Wednesday, June 21, 2017 – Edition: #6001
We’ve Got Our Sheet Together!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Rob Schneider has unblocked Seth Rogen on Twitter. Rogen had questioned why he was unable to follow Schneider on the social media site. It is still unclear why or how Rogen became blocked, but Schneider has since responded to his messages: “Dear @Sethrogen I’ll unblock you if I can meet James Franco,” he wrote. “You’ll be back in buddy! Potentially yours again, Rob.” After some good-natured banter between the two, and some contributions from other comedians, Rob Schneider made it known that Rogen had been unblocked.
★ Miles Teller has been arrested for being drunk in public. The 30 year-old ‘Fantastic Four’ and ‘War Dogs’ actor was taken into police custody early Sunday morning after he was allegedly seen falling down drunk while out in San Diego with a group of friends. According to Police, after it was determined that Teller was “unable to care for his own safety”, he was taken into custody. He was given the option of sobering up at a detox center, but was arrested and transferred to a local jail after he was apparently uncooperative with the detox center’s staff. Teller has been released and so far has not commented. (Except to ask for an Aspirin).
★ “Spider-Man: Homecoming” dominated social media buzz with nearly 93,000 new conversations last week, according to media-measurement firm ComScore. Sony released an international poster on June 12, announced an arcade game on June 14, and released a trailer for its Spider Man VR experience on June 16. “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” starring Tom Holland as a 15-year-old Spider-Man who’s still in high school, has produced a total of 2.18 million new conversations. The movie opens on July 7.
★ CBS has released details on the 16 new contestants who will be competing for $500,000 this summer in the Big Brother house. It is a cast filled with attractive faces (SHOCKER!), incredible names (Christmas, Raven), and even more incredible professions (Fitness Superstar, Dog Walker, Cosplay Artist, Rodeo Clown, VIP Concierge). It debuts a week tonight (June 28).
★ “Wheel of Fortune” is under fire for using a photographic backdrop showing two African-Americans in slave-era clothing. The photo that was used for “Southern Charm” week sparked outrage from viewers. The image was taken by producers in 2005 at the Oak Alley Plantation in Vacherie, La. A spokesperson said they do not hire people to portray slaves but do employ tour guides of all skin colors who wear period clothing.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Tatiana Maslany
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Ashton Kutcher, Mario Batali, Liam Payne
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Jeffrey Tambor, John Benjamin Hickey, Lake Street Dive
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Amy Poehler, Nicolle Wallace, Daru Jones
• “Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Seth Rogen, Will Arnett, Alison Brie
• “Last Call with Carson Daly” (NBC/CTV): Kathryn Hahn, Froth, Lucy Gillespie ( R )
• “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” (Comedy): Jason Isbell
• “@Midnight with Chris Hardwick” (Comedy): Kenny G, Kate Micucci, Ron Lynch
• “Conan” (TBS/Comedy): Leslie Jones, Jeffrey Toobin, Mac DeMarco
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Ramona Singer, Jackie Hoffman
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Michael Bloomberg, Eddie Izzard
• “The Talk” (CBS): Guest co-host Mario Lopez
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV):Seth Meyers, Zoe Saldana, Beth Behrs
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Reese Witherspoon ( R )
• “Wendy Williams” (FOX): Janet Mock, Jamie Krell
• “Harry” (NBC/CTV): Allison Williams, John Weisbarth & Zack Giffin, John Besh ( R )
• “The Real” (FOX): Guest co-host Shekinah ( R )
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Lionel Richie – is reportedly being eyed to join the American Idol judging panel. At this point it remains unclear whether he has actually been approached with a financial offer.
• Paul McCartney – not only did he turn 75 on the weekend, but Queen Elizabeth II ‘elevated’ his knighthood, giving him ‘Companion of Honour’ award for service to music. J.K. Rowling was given the same distinction (see ‘This Day in Showbiz’).
• Tragically Hip – singer Gord Downie received the honour of ‘Member of the Order of Canada’ at a ceremony on Monday.
• U2 – Summer vacation will be extended by a day for students in Orchard Park NY to accommodate a U2 concert. Because the town (near Buffalo) is expecting a crush of traffic for September 5, classes for the Fall of 2017 will not begin until September 6.
• Queen/David Bowie – previously unreleased collaborations could be coming. According to guitarist Brian May, when they joined forces to record ‘Under Pressure’, the recording didn’t stop with that one song, and some of them may surface in the future.
• Hanson – call Justin Bieber’s music ‘chlamydia of the ear’. In a recent interview, drummer Zac said: “I prefer not to get any venereal diseases, so whenever Justin Bieber gets sort of near me or near my ears… it’s just ear infections, they’re terrible.” (MMMMmmkay?)
• Jay Z – just changed his name again. Jay Z is now a relic of the past, consigned to the dustbin of history. In its place stands JAY-Z, now with the hyphen back in its place and the whole name in all-caps. (This is huge! It’s like when Tupac changed to 2Pac. Or when Matchbox 20 changed to Matchbox Twenty!)
• Ariana Grande – she finished the European leg of her ‘Dangerous Woman’ tour by posting an emotional message to her fans. “I just wanted to thank you properly for the overwhelming love and support you’ve shown me, my crew, and each other during this challenging time,” she wrote on Instagram.
• Johnny Cash – Charlie Daniels will mark America’s Independence Day July 4th with the digital release of his cover of Johnny Cash’s “Ragged Old Flag”.
• Lady Antebellum – their new album “Heart Break” is the fourth-biggest selling album in the U.S., according to Billboard. “Heart Break” debuted with 53,000 units including 47,000 in traditional album sales.
Summer arrived in the Northern Hemisphere at 12:24am EDT.
Here are some rather interesting sunburn remedies that you might try if you find that you have ‘overindulged’ in sunshine at some point this summer:
○ Milk Bath: Milk creates an extra layer of protein on the skin to help protect and cool it. If your fridge (or your cow) doesn’t have enough milk for you to bathe in, try soaking a flannel shirt or absorbent cloth in milk and covering the affected area that way. (Beware of cats, though!)
○ Porridge: Oats contain an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compound which helps to soothe the skin. Grind a cup of unflavored oats until it reaches a smooth consistency. Add to bath water. Make sure to rub the mixture over the burn. (Beware of Goldilocks, though!)
○ Patting Potatoes: Take a couple of potatoes, and cut them into small pieces. Place them in a blender, and blend. Once they are in a liquid form, pat the burned area with the potato mixture.
(What if I burn the potatoes?)
○ Vinegar: After taking a cool shower, spray apple cider vinegar onto the burned area and let it dry. This apparently helps the skin to heal. (Probably not a good idea if your burn is blistering).
○ Corn-starch: Add water and mix until it reaches a paste-like consistency. Put this onto the burn and leave until the pain has lessened. Also works with baking soda. (Finally, I know what corn-starch is for!)
○ Frozen Veggies: Grab a big bag of frozen peas, corn or whatever frozen veggies you have on hand, wrap it in a tea towel, and place it on the burn. The coolness helps to soothe and relax the burned area. (Watch for signs of frostbite. And for people who think you have just had a vasectomy!)
○ Ice Cubes: take a few ice cubes and place them into a small cloth so they don’t stick to your skin. Rub this on the inflicted area and replace as needed. (I have another way to alleviate sunburn pain that also involves ice cubes…in a glass!)
○ Yogurt: Applying low-fat yogurt it to the affected area is a natural and relaxing way to deal with sunburn. (Think again if you are going out in public!)
○ Lettuce – Boil the leaves in water. Let the liquid cool in the fridge for several hours and then apply to the skin. (OK, now you’re just making things up!)
○ Tea Bags: Let tea bags soak in cool water. Then simply place the teabags on the eyelids. This will help reduce swelling created by sunburn and will remove the heat and pain you are feeling.
(Remove glasses first!)
(All of these ‘food’ remedies just make me hungry!)
-The Fact Site
When the Roomba was first introduced in 2002, it was the answer to the prayers of many busy moms and dads, bachelors and students. Sure, it was a nightmare for the cat, but it sure was a handy, futuristic gadget. People couldn’t believe that for a few hundred bucks you could buy a robot that would vacuum your floors. After the Roomba’s success, its creator, Joe Jones, invented the Scooba, which scrubs floors. Now this ‘saint among men’ plans to change gardening with the ‘Tertill’. The Tertill is essentially a Roomba that lives in gardens and automatically cuts the weeds. It’s solar-powered and relies on sensors to navigate around garden obstacles. It can identify weeds and activate a mini weed whacker to chop them down. The Tertill is currently available on Kickstarter for $249 and will start shipping in May 2018. The great thing about them? The inventor’s long-term plan is to create robots that can automatically weed farms without the need for dangerous herbicides. This could eventually increase agricultural efficiency and help eliminate global food shortages. For now, the Tertill, like it’s namesake, is taking a slow, but sure approach to helping us on the way to enjoying a weed-free garden, and a pain-free back at the same time!
(Or just let your Roomba outside…)
(Is this guy leading us down the garden path?)
WHAT YOUR SLEEPING POSITION SAYS ABOUT YOU (OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT YOU ARE SLEEPING):
No matter if you slobber or snore, call your tummy comfy or kick it back on your back, here’s what your sleep position means:
• Stomach – It might be a good one if you snore, but from a health perspective, it’s not the best. How come? It’s difficult to keep your spine healthy because it’s not supported as it could be in other positions. (Plus there is the drool thing…)
• Back – You snore. Pretty much for sure. If you are prone to sleep apnea, you may find that your condition is worse when lying in your back. That can contribute to high-blood pressure, stroke, heart attack, diabetes, depression and impotence. If apnea isn’t a problem, Take some pressure off your back by adding support under your knees with a wedge or small pillow. (Plus there is a good chance of sucking in any nearby small animals…)
• Side – This is the most popular position, and luckily it also happens to be good for you. Even so, there are ways to make it even better. While it is one of the healthier positions, be sure not to curl up too tightly as that can put pressure on the joints. You’re best on your side with your hips and knees slightly bent. (That’s where I start. After that, it’s anyone’s guess!)
• Can never can find a comfortable position – Some people thrash about when they are not breathing properly during sleep. Others have a condition called restless leg syndrome where they feel ‘creepy crawlies’ and the need to move their legs. A sleep study can help you find out. Treatment may enable you to enjoy restful nights. (So would a big, fat raise!)
BS CHRONOMETER 06.21.17
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1950  Joey Kramer, NYC, classic rock drummer (Aerosmith-“I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing”, “Dream On”)/Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (2001)
1951  Nils Lofgren, Chicago IL, classic rock guitarist (“Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band”, “Neil Young”, “Crazy Horse”)
1964  David Morrissey, Liverpool, England, TV actor (‘The Governor’ in “The Walking Dead” 2012-2014)
1973  Juliette Lewis, Los Angeles, CA, movie actress (“Natural Born Killers”, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape”) TV actor (“Secrets and Lies” 2015-2016)
1979  Chris Pratt, Virginia MN, movie actor (“Jurassic World”, “Guardians Of the Galaxy” films)/TV actor (“Parks & Recreation” 2009-15)
1981  Brandon Flowers, Henderson NV, pop/rock singer-keyboardist (The Killers-“Somebody Told Me”, “When You Were Young”)
1982  Prince William (William Arthur Philip Louis Windsor), London UK, Duke of Cambridge/eldest son of Prince Charles & the late Princess Diana/married to Kate Middleton (Duchess of Cambridge) 2011/2nd-in-line to the British throne after his dad
1983  Jussie Smollett, Santa Rosa CA, TV actor (‘Jamal Lyon’ on “Empire” since 2015)
1985  Lana Del Rey (Elizabeth Grant), NYC, pop singer-songwriter (“Summertime Sadness”, “Born to Die”)
BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “First Day of Summer”, in the Northern Hemisphere. Also known as Summer Solstice. It is observed when the Sun reaches its northernmost point. (‘Longest’ day of the year).
▪ This year, the June solstice falls on two different days: Wednesday, the 21st, for those in Eastern Standard Time, and Tuesday, the 20th, for time zones further west.
▪ The solstice is when those in the northern hemisphere see the highest sun of the year. But it’s getting lower over time. That’s because Earth’s tilt is slowly decreasing.
▪ The solstice is when the sun is lowest in the sky for those at the equator.
▪ The word ‘solstice’ comes from the two Latin words “sun” and “stoppage.” Makes sense: the sun stops moving north that day. (Sounds scary, though…)
▪ Today, the sun rises farthest left on the horizon, and sets at its rightmost possible spot. Sunlight strikes places in your rooms that get illuminated at no other time. (Should’ve dusted!)
▪ And most importantly: “It’s the start of summer!” (Or, Winter, if you live below the equator).
• “Atheist Solidarity Day”, a day of awareness when atheists everywhere are encouraged to be open about their lack of belief in god and not fear harmful consequences.
○What is an atheist? Someone with no invisible means of support.
○What is atheism? A non-prophet organization.
• “Go Skateboarding Day”, an unofficial annual holiday conceived by the International Association of Skateboard Companies to promote boarding. (BYOBandaids).
• “International Day of Yoga”, first declared by the UN in 2015 to recognize the importance of yoga as a physical, mental, and/or spiritual practice. (And to some, a great spectator sport!)
• “Peaches & Cream Day”, not the complexion nor the corn variety but the real deal. You won’t find a better Summer treat than fresh-sliced peaches covered with real cream.
• “Selfie Day”, encouraging the world to take selfie pics and post them online. (Is it Kim Kardashian’s birthday or something?)
• “World Handshake Day” … but only after you use your hand sanitizer, OK?
• “World Humanist Day”, a day for spreading awareness of Humanism as a means to affect change. Humanism is a philosophy that promotes human reason, ethics, and justice. (Someone should bring that idea to politics!)
• “World Music Day”, an annual musical celebration on the days of the solstice, which originated in France and has since been adopted in 120 countries.
[Thurs] Onion Ring Day
[Thurs] Chocolate Elcair Day
[Thurs] Stupid Guy Thing Day
[Fri] Pink Day
[Fri] Let It Go Day
[Fri] Widows’ Day
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2003  “Harry Potter & The Order Of the Phoenix” (book 5) is released in bookstores and grosses more in 1 day than the heavily-hyped movie opening of “Hulk”, an unprecedented feat in publishing
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2011  Maroon 5 releases “Moves Like Jagger”, f/Christina Aguilera (eventually hits #1)
2015  Apple Music reverses its payment policy, agreeing to pay artists for music streamed during trial periods, a day after Taylor Swift threatens to ban her latest album “1989″ from the service
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
2004  ‘SpaceShipOne’ rocket punches through Earth’s atmosphere, then returns to glide to a landing on California’s Mojave Desert in the 1st privately-financed manned spaceflight
TODAY’S RECORDS . . .
2000  ‘World’s Longest Bench’ is unveiled at a flower show in Japan, measuring 1,832 feet and seating 900 people (world’s largest collection of chewing gum wads is stuck underneath)
2015  Golfer Jordan Spieth wins the US Open golf championship at age 21, making him the youngest to win since Bobby Jones over 90 years previously
BS WACK FACTS:
• The reason artificial banana flavouring doesn’t taste like bananas is because it is based on a type of banana that was wiped out by a plague in the 1950s.
• There is an uninhabited island in the Bahamas known as Pig Beach, which is populated entirely by swimming pigs.
• There are an average of 50,000 spiders per acre in green areas
• For every human in the world there are one million ants. (Help yourself!)
• Viagra, when dissolved in water, can make cut-flowers stay erect for up to a week longer than they usually would. Try it!
BS SIGNS YOU’RE JUST NOT READY FOR SUMMER:
• Putting on last year’s swimsuit requires Vaseline and a shoe-horn.
• You’re still trying to untangle the Christmas lights from the weed whacker.
• You used all your bikini wax to polish your skis during the winter.
• Your belly has more rolls than Sara Lee.
• Still hungover from Spring Break.
• Your nickname down at the fitness club … ‘Chicken Legs’.
BS PHONE STARTER:
☎ What sound most exemplifies Summer to you? (Get your SFX library ready!)
BS RANDOM JOKE:
A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: It sounds strange, but doing this between projects at work makes you more productive. What is it?
A: Washing your hands!
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
If plan ‘A’ didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters. Stay cool.