Tuesday, June 1, 2016 – Edition: #5743
Sheeters Always Prosper!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Beginning today props and keepsakes from the 7 seasons of AMC’s “Mad Men” are being auctioned off to mark the 1-year anniversary of the series finalé. Included are over 1,500 props, wardrobe items, set decorations, and other ‘vintage mid-century memorabilia’. That last category is explained by the fact that items used on the show were painstakingly selected to be historically accurate. Top items under the hammer include a wallet used by ‘Don Draper’, the typewriter used by ‘Peggy Olson’, the ice bucket & tumbler set from the office of ‘Joan Harris’, and Ray-Ban sunglasses worn by ‘Roger Sterling’. Bidding continues through June 13th.
★ Original “Ghostbusters” actor Dan Aykroyd has defended the upcoming movie remake, calling the new film “brilliant” and insisting it is funnier than the original. Aykroyd starred in the 1984 sci-fi comedy and its subsequent 1989 sequel, but ever since news of an all-female version of the film surfaced, fans have been quick to criticize the idea. The trailer for the reboot is the only movie trailer to make it onto YouTube’s ‘Top 100 Most Disliked Videos’ list. But Aykroyd insists “it has more laughs and more scares than the first 2 films”. Of course, as executive producer, he has a stake in trying to stem the negative tide.
★ Actress Keri Russell has reportedly given birth to her first child with boyfriend Matthew Rhys.
The actors, who are co-stars on the FX series “The Americans”, are said to have welcomed their new baby sometime last week. Although the newborn is Matthew’s first, Keri is already mother to 8-year-old son River and 4-year-old daughter Willa via ex-husband Shane Deary. The couple, who play married Soviet spies ‘Philip & Elizabeth Jennings’ on the show, first met on the set and sparked up a romance shortly after their introduction.
– “Us Weekly”
★ And here’s a happy Hollywood ending we don’t often hear about: 50-year-old former “Grey’s Anatomy” star Patrick Dempsey has confirmed he & wife Jillian Fink have reconciled after she filed for divorce in January 2015. Dempsey says what helped to mend the marital strife was a family cycling vacation. He, Jillian, and their 3 children did a cycling tour of the Caribbean island of St Barts, which he says was “healing for the whole family”. Patrick and Jillian have been married 15 years and throughout that time cycling has been their favorite workout and therapy.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “iHeartRadio Summer Pool Party” (CW) – Scheduled performers at the Fontainebleu Miami Beach in Florida include DNCE, Flo Rida, Hailey Stanfield, Jason Derulo, Kygo, and Lukas Graham.
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/CityTV) – Joanna Newsom (“Divers”). Rerun.
• “Last Call With Carson Daly” (NBC) – White Mystery (“Blood & Venom”). Rerun.
• “Late Show With Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global) – Lukas Nelson & Promise Of the Real (“Wasted”). Rerun.
• “Live With Kelly” (syndicated/CTV) – X Ambassadors (“VHS”).
• “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – The Kills (“Midnight Boom”). Rerun.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Calvin Harris – He’s returned home to London as he continues to recover from a car accident in Beverly Hills CA. He was forced to pull out of 2 club gigs in Las Vegas last week after the crash. He’s posted a partial photo of himself on SnapChat captioned “F— this”, though it’s not clear what he’s referring to. Scars, maybe? Pain? Missing nose?
• Dixie Chicks – Their “DCX MMXVI World Tour” kicks off tonight in Cincinnati OH. It’s their fist US tour since 2006.
• Fergie – Her actor-husband Josh Duhamel has blabbed that the former Black Eyed Peas singer is due to surprise-release her 2nd solo album, “Double Dutchess”, on June 10th. That’s 10 years after her debut solo project, “The Dutchess”. A tour in support is apparently scheduled for the beginning of next year. Duhamel is either loose-lipped or strictly following a promo script.
• Katy Perry – She’s fallen victim to an Internet hacker who took over her Twitter page and leaked an unreleased song this week. The track “Witness 1.3” was apparently uncovered via a SoundCloud link.
• Prince – Glastonbury organizer Michael Eavis tells “The Sun” that the late star was close to signing on to perform at this year’s festival (June 22-26), which is now being headlined by Adele, Coldplay, and Muse.
FROM THE BS POLL VAULT:
A statistical look at who we are and the things we do …
• 90% of female office workers say male co-workers should always wear an undershirt.
• 80% of women say they’d never go out with a guy again if he showed up for their first date with a cold sore.
• 19% of married people admit they would leave their spouses if they won the lottery.
• 12% of married women have to tell their husbands to brush their teeth at least once a week.
• 7% of guys say that, at one time or another, they owned a neon beer sign.
PETS IN HEAT:
There are numerous signs that your dog or cat is unhappily struggling with hot Summer weather …
✗ Heavy panting.
✗ Their tongue and gums may be bright pink or red.
✗ They may start drooling or their tongue may loll out of their mouth.
✗ They may have a dry and tacky mouth with a mucus-like buildup.
✗ Dogs may lie down more often than usual.
✗ They may have sweaty paws.
✗ They may vomit.
✗ Cats may excessively groom to try and cool off.
✗ They may lift their feet awkwardly if the ground is too hot for them.
✗ They may stumble and seem disorientated.
✗ Pets may be restless and constantly be trying to find somewhere cooler.
What to do …
✓ Never lock a pet in the car.
✓ Taking your pet somewhere cool on the paws will help.
✓ Ensure they have access to plenty of fresh water.
✓ Brush them regularly to get rid of extra hair that might be heating them up.
✓ Apply sun lotion to ears if your pet is lighter color or has less hair.
✓ Wet food left out in the heat can attract flies and extra bacteria that may upset their stomach.
✓ Consider clipping their coats to make hot weather more bearable.
(If all else fails, you could try mint suppositories … but that’s likely a bad idea.)
Cutting-edge vocab …
• ‘Authorpreneur’ – A writer who runs his or her own career as a business.
• ‘Pedestrian Flypaper’ – An adhesive on the front hood of a car that causes a struck pedestrian to stick to the hood rather than bounce off and suffer further injury. Google is patenting the ‘sticky’ technology for its self-driving cars.
• ‘Whaling’ – Targeting a scam at a company’s CEO or other high-ranking officer, either to defraud the officer directly or to dupe an employee into sending money to the scammer.
FOR THE RECORD:
This week Christie’s has auctioned off a Diamond Himalaya Niloticus handbag by Hermes for – sitting down? – $300,168. The crocodile handbag that features white gold and diamonds has been offloaded by a private Asian collector. That breaks last year’s record-breaking auction of another Hermes bag for $222,000, thereby cementing the designer name as a rare and valuable collectible. The only problem, it seems, is making use of the handbags. It would seem inadvisable for fear of ruining their value. (Your money is in it … in a different way.)
– CNN Style
BS AMAZING FACT:
Green light can help migraine sufferers. (Too bad you see only reds on the way to work.)
– “New Scientist”
BS CHRONOMETER 06.01.16
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1937  Morgan Freeman, Memphis TN, movie actor (“The Dark Knight Rises”, Academy Award-“Million Dollar Baby”)/advertising pitch-voice (VISA)
1947  Ronnie Wood, Hillingdon UK, classic rock guitarist (Rolling Stones since 1975, The Faces 1970-73, Jeff Beck Group 1968-70)/Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (1989) BS FACTOID: His 30-years-younger wife Sally Humphreys reportedly gave birth to twin baby girls on Monday. It’s their first children together, but Wood has 4 adult children from 2 previous marriages.
1953  Ronnie Dunn, Coleman TX, country singer (Brooks & Dunn-“Red Dirt Road”)
1973  Heidi Klum [‘kloom’], Bergisch-Gladbach, Germany, fashion model/TV personality (“America’s Got Talent” since 2013, “Project Runway” since 2004)
1974  Alanis Morissette, Ottawa ON, pop singer (“You Oughta Know”, “Hand in My Pocket”)/her “Jagged Little Pill” album (1995) sold over 33 million units worldwide
1981  Brandi Carlile, Ravensdale WA, alt-country singer-songwriter (“The Story”)
2000  Willow Shields, Albuquerque NM, movie actress (‘Primrose Everdeen’ in “The Hunger Games” movies)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Dare Day”, a day to do something that you have been wanting to do but couldn’t get up the courage to try.
• “Flip a Coin Day”, a day of easy decision making. Just flip and follow the results.
• “Global Day of Parents”, a UN observance since 2012 to honor all parents throughout the world and appreciate their selfless commitment to their children.
• “Global Running Day”, encouraging everyone to take strides toward leading healthier, fitter lives. Activities are planned in 165 countries.
• “Go Barefoot Day”, a day to enjoy the comforts and pleasant sensations of shedding footwear. Why? Because it feels great! The members of the ‘Society For Barefoot Living’ believe you should go barefoot all the time.
• “Heimlich Maneuver Day”, honoring the ‘abdominal thrust’ method of stopping choking, first described by Dr Henry Heimlich in a June 1974 article in the journal “Emergency Medicine”. BS FACTOID: Last week 96-year-old Heimlich used the technique himself for the first time when a female resident at his retirement home in Cincinnati OH who was choking at the dinner table.
• “International Children’s Day”, first proclaimed in 1925 by the World Conference For the Well-Being of Children in Geneva, Switzerland. The day is designed to draw attention to any and all children’s issues.
• “Say Something Nice Day”, a day to thank someone, encourage someone, compliment everyone. Remember, if you can’t say something nice … mum’s the word!
• “World Milk Day”, initiated by the UN’s Food & Agriculture Organization in 2001 to focus attention on milk and the milk industry. (Humans are the only species that drinks another animal’s milk.)
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2008  Fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent dies in Paris, France at age 71
2009  Conan O’Brien debuts as host of NBC-TV’s “Tonight Show” (steps down after 7 months due to a dispute with the network … and a $33-million payoff)
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENT . . .
2005  White Stripes singer Jack White marries his girlfriend, British model Karen Elson, in a canoe on the Amazon River in Brazil
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
2013  With the #1 debut of “Modern Vampires Of the City”, Vampire Weekend becomes the 1st indie-rock act to top the album chart with 2 consecutive releases (“Contra” also debuted at #1 in 2010)
TODAY’S RECORDS . . .
2002  16 skydivers set a new world record by jumping simultaneously from a hot-air balloon 10,000 ft (3,048 m) over Peterborough, England and landing safely on 6,000 rolls of bathroom tissue (a publicity stunt)
2009  General Motors files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the 4th-largest bankruptcy in US history
2015  At the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon, Harriette Thompson (92 years, 65 days) becomes ‘Oldest Person to Finish a Marathon’, beating the previous record (92 years, 19 days)
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Thurs] Leave the Office Early Day
[Thurs] Rotisserie Chicken Day
[Fri] “Me Before You”; “Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping”; “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” open in movie theaters
[Fri] Comic Con begins (Niagara Falls ON)
[Fri] Governors Ball Music Festival begins (NYC)
[Fri] Bunbury Festival begins (Cincinnati OH)
This Week Is … International Clothesline Week
This Month Is … Men’s Health Education & Awareness Month
BS OBITUARIES FOR TEEN GIRLS WHO CONTINUALLY SAY THEY’VE DIED:
• 14-year-old Sierra died suddenly upon seeing a tiny kitten walk successfully through a set of revolving doors.
• 13-year-old Ally quickly succumbed after visiting the same hotel lobby that Justin Bieber had walked through only 3 months previously.
• 15-year-old Jamie passed away when she saw Taylor Swift exiting the neighborhood gym. She died 3 more times before realizing that the woman was not in fact Taylor Swift.
• 15-year-old Morgan was a mousse dessert lover throughout her life. She was tragically tasting the perfect mango mousse just before succumbing to death.
• 13-year-old Rachel lived a healthy life until she made the fatal decision of watching a video of a cute puppy splashing in a puddle. She cried out to God (“OMG, OMG, OMG!”) in the YouTube comment section, but it was too late. She just died.
– Thanks to Karen Chee
BS PHONE STARTER:
☎ Which things (or people) are waaaaaaay over-rated?
BS RANDOM JOKE:
When God created man, she was only kidding.
BS U-PICK TRIVIA:
What do you call a female rabbit?
a. A cow.
b. A doe. [CORRECT. A male is a ‘buck’ and a baby is a ‘kit’ or ‘kitten’.]
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: 1-in-4 of men polled say they would not date a woman if she had one of THESE. Answer: A twin.
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Misers aren’t fun to live with, but they make wonderful ancestors.