Tuesday, October 11, 2016 – Edition: #5826
Here’s More Bull Roar!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Today “Bridget Jones’s Baby: The Diaries” is published which follows the story of ‘Bridget’ becoming a first time mother and trying to figure out who her baby’s father is. Author Helen Fielding’s first novel, “Bridget Jones Diary”, was published in 1996 and became an international best-seller. It was followed by sequel “Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason” in 1999. The most recent instalment, “Mad About the Boy”, was released in 2013. The movie version of “Bridget Jones’s Baby” hit theaters in September, with Renée Zellweger reprising the title role.
★ “Finding Dory” has become the 5th-highest-grossing animated film in cinema history after hitting the $1 billion mark. The sequel to 2003’s “Finding Nemo”, starring Ellen Degeneres as forgetful ‘Dory’, had the 2nd-biggest June opening of all-time earlier this year. It has since raked in $485 million in North America, making it the highest-grossing domestic release of 2016 to date, plus an additional $517 million internationally. “Finding Dory’s” impressive haul makes it Pixar’s 2nd billion-dollar animated film, following in the footsteps of “Toy Story 3” in 2010.
★ “Furious 7” actor Tyrese Gibson is returning to TV with a recurring role in Lee Daniels’ new series “Star”. He’ll have a recurring role as ‘Pastor Bobby Harris’ in the musical drama, in which his character strikes up a relationship with Queen Latifah’s ‘Carlotta’. The series centers on 3 singers trying to find fame in Atlanta GA. The cast also includes Benjamin Bratt and Nicholas Gonzalez; rocker Lenny Kravitz makes guest appearances. “Star” is slated to premiere later this year.
★ And actress Laura Prepon is stepping behind the camera to direct an upcoming episode of her hit Netflix series “Orange Is the New Black”. The former “That ’70s Show” actress portrays incarcerated ‘Alex Vause’ in the prison drama, and now she is preparing to call the shots for a Season 5 storyline. Prepon says she’s really excited about it as it’s something she’s wanted to do for a long time. The episode in which she takes on directing duties is scheduled to shoot in about a week from now.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “American Housewife” (ABC) – Series premiere of a family comedy narrated by ‘Katie’ (Jeannette Sousa), a strong-willed mother raising her flawed family in a ‘perfect’ town.
• “Chicago Fire” (NBC) – Season 5 debut.
• “Conan” (TBS/CTV) – Marlon Williams (“Marlon Williams”). Rerun.
• “Fresh Off the Boat” (ABC) – Season 3 debut.
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/CityTV) – CRX (“New Skin”, out October 28th).
• “Last Call With Carson Daly” (NBC) – Foals (“Holy Fire”).
• “Late Late Show With James Corden” (CBS/CTV) – Brian Fallon (“Painkillers”).
• “The Middle” (ABC) – Season 8 debut.
• “The Real O’Neals” (ABC) – Season 2 debut.
• “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – James Bay (“Chaos & The Calm”).
• “The Voice” (NBC/CTV2) – Mentors Joan Jett, Sammy Hagar, Bette Midler, and Charlie Puth; Battle Rounds continue.
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo) – Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong (“Revolution Radio”).
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Celine Dion – The 48-year-old says she has only kissed one man in her life, her late husband Réné Angelil, who died in January at age 73. The couple first met when Celine was just 12-years-old, then had a professional relationship until 1987 when they started dating.
• Lil Wayne – Today his memoir about his time in prison, “Gone Til November”, is scheduled to be released. Weezy originally announced the book early in 2012 and it was expected out that Fall. Among the reveals: he officiated a same-sex wedding while incarcerated at NYC’s Rikers Island in 2010; in prison Gatorade is ‘liquid gold’; and his prison visitors included Kanye West, P Diddy, and Drake … who showed up to admit he’d cheated with Wayne’s girlfriend.
• Luke Bryan – He tops today’s new ‘Billboard Top Country Albums’ chart with the EP “Farm Tour: Here’s To the Farmer”. “Forever Country”, the song released by a slew of singers in conjunction with the CMA’s 50th anniversary, is #1 on the ‘Billboard Hot Country Songs’ chart.
• Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – Tonight Macklemore and Barack Obama openly share their own experience with substance use as they discuss the scourge and stigma of addiction in the 1-hour MTV documentary “Prescription For Change: Ending America’s Opioid Crisis”.
• Snoop Dogg – He’s set to help Canadians get high after teaming up with Tweed, the country’s biggest legal cannabis producer. He launched his Leafs By Snoop line last November in Colorado and will expand it to begin Canadian Leafs By Snoop, a range of cannabis flowers and concentrates in 8 different strains.
• Solange Knowles – The 30-year-old sibling of Queen Bey has landed her first ever #1 on the ‘Billboard 200’ with her latest album release “A Seat At the Table”. She dropped her surprise 3rd album on September 30th. She’s also reached #17 on the UK chart.
• Tupac Shakur – A Bible he signed during his time in prison is expected to fetch $54,000 at auction. 2Pac autographed the inside of the cover with his name and inmate number while serving 9 months at Clinton Correctional Facility in NY in 1995.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
Coming out on DVD, Netflix, Google Play and/or other video providers …
• “Ghostbusters” ( PG-13 Action Comedy ): Following a ghost invasion of Manhattan, two paranormal enthusiasts, a nuclear engineer, and a subway worker band together to stop the otherworldly threat. Stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones. A reboot of the franchise that included “Ghostbusters” (1984) and “Ghostbusters II” (1989).
• “Ice Age: Collision Course” ( PG Animated Adventure ): In this 5th film in the franchise (total take $2.9 billion so far), ‘Manny’, ‘Diego’, and ‘Sid’ join up with ‘Buck’ to fend off a meteor strike that would destroy the world. Voice cast features Ray Romano, Denis Leary, John Leguizamo, Chris Wedge.
• “The Infiltrator” ( R-Rated Crime Thriller ): In this true-life take on the war against the Medellín cartel, Bryan Cranston (“Breaking Bad”) plays a US Customs official who uncovers a money laundering scheme involving Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar. Co-stars John Leguizamo, Diane Kruger, Amy Ryan. Director Brad Furman (“The Lincoln Lawyer”).
• “The Legend of Tarzan” ( PG-13 Action Adventure ): In the latest telling of the ‘Ape-man’ story, ‘Tarzan’, having acclimated to life in London, is called back to his former home in the jungle to investigate the activities at a mining encampment. Stars Alexander Skarsgård, Margot Robbie, Christoph Waltz.
• Also being released: “Adventure Time: The Complete 6th Season” (TV); “The Carol Burnett Show: The Lost Episodes – Classic Carol” (Vintage TV); “Feed the Beast: Season 1” (TV); “Gregory Peck Centennial Collection” (Movie Compilation); “Hillary’s America” (Documentary);
“Impractical Jokers: The Complete 4th Season” (TV); “Mike & Molly: The Complete 6th & Final Season” (TV); and “Sherpa” (Documentary).
BRITISH-TO-NORTH AMERICAN ENGLISH:
● Waistcoat … Vest
● Vest … Undershirt
● Rubber … Eraser
● Knock You Up … Wake You Up
● Pantechnicon … Moving Van
● Dual Carriageway … .Divided Highway
● Caravan … House Trailer
● Crisps … Potato Chips
● Chemist … Pharmacist
– Princess Cruises
FOODS THAT HAVE BEEN RENAMED:
• Aspartame – Due to persistent but unproven rumors that the sweetener discovered back in 1965 is linked to cancerous tumors, the company that manufactures the compound decided to rename it ‘AminoSweet’.
• Baby Carrots – In a new ad campaign, carrot farmers are promoting ‘The Original Orange Doodle’, touting carrots as a cool & crunchy snack, similar to cheese doodles. It’s likely the first attempt ever to rebrand veggies as junk food.
• Chinese Gooseberry – Importers in the 1960s decided that the import from New Zealand needed a makeover. They renamed it ‘kiwi fruit’ to honor the flightless national bird of New Zealand. Once the new name took hold, sales took off.
• Prunes – Prunes rank at the very top of the ‘Things That Are Closely Identified with Old People’ list, making them a tough sell to anyone else. Hence, California growers decided to rebrand the fruit as ‘dried plums’ in 2000.
• Rapeseed Oil – Obviously the word ‘rape’ does nothing to increase a product’s popularity so the cooking oil was renamed ‘Canola Oil’ in the 1970s. Canola isn’t a plant; there’s no such thing as a ‘canola’. It’s simply a contraction of it’s lab ID: ‘Canadian, oilseed, low-acid’.
BAD HABITS OF HOUSE-SITTERS:
Asked a neighbor/friend/relative to watch your home while you’re away? A new Brit survey has found some of the antics your trusted property watcher is most likely to get up to …
✓ Snooping through cabinets and drawers (67%).
✓ Neglecting chores (55%).
✓ Trying on clothes and/or shoes (37%).
✓ Inviting friends/partners over (34%).
✓ Opening the homeowner’s mail (21%).
✓ Driving the homeowner’s car/vehicle (17%).
✓ Drinking the homeowner’s alcoholic beverages (14%).
✓ Impersonating the homeowner (13%).
✓ Sleeping in the homeowner’s bed (10%).
✓ Using the homeowner’s toothbrush or other personal items (8%).
– Adapted from “Metro”
BS AMAZING CRITTER FACTS:
• Cod have regional accents.
– BBC News
• Pigeons can distinguish real words from nonsense.
• Male squirrels are lazy and females do all the work.
• When a giraffe is ready to give birth, she’ll often return to the place she was born to have her baby.
BS CHRONOMETER 10.11.16
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1961  Steve Young, Salt Lake City UT, NFL analyst (“ESPN Monday Night Football”)/former NFL QB (Super Bowl 29 MVP-San Francisco 49ers)/Pro Football Hall of Fame (2005)
1968  Jane Krakowski, Parsippany NJ, TV actress (“30 Rock” 2006-13, “Ally McBeal” 1997-2002)/Broadway actress (Tony Award-“Nine”, “Grand Hotel”)
1976  Emily Deschanel, LA CA, TV actress (‘Dr Temperance Brennan’ on “Bones” since 2005)/older sister of actress-singer Zooey Deschanel
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Coming Out Day”, a day to ‘announce your sexuality and be proud of it’, sponsored by the Human Rights Campaign to encourage gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people to ‘Talk About It’ with their families and friends.
• “Food Truck Day”, an annual celebration of street grub on wheels. Best-ever taste you got off a truck is …?
• “International Day Of the Girl”, the 5th annual observance by the UN to increase awareness of the inequality faced by girls worldwide based upon their gender. The gap affects access to education, nutrition, legal rights, medical care, and protection from violence.
• “Southern Food Heritage Day”, the official day to pull out your cast iron pans and start up the smoker to enjoy your favorite traditional dishes from America’s South. (Which is best? Catfish? Gumbo? Jambalaya? Pork jowls fried in possum fat?)
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2003  Justin Timberlake makes his 1st appearance on “Saturday Night Live”, doing double-duty as host and musical guest (returns many times afterward)
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2009  54-year-old Jo Wood, wife of Rolling Stones’ Ronnie Wood, is granted a divorce after 24 years of marriage on the grounds of adultery (the 64-year-old had begun a relationship with a 20-year-old woman)
2010  George Michael is released from Highpoint Prison in Suffolk, England after serving 4 weeks of a 2 month sentence for driving under the influence of drugs (he’d been arrested after crashing his car into the front of a Snappy Snaps store)
TODAY’S RECORDS . . .
2008  In Marseilles, France, Luc Costermans of Belgium sets a new world speed record for blind drivers at 192 mph (a human co-pilot and hi-tech navigational equipment keep him on the straight and narrow)
2009  Barbra Streisand hits #1 on the album chart with “Love Is the Answer”, making her the only artist to have a #1 album in 5 different decades
COMING UP . . .
[Wed] Kick Butt Day
[Wed] Spanish Language Day
[Wed] World Arthritis Day
[Thurs] Prince Tribute Concert (Minneapolis MN)
[Thurs] Face Your Fears Day
[Fri] “The Accountant”; “Underworld: Blood Wars” open in movie theaters
This Week Is … Food Bank Week
This Month Is … Bat Appreciation Month
BS SIGNS YOU ATE TOO MUCH ON CANADIAN THANKSGIVING:
✗ Dad had to use electric knife to carve you out of your pants.
✗ You’ve been sweating ham glaze ever since.
✗ You’re in Saskatoon, but your ass is in Manitoba.
✗ You’ve receive a personalized ‘Thank-you’ text from the president of Butterball.
✗ GPS units now tell local drivers “Turn left at the bloated guy.”
✗ You decide to take a little nap after dinner, you wake up in March.
BS SIGNS YOU SHOULD GET MORE SLEEP:
● You think those night classes you’ve been attending are actually morning classes.
● Your entire pre-noon vocabulary consists of “Uh?” and “Uh huh”.
● Your dresses don’t match your bags … around your eyes.
● You keep waking up face-down on a drool-filled tablet screen.
● You brushed your teeth with Preparation H and your cordless shaver’s in the toaster.
● Your alarm clock goes off BEFORE you go to bed.
● You once yawned and sucked in a Buick.
BS PHONE STARTER:
How has your dog embarrassed you?
BS WEB GOODIE:
It’s the ‘Trendy Hipster Bar Menu Generator’. You can use this handy tool to generate a name and menu for your new establishment … no imagination necessary!
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There’s nothing like having a midget for a butler.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: About half of us have a pair of THESE in a kitchen drawer.
Answer: Takeout chopsticks.
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
There’s nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.