Nuthin’ Like a Bull in Your Radio Shop!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Word has it “Big Hero 6” could take in $60 million at the box-office this weekend to beat the much-ballyhooed sci-fi epic “Interstellar”. Disney has kept its latest animated adventure under lock-and-key for some time. And now we know why. The action-packed big-budget movie appears to be the studio’s secret weapon for 2014 and critics have begun fawning over it ahead of its release on Friday. It tells the story of a robotics prodigy called ‘Hiro Hamanda’, a name that will likely become a household word by this time next week.
★ “The Hobbit” films star Benedict Cumberbatch is engaged. The Brit actor is set to tie the knot with girlfriend Sophie Hunter, but a date for the big event is yet to be announced. Intriguingly, news of the engagement comes via the ‘Births, Marriages & Deaths’ section in a London newspaper. 38-year-old Cumberbatch was first romantically linked with 36-year-old theater director Hunter in June when they were spotted watching tennis together at the French Open.
– “The Times”
★ Robert Downey Jr’s wife Susan has given birth to a baby girl. The newborn – who’s yet to be named – adds to the couple’s brood of 2-and-a-half-year-old son Exton, as well as Robert’s son Indio (21) from a previous marriage. Downey, who married producer Susan Levin in 2005, says he’s excited about becoming a father for the 3rd time and having a sister for Exton, but the 49-year-old admits he’s a bit nervous about raising his first daughter.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Conan” (TBS/CTV) – Flaming Lips (“With a Little Help from My Fwends”).
• “Ellen DeGeneres Show” (syndicated/CTV2) – 5 Seconds of Summer (“5 Seconds of Summer”).
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/CityTV) – Cobra Starship f/Icona Pop (“Never Been in Love”).
• “Last Call With Carson Daly” (NBC) – Le Butcherettes (“Cry Is For the Flies”).
• “Late Night With Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV) – Hozier (“Hozier”).
• “Late Show With David Letterman” (CBS/Omni1) – Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin reissues); Mapei (“Hey Hey”).
• “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – Tove Lo (“Queen Of the Clouds”).
• “The View” (ABC/CTV) – Reunited 1970s Brit band Culture Club.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Destiny’s Child – Kelly Rowland is a mother for the first time. The former Destiny’s Child singer and her manager-husband Tim Witherspoon are now parents to a baby boy they’ve named ‘Titan Jewell Witherspoon’.
• Ed Sheeran – The 23-year-old is launching his own record label after signing a deal with Warner Music. He says he already has ideas about who he wants to offer recording contracts to. Quote: “I’m looking at people like me, who came through the singer-songwriter scene.”
• Jennifer Lopez – Her $350,000-a-show, 72-date Las Vegas residency contract demands she gets 3 adjoining penthouse suites at Planet Hollywood, 3 white-suited butlers, an all-white dressing room, an indoor playground for her kids, and … fresh-baked apple pie every day.
• Miley Cyrus – She’s is reportedly dating Patrick Schwarzenegger. The “Wrecking Ball” hitmaker is said to be ‘casually’ romancing the 20-year-old son of Arnold Schwarzenegger, but insiders tell E! News they’re ‘not officially together’.
• Oasis – Michael Eavis hopes the Brit band will reunite at Glastonbury. The 78-year-old founder of the massive annual music festival says he’s in constant talks with brothers Noel & Liam Gallagher and would love them to reunite their former band for a headline slot.
• Stevie Wonder – He’s taking his seminal 1976 album “Songs In the Key of Life” on an 11-date arena tour, starting tonight in NYC. The trek runs through December 5th in Oakland CA.
• Taylor Swift – “1989” has sold nearly 1.3 million copies in its first week, making it the biggest album release in 12 years, according to Nielsen Soundscan. The sales are the highest for an album during a single week since 2002 when Eminem’s “The Eminem Show” sold 1.322 million.
• U2 – They’re scheduled to play a week-long residency on the “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” beginning November 17th.
• The Who – In Ken Sharp’s new book “Play On: Power Pop Heroes”, guitarist Pete Townshend reveals that he hated performing at the legendary Woodstock Festival (August 17, 1969) because all the ‘drugged up hippies’ failed to appreciate one of the band’s finest-ever shows.
A BS selection of movies in the making …
• “Idol’s Eye” – Production on this heist thriller, which was to star Robert De Niro, Robert Pattinson, and Rachel Weisz, has been shut down just days before filming was set to commence in Toronto and Chicago. The problem is apparently financing. The film was to be directed by French filmmaker Olivier Assayas.
• “The Maze Runner Chapter II: The Scorch Trials” – Actors Dylan O’Brien & Will Poulter are returning for this sequel that begins shooting later this month in New Mexico. Barry Pepper (“True Grit”) & Lili Taylor (“The Conjuring”) are also joining the cast. Director Wes Ball is back for the follow-up feature, which is due on screens September 2015.
• “Minions” – The vocabulary-challenged creatures from the “Despicable Me” movies are getting their own film, waddling into theaters July 10, 2015. The spinoff introduces ‘Kevin’, ‘Stuart’, and ‘Bob’, 3 minions who go in search of an evil mastermind to work for after they accidentally kill all of their previous bosses. Sandra Bullock, Jon Hamm, and Steve Carell provide voices.
• “Secret In Their Eyes” – Nicole Kidman is in talks to replace Gwyneth Paltrow in this English-language remake of an Argentine thriller. If a deal comes together, it would pair Kidman with Julia Roberts for the first time, alongside Chiwetel Ejiofor (“12 Years a Slave”). The original Spanish-language movie won the Oscar for ‘Best Foreign-Language Film’ in 2010.
• “The Sinaloa Cartel’s 90-Year-Old Drug Mule” – This real-life story, based on a “New York Times Magazine” article, follows an award-winning horticulturist who secretly works as a drug courier for a Mexico-based cartel. After transporting thousands of kilos of cocaine to Detroit-area dealers, he was arrested in 2011. The catch? He was 87-year’s-old at the time.
HIGHEST-PAID WOMEN IN THE MUSIC BIZ 2014:
A new ranking based on pre-tax income for 12 months …
1. Beyoncé … $115 million.
2. Taylor Swift … $64 million.
3. Pink! … $52 million.
4. Rihanna … $48 million.
5. Katy Perry … $40 million.
TOP-EARNING PERSONALITIES IN SHOW BIZ 2014:
Based on estimated total income over the past year …
1. [tie] Simon Cowell / Howard Stern … $95 million.
2. Glenn Beck … $90 million, thanks in part to a lucrative public speaking tour.
3. Oprah Winfrey … $82 million.
4. Phil McGraw … $77 million.
5. Ellen DeGeneres … $70 million.
– “Forbes Magazine”
CRASH DIETS MAY BE GOOD:
New research seems to turn accepted dieting wisdom on its head. The idea that losing weight slowly is better for you than quick weight-loss is an old wives’ tale, according to an obesity expert at University College London. Weight-loss, even if not maintained, can benefit the heart he says. A new Australian study shows you’re likely to regain the weight you lose no matter which method you use, and there is little difference in how quickly that happens. There’s also no evidence that crash dieting or ‘yo-yo’ dieting puts strain on your heart says Michael Mosley, author of “The Fast Diet”. That’s only likely to be a problem, he claims, if you go on a diet without protein. That causes your body to cannibalize your muscles, and the heart is a muscle. (It always comes down to the same old thing … eat healthy and get some flippin’ exercise.)
REAL BUT REALLY STRANGE WARNING SIGNS:
An assortment of honest-to-goodness signs and warning labels to amuse and confound …
• Theft warning in church: “Articles of Value Should Not Be Left on Seats While Receiving Holy Communion.”
• On a drycleaner’s coat hanger: “Caution: Do Not Swallow.”
• Warning on packaging for a letter opener: “Safety Goggles Recommended.”
• Sign on a Chipotle restaurant supply truck: “Notice: Drivers Do Not Carry Burritos.”
• On a takeout coffee cup: “Caution: Hot! Avoid Pouring on Crotch Area.”
• Sign on a public swimming pool: “No Swimming If You Can’t Swim.”
• On a dog’s prescription bottle: “Use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery.”
• On a kids’ clothing tag: “Remove child before washing.”
• Warning label on a pair of jeans: “Zip With Caution! This zipper may harm your penis.”
– Condensed from Neatorama.com
GOING GAGA FOR FAME:
24-year-old Laura Cornet, a recent graduate from Design Academy Eindhoven in Holland, has invented a line of toys that enable infants to snap selfies and post them on social media. There are 4 separate devices in her ‘New Born Fame’ invention: a camera encased in a half-moon that snaps selfies when moved; a mobile with plush Facebook and Twitter logos that takes a video of the baby in its crib; a pacifier that transmits a GPS signal; and shoes that track movement and automatically post material to social media. While the invention is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, Cornet hopes it will cause parents to pause a moment and think about how much baby information they want to share with the rest of the world. Quote: “It’s about whether you have the rights to make that decision for a baby.” (How long before some company starts marketing the rare new product … ‘privacy’?)
BS AMAZING FACT:
Thailand forces government workers, teachers, and many others to retire at age 60.
BS CHRONOMETER 11.06.14
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1946  Sally Field (Mahoney), Pasadena CA, movie actress (“The Amazing Spider-Man” films, “Lincoln”)/TV actress (“Brothers & Sisters” 2006-11)
1948  Glen Frey, Detroit MI, classic rock musician (“The Heat is On”, The Eagles-“Hotel California”)
1970  Ethan Hawke, Austin TX, movie actor (“Before Midnight”, “Training Day”)
1972  Rebbeca Romijn (‘Romaine’ like the lettuce), Berkeley CA, movie actress (“X-Men” movies)/TV actress (“Eastwick” 2009-10, “Ugly Betty” 2006-08)/fashion model (“Vogue”)
1972  Thandie Newton, London UK, movie actress (“2012”, “W”)/TV actress (“ER” 2003-09)
1988  Emma Stone, Scottsdale AZ, movie actress (“The Amazing Spider-Man” films, “The Help”)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Beaver Moon” (5:23 pm EST), the Full Moon of November which gets its name from olden days when it was time to set beaver traps before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm Winter furs. Also called the “Frosty Moon”.
• “Halfway Point of Autumn”, with 45 days elapsed and 45 more remaining until the Winter Solstice on December 21st. (Or 33 more leaf rakings.)
• “International End Gossip Day”. Yeah, like that’s ever gonna happen.
• “International Day for Preventing the Exploitation Of the Environment in War & Armed Conflict”, a UN observance since 2001. (Kill people, not flowers!)
• “Men Make Dinner Day”, the 1 guaranteed meal cooked by the man-of-the-house each year. Sure millions of guys make dinner for their families on a regular basis, but this day is for the last remaining neanderthal homes where they don’t … and for guys who are just too scared to cook.
• “Saxophone Day”, commemorating the 1814 birth of Belgium’s Adolphe Sax, inventor of the musical instrument named for him. Sax became wealthy inventing numerous musical instruments, but died in poverty in Paris in 1894.
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2001  Keifer Sutherland’s hit TV series “24” debuts (FOX)
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENT . . .
2005  Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons musical “Jersey Boys” opens on Broadway to rave reviews
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
2012  Tammy Baldwin becomes the 1st openly gay politician to be elected to the US Senate (D-Wisconsin).
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1993  ‘Largest ‘PB & J Sandwich’ is made in Peanut, Pennsylvania (40-feet-long with 150 lbs of peanut butter & 50 lbs of grape jelly)
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Fri] “Big Hero 6”; “Interstellar” open in movie theaters
[Fri] Fun Fun Fun Fest begins (Austin TX)
[Fri] Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day
[Sat] Abet & Aid Punsters Day
[Sat] Cook Something Bold & Pungent Day
[Sat] Parents As Teachers Day
[Sun] MTV European Music Awards (Glasgow, Scotland)
[Sun] World Freedom Day
This Week Is … International Fraud Awareness Week
This Month Is … Historic Bridge Awareness Month
MEN SHARE THE BIGGEST PIECE OF DATING ADVICE THEY WILL GIVE THEIR SONS:
• “They’re just as nervous as you are!”
• “Asking girls why they don’t like you doesn’t make them like you.”
• “Don’t be afraid to genuinely express how you feel.”
• “No relationship will ever be perfect. So just find someone whose weirdness matches yours, because that’s close enough.”
• “If you like someone, then just ask them out. The worst they can say is no.”
• “Find someone who makes you laugh, and who also finds you funny. Sometimes even for no reason.”
• “Don’t spend your life looking for the right person. Make yourself the right person for you.”
• “Don’t be ‘that guy’.”
• “Don’t spend the whole date talking. Ask questions. And bloody listen!”
• “Don’t be a dick.”
– Adapted from BuzzFeed.com
BS PHONE STARTER:
☎ If teleportation were real and you could live anywhere in the world and still get to work on time, where would you live?
BS U-PICK TRIVIA:
The name of the dog breed ‘Corgi’ is actually a Welsh word meaning what?
a. Dwarf Dog. [CORRECT]
b. Yappy Mutt.
c. Ankle Biter.
Sourced from BuzzFeed.com
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Know how to prevent sagging? Just eat until the wrinkles fill out.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: After you get married, there’s about a 10% chance that THIS will happen.
Answer: Your mother or mother-in-law will move in with you.
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
There are no new sins … the old ones just get more publicity.