Thursday, May 31, 2018 – Edition: #6224
The BS Press!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Morgan Freeman’s lawyer has demanded a retraction and apology from CNN over its story last week accusing the actor of “unwanted touching” and sexual harassment. A letter to the network reads in part, “It is clear that CNN has defamed Mr. Freeman. CNN has inflicted serious injury on his reputation and career. At a minimum, CNN immediately needs to issue a retraction and apologize to Mr. Freeman through the same channels, and with the same level of attention, that it used to unjustly attack him on May 24.” Freeman’s law firm accuses the network of “malicious intent, falsehoods, slight-of-hand, an absence of editorial control, and journalistic malpractice.” CNN did not immediately respond.
★ Josh Brolin has more than his hit films “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Deadpool 2″ to celebrate. On Tuesday, his wife of two years, Kathryn Boyd, announced she is pregnant with her first child. Josh already has a 29 year old son and a 24 year old daughter with ex-wife Alice Adair. Because Josh’s father James Brolin is married to Barbra Streisand, this means Babs will become a step-grandmother again.
(And she’ll insist she is on the ‘best side’ of the family…)
★ Seth Meyers, Jo Koy, Wanda Sykes, and Hannibal Buress are among the headliners booked for Toronto’s JFL42 comedy festival. Organizers says September’s laugh-fest will also feature Anthony Jeselnik, Chris D’Elia and Ken Jeong.
★America Ferrera has given birth to a baby boy. The ‘Ugly Betty’ star took to Instagram on Tuesday to reveal she has become a mother for the first time after she and her husband Ryan Piers Williams welcomed a son named Sebastian – or Baz for short – into the world.
(***NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STORY WAS PUBLISHED IN AN UPDATE ON YESTERDAY’S BS…***):
★ ABC has pulled the plug on the revival of “Roseanne.” This comes after star Roseanne Barr made a comment on Twitter Tuesday morning referring to former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett as the offspring of the “Muslim Brotherhood & Planet of the Apes.” Jarrett, an African-American, was born in Iran to American parents. In a statement, ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said that “Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show.” Just prior to the cancellation, Wanda Sykes, who worked as a consulting producer on the first revival season, announced she would not be returning for the show’s next season.
★ After ABC pulled the plug on “Roseanne,” Charlie Sheen took the opportunity to call for a return of his sitcom “Two and a Half Men”. Sheen tweeted: “Adios Roseanne! Good riddance hashtag NOT Winning. The runway is now clear for OUR reboot. #CharlieHarperReturns.” As fans of the series know, Two and a Half Men ran from 2003 to 2012, but Sheen was famously fired from the series after Season 7 following a slew of bad publicity similar to that which Barr is getting now.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Claire Danes, Jason Mitchell, Pusha T
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Serena Williams, Priyanka Chopra, David Blaine ( R )
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Jamie Foxx, Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats, Deadpool ( R )
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Jimmy Fallon, Patton Oswalt, Kylie Minogue, Sarah Tomek ( R )
• “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Tony Hale, Jason Schwartzman, Blake Vogt ( R )
• “Conan” (TBS/Comedy): Martin Short, Natalie Zea, Michael Longfellow ( R )
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Bethenny Frankel, Lea Michele ( R )
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Andre Leon Talley, Caissie Levy
• “The Talk” (CBS): Hank Azaria, guest co-hosts Carrie Ann Inaba & Carnie Wilson
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Tituss Burgess, Chris Byrne
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Kristen Bell, Jamie & Corinne Foxx, Fall Out Boy
• “America’s Got Talent” (NBC): A variety of acts perform for the judges.
• “NBA Playoffs” (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS): Final Game #1: Cleveland vs. Golden State
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Kesha – Dr. Luke claims she cost him work with Katy Perry, and he is seeking $50 million in damages after Kesha allegedly defamed him with sexual assault allegations. Those claims were later thrown out by a NY judge.
• Cardi B – made an embarrassing blunder when she tweeted: “It’s amazing how Donald Glover and Childish Gambino look soo much alike. I think they secretly the same person. So dope!” In case you aren’t aware, they ARE the same person. (Wait until she finds out about Hannah Montana!)
• Dr. Dre – is planning to expand his huge Los Angeles mansion by building a mammoth fortified basement. Documents show that he plans to dig up an area of his property, roughly equal in size to the existing mansion, so he can build a bunker-like basement. He bought the home from football star Tom Brady in 2014 for $40 million.
• Weezer – have given in to a fan’s social media campaign and recorded a version of Toto’s 1982 smash ‘Africa’. In December, a Cleveland-area teenager named Mary created a Twitter account called @weezerafrica and tweeted: “It’s about time you bless the rains down in Africa.” Last week, the band appeared to be trolling her by covering another huge hit from Toto IV, ‘Rosanna’. Listen to Weezer’s ‘Africa’ here
• Elton John – will deliver the ‘Diana, Princess Of Wales Lecture on HIV’, on June 8 in London. Sir Elton – who established his own AIDS foundation in 1992 – said: ”I am delighted to be able to deliver this lecture and to remember the enormous contribution Diana, Princess of Wales made to this cause.”
• Guns N’ Roses – Original guitarist Izzy Stradlin has revealed why he did not take part in the band’s blockbuster “Not In This Lifetime” reunion tour. Quote: “My nonparticipation was simply not being able to reach a happy middle ground through the negotiation process. That’s life. Sometimes things don’t work out.” (In a 2016 tweet, he was a little more frank: “They didn’t want to split the loot equally. Simple as that.”
• Dan + Shay – are among the next wave of performers announced for the 2018 CMT Music Awards on June 6. Also singing: Carrie Underwood, Florida Georgia Line, Jason Aldean, Little Big Town, Backstreet Boys, Dierks Bentley with Brothers Osborne, and Darius Rucker with Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan and Charles Kelley. The CMT Music Awards, which will be hosted by Little Big town, will crown winners in eight categories.
• Carrie Underwood – says she came up with the idea for the glitter tears that she sports in the video for ‘Cry Pretty’. She calls herself “Alice Cooper Barbie” due to her faint resemblance
to the shock rocker in the video.
In the U.S., more and more states are switching to four-day school weeks. At this point, 24 states, including Colorado, Montana and Oregon have schools with four-day weeks. Oklahoma may be the leader of this trend, with 97 of their 513 school districts having made the switch, with more probably to follow. Administrators say the shortened week helps them deal with funding cuts, and allows them to attract high-quality teachers, who appreciate having a three-day weekend every weekend. Under this system, school kids still receive the required number of hours of classroom time, but it is accomplished in 4 days per week, rather than 5. Those involved also report that kids’ performance and attendance has improved with the 4-day system, and so has morale among students AND teachers.
(And day-care providers!)
(In my experience, once you hit highschool, they’re lucky if you’re there four days of the week anyway…)
(Only fours days of school per week? How do these kids get enough sleep?)
(They should make Wednesdays the extra day off, just to bug them!)
VITAMINS: NO SO VITAL:
Vitamins and supplements are good for us, sure, but does taking them make us live any longer? That question was put to the test in a study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. It shows that of the four most commonly-used supplements – Multivitamins, vitamin D, calcium and vitamin C – none had a significant effect on all-cause mortality. In other words, no, they didn’t allow users to live longer. Folic acid was found to reduce incidence of stroke by 20%. Oh, and antioxidants (and niacin)? They were found to actually increase all-cause mortality….which I believe means that it made you more likely to die. About 52% of Americans are estimated to take dietary supplements.
(It sounds like the only thing these things supplement is the income of the vitamin makers!)
(That does it! No more vitamins for me. Unless they are those delicious little gummy ones!)
The Energizer bunny can only lie down in exhaustion after hearing this. There is a bell in Clarendon Laboratory at Oxford University. The bell has been ringing for more than 175 years. And it is powered by the same, seemingly immortal battery for the entire time. According to the university, the bell has rung approximately 10 billion times. The mystery is: How has it lasted so long? And how on earth is it still going? This battery is what’s called a “dry pile,” which was one of the first types of electric batteries. Researchers would love to take it apart to see what makes it tick, but they know that doing so would almost certainly ruin its streak. The Guinness Book of World Records has already named it the “world’s most durable battery, and it doesn’t seem like it’s going to run out of steam anytime soon. According to one report, “on present form the clapper (on the bell) seems more likely to wear out than the electro-chemical energy to be exhausted.”
(University people talk like that…)
(A battery that lasts 175 years? That’s pretty much a lifetime guarantee…)
(And my kids can go through 3 sets of batteries before Christmas dinner!)
FOOD PACKAGING SCAM PHRASES:
➢ Contains Superfoods: There’s no official definition of the term “superfoods” from the FDA, so anybody can put that on their label. Merriam-Webster defines it as “a food (such as salmon, broccoli or blueberries) that is rich in compounds (such as antioxidants, fiber or fatty acids) considered beneficial to a person’s health.” (My kids consider Froot Loops to be a superfood…)
➢ Paleo and Keto Friendly: The problem is that this doesn’t necessarily mean the food is healthy, just that it fits the criteria of these diets. Paleo diets can cause an iodine deficiency, and keto diets can cause ketosis along with bad breath and constipation. (Well. THAT’S out!)
➢ Natural: The USDA has a definition of “natural” specifically for meat and poultry. But for most foods, “natural” isn’t defined. The definition is left up to the manufacturer. (Does this mean I could market a ‘natural’ hair color? Or breast implant?)
➢ Farm Fresh: Can mean whatever you want it to mean. It doesn’t mean a food is fresher than any other food. In fact, it may have nothing to do with freshness at all! (Although if you’ve ever driven past a farm, you know what ‘farm fresh’ SMELLS like!)
➢ Naturally Sweetened: Since the FDA hasn’t provided a definition of “natural,” that leaves “naturally sweetened” in a gray area. You might find it used when minimally processed sugars are used such as maple syrup or honey. You might also find it on products using fruit concentrates or sugar substitutes like stevia. It doesn’t mean that a food will be lower in calories.
➢ Made With Whole Grain: This could mean just a tiny bit of whole grain is present (same thing goes for “Made With Organic Wheat”). Instead, look for the 100% Whole Grain stamp.
➢ No Artificial Flavors: Don’t be swayed by just this phrase. You’ll still need to figure out is if the food contains other artificial ingredients, such as artificial colors, sweeteners and preservatives. Read the entire ingredient list so you get the full picture of what your food contains.
(And if you see ALL these phrases on a food item, be aware that it’ll either kill you or make you live forever!)
BS CHRONOMETER 05.31.18
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1930  Clint Eastwood, San Francisco CA, movie director (Oscars-”Million Dollar Baby”, “Unforgiven”)/movie actor (“Dirty Harry”, “The Bridges of Madison County”)
1960  Chris Elliott, New York City NY, movie actor (“Cabin Boy”, “There’s Something About Mary”)/TV actor, (“Schitt’s Creek” since 2015)
1961  Lea Thompson, Rochester, NY, movie actress (“Back To The Future”), TV actress (“Caroline In The City” 1995-2000)
1965  Brooke Shields, NYC, model/movie actress (“The Blue Lagoon”)/author (“Down Came the Rain”)/former TV actress (“Lipstick Jungle” 2008-09, “Suddenly Susan” 1996-2000)
1976  Colin Farrell, Dublin, Ireland, movie actor (“Total Recall”, “Horrible Bosses”)
1980  Andy Hurley, Menomonee Falls WI, rock drummer (Fall Out Boy–‘Thnks fr th Mmrs’, ‘I Don’t Care’)
1991  Farrah Abraham, Omaha, NE, reality star (“16 & Pregnant” , “Teen Mom”)
1996  Normani Hamilton, Atlanta GA, pop singer (Fifth Harmony-‘Work from Home’, “Dancing With The Stars”- Season 24)
TODAY’S REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Macaroon Day”, honoring those ooey-gooey coconut cookies that stick to your fillings.
• “Save Your Hearing Day”, something older people often advise younger people to do. But most don’t listen until they reach the point when they can’t.
• “Speak in Complete Sentences Day”, a good excuse to bring up our pet peeve about newscasters who write sentences without active verbs, ie: “Police searching for suspects in a kidnapping today.” NOT a complete sentence (ha!)
• “World No-Tobacco Day”, as declared by the UN’s World Health Organization to encourage people to kick their butts.
• “World Smile Day”, there is so much a smile can do. Just one smile can brighten someone’s day. It can also improve your day. Smiles are infectious. A healthy smile can develop confidence and generate a new outlook on the world. (It can also make others wonder what the heck you are up to!)
COMING UP . . .
[Fri] Dare Day
[Fri] Dinosaur Day
[Sat] Bubba Day
[Sat] Rocky Road Day
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1990  “Seinfeld” starring Jerry Seinfeld, debuts on NBC as “Seinfeld Chronicles”
2000  “Survivor” TV reality series debuts as a 3-month Summer show on CBS-TV (Richard, Rudy, Susan, Sean, Colleen, Kelly, Greg, and Gervase quickly become household names) Still going. (Strong?)
2017  Comedienne Kathy Griffin is fired from CNN after photo of her holding bloody head resembling Donald Trump is posted on her social media accounts
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2014  Michael Jackson becomes the first artist with Top 10 hits in five consecutive decades on the Hot 100 as ‘Love Never Felt So Good’ reaches #9
2014  A Maserati car and an unspecified amount of jewelry are taken in a burglary at Miley Cyrus’ home in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1976  Guinness Record ‘Loudest Concert’ as The Who put out a total of 76,000 watts of power at 126 decibels (no wonder it’s “Save Your Hearing Day”). Guinness no longer certifies this record.
BS WACK FACTS:
✓ School buses are yellow because you see yellow faster than any other color, 1.24 times faster than red, in fact.
✓ Potato chips were invented after a chef lost his temper with a customer who kept asking for his potatoes to be more fried and thinner.
✓ The phrase, “Happy wife, happy life,” is scientifically proven; husbands who have happy wives are more satisfied with their lives.
✓ If you’re feeling nervous, start chewing gum, your brain will reason that you’re not in danger because you would not be eating if you were.
✓ “Beats” by Dre headphones, which can sell for as much as $450, only cost about $14 to produce.
✓ The odds of you existing are the same as 2 million people rolling trillion-sided dice and all landing on the same number.
BS ACTIVITIES TO AVOID WHILE ON PROBATION:
• Hanging out with Snoop Dogg.
• Roping your probation officer into a Ponzi scheme.
• Probably most activities that involve binoculars.
• Sawing off the ankle bracelet.
• Anything that involves the phrase: “Me luv u long time”
• Anything you were going to do following the phrase: “Hold my beer…”
• Don’t even break the 5 second rule…They watch everything.
• Going back to prison.
BS PHONE STARTER:
What is the wackiest or weirdest workout trend that you ever got into? Prancercise? Or worse?
BS RANDOM JOKE:
I haven’t sold one copy of my autobiography. Story of my life.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: Over half of us say we hate it when someone eats this with a fork. What?
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Don’t stop when you are tired. Stop when you are done.