Thursday, May 24, 2018 Edition: #6219
Thanks For Being On Our Sheet List!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★Today in news that no one saw coming: Ariana Grande is reportedly dating “Saturday Night Live” star Pete Davidson. Apparently, the pair were spotted at a restaurant in early May, and Ariana was hanging out with Pete and his mom at the SNL after party on May 12. Meanwhile, People reports that Pete was around to support Ariana after the Billboard Music Awards. A source was quoted as saying that after her performance, “They were backstage and he had his arm around her. They seemed very lovey-dovey…She seemed quite smitten.”
★ Dan Aykroyd has revealed who he’d like to cast in a female remake of “The Blues Brothers”. The comedy legend – who played one of the title characters in the hit 1980 film alongside the late John Belushi – has hinted at the idea of casting Lupita Nyong’o and Taylor Swift to take on the roles of Elwood and Jake Blues. Speaking to Entertainment Tonight Canada, he said: ”I like Lupita Nyong’o, and I like Taylor Swift. She’s got all the chops. She can sing, she can burn down guitar!”
★ Tom Cruise once ordered a pig be delivered to director Rob Reiner’s room at The Carlyle hotel in New York. That revelation is one of many featured in Matthew Miele’s new film “Always At The Carlyle”, which takes an inside look at the Big Apple hangout that has long been a refuge for celebrities and very special guests. Director Miele, who spent eight years getting to know staff and quizzing them about their favorite celebrity stories, says that there are many great stories, but Cruise’s piglet story is his fondest – and weirdest.
★ Halle Berry has been cast alongside Keanu Reeves in the third installment of ‘John Wick’. Reeves will return as the former assassin in “John Wick 3: Parabellum”, which will be directed by Chad Stahelski. The events of the movie will pick up after the second film in the franchise. It is unclear what character Berry will play, but word is that she will NOT have the role of a villain.
★ Reese Witherspoon is launching her own Book Club on Audible featuring stories by empowering female authors. ‘Reese’s Book Club x Hello Sunshine’, which will begin in June, is named after the ‘Legally Blonde’ actress’ company Hello Sunshine.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Samantha Bee, Dylan Minnette, Anderson Paak
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Cate Blanchett, Guy Fieri, Darius Rucker
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Anne Hathaway, David Sedaris, Ahmed Bharoocha
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Mindy Kaling, Ellie Kemper, Liz Garbus, Steven Wolf
• “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Ted Danson, Natalie Dormer, Jessie J
• “Conan” (TBS/Comedy): James Comey, Tig Notaro
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Laurie Metcalf, Paul Bettany
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Snoop Dogg, Claire Shipman & Katty Kay
• “The Talk” (CBS): Kelsey Grammar
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Ethan Hawke, Simon Baker
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Amy Poehler, Nick Offerman, Tig Notaro
• “The Last Days of Michael Jackson” (ABC): An exploration of the “King of Pop’s” life and legacy; never-before-seen interviews with Jackson.
• “Red Nose Day” (NBC): A star-studded cast of Hollywood favorites comes together to change the lives of kids in need. Chris Hardwick hosts the one-hour special, which features Kelly Clarkson visiting a local elementary school to celebrate students who are raising money for Red Nose Day.
• “NBA Playoffs” (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS): Golden State vs. Houston
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Meek Mill – now that he’s out of prison, anticipation for new music has reached an all-time high. And in a just-leaked a song snippet, he gives Drake a shout-out, leading many to believe a collaboration from the former foes is in the works. The lyrics include the lines: “Is we beefing or rapping?/I might just pop up on Drizzy…”
• Ariana Grande – remembered the one-year anniversary of the Manchester bombing with a tweet saying: “Thinking of you all today and every day. I love you with all of me and am sending you all of the light and warmth I have to offer on this challenging day.” A suicide bomber took the lives of 22 people and injured about 500 as fans were exiting her concert.
• Kendrick Lamar – was forced to step in after the white female fan he invited up on stage at a music festival dropped the N-word three times while rapping along to his song. Lamar quickly cut the music. The guest’s performance elicited boos and foul language from the audience.
• ‘NSync – A glitch in Google’s search results caused it to list the members of the group as Justin Timberlake, J.C. Chasez, Lance Bass, Chris Kirkpatrick, and … Shaquille O’Neal?! Yes, the 7-foot-1 former basketball star was given Joey Fatone’s spot. Fatone tweeted: “Who knew @SHAQ was in @NSYNC does that mean I played basketball ?!”
• The Beatles – Their animated fantasy film “Yellow Submarine” was released 50 years ago this summer. To celebrate, Titan is publishing an Apple-approved graphic novel version by ‘Simpsons’ artist Bill Morrison. It will be released Aug. 28 and can be pre-ordered at the official Beatles store.
• Guns N’ Roses – have revealed a previously unseen music video for the 1987 song ‘It’s So Easy’, which sat in their vaults incomplete for almost three decades. The video was shelved before it was finished. As part of the upcoming “Appetite For Destruction: Locked N’ Loaded” box set, the footage was resurrected and digitally restored.
• Greta Van Fleet – while at the Rock On The Range festival this past weekend. Guitarist Jake Kiszka had this to say about their upcoming debut full-length album, “We’re in the mixing process, so it’s going to be quite soon…Absolutely, this year.”
• Sam Hunt – wants kids. Quote: “I’ve got more baby fever than my wife I think but she’s coming around.” For now, Hunt says he’s just enjoying the honeymoon phase of a new marriage to Hannah Lee Fowler.
• Lauren Alaina – will be among the performers at the fifth annual ‘Georgia On My Mind’ concert, hosted by hit songwriters and Georgia natives Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson and Ben Hayslip (also known as The Peach Pickers). It is set for June 26 at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium. Also on the bill: Travis Denning, Chris Janson, Michael Ray, and songwriters Pat Alger and Tony Arata.
Scientists have developed a way of texting through the use of finger movements. The idea is that users will be able to send messages in situations where it would be considered rude or difficult to pull out your phone and send a traditional text message. The system, called ‘Fingerping’, operates with a thumb ring that detects movements in the hand. The method is used to send simple messages through the tapping of a finger or by making the finger signs for numbers like 1,2,3,4 or 5. Doing so sends signals, known as “chirps,” which are read by a smartwatch and turned into text. The Georgia Tech development team says the system could also help ease arthritis in the hands and be used to translate sign language. They say that a wearable device will give you the ability to interact at any time in “an appropriate and discreet fashion”.
(Can anyone see the potential for some wildly inappropriate gestures happening here?)
(Well, no more fingerprints on your screen, at least…)
(First we had Tweets, now we have Chirps. What’s next? Quacks? Or is this kind of a quack already?)
I’D AVOID THIS:
Maybe it sounds like something that you’d see on an infomercial, but scientists say it really works. Materials science researchers at the University of Michigan say they have developed an industrial-strength coating that repels…just about everything! Their goal was to make a substance that was clear so it would be invisible on any surface; smooth enough to repel not only water, but also oils and alcohols; and versatile enough to stick to a wide variety of surfaces. What they came up with is an “omniphobic” coating that can be sprayed, brushed, dipped, or spin-coated onto a wide variety of surfaces. Even if the object gets scratched or scuffed, the coating will keep on working to repel water-, oil-, and alcohol-based substances — even peanut butter and jelly. They are working on getting it to market.
(But they can’t get the darn stuff into the boxes!)
(Does it work on telemarketers?)
(If it repels everything, how do they get it to stay on?)
EASY GOING DOES NOT EQUAL EASY MONEY:
We’ve all heard the old saying that ‘Nice guys finish last’. Totally true. That’s according to new research – at least when it comes to the professional success of well-educated men over 40. The study, published in ‘Labour Economics’, followed more than 1,000 Californians with super high IQs of more than 140 from age 18 to 75. All of the subjects were similarly gifted, but how much they earned varied greatly based on their personalities. The results showed that there are three personality traits linked with higher earnings. The first two are unsurprising: conscientiousness and extroversion. But the other trait is where the ‘nice guys finish last’ thing comes in: the less agreeable a man was (i.e. the less nice he was), the more he earned, especially later in his career when he was likely to be pursuing leadership roles. More agreeable men, who tend to be friendly and helpful to others, have significantly lower earnings than less agreeable men…to the tune of about $270,000 less over a lifettime.
(I’m sorry, but I just can’t agree with this!)
(I guess it would do us all some good if we agree to disagree!)
(That’s the last time I agree to help those guys out with one of their stupid studies!)
FOODS THAT MAKE YOU TIRED:
☞ Bread: Carbs are a great source of energy, but, there’s a letdown to that…and that’s the plunge in your insulin levels after eating a refined carbohydrate like bread. (I thought I was just bored…from eating bread…)
☞ Turkey: Turkey contains tryptophan which in the brain turns into a chemical that makes you tired. So you weren’t imagining it, turkey really does make you sleepy! (Turkey sandwich = bad idea!)
☞ Dark Chocolate: It’s good for you, but there’s a catch. Dark chocolate contains serotonin which is a neurotransmitter that helps you relax. (It’s true. Once I was asked to bring home some chocolate, and when I arrived with dark chocolate, I slept like a baby all night…on the couch!)
☞ Bananas: Bananas are high in magnesium which is a mineral that acts as a muscle relaxant, which makes it a great before-bed snack, but can drain you during the day.
☞ Lettuce: I KNOW, right?!?! As it turns out, the milky sap in lettuce contains an opium-like substance, lactucin, that can cause your body to enter a more relaxed and sleepy state.
☞ Tart Cherries: Tart cherries, unlike their sweet sisters, are a natural source of melatonin, which is the hormone that helps you sleep. (Who picks them over the sweet ones anyway?)
☞ Red Meat: Red meat has a higher fat content which takes time and energy for your body to break down and digest, turning all that hard work into fatigue.
☞ Salmon: Salmon is often praised for its healthy fats, omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins. However, that vitamin B6 is also what your body uses to produce the sleep hormone – melatonin. (So…red meat AND pink meat?)
☞ Energy Bars(!!): Energy bars will give you that boost of energy that they promised – but they will also cause a crash afterward. Not to mention, some energy bars have as much sugar in them as a candy bar. (So much like the gym, it just makes me want to go to bed!)
(And the only thing that kept this show off the list is the fact that you can’t eat it!)
BS CHRONOMETER 05.24.18
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1938  Tommy Chong, Edmonton, AB, movie actor (‘Cheech and Chong’ comedy albums and movies, “Leo in That 70’s Show”)
1941  Bob Dylan (Zimmerman), Duluth MN, folk/rock/pop singer-songwriter (‘Like a Rolling Stone’)/Lifetime Achievement “Grammy Award” (1991)/Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (1988)/Nobel Prize in Literature 2016
1945  Priscilla Presley, Brooklyn, NY, TV Actess (‘Jenna Wade’ on “Dallas” 1983-1988)/ married to Elvis Presley 1967-1973
1960  Doug Jones, Indianapolis IN, movie actor (“The Shape of Water”, “Pan’s Labyrinth”) COMING UP…”5th Passenger” 2018
1965  John C. Reilly, Chicago IL, movie actor (“Step Brothers”, “Guardians of the Galaxy”) COMING UP…”Stan and Ollie” 2019
1969  Rich Robinson, Atlanta GA, rock guitarist (Black Crowes-‘Hard to Handle’, ‘She Talks to Angels’)
1982  Cody Hanson, Plano TX, rock drummer (Hinder-‘Lips Of an Angel’)
1986  Mark Ballas, Houston TX, professional dancer (“Dancing With the Stars” 2007-2016)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Asparagus Day”, honoring the only ‘spears’ most of us ever eat. Essayist Marcel Proust wrote in the late 1800s that asparagus “transforms my chamber-pot into a flask of perfume.” (Someone needs to get his nose checked!)
• “Brothers Day”, a day to give them a quick punch on the arm … just to let ’em know you care.
• “Escargot Day”, celebrating the gourmet food you can harvest off your driveway. How come we’ll eat snails but not slugs? Aren’t they the same thing?
• “International Tiara Day”, a day for women to celebrate their leadership powers. Real or virtual tiara-wearing is optional.
• “Scavenger Hunt Day”, a game where individuals or teams compete to find items or perform tasks provided to them as a list by the organizers of the game.
COMING UP . . .
[Fri] Geek Pride Day
[Fri] Wine Day
[Sat] Blueberry Cheesecake Day
[Sat] Jazz Day
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1991  Oscar-winning road movie “Thelma & Louise”, starring Geena Davis & Susan Sarandon, opens in theaters
2014  Reality star Kim Kardashian and rapper Kanye West are married in Florence, Italy
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2006  Taylor Hicks wins Season 5 of American Idol, defeating Katharine McPhee
2016  Gord Downie, lead singer of The Tragically Hip, announces that he has a terminal brain cancer called glioblastoma. Downie does one last tour with the band, closing with a show in his hometown of Kingston, Ontario, on August 21. He died Oct. 17 2017.
TODAY’S SPORTING EVENT…
1935  The first night game in Major League Baseball history in Cincinnati, Ohio. the Cincinnati Reds beat the Philadelphia Phillies 2–1 at Crosley Field. (This lamp post brought to you by…)
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
2003  Paul McCartney sits down for tea with Russian president Vladimir Putin, then heads to Moscow’s Red Square for his 1st-ever performance in the country
BS WACK FACTS:
✓ In 2014, Taylor Swift accidentally released 8 seconds of white noise. It topped the Canadian iTunes chart.
✓ While in development, Star Trek’s Spock was originally going to be from Mars. Due to a concern that a Martian landing might take place before the end of the series, his home planet was changed.
✓ Scientists found traces of cannabis in pipes found in William Shakespeare’s garden.
✓ Face-recognition software determined that Leonardo Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa is 83% happy, 9% disgusted, 6% fearful, and 2% angry.
✓ Scientists concluded that the chicken came first, not the egg, because the protein which makes egg shells is only produced by hens.
✓ Boanthropy is a psychological disorder where people think they’re cows.
BS UNLIKELY YEARBOOK QUOTES:
• Wish there had been more Math!
• I think we proved that teens really do care deeply about school spirit.
• It’s all smooth sailing from here on out!
• Why can’t I seem to swipe left on any of these pictures?
• I know this 5th year of HS is going to be grate.
• Your baby shower was the best party of the year!
• Remember: Zits do not last forever but your nickname ‘Zitty McZit Face’ might
• Let’s stay connected on Facebook because I really want to see what kinds of salads you’re eating 10 years from now.
• Looking forward to all of the opportunities that the real world will have for me to use algebra!
• I’m going to love this picture in the future!
BS PHONE STARTER:
What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What’s holding you back?
BS RANDOM JOKE:
I’m my own worst enemy, but there are hundreds tied for second place.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: 20% of women say they plan on losing weight because of THIS. What?
Answer: Class Reunion
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
We will forever be known by the tracks we leave behind us.