Thanks For Being a Bull Market!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Tonight through September 7th ‘Hodor’ is going on a “Game of Thrones”-themed DJ tour Down Under. The actor who plays ‘Hodor’, Kristian Nairn, has worked regularly as a DJ for over a decade and during his new trek across Australia, touted as the “Rave of Thrones”, he says he’ll be playing some of the deepest house from all seven kingdoms. ‘Westeros’-style dress is required at all gigs as the tour rolls through Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne, Darwin, and Adelaide. Each night features ‘special guests’. Wait … is that ‘Lord Varys’?
★ Former “Full House” star John Stamos is spearheading a reboot of the popular sitcom which aired 1987-95. Reports suggest actresses Candace Cameron Bure, Jodie Sweetin, and Andrea Barber are all on board to return, while Bob Saget and Dave Coulier are also involved. No word on whether Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen, who doubled up as ‘Michelle Tanner’ on the show, will be part of the reboot. The cast has remained tight-knit since the show ended, and the program still earns solid ratings with nightly repeats on Nickelodeon.
★ “The Fault in Our Stars” actor Ansel Elgort has reportedly split from his longtime girlfriend Violetta Komyshan. His busy schedule is being blamed for the relationship’s demise. The 20-year-old actor has spent the past few months working on the sequel to “Divergent”. He met dancer Komyshan while attending NYC’s Fiorello LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts. She graduated earlier this year in the same class as Madonna’s daughter Lourdes.
– “Us Weekly”
★ And 52-year-old actress Meg Ryan has purchased an $8-million NYC loft after splitting from her musician-boyfriend John Mellencamp, ending a 3-year relationship. The “When Harry Met Sally” star, who has son Jack (22) with ex-husband Dennis Quaid, and adopted daughter Daisy (9), bought the apartment from “The Simpsons” voice actor Hank Azaria. Ryan quietly ended her relationship with Mellencamp last month, largely because he lives in relatively rural Bloomington, Indiana … and Meg’s a city girl.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Conan” (TBS/CTV) – Weird Al Yankovic (“Mandatory Fun”). Rerun.
• “Ellen DeGeneres Show” (syndicated/CTV2) – Dan + Shay (“Where It All Began”). Rerun.
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/CityTV) – Ed Sheeran performs “Don’t”.
• “Last Call With Carson Daly” (NBC) – Deap Vally (“Sistrionix”). Rerun.
• “Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson” (CBS) – Gloria Estefan (“The Standards”). Rerun.
• “Late Night With Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV2) – Chase Rice (“Ignite the Night”). Rerun.
• “Late Show With David Letterman” (CBS/Omni1) – John Fullbright (“Songs”).
• “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – Florida Georgia Line (“Here’s To the Good Times”). Rerun.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Justin Bieber – He was involved in a minor car accident on Tuesday. Seems Biebs was driving in West Hollywood when he spotted a paparazzo following him. He slammed on the brakes, causing the photographer’s Prius to collide with the rear end of his red Ferrari. Smart move!
• Kate Bush – It’s been more than 3 decades since her last live tour, but Kate Bush mania appears to be sweeping the UK once again. 11 of her albums dating all the way back to 1978 are set to break into Britain’s top 100, according to the Official Charts Company.
• Kings of Leon – They’ve had to cancel 2 more “Mechanical Bull Tour” gigs to allow drummer Nathan Followill time to recover from broken ribs suffered in a bus accident earlier this month. Axed are tonight’s concert in Holmdel NJ and tomorrow’s in Pittsburgh PA.
• The Kinks – Ray Davies’ planned 50th anniversary reunion may go ahead without his former bandmate and brother Dave. The feuding siblings met recently to discuss the project but Dave has yet to commit … at least according to Ray. Dave claims the entire reunion idea was his.
• Neil Young – He and his wife of 36 years, Pegi Young, have separated. Divorce papers were filed at the end of July by Neil in California and a hearing is set for the middle of December, according to “Rolling Stone”.
• Miley Cyrus – Turns out the homeless guy she took to the MTV Video Music Awards is a wanted man. Jesse Helt is being sought by Oregon police for probation violation. Cyrus caused a stir Sunday when she allowed Helt to accept the award for ‘Video Of the Year’ on her behalf.
• Sam Smith – The 22-year-old says he feels less alone since releasing his debut album, “In the Lonely Hour”. Quote: “The album … has definitely attracted other people who wear their hearts on their sleeves. It’s nice. I don’t feel so alone in my sadness anymore.”
A BS selection of movies in the making …
• Richard Pryor bio-film – Oprah Winfrey is being tapped to play Richard Pryor’s grandmother in the upcoming biopic about the legendary comedian. She’s playing Marie Carter, who ran the brothel where the comic grew up and where his mother worked as a prostitute. Winfrey is re-teaming with director Lee Daniels (“The Butler”) for the project. Actor Mike Epps plays Pryor.
• “A Thousand Pounds of Dynamite” – Actor Bradley Cooper is collaborating with filmmaker Todd Phillips to produce a film about a real-life incident in which a bomb was placed underneath a Nevada casino in 1980 in an attempt to extort $3 million. A California landscaper was found guilty of executing the plot and sentenced to life in prison. He died of cancer in 1996.
• Untitled Blade Runner Project – 76-year-old director Ridley Scott has revealed the script for his ‘Blade Runner’ sequel is complete. What’s more, reports suggest the new film will feature Harrison Ford, who starred in the original 1982 sci-fi movie. It’s unclear whether the 72-year-old actor will be asked to reprise the role he played in the original film or simply feature in a cameo.
• “Vacation” – Ed Helms & Christina Applegate are set to star in this reboot of the 1980s National Lampoon franchise that starred Chevy Chase. The new version of the ‘Griswolds’ vacation hijinks will follow their grown-up son, who has his own family misadventures on the road. Also joining the cast: Chris Hemsworth (“Thor”) and Charlie Day (“Horrible Bosses”).
• “Yoga Hosers” – Kevin Smith is now shooting this 2nd film in his new trilogy set in rural Canada. It’s a loose sequel to “Tusk” (debuting at Toronto Film Festival next month) and features some of the same characters, including 2 young girls working in a convenience store, played by his daughter Harley Quinn Smith & Johnny Depp’s daughter Lily Rose Melody Depp.
HOW TO SNORT OFF POUNDS:
Could sniffing essential oils help you lose weight? Aromatherapist Eugeny Couture claims that inhaling certain scents every day can suppress the appetite. If you’re trying to trim your waistline, Eugeny recommends keeping a bottle of grapefruit oil handy so you can take 3-to-5 deep breathes of it at least 6 times a day to regulate appetite. A related recent study found that smelling olive oil makes people eat less. Of course, healthy eating and exercise remain crucial to any weight-loss program, Couture admits, but says harnessing the power of scent can reduce the hunger pangs that throw us off track and even result in dumping a diet completely. (What smell puts you off eating … Fishy fish? Used cooking oil? Pig farm?)
COMMON WORDS YOU’RE PROBABLY MISPRONOUNCING:
✗ ‘Banal’ – You’ll be the butt of the joke if you pronounce this ‘BAY-nul’. It’s correctly pronounced ‘buh-NAHL’.
✗ ‘Bowline’ – You’ll sound like a sailing rube if you pronounce the knot used to affix a boat to the dock a ‘bow line’ knot. It’s ‘bowlin’ (rhymes with rollin’). And they are called lines … not ropes.
✗ ‘Celtic’ – An initial hard ‘K’ sound is correct but linguists say an ‘S’ sound emerged as far back as the 17th century. You’ll sound ridiculous (even though correct) if you say Boston Keltics.
✗ ‘Comptroller’ – This word sounds just like ‘controller’. If you’re tempted to pronounce that silent ‘pt’, please comptroll yourself!
✗ ‘Forbade’ – The past tense of ‘forbid’ was originally supposed to be spelled and pronounced ‘for-bad’. But then people (incorrectly) started spelling it ‘forbade’ and rhyming it with ‘made’.
✗ ‘Niche’ – When this word was borrowed from French in the 17th century, it was quickly Anglicized to rhyme with ‘itch’. The true French pronunciation is ‘neesh’.
✗ ‘Seuss’ – As in Dr Seuss, the kids’ book author. You’re wrong as the deuce, and you shouldn’t rejoice; if you’re calling him Seuss, cuz he pronounced it ‘Soice’ (or ‘Zoice’).
– Condensed from MentalFloss.com
The iPhone may not be the only Apple product that’s getting bigger. The tech titan’s suppliers are gearing up to produce an iPad with a 12.9-inch display that would make it Apple’s largest tablet. It’s thought that production on the supersized tablet will begin in the first quarter of 2015. Sales of the iPad, which currently comes with either a 9.7-inch or a 7.9-inch screen, have cooled this year as consumers opt for smartphones with large displays as well as cheaper tablets from such Apple rivals as Samsung. Apple’s tablet market share fell to 36% last year compared to 53% in 2012. Making an iPad with a bigger screen could be a way to attract more business customers, still a largely untapped market for Apple. (Bet the price is bigger too.)
– Bloomberg News
BS AMAZING HEALTH FACTS:
• Bacteria in your gut might be dictating what you eat, because some crave sugar, others want fat.
– “The Atlantic”
• A bite from the lone star tick can make you allergic to red meat.
– FOX News
• Binge drinking is especially bad if you’re older.
– “Washington Post”
• Having an office window can help you sleep at night, lower your blood pressure, and keep you in a better mood.
BS SUBSCRIBER NOTE:
There will be no “Bull Sheet” edition for Monday, September 1st, the “Labor Day” holiday.
BS CHRONOMETER 08.28.14
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1962  David Fincher, Denver CO, movie director (“The Social Network”, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”) UP NEXT: The mystery-thriller “Gone Girl”, opening October 3rd.
1965  Shania Twain (Eilleen Edwards), Windsor ON, pop-country singer (“Party For Two”, “You’re Still The One”)/Las Vegas entertainer
1969  Jack Black, Hermosa Beach CA, movie actor (“Kung Fu Panda” movies, “School of Rock”)/sorta rock singer (Tenacious D)
1969  Jason Priestley, Vancouver BC, TV actor (“Call Me Fitz” since 2010, “Beverly Hills 90210 1990-2000)
1981  Jake Owen, Winter Haven FL, country singer (“Beachin'”, “Barefoot Blue Jean Night”)
1982  LeAnn Rimes, Pearl MS, country singer (“Something’s Gotta Give”, “How Do I Live”) who started singing at age 3 and has sold well over 20 million records
1986  Florence Welch, London UK, indie rock singer (Florence & The Machine-“Spectrum”, “You’ve Got the Love”)
1986  Armie Hammer, LA CA, movie actor (“J Edgar”, “The Social Network”) COMING UP: “The Man from UNCLE” in 2015.
2005  Alana Thompson, McIntyre GA, reality TV star (‘Honey Boo Boo’ on “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” 2012-14, “Toddlers and Tiaras” 2012-13)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Bow Tie Day”, saluting the look that involves ‘a ribbon of fabric tied around the collar in a symmetrical manner such that the 2 opposite ends form loops’. A modern bow tie is tied using a common shoelace knot. One of the latest to popularize the look: Justin Timberlake.
• “Cherry Turnover Day”, celebrating the yummy treat made with a little puff pastry, some cherries, some butter …. and a little more butter.
• “Crackers Over the Keyboard Day”, honoring the time-honored tradition of snacking and web surfing. What’s the worst thing you’ve spilled on your computer keyboard?
• “Radio Commercials Day”, commemorating the 1st-ever radio ad, broadcast on this date in 1922. Queensboro Realty received 10 minutes of air time on NYC station WEAF for $100. (In honor of the occasion, we’re airing a festival of our best commercials all day!)
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2003  During her performance at the 20th “MTV Video Music Awards”, Madonna infamously plants open-mouth kisses on both Britney Spears & Christina Aguilera
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENT . . .
1984  With over a million ticket sales in just 2 months, the Jacksons’ reunion tour, entitled “Victory”, becomes the most successful concert tour to date
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
2008  At the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver CO, Illinois senator Barack Obama officially accepts the party’s nomination to be its candidate for US president
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1994  18-year-old Tiger Woods becomes the youngest winner in the history of the United States Amateur Golf Championship
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Fri] International Bat Night
[Fri] International Day Against Nuclear Tests
[Fri] More Herbs, Less Salt Day
[Sat] Bacon Day
[Sat] Buffalo Chicken Wings Day
[Sat] Toasted Marshmallow Day
This Week Is … Safe at Home Week
This Month Is … Literacy Month
BS MENU MASH-UPS:
It’s been announced that Burger King and Canadian quick-serve chain Tim Hortons are merging to become the world’s 3rd-largest fast-food chain. Combined, they rake in $23 billion in annual revenues, with over 18,000 outlets in 100 countries. But will their menus merge as well? Our proposed Burger King-Tim Hortons menu mash-up …
✓ Spicy Big King Bits
✓ Angry Kids’ Meal
✓ Canadian Maple Dip Big Fish
✓ Mushroom Swiss Bacon Honey Cruller
✓ Tim’s Enormous Whopper
✓ Rodeo Pie Burger
✓ Triple Stacker Wrap Snackers
✓ Jalapeño Iced Latte
✓ Biggie Thighs
– BS original
BS WEB GOODIE:
An illicit dating website has created a line of greeting cards for cheating spouses to send to their lovers. Example: “Roses are red and violets are blue; good thing my wife doesn’t know I’m screwing you.” (Didn’t Shakespeare write that?)
BS RANDOM JOKE:
My new health club is so fancy, they have a spiral StairMaster.
BS PHONE STARTER:
☎ What’s a sure sign that Fall is on the way? Crickets chirping, frogs croaking, kids whining …
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: Doing THIS immediately improves a man’s mood.
Answer: Smelling bacon.
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.