Tuesday, July 31, 2018 Edition: #6266
The BS Press!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Chrissy Teigen is clapping back at Thomas Markle. She made her opinions about Meghan Markle’s estranged father known on Twitter, writing: “This guy…this guy sucks, ” alongside screenshots of some of Thomas’ latest headlines. The articles that she included in her post quote the Duchess of Sussex’s father as saying, “Perhaps it would be easier if I were dead” and “Diana would’ve loathed the way I’ve been treated. Teigen also wrote: “What is wrong with him? Let your daughter be happy, please. This is embarrassing.”
★ It turns out Kathy Griffin and Ellen DeGeneres are not the best of friends. The comedian and talk show host have been feuding on and off for years. Griffin says their biggest disagreement was about fellow comedian, Joan Rivers, who died in 2014. Griffin says she called Ellen and said: “Look, woman to woman, comic to comic, I think you need to let go of your hatred for Joan Rivers. She’s passed away, just do a…tribute, be cool.” Griffin says that DeGeneres replied, “There’s a difference between mean and funny”. Griffin said her issue with Ellen was “simple”, she wishes there was more support between female comics.
★ Henry Cavill is reportedly training to be a stuntman in order to improve his chances of landing the role of James Bond. Cavill narrowly missed out on nabbing the role in 2006 and he is determined to get a second chance at it, when the first post-Craig Bond movie starts shooting in 2022. Cavill reportedly made it down to the final two in contention to win the role in 2006, but lost out to Daniel Craig because producers thought he was too young.
★ Two deaths in the wrestling world. Nikolai Volkoff, a fixture of the WWE in the 1980s, has died at age 70. No word on a cause of death. The Hall of Fame wrestler (real name Josip Nikolai Peruzovic) battled the likes of Sgt. Slaughter and Hulk Hogan during wrestling’s rise in 1980s. And Former WWE champ Brian Christopher Lawler — aka Grandmaster Sexay — has died after hanging himself in jail. Lawler was arrested earlier this month for DUI after leading police on a chase.
★Donald Trump’s Walk of Fame star has been a lightning rod for violence, but it’s going to weather the storm and stay put because the group that manages the Walk of Fame doesn’t want it to go. The LAPD has met with the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, and both organizations realize they’re between a rock and a hard place. They know by keeping Trump’s star front and center on the famed Blvd., it will be at the center of what has become an ongoing battle between raging Trump and anti-Trump factions.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Christian Slater, Sean Spicer, Dan + Shay
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Bob Odenkirk, Alicia Silverstone, Kenny Chesney
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Paul Giamatti, Ronda Rousey
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Amy Adams, Henry Winkler, Simon Rich, Taylor Gordon
• “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson, Hayley Atwell, Snow Patrol
• “Conan” (TBS/Comedy): Kelsey Grammar, Anthony Joshua, Lake Street Dive ( R )
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Hannah Ferrier, Kasey Cohen
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Amy Adams, Chris Messina
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Bob Odenkirk, Uzo Aduba, Passenger, guest co-host Jenna Dewan
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Amy Poehler, Nick Offerman, Tig Notaro, Sterling K. Brown, Brian Tyree Henry ( R )
• “America’s Got Talent” (NBC): Judge Cuts 3
• “Making It” (NBC): Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman host a lighthearted crafting competition series—think The Great British Breaking Show, but with fewer pastries and more felt and glue.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Beyonce – has reportedly come to an agreement with Sir Elton John to re-record some of the popular songs for ‘The Lion King’. She joined the cast of the upcoming live-action remake of the Disney animated classic as Nala – the love interest of Simba, who will be voiced by Donald Glover.
• Kanye West –is reportedly trying to set up his own music streaming service. He has submitted a trademark application for “Yeezy Sound”, although it is unclear whether he intends to use the platform for his own content, or if he will collaborate with other artists.
• George Michael – his cousin says Michael left nothing to his boyfriend Fadi Fawaz in his will. He says that all beneficiaries of Michael’s estate have been contacted – but his hairdresser lover was not on the list. Fawaz is currently living in Michael’s home, and is contesting the will. He may receive a settlement. (One More Try?)
• Madonna – is enjoying living a ”slower life” in Portugal. She recently moved to Lisbon to help her 12-year-old son David Banda pursue his dream of becoming a football star. Although Madonna doesn’t have plans to retire any time soon, she’s decided not to tour for at least another year while she focuses on her children and their new life abroad.
• Snoop Dog – has slapped his home contractor with legal papers for ruining his home remodel. Snoop wants $500,000 in damages for alleged breaches of their agreement.
• Guns N’ Roses – delivered a 3.5 hour show in Reykjavík, Iceland last week in front of a crowd of 25,000 fans. That’s 7% of the population of Iceland, and the largest rock concert ever held in the city.
• Bob Seger – A Bob Seger themed bar has opened in Unionville, Michigan. ‘Cat Man Do’ – a play on Seger’s 1975 song title ‘Katmandu’ – was created by retired teacher Dennis Collon, who says Seger has already promised to drop in.
• Jet – Singer Nic Cester says that it’s unlikely the band will make an album because things could get ”volatile” in the studio. Their recent 15th anniversary tour of their debut album “Get Born” was his way of parking the group in a ”better place”, after an acrimonious breakup in 2012.
• Jason Isbell – was joined onstage by David Crosby during his headlining set at the Newport Folk Festival Friday. Crosby, who was not in the lineup for this year’s festival, joined Isbell and the 400 Unit for the CSNY songs ‘Wooden Ships’ and ‘Ohio’.
• Luke Bryan – make a piece of L.A. history on Saturday night, becoming the first country artist ever to play L.A.’s Dodger Stadium.
• Martina McBride – will appear as a guest judge on tonight’s episode of America’s Got Talent. She is also working on a Christmas album, which she says has a “big band swing … kind of a vintage-y throwback sound” that’s completely different from anything she’s worked on before.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
• “Overboard” (PG-13, Comedy/Romance): A spoiled, wealthy yacht owner is thrown overboard and becomes the target of revenge from his mistreated employee. (Eugenio Derbez, Anna Faris, Eva Longoria)
• “Dark Crimes” (R-Rated, Drama): A murder investigation of a slain businessman turns to clues found in an author’s book about an eerily similar crime. (Jim Carrey, Marton Csokas)
• “The Miracle Season” (PG, Drama): After the tragic death of their star player, a volleyball team of dispirited high school girls must band together under the guidance of their tough-love coach in hopes of winning the state championship. (Erin Moriarty, Tiera Skovbye)
• “Final Portrait” (R-Rated, Documentary/Drama): The story of the touching and offbeat friendship between American writer and art-lover James Lord and Alberto Giacometti. (Armie Hammer, Geoffrey Rush)
Did you ever notice that when you see a photo of yourself, it usually looks just a little bit different than you expected? A little off? Why is that? The major reason is that photos show us the reverse of what we see in the mirror. Seeing ourselves in reverse can be a little weird, partly because our faces aren’t perfectly symmetrical. Certain features or distinctive marks don’t line up in photos the same way they do in the mirror, and that can throw us off. Plus, when we gaze in the mirror, we tend to gaze at what we consider our good side ― that is, the angle that seems most attractive to us. You don’t always get that when someone else takes the picture. But at the end of the day, the way we appear in photos is the way we look to the rest of the world. And that’s not a bad thing. In fact, studies have shown that other people generally like the version of you they see, as opposed to the image of yourself you see.
(So deal with it….the rest of us have to!)
(And I just thought I always took a bad selfie!)
(I’d be more concerned with cameras catching my best side if I had one…)
THE (GROSS) SECRET TO SUCCESS:
Scientists say that the driving force behind many of the most successful entrepreneurs around the world may be . . .a brain parasite. The single-cell protozoan parasite, which is spread by cats, is known to invade the brain and may cause personality changes associated with risk-taking. While rarely producing symptoms other than a mild flu-like illness, T. gondii infection seems to drive risk-taking in business, helping to promote entrepreneurial activity. Professionals attending business events were almost twice as likely to have started their own enterprise if they were T. gondii positive. The research findings suggest that reduced fear of failure may be the key factor explaining the association between T. gondii infection and entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship is characterized as a “high-risk, high-reward” activity. Rats infected with T. gondii appear to lose their natural fear of predators.
(Annnnd, once again, my cat lets me down!)
(I’m off to the shelter to buy all their cats. Look out, world! Either a new business tycoon is on his way, or a fool with a house full of cats!)
(I’m so risk-averse that I took out insurance on my insurance!)
SONGS MOST FREQUENTLY BANNED BY COUPLES FROM THEIR WEDDING RECEPTIONS:
✗ Chicken Dance (banned from 23.1% of weddings)
✗ Cha-Cha Slide – DJ Casper 22.5
✗ Macarena – Los Del Rio 17.6
✗ Cupid Shuffle – Cupid 16.5
✗ YMCA – Village People 15.4
✗ Electric Boogie (Electric Slide) – Marcia Griffiths 12.6
✗ Hokey Pokey 10.4
✗ Wobble – V.I.C. 7.1
✗ Happy – Pharrell Williams 5.5
✗ Shout – Isley Brothers 5.5
(But much like crazy Uncle Jerry, banned or not, the Chicken Dance will usually make an appearance!)
BS CHRONOMETER 07.31.18
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1949  Susan Bennett, Burlington VT, voice actress (best known as the original voice of Apple’s virtual assistant “Siri”)
1958  Mark Cuban, entrepreneur, Pittsburgh, PA, Dallas Mavericks owner who sold Broadcast.com to Yahoo for $5.9 Billion in 1999)/reality TV star (“Shark Tank” 2010-present)
1962  Wesley Snipes, Orlando FL, movie actor (“White Men Can’t Jump” “The Expendables 3″, “Blade” films)/Hollywood Walk of Fame (1998)
1965  JK (Joanne) Rowling, Yate UK, mega-selling author (“Harry Potter” novels)
1978  Zac Brown, Cumming GA, country singer (Zac Brown Band-‘Beautiful Drug’, ‘Chicken Fried’)
1978  Will Champion, Southampton UK, rock drummer (Coldplay-‘Paradise’, ‘Viva La Vida’)
1979  BJ (Benjamin Joseph) Novak, Newton MA, TV actor (“The Office” 2005-13)/movie actor (“Inglourious Basterds”)/author (“One More Thing: Stories & Other Stories”)
1998  Rico Rodriguez, College Station TX, TV actor (‘Manny Delgado’ on “Modern Family” since 2009)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Mutts Day”, honoring all dogs of mixed breeds. Purebred owners often view them as lesser in many ways but mutt owners know better!
• “Uncommon Instruments Awareness Day”, an annual celebration of strange musical instruments such as the bubble organ, fluba, and dulcimer. Check out some REALLY weird ones here …
• “Cotton Candy Day”, celebrating the sweet, sugary taste-treat that melts in your mouth. It was invented in 1897 as ‘Fairy Floss’, then renamed in 1920. In Greece, Israel, and India it is often referred to as ‘Old Woman’s Hair’. Yuck.
• “Raspberry Cake Day”, a whole day dedicated to enjoying raspberries in cake format!
• “World Ranger Day”, initiated by the 54 member associations of the International Ranger Federation to celebrate the work rangers do to protect the world’s natural & cultural treasures.
• “Avocado Day”, it’s not just for delicious guacamole. Targeting insulin resistance with heart-healthy fats and fighting Alzheimer’s with its Omega 3 fatty acids, the avocado also prevents and repairs damage due to its abundance of Vitamins C, E and K.
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Wed] Homemade Pie Day
[Wed] Spiderman Day
[Thurs] Dinosaurs Day
[Thurs] Coloring Book Day
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1995  Walt Disney Co acquires ABC-TV in a $19-billion deal.
TODAY IN MUSIC . . .
1980  The Eagles split up after Glenn Frey and Don Felder go at it on stage. The group would reunite in 1994 for the “Hell Freezes Over” tour, named after Don Henley’s recurring statement about when the group would get back together.
2016  Justin Timberlake accepts the Decade Award at the Teen Choice Awards, the first time the award is given out.
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
2014  US president Barack Obama authorizes 1st air strikes against Islamic State
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
2012  US swimmer Michael Phelps breaks the record for ‘Greatest Number of Medals Won at the Olympics’ by increasing his total to 22. (Retired from competition with 28)
BS WACK FACTS:
✓ If people worldwide switched to energy efficient lightbulbs, the world would save US$120 billion annually.
✓ A bolt of lightning contains enough energy to toast 160,000 pieces of bread.
✓ There are more life forms living on your skin than there are people on the planet.
✓ The average human will yawn around 250,000 times over the course of his life.
✓ Lack of sleep can cause weight gain of 2 pounds (0.9 kg) in under a week.
✓ Spending money on others yields more happiness than spending it on yourself,
a study concluded.
BS SIGNS IT’S MONDAY:
• Yesterday was Tuesday and tomorrow is Sunday… at least that is what you’re thinking.
• You’ve already planned several thousand ways to avoid actually doing work until Friday.
• The President looks hungover as he issues his weekly denial to the nation.
• Another knee-slapping cartoon of that darn Garfield saying “I hate Monday!”
• In your current opinion, five days is a long time.
• You’re happy to go to work in order to get some rest.
• You break down into a sobbing mess on the floor because there was no coffee left in the pot when you got to work.
• You are half way to work before you realize you have been listening to “Rev. Carl’s Bible Hour” on your car radio.
• The solid rain for the past two days has stopped, leaving a beautiful, sunny day.
(First published in BS in 2017)
BS PET PET PEEVES:
• People who leave the toilet lid down.
• When people talk to me in that stupid ‘nice puppy’ voice.
• The red dot keeps moving just when I’m about to catch it.
• I seem to be missing something down there since my last visit to the vet…
• It’s 5:45am and you STILL haven’t fed me.
• The phrase “Who’s good boy?” over and over and over.
• All those darn cat .gifs!
• When you claim it was me who made that smell.
• ***Caution***) Just throw the damn ball already!
• I’m a cat. Pretty much everything.
BS PHONE STARTER:
What’s the dumbest thing your mate has ever called to ask you at work? (Are you busy? Know where the TV remote is? Okay if I buy granola instead of corn flakes? Do you love me?)
BS RANDOM JOKE:
If you actually were to do something “like a boss”, you’d probably just pay someone else to do it.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: More than 75% of people say they do this alone but would prefer to do it with someone else. What?
Answer: Drive to work
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Worrying is like walking around with an umbrella, waiting for it to rain.