years in show business. White began her television career in 1939, the same year that World War 2 broke out in Europe. Steven J. Boettcher, the co-director of the new PBS documentary “Betty White: First Lady of Television”, says that White told him, “I’m going to be in the saddle forever.” He added: “She loves working; she loves the challenge. She’s someone that we’re all better off for that she’s lived this long.”
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Kim Kardashian West, Hayley Atwell, Train
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Mila Kunis, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Bennett
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Judd Apatow, Jace Norman, OneRepublic
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Armie Hammer, Brandon Flowers, Taylor Gordon
• ” The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Mandy Moore, Jenna Dewan, Lisa Best
• “Conan” (TBS/Comedy): Jeff Garlin, Hayley Atwell, Declan McKenna ( R )
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Vicki Gunvalson, Chloe Grace Moretz
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Leslie Jones
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Patricia Clarkson, Sam Heughan, guest co-host Jenna Dewan
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Mark Wahlberg, Ashton Kutcher, Guy Oseary, the “So You Think You Can Dance” All-Stars ( R )
• “The Bachelorette” (ABC): The most memorable bachelors from this season return to confront each other and Becca one last time to dish the dirt, tell their side of the story and share their emotional departures.
• “Diesel Brothers” (DISCOVERY): Season 4 premiere.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Bruno Mars – is reportedly finding it tough to find another act to open his tour in September after Cardi B pulled out last week. Cardi B cancelled her slot on the tour because she “underestimated this whole mommy thing” and didn’t feel six weeks was enough time to get back into performance-ready shape.
• Taylor Swift – donated hundreds of tickets to her show in Foxborough, Mass. Thursday to police and firefighters and their families following the tragic death of a police sergeant. Sgt. Michael Chesna was fatally shot while serving in the line of duty – along with a 77-year-old woman – on July 15.
• Britney Spears – Her dad has offered her ex Kevin Federline more child support in hopes of ending their ongoing legal fight. Jamie Spears recently offered about $10,000 in additional monthly support. That would raise his monthly take to around $30,000.
• Toto – have made good on their promise to return the favor after Weezer’s loving cover of their hit ‘Africa’. They’ve recorded a version of Weezer’s 2001 song ‘Hash Pipe’, which they expect to release in the next few weeks. (That was about the LAST song I expected Toto to do!)
• Journey – Guitarist Neil Schon says he’d love to do an R&B record with former Journey singer Steve Perry. He says Perry’s voice is lower now, and that style would suit him.
• Ozzy Osbourne – spared no expense during a recent LA heatwave, ordering a truckload of ice to be dumped in his swimming pool to try and cool down the water. His wide Sharon shared pics on Facebook, saying that Ozzy was disappointed when the 3,000 lbs. of ice simply melted in the pool, and only reduced the water temperature by three degrees. Sharon reportedly put her foot down and nixed his plan to order more.
• Marilyn Manson – abruptly cancelled a Toronto concert due to “unforeseen illness.” A video posted to Twitter shows the crowd booing as a show official broke the news Thursday evening, shortly before showtime. To help smooth things over, co-headliner Rob Zombie delivered an extended set, including a cover of Manson’s version of ‘Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)’.
• Kelsea Ballerini – What does she do right after a show? As she shared on her Instagram account, her post-concert ritual apparently involves taking her dog Dibs for a walk…and cleaning up after nature’s resulting calls. In the hilarious video, Dibs runs off camera, and you know exactly what he is doing…
• Loretta Lynn – the 86 year-old has recorded a cover of Roger Miller’s ‘Half a Mind’ for the upcoming tribute album “King of the Road: A Tribute to Roger Miller”, out tomorrow. The song was a hit for Ernest Tubb in 1958. Lynn’s version is available for streaming now.
It has long been known that people who live in countries where people eat what is called a ‘Mediterranean diet’, one that is heavy in seafood, tend to live longer, healthier lives. And a diet rich in omega-3s, the fatty acids found in fish and seafood, has a variety of nutritional benefits. Now, here’s another reason to enjoy more family dinners which incorporate seafood: A new study, published in the scholarly journal Aggressive Behavior, says that giving children omega-3 supplements can help curb their bad behavior, and even prevent criminal acts once they get older. Parents whose children were given omega-3s reported long-term reductions in psychological aggression. What’s more, because the kids were better-behaved, the behavior of the parents improved as well. Omega-3s have previously been proven to reduce anxiety, depression, ADHD, and aggressive or anti-social behavior in adults.
(The problem in my house is that the kids throw a tantrum whenever we try to feed them fish!)
(I always said that bad behavior is hereditary…you get it from your kids!)
(I can’t wait for the first kid to sue his parents because they didn’t give him omega-3s and he ended up in jail!)
AS LONG AS THEY STILL GET A RIBBON:
A Norwegian study has found that I.Q. scores have been steadily declining with the drop in the number of people who regularly read newspapers. The study found that intelligence levels have been declining among people born since 1975 a rate of seven IQ points per generation. Researchers say that the decline in newspaper reading over time seems to parallel the drop in IQ scores. This could mean that with the loss of easily accessible newspapers to read, reading skills have atrophied, and so has the development of the skills IQ tests are meant to measure.
(Could you explain that to me as if I was 5 years old?)
(My fish n chips guy must be a genius!)
(I read about this in the paper…honest!)
THINGS YOU BELIEVED AS A TEEN:
➣ “Zits eventually stop happening” – They might slow down, but you’ll always get zits. (The first time I got a pimple on a wrinkle, I knew I lived in an unfair world!)
➣ “The friends I have now are the friends I’ll have forever.” – Grown-up you realizes how your social circle changed and evolved over time. (And some of those friends NEVER grew up…)
➣ “This isn’t a phase! This is who I really am!” – Today, you might hide all your embarrassing high school photos…or you send them to your friends so they can laugh, too. (Emo, anyone?)
➣ “Once I’m 21, I’ll REALLY feel like an adult.” – I STILL don’t feel like an adult. (Much less act like one…)
➣ “I can’t wait to stay up late all the time.” – Now you know the pleasure of a good night’s sleep. (And morning comes sooo early…)
➣ “Staying in on Saturday night is so lame.” – Now it sometimes takes a miracle to get you off the couch on weekends. (“Sorry, can’t make it, I’ve got a big night planned. Netflix and chill…..ed beer.”)
➣ “It’ll be so much easier to hang out with my friends once we’re in our twenties.” – If only you’d known how hard it is to sync up schedules, and that you’d need to plan a get-together with your best friends six months in advance. (And that’s if they even still want to hang out with me!)
➣ “Yep, I have a pretty good idea of how my life is going to go.” – You had no idea what you were in for. I don’t even have a good idea of how my lunch is going to go…)
DID YOU KNOW?
With their latest update, Mozilla Firefox gives you the option to block websites from ‘auto-playing’ audio. Users can choose from three options: Allowing auto-play, forcing websites to ask permission before playing audio, or blocking all websites from auto-play entirely.
(That should save us from some embarrassing situations!)
BS CHRONOMETER 07.30.18
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1941  Paul Anka, Ottawa Ontario, singer (‘Put Your Head on my Shoulder’, ‘Diana’/songwriter (‘My Way’, “Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” theme)
1947  Arnold Schwarzenegger, Thal, Austria, movie actor (“The Expendables” films, “Terminator” movies)/38th California governor 2003-11/former 5-time ‘Mr Universe’. COMING UP…”Viy 2: Journey to China” 2018
1961  Laurence Fishburne, Augusta GA, movie actor (“Man of Steel”, “Matrix” trilogy)/TV actor (“CSI” 2008-11) COMING UP…”Where’d You Go, Bernadette” 2019
1962  Alton Brown, Los Angeles CA, chef (“Good Eats”, “Iron Chef America”)
1963  Lisa Kudrow, Encino CA, TV actress (“Friends” 1994-2004)/TV producer (“Who Do You Think You Are?” since 2010)/movie actress (“The Other Woman”, “Easy A”)
1964  Vivica A Fox, South Bend IN, movie actress (“Sharknado 2: The Second One”, “Kill Bill” movies) COMING UP…”The Last Sharknado: It’s About Time” 2018
1970  Christopher Nolan, London UK, movie director-producer-screenwriter (“Dunkirk”, “Interstellar”, “The Dark Knight” films)
1974  Hilary Swank, Lincoln NE, movie actress (Oscars-“Million Dollar Baby”, “Boys Don’t Cry”)
1977  Jaime Pressly, Kinston NC, TV actress (‘Jill Kendall’ on “Mom” since 2014, “My Name Is Earl” 2005-09)/movie actress (“A Haunted House 2”, “I Love You, Man”)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Cheesecake Day”, a day to indulge yourself in one of the most decadent of all desserts.
• “Father-In-Law Day”, honoring the spousal parent who has never really been all that impressed with you. Try to be nice anyway.
• “Kiss Your Car Day”, observed annually on the 1863 birth date of Henry Ford. It’s a day to show your vehicle how much you really, really love her (As opposed to “kissing your car goodbye”, which would be something else entirely…).
• “Paperback Book Day”, marking the start of the paperback book revolution with publication of Penguin #1, “Ariel, The Life of Shelley” by Andre Maurois in London this date in 1935.
• “Support Public Education Day”, promoting the efforts of administrators, teachers, and parents who aim to maintain a public education system that meets the needs of every student.
• “World Snorkeling Day”, On this day in 1932, Joseph L. Belcher patented “Belcher Breathing Apparatus”. The word ‘snorkel’ comes from the German word ‘schnorchel’, which loosely translated means ‘to snore underwater’.
COMING UP . . .
[Tues] National Avocado Day
[Tues] National Mutt Day
[Wed] Homemade Pie Day
[Wed] Spiderman Day
This Week Is…International Clown Week
This Month Is…Family Fun Month
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2006  After 42 years, the world’s longest running music show, “Top Of the Pops”, is televised for the last time on BBC2
2017  Hackers reveal they have stolen data from HBO, including “Games of Thrones” scripts and episodes
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENT . . .
2003  ‘SARStock Concert’ in Toronto ON draws circa 450,000 to see AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Rush, Justin Timberlake and others in a bid to prove the city’s safety after an outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
TODAY’S RECORDS . . .
1976  American athlete Bruce (now Caitlyn) Jenner sets a world record in decathlon with 8,617 points and wins Gold at the Montréal Olympics
2002  Brazil wins a record 5th FIFA World Cup championship with a 2-0 victory over Germany
BS WACK FACTS:
✓ Women in the U.S. spend an average of 6 full days per year doing their hair.
✓ 89% of women in the U.S. admit they color their hair.
✓ You can’t write the number ‘6’ while making clockwise circles with your leg.
It would take about 737 quintillion packets of Kool-Aid and 91.5 quadrillion metric tons of sugar to turn the ocean into Cherry Kool-Aid.
✓ Kissing someone for one minute burns about 2 calories.
✓ People who use emojis while texting tend to have more sex than those who don’t.
BS SIGNS YOU TAKE YOUR KIDS’ SPORTS TOO SERIOUSLY:
• Potty training at your house involves a starter’s pistol.
• Your wife catches you replacing the ‘Flintstones Chewable Vitamins’ with ‘WWE Chewable Steroids’.
• You’ve already had a fistfight with the goaltender’s grandmother.
• Going shirtless with your chest painted in the team colors doesn’t sit well with the other soccer moms.
• None of your co-workers seems to be interested in joining your T-Ball fantasy league.
• You decide to take out a 2nd mortgage in order to buy ‘LeBron sperm’ on eBay.
• After a dismal season, you trade your son for the neighbor’s kid and a power tool to be named later.
– Adapted from TopFive.com
BS WHAT NOT TO DO AT THE BEACH:
• Bring any food containing mayo without a cooler.
• Pretend you’re at a nude beach when you’re not.
• Apply sunscreen. To others. Without their permission.
• Shake out your blanket while I’m eating ice cream.
• Anything that will result in you becoming a .gif, meme, or viral video.
• Hide your wallet in your shoes. It’s the first place they’ll look.
• Sing ‘Cake by the Ocean’ at the top of your lungs.
• Go exploring around the rocks and yell, “I’ve got crabs here!”
• Bring sand.
• Judge Me
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Do my friends think I’m a control freak? I haven’t decided yet.
BS PHONE STARTER:
What can you not believe that you never noticed until someone pointed it out to you?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: A survey says that 55% of guys say they keep THIS in their car. What?
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance.