Friday, May 25, 2018 – Edition: #6220
Bully For You!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ “Game of Thrones” and “Solo” star Emilia Clarke just dropped a major bomb about the ‘Fifty Shades’ franchise. We all know that Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson shot to fame by portraying Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele. And you may know that “Sons of Anarchy” star Charlie Hunnam was initially picked to play Christian but walked away because of scheduling issues. Now, Clarke says that she turned down the Anastasia Steele role because she feared that she just couldn’t cope with the pressure.
(Now, does she mean the pressure of the role, or the pressure of the ahem…equipment?)
★ Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who set a record last year with her sixth consecutive ‘Lead Actress in a Comedy’ Emmy for her role on “Veep”, will be the recipient of this year’s ‘Mark Twain Prize for American Humor’. The honor will be bestowed at a gala performance event Oct. 21 at the Kennedy Center Concert Hall in Washington, D.C. It recognizes individuals who have had an impact on American society in ways similar to the distinguished 19th-century novelist and essayist Samuel Clemens, best known as Mark Twain.
★ Reports are that the official World Cup 2018 song comes out today, and it will be performed by…Will Smith! He is said to have recorded the track alongside fellow American Nicky Jam and Kosovar singer Era Istrefi. Smith posted a photo of himself and Nicky Jam on his Instagram account together with an official FIFA World Cup football, and the caption, “One Life to Live. Live it Up. WorldCup.”
(Here’s hoping the lyrics aren’t about a dude taking a cab from Philly to live with his Auntie and Uncle in Russia …)
★ “Luther” star Idris Elba is set to direct, produce and star in a modern day adaptation of ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’ for Netflix. Based on Victor Hugo’s 1831 novel of the same name, Idris will star as Quasimodo in the flick, which will be produced under his Green Door company.
★ Liam Neeson is in negotiations to join Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson in the upcoming “Men in Black” spinoff. Gary Gray, who directed “Straight Outta Compton” and “The Fate of the Furious,” is on board already. The studio fast-tracked the project in the fall and is aiming for a May 2019, release.
★ Ashton Kutcher surprised Ellen by appearing on her show this week to speak to her about a new investment he is involved with. He demonstrated the simplicity of the money-transfer platform ‘Ripple’ by transferring a $4 million donation to the Ellen DeGeneres Wildlife Fund with just one click. Kutcher told Ellen “You’re always thinking about everyone else and we wanted to show you that people are thinking about you.”
(And the animals, apparently!)
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Julianna Margulies, Giancarlo Stanton, Dan White
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): James Comey, Jason Aldean ( R )
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Ethan Hawke, Ronan Farrow, Jodie Comer, Matt Byrne ( R )
• “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Meghan Trainor, Guillermo del Toro, Jamie Lee ( R )
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Stormy Daniels, Michael Avenatti, Andrew Morton ( R )
• “The Talk” (CBS): Taye Diggs, Susan Feniger
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Alec Baldwin
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Ewan McGregor, BTS
• “Undercover Boss: Celebrity Edition” (CBS): YouTube sensation and author Bethany Mota goes undercover to identify up-and-coming YouTube talent.
• “Quantico” (ABC): The recently canceled series is banished to Friday nights for its final episodes.
• “NBA Playoffs” (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS): Boston vs. Cleveland
• “American Idol” (ABC): The winner is crowned in the Season 1 finale
• “NBA Playoffs” (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS): Houston vs. Golden State
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Gillian Jacobs, Vanessa Bayer, Phoebe Robinson
• “NBA Playoffs” (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS): Cleveland vs. Boston (if necessary)
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Ariana Grande – has responded to a Twitter user who shamed her for leaving Mac Miller, her boyfriend of two years. She wrote: “How absurd that you minimize female self-respect and self-worth by saying someone should stay in a toxic relationship because he wrote an album.” Grande split from Miller earlier this year, and earlier this week he was arrested after allegedly crashing his car and leaving the scene with twice the legal limit of alcohol in his system.
• Britney Spears – her ex Kevin Federline is seeking $60k a month for child support — three times what he’s getting now. The legal papers mention the “extreme disparity between the lifestyle enjoyed by” their sons at Federline’s house versus at Spears’.
• Celine Dion – has returned to the stage for the first time since undergoing ear surgery. She was forced to cancel her shows at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas between March 27-April 18 for a ”minimally invasive surgical procedure” to correct an ear problem.
• Rolling Stones – Mick Jagger says that before a show, he likes to “relax and chill out” with some Bob Marley music. Then he does a dance warm-up to some current music. Usually, Keith Richards plays Little Richard. Charlie Watts? Duke Ellington.
• Guns N’ Roses – are giving fans a behind the scenes look at the ‘Not In This Lifetime’ tour in a newly-released video package. The montage gives a glimpse of the band’s pre-show rituals. It shows, among other things, Slash playing guitar in a hallway, Dizzy Reed playing keyboards in a hallway, and Axl Rose….smiling!
• The Offspring – guitarist Kevin “Noodles” Wasserman says band is almost done with their new album and hope to release it this fall. He reports they have “10 or 12 songs done”. The new effort will be the follow-up to their 2012 album “Days Go By” and will feature the group’s 2015 single ‘Coming for You’.
• Ashley McBryde – says that she is recognized more for her tattoos than for her face. So much so, that sometimes after performing, she puts on sleeves and goes into the audience to watch other acts anonymously.
• Rodney Crowell – The July 13 release of his 19th album “Acoustic Classics” will feature 12 of his most recognizable songs in all-new settings. Included are the #1 songs ‘Making Memories of Us’ and ‘Please Remember Me’, which he wrote for Keith Urban and Tim McGraw respectively.
TODAY’S MOVIE OPENINGS:
• “Solo: A Star Wars Story” (PG-13, Action/Adventure): During an adventure into a dark criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his future copilot Chewbacca and encounters Lando Calrissian years before joining the Rebellion. (Alden Ehrenreich, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover)
• “How to Talk to Girls at Parties” (R-Rated, Comedy/Fantasy): An alien touring the galaxy breaks away from her group and meets two young inhabitants of the most dangerous place in the universe: the London suburb of Croydon. (Elle Fanning, Nicole Kidman)
• “Mary Shelley” (PG-13, Drama): The love affair between poet Percy Shelley and 18 year old Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin, which resulted in Mary Shelley writing ‘Frankenstein’. (Ben Hardy, Elle Fanning, Maisie Williams)
• “In Darkness” (R-Rated, Mystery/Suspense): A blind musician hears a murder committed in the apartment upstairs from hers that sends her down a dark path into London’s gritty criminal underworld. (Natalie Dormer, Emily Ratajkowski)
• “The Gospel According to André” (PG-13, Documentary): The life story of operatic fashion editor André Leon Talley, from the segregated American South to the fashion capitals of the world. (André Leon Talley, Sean Combs, Divine, Tom Ford)
MATTERS OF THE HEART:
There’s no more universal sign of love than a heart. And that goes for emojis too. The traditional red heart has become the default signal of approval on Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and probably Tinder as well, but I’ve never been there. Honest. Apple says the red-heart emoji was the second most popular one last year (crying laugh-face was #1). But which heart are you supposed to use? There are so many to choose from. Most agree that the green heart is a universal sign of jealousy. So don’t go there. Some say the black heart is a “goth heart”. And what is the significance of the pink ones? Experts seem to agree that the one emoji that means true love, the heart that is more powerful than all the others is…”the Wi-Fi heart”. The Wi-Fi heart, known to many as the “beating heart,” is a simple pink heart with dual Wi-Fi-symbol signals emanating from its humps. Why? Wi-Fi itself has long stood as a metaphor for love and connection. Many don’t yet recognize its true meaning, but word is starting to catch on.
(Wi-fi means love and connection? Well, I have to admit I really miss it when its not here!)
(THAT’S what that means! I thought it was a picture of a shrinking heart!)
(Who would send a “black heart” to someone, anyway?)
A company has just announced that they have plans for a wirelessly connected “smart diaper” that would not only alert a caregiver when there’s a new “event” but also analyze and identify the new contents, and assign a number to it. And by that I mean one of the numbers ‘1′ or ‘2′. The connected, absorbent gadget will sound the alarm via bluetooth and an app, which will also keep a record of events. Although other companies have made smart diapers before, these guys, known as ‘Verily’, say there is room for significant advancement in the technology in order to offer an all-in-one design that can differentiate between a wee squirt and a code brown. While both require attention and a change, an explosive diaper bomb often requires more urgency, particularly if a baby is dealing with diaper rash. They say that eventually, this product could be made for the elderly, sick, disabled, or even animals.
(Is this what they call WEARABLE tech?)
(All this AND it analyzes the latest download too!)
(Well, that’ll take a load off for parents, won’t it?)
FROM THE BS POLL VAULT:
A statistical look at who we are and the things we do …
• 4% of men and 8% of women say they have never used a port-a-potty.
• 35% of workers said they would forgo a pay raise in exchange for having their boss fired.
• 10% of people think HTML –the language of web pages– is a sexually transmitted disease.
• 5% of us do not have a bottle of ketchup in our homes.
• 61% of us say our favorite hot dog topping is mustard.
• 6% of children like to dip their french fries … in mustard.
• 43% of adults say they would be terrified to find out what really goes into the making of a hot dog.
BS CHRONOMETER 05.25.18
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1939  (Sir) Ian McKellen, Burnley UK, movie actor (“The Hobbit” films, “Lord Of the Rings” trilogy, “X-Men” series)
1944  Frank Oz (Oznowicz), Hereford UK, voice actor (‘Yoda’ in “Star Wars” series)/Muppeteer (‘Miss Piggy’, ‘Fozzie Bear’, ‘Bert’, ‘Grover’, ‘Cookie Monster’)
1963  Mike Myers, Toronto ON, movie actor (“Shrek” series, “Austin Powers” movies)/Canadian Walk of Fame (2003) COMING UP….Bohemian Rhapsody” 2018
1969  Anne Heche, Aurora OH, TV actress (“Men in Trees” 2006-2008″, “The Brave” since 2017)/ movie actress (“Seven Days Seven Nights”, “Donnie Brasco”)
1970  Octavia Spencer, Montgomery, LA, movie actress (“The Help”, “Hidden Figures”)
1975  Lauryn Hill, South Orange NJ, pop/R&B singer (‘Doo Wop [That Thing]’, The Fugees-‘Killing Me Softly’)
1976  Cillian Murphy, Douglas, Ireland, movie actor (“Inception”, “The Dark Knight Rises”)/TV actor (“Peaky Blinders” 2013-2017)
1948  Stevie (Stephanie) Nicks, Phoenix AZ, pop/rock singer (‘Edge of Seventeen’, Fleetwood Mac-‘Dreams’)/Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (1998)
1949  Hank Williams Jr, Shreveport LA, country singer (‘That’s How They Do It In Dixie’, ‘All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight’)
1964  Lenny Kravitz, NYC, rock singer-guitarist (‘Fly Away’, ‘Are You Gonna Go My Way’)
1966  Helena Bonham Carter, London UK, movie actress (“The King’s Speech”, “Alice in Wonderland”)
1971  Matt Stone, Houston TX, TV writer & producer (“South Park” co-creator with Trey Parker)
1983  Scott Disick, Eastport, NY, reality star (“Keeping Up With The Kardashians” 2007-2016)
1971  Paul Bettany, London UK, movie actor (“Iron Man 2″, “The Da Vinci Code”)/married to actress Jennifer Connelly since 2003
1973  Jack McBrayer, Macon GA, TV actor (“30 Rock” 2006-2013, “The Middle” 2013-18
1975  André 3000 (Benjamin), Atlanta GA, hip-hop artist (OutKast-‘Hey Ya!’, ‘The Way You Move’)
1975  Jamie Oliver, Clavering UK, celebrity TV chef (“Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution”, “Jamie’s Kitchen”, “The Naked Chef”, etc)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Geek Pride Day”, a day for sci-fi fans and techno-nerds to stand tall. The date coincides with the 1977 release of the first “Star Wars” movie. What is a geek? The Geek Pride Organization says ‘you know one when you see one’. (Wasn’t May the 4th enough for these dweebs?)
• “International Missing Children’s Day”, promoting awareness of the problem and safety tips for kids and parents. We’re encouraged to turn on porch lights in observance as a way to show hope and support for missing kids and their families.
• “African Liberation Day”, when many African countries celebrate the hard-fought achievement of their freedom from European colonial powers. It was founded in 1958 and coincides with the African Union’s “Africa Day”.
• “Tap Dance Day”, honoring the birthday of Bill ‘Bojangles’ Robinson, ‘King of Tap Dancers’, in 1878.
• “Brown Bag-It Day”, taking your lunch to work or school is an effective way to save money and to ensure you and your family are eating healthy (and to smuggle all of the cookies out of the house for yourself!)
• “Wine Day”, Celebrated each year, it has a sister holiday in February, National Drink Wine Day. (really, ANY day is wine day)
• “Blueberry Cheesecake Day”. Well okay … if we have to!
• “Paper Airplane Day”, an unofficial observance honoring the simple aeronautical toy anyone can make. You’re encouraged to stage contests for ‘greatest distance’ and ‘longest time aloft’.
• “World Redhead Day”, Some Wack Redhead Facts:
• Less than 2% of the population has red hair.
• Red hair is thicker than other colors, and harder to dye.
• Redheads are more sensitive to hot, cold and pain.
• Redheads are more likely to be left handed.
• Thanks to climate change, it is believed that red hair is dye-ing out (sorry for the pun!)
• Redhead women have more sex.
• “Cellophane Tape Day”, marking the date in 1930 that a patent for the product was granted to one Richard Drew. His invention was later marketed by 3M as ‘Scotch’ tape.
• “Grape Popsicle Day”, a salute to one of the favorite flavors of the frozen treat. Also messiest.
• “Sunscreen Protection Day”, to create awareness of the importance of using protection against harmful UV rays from the Sun.
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1977  “Star Wars” (Episode IV – A New Hope), directed by George Lucas and starring Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford is released, accompanied by an instantly iconic score from John Williams (This date 1983: “Return of the Jedi” is released)
2011  Oprah Winfrey airs her final program, ending the 25-year TV run of “The Oprah Winfrey Show”
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
1985  Wham!’s ‘Everything She Wants’ hits #1 in the US, making them the first group since the Bee Gees to have three #1 hits from the same album. (‘Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go’, ‘Careless Whisper’)
2005  Carrie Underwood wins Season 4 of American Idol and becomes the show’s most successful alum: Her debut album goes on to sell over 7 million copies.
TODAY’S FIRSTS . . .
2001  32-year-old Erik Weihenmayer of Boulder CO becomes the 1st blind person to reach the summit of Mt Everest
2012  The ‘Dragon’ spacecraft developed by SpaceX becomes the 1st commercial spacecraft to successfully rendezvous with the International Space Station
BS WACK FACTS:
✓ In Greek mythology, it was believed that redheads turn into vampires when they die.
✓ The average speed of a Heinz Ketchup squirt is .028 MPH.
✓ West Side Story was originally called East Side Story.
✓ The word “school” comes from the ancient Greek word for “free time.”
✓ A study proved that most people can’t distinguish expensive wines from inexpensive ones.
✓ On average, the more features your phone has, the longer you spend in the toilet.
BS BAD TURNDOWNS:
• Sorry I need to take this. My banana’s ringing.
• Sure we can have coffee. I’ll bring my boyfriend.
• Sorry, I don’t do charity work.
• Oh, I’m interested. Just not in you.
• If you can’t even then I cannot with all of that.
• Are you freakin’ kidding me?
• Sorry, I have to wash my shampoo that day.
• I can do better.
• Not you, I was asking your friend. The pretty one.
• For what?
BS LEAST POPULAR TV SPORTS:
• Bungee Archery
• Seniors Hide-and-Seek
• Bowling-Ball Soccer
• Greco-Roman Tiddly Winks
• Public Pool Warm-Spot Obstacle Course
• Nude Bowling
• Cobra Throw
• Lawn Farts
• Synchronized Snow-Writing
-First published in BS in 2006
BS PHONE STARTER:
What health news report stopped you from eating or doing something that you once loved?
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Always give 100%, unless it’s blood.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: 3/4 of singles say it’s a deal breaker if they see their date do THIS. What?
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.