You Really Know Your Sheet!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
“Girls Gone Wild” creator Joe Francis has lost a lawsuit claiming Las Vegas mogul Steve Wynn threatened to kill him over a gambling debt and has been slapped with a $12-million fine plus punitive damages (ouch, and they’re yet to be decided) . . . LAPD has launched an investigation into allegations Miley Cyrus & fiancé Liam Hemsworth were caught up in an altercation with an unnamed man at a Hollywood nightclub early Sunday, culminating in Miley pushing the partygoer and striking him in the face (a rep for Cyrus says her client ‘did nothing wrong’, meaning – she has a lawyer on retainer) . . . “Star Magazine” reports Justin Timberlake & Jessica Biel are set to wed in a $5-million ceremony in Italy this October, a wedding planner claiming the nuptials will take place at the 19th-century Palazzo Margherita hotel (word has it the couple will also spring for private jets and 5-star hotels for all guests) . . . The remaining pieces of the “American Idol” jigsaw puzzle are seemingly being put into place as Simon Cowell has tweeted that his former show is returning Randy Jackson to the judging panel, despite recent rumors he’d only serve as a mentor (still no word on Nicki Minaj, Keith Urban) . . . 48-year-old movie star Brad Pitt tells BBC actors can no longer expect to earn multi-million-dollar salaries because Hollywood just doesn’t have cash to splurge due to the economic turndown (he & his partner still managed to haul down $45 million in the past year) . . . And “Twilight Saga” acting couple Robert Pattinson & Kristen Stewart have secretly gotten back together, according to LaineyGossip.com, purportedly keeping it on the Q-T because he’s worried about some kind of crazy backlash from fans (is he being kind and forgiving … or just wimpy?).
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “America’s Got Talent” (NBC/CityTV) – 6 acts perform for the final time.
• “Conan” (TBS/CTV) – The Hives (“Lex Hives”). Rerun.
• “Ellen DeGeneres Show” (syndicated/CTV2) – Dave Matthews Band (“Away From the World”).
• “George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight” (CBC) – Jordan Knight (NKOTB)/Lionel Richie (“Tuskegee”).
• “Good Morning America” (ABC) – Kix Brooks performs the title-track from his new album “New To This Town”.
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/CHCH) – Slightly Stoopid (“Top Of the World”).
• “Last Call With Carson Daly” (NBC) – Wallpaper. (“F—ing Best Song Ever”).
• “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – Florence & The Machine (“Ceremonials”).
• “Late Show With David Letterman” (CBS/NTV/Omni1) – Hacienda (“Hacienda Brothers”). Rerun.
• “Tonight Show With Jay Leno” (NBC/CTV2) – Regina Spektor (“What We Saw From the Cheap Seats”). Rerun.
• “The Voice” (NBC/CTV) – A 3rd consecutive night of team selections by the coaches.
• “The X Factor” (FOX/CTV) – Simon Cowell’s retooled talent contest returns for its 2nd season with Britney Spears and Demi Lovato joining LA Reid on the judging panel.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Carly Rae Jepsen – She’s revealed that as recently as 2 years ago she was touring in a minivan and paying her back-up band with home-cooked meals because that’s all she could afford. After shows, she says, she rushed to her merchandising table to sell shirts.
• Cee Lo Green – He’s developing a new show with NBC, home to his current TV gig “The Voice”. According to “Hollywood Reporter”, his production company is working on a potential sitcom based on his life.
• Green Day – They’ve announced a run of tour dates in support of their upcoming trilogy of albums “¡Uno!”, “¡Dos!”, and “¡Tre!”.The tour officially kicks off November 26th in Seattle WA.
• Katy Perry – She & on-again boyfriend John Mayer have been spotted partying at Las Vegas strip club Spearmint Rhino. A source tells “People” they were together with a group who had so much fun, they stayed until 5 am.
• Lady Antebellum – They’ve announced they’re releasing the holiday music album “On This Winter’s Night” on October 22nd. It will feature 11 seasonal classics plus the title track written by the band.
• Lady Gaga – She hopes to marry actor Taylor Kinney (“Chicago Fire”, “Vampire Diaries”) in Italy and will be checking out potential wedding venues in Venice with members of his family next month, according to Britain’s “The Sun”.
• Metric – Tonight in Rochester NY, they begin a North American Fall tour in support of their latest album “Synthetica”.
• No Doubt – As they prepare to celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary (Friday), Gwen Stefani tells “Marie Claire” magazine her marriage to Gavin Rossdale is ‘a miracle’ and her ‘biggest accomplishment’.
• One Direction – 20-year-old “X Factor” judge Demi Lovato has put to bed any notion she & Niall Horan are dating, insisting they’ve shared several casual dinners together only because they are good buds.
• The Walkmen – A North American tour in support of the new album “Heaven” starts tonight in Los Angeles CA.
SEALED WITH A FIST:
The new best-seller “No Easy Day” by Mark Owen (pseudonym) tells the behind-the-scenes story of the hit on Osama bin Laden by SEAL Team 6. A few facts about the SEALs …
• SEAL recruits get a total of 4-hours sleep during their grueling 132-hour initiation ‘Hell Week’.
• Only about 25% of trainees make it through training to become SEALs.
• A SEAL has never been left behind on a mission.
• A SEAL has never been taken prisoner.
• There are currently about 2,290 active-duty SEALs.
– Condensed from TheToiletPaper.com
Castle Vale Performing Arts College in Birmingham, England seemingly likes to play things by the rules. Students have been told their bags will be searched to ensure mobile phones are switched off and that they have the required number of pens & pencils. They’re also banned from talking in the classroom and must communicate with teachers via hand-signals. And this year students are also being issued a ‘tinkle card’ once a week to use as a bathroom pass. They have to surrender the card when used, and unused cards are collected on Friday and re-issued on Monday. (This is supposed to be a performing arts school, where students are encouraged to open up and be creative?)
New terms leaking into our lingo …
✓ ‘Fat Finger Trade’ – An erroneous or inadvertent market trade caused by a typo on an electronic device. (“I fat fingered the ‘0’ on my iPad and set off a buying frenzy on Facebook shares.”)
✓ ‘Murder-Cam’ – A hi-tech new device that can take a 3-D image of a crime scene in just 10 minutes, saving hours of crucial time after a murder has taken place. The bad news is, each camera costs over $225,000. (The good news is, “CSI” is now over in half-an-hour.)
✓ ‘Twitchfork’ – An angry or aggressive protest on Twitter, particularly one seeking justice or vengeance. Observers say advertisers are increasingly taking care to avoid ads that project racial stereotypes as they can quickly generate angry Twitter mobs wielding twitchforks.
ALL DOLLED UP:
Love Barbie? Love cruise ships? You’re really going to love this: The Royal Caribbean Barbie Premium Experience, an all-pink, all-Barbie extravaganza at sea, featuring such amenities as the Barbie Stateroom, a Mermaid Dance Class, and (of course!) a Barbie Fashion Show. For the average human, this is probably too much pink and certainly too much Barbie. But for a certain kind of little girl (or grown-up little girl), Royal Caribbean has just created a real-life version of heaven. (No worry about losing your limbs … no boys allowed!)
FROM THE BS POLL VAULT:
A statistical look at who we are and the things we do …
• 87% of women cannot whistle.
• 85% of school kids went back-to-school with a new haircut.
• 77% of women say an earring looks bad on a man over 30.
• 54% of mall workers have shopped at a rival store while on-the-job.
• 34% of failed marriages are due to one partner not pulling their weight around the house.
• 3% of teachers have dated a student’s parent.
CANINE NO-TELL MOTEL:
You know what a love hotel is … heart-shaped beds, dimmed lighting, mood music. Now the same accommodations will be available for your pup, assuming you’re visiting Brazil. This week Fabiano Lourdes and his sister Daniela plan to inaugurate Animalle Mundo Pet, an 8-story pet hotel in the southeastern city of Belo Horizonte with an entire floor devoted to … dog trysts. Dog owners will pay $50-a-day for a room, which comes complete with a heart-shaped mirror on the ceiling, red cushions on the floor, and dimmed lighting. (Like dogs need to be in the mood … all they need is your leg.)
– Agence France-Presse
A selection of celebs who admit they love videogames …
• Rosario-Dawson – She’s such a fan she’s attended Comic-Con events in full masked costume so she goes unnoticed. She has also voiced a character in “Syndicate”.
• Megan Fox – She says she’ll play anything “Mortal Kombat”, claiming the game works well with her brain. Is that an endorsement?
• Mila Kunis – She’s admitted she’s not only the biggest “World of Warcraft” fan, but also addicted to “Call of Duty”.
• Seth Rogen –The PlayChoice-10 in his house, which is like a stand-up Nintendo arcade machine, has 10 classic games like “Contra”, “Double Dribble” and the original “Mario Bros”.
• Jessica Alba – She admits her Wii has helped her maintain her killer body. She says she prefers ‘getting up off the couch’ rather than just sitting there playing a videogame for hours.
• Daniel Craig – The ‘James Bond’ actor has a fondness for the “Halo” franchise because it involves shooting aliens. His passion helped fuel his split with a previous girlfriend.
• Kim Kardashian – The reality star loves to play “Call of Duty”, especially with younger brother Robert Kardashian. Her favorite version: “Call of Duty: Black Ops II”.
• Andy Murray – Even this Brit tennis star is a gamer in his spare time. It’s reported he was dumped by former girlfriend Kim Sears for playing too much “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2”.
BS AMAZING FACT:
As strange as it might seem today, less than 100 years ago the colors pink and blue had very different gender connotation. In 1918, the “Ladies’ Home Journal” reported that pink, being a stronger color, is more suitable for the boy; while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.
BS CHRONOMETER 09.12.12
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1931  George Jones, Saratoga TX, country music legend (“He Stopped Lovin’ Her Today”)/Grammy Hall of Fame Award (1998)/Country Music Hall of Fame (1992)
1952  Neil Peart, Hamilton ON, rock drummer (Rush-“One Little Victory”, “Test for Echo”)
1967  Louis CK (Szekely), Washington DC, stand-up comedian (“WORD: Live at Carnegie Hall”)/TV actor (“Louie” since 2010)
1967  Jason Statham, Shirebrook UK, movie actor (“The Expendables” movies, “The Transporter” films)
1973  Paul Walker, Glendale CA, movie actor (“Fast & Furious” movies, “Flags of Our Fathers”) UPCOMING: “Fast Six” (2013).
1974  Jennifer Nettles, Douglas GA, country singer (Sugarland-“Stuck Like Glue”, “It Happens”)
1981  Jennifer Hudson, Chicago IL, movie actress (“Sex & the City: The Movie”, Oscar-“Dreamgirls”)/pop singer (“American Idol 3” finalist)
BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Chocolate Milkshake Day”. The original recipe, which appeared in a British newspaper in 1885, called for a shot of whiskey.
• “Videogames Day”, a day for kids who love ‘em to celebrate and to thank the parents who fork out the cash for an Xbox, PlayStation, or Wii.
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1997  Michael Jackson tells “20/20’s” Barbara Walters that he’s not a ‘wacko’ and that name-calling by the tabloids hurts his feelings
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENT . . .
2007  Led Zeppelin announces plans for what will probably prove to be the band’s last gig, a performance at London’s O2 Arena to honor Atlantic co-founder Ahmet Ertegun BS FACTOID: They began a mysterious countdown on their Facebook page over the weekend, starting at ‘5’. It’s unknown what they’ll reveal tomorrow when it reaches ‘0’, but “The Guardian” claims it will be the announcement of a new DVD of the 2007 reunion concert.
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
1994  Mosaic Communications introduces ‘Netscape’, the 1st Internet browser (now evolved into Mosaic’s ‘Firefox’)
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1983  Albert Rizzo of Malta sets ‘World Treading Water Record’ at 108 hours, 9 minutes in
the ocean (that’s 4.5 days!)
COMING UP . . .
[Thurs] Fortune Cookie Day
[Thurs] Positive Thinking Day
[Thurs] Kids Take Over the Kitchen Day
[Thurs] Peanut Day
[Fri] “Finding Nemo 3-D”; “Resident Evil: Retribution” open in movie theaters
[Fri] Comic Con begins (Montréal)
[Sat] Responsible Dog Ownership Day
This Week Is … Line Dance Week
This Month Is … Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Month
BS BENEFITS OF GROWING OLDER:
✓ You can eat dinner at 4:00.
✓ People no longer view you as a hypochondriac.
✓ Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can’t remember them either.
✓ Your supply of brain cells is finally down to a manageable size.
✓ Your eyes won’t get much worse.
✓ Things you buy now won’t wear out.
✓ Your joints are more accurate than the weather forecast.
✓ You can sing along with elevator music.
✓ You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.
✓ You can have a party and the neighbors won’t even realize it.
BS RANDOM JOKE:
He’s joined ‘Alcoholics Alias’, a group in which you continue to drink … but under an assumed name.
BS PHONE STARTER:
☎ What was the most valuable piece of advice a teacher ever gave you?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: By the time a woman reaches age 45 she has done this 61 times on average.
Answer: Tried different methods of weight-loss.
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
An open mind doesn’t always require an open mouth.