Tuesday, December 13, 2016 – Edition: #5871
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ “Hacksaw Ridge”, “La La Land”, and “Moonlight” are competing for the top film prizes at the 2017 Golden Globe Awards. In the TV categories, dramas “The Crown”, “Game of Thrones”, “Stranger Things”, “This is Us”, and “Westworld” are nominees; while the TV comedy category is led by “Atlanta”, “Black-ish”, “Mozart In the Jungle”, “Transparent”, and “Veep”. The 74th Golden Globes, hosted by Jimmy Fallon, take place at LA’s Beverly Hilton Hotel on January 8th.
★ A Los Angeles radio station says former “Brady Bunch” star Susan Olsen (‘Cindy Brady’) has been fired after getting into an online confrontation with openly gay actor Leon Acord-Whiting. LA Talk Radio has announced that it will not tolerate hateful speech and that it has severed ties with the host. Acord-Whiting criticized Olsen on Twitter, co-host of “Two Chicks Talkin’ Politics”, after guesting on the show. Olsen replied with a tweet laced with profanity and offensive language.
– “Us Weekly”
★ And The latest “Fast & Furious” trailer – “The Fate Of the Furious” – has made its debut on Facebook, and it won’t disappoint fans. The 3-minute trailer starts off with a typical “Fast & Furious” car chase, but this one ends with a giant wrecking ball smashing into the cars pursuing the “Fast” gang. And that’s just the first of many surprises. The 8th installment of the franchise shows Vin Diesel’s character, ‘Dom’, has gone rogue. “The Fate Of the Furious” is due in movie theaters on April 14th.
– Postmedia Network
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Conan” (TBS/CTV) – The Naked and Famous (“Simple Forms”).
• “Ellen” (syndicated/CTV2) – Green Day (“Revolution Radio”).
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/CityTV) – Gucci Mane f/Travis Scott (“Last Time”).
• “Last Call With Carson Daly” (NBC) – !!! (“As If”). Rerun.
• “Late Night With Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV) – Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo sits in.
• “Late Show With Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global) – Miranda Lambert (“The Weight of These Wings”).
• “Live With Kelly” (syndicated/CTV) – Norah Jones (“Day Breaks”).
• “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – One Direction’s Niall Horan (“This Town”).
• “The Voice” (NBC/CTV2) – Viewer votes reveal the winner; performances by Bruno Mars, Sting, The Weeknd.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Drake – His “More Life” project has now been slated for a 2017 release. Originally the album, which features the tracks “Two Birds One Stone”, “Fake Love”, and “Sneakin’ Alongside”, was scheduled for release this month.
• Justin Bieber – The 22-year-old has reportedly been holding Bible study classes backstage during his “Purpose World Tour”.
• Keith Urban – He’s #1 on today’s new ‘Billboard Hot Country Songs’ chart for a 2nd week with “Blue Ain’t Your Color”.
• Mariah Carey – Despite finalizing the divorce earlier this year, she and her ex Nick Cannon are apparently spending Christmas together for the sake of their children, 5-year-old twins Monroe and Moroccan.
• Miranda Lambert – She remains atop today’s new ‘Billboard Top Country Albums’ chart with “The Weight of These Wings”.
• Mötley Crüe – Former bassist Nikki Sixx has decided to quit Facebook to ”get back to what is real”, writing lyrics and making music. Maybe more musicians should try this?
• Selena Gomez – The 24-year-old pop singer has signed a new $10-million deal to be ambassador for designer brand Coach. She’ll be the face of the label’s accessories line, plus design her own collection as a Coach offshoot.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
Coming out on DVD, Netflix, Google Play and/or other video providers …
• “Ben-Hur” ( PG-13 Adventure Drama ): The epic story of ‘Judah Ben-Hur’ (played by Jack Huston), a prince falsely accused of treason by his adopted brother, an officer in the Roman army. Co-stars Toby Kebbell, Rodrigo Santoro, Nazanin Boniadi. A remake of William Wyler’s Oscar-winning 1959 epic, a remake in and of itself.
• “Bridget Jones’s Baby” ( R-Rated Comedy ): Renée Zellweger & Colin Firth return for the 3rd installment in the series, which follows ‘Bridget’ as she’s 40-something and single again. But her love life takes a turn when she meets a dashing American named ‘Jack’ (Patrick Dempsey). Before long she’s pregnant, but can only be 50% sure of her baby daddy’s identity.
• “Florence Foster Jenkins” ( PG-13 Biographical Dramedy ): The story of Florence Foster Jenkins, a NYC heiress who dreamed of becoming an opera singer, despite having a terrible singing voice. One of the true cult figures from the early 20th century, she was so incredibly bad she became a sensation. Stars Meryl Streep, Hugh Grant, Simon Helberg, Rebecca Ferguson.
• “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” ( PG-13 Fantasy Adventure ): Director Tim Burton’s latest is the story of a young lad who discovers clues to a mystery that spans different worlds and times. As he gets to know the residents of a children’s home, he learns about their special powers. Stars Eva Green, Asa Butterfield, Samuel L Jackson, Judi Dench.
• “Suicide Squad” ( PG-13 Action Adventure ): In this DC Comics presentation, a secret government agency recruits imprisoned super-villains to execute dangerous black ops missions in exchange for clemency. Stars Will Smith (‘Deadshot’), Jared Leto (‘The Joker’). Co-stars Margot Robbie (‘Harley Quinn’), Viola Davis (‘Amanda Waller’). Shot in Toronto ON.
• Also being released: “Fear the Walking Dead: The Complete 2nd Season” (TV); “Harley & The Davidsons (Discovery Channel Miniseries); “Hellraiser: The Scarlet Box Limited Edition Trilogy” (Horror Compilation); and “Streets of Compton” (Documentary).
University of Illinois researchers have found that both male and female high school students who are rated more attractive than average tend to get better grades and land better-paying jobs after graduation than their peers. On average, women deemed as ‘attractive’ enjoy an 8% wage advantage over regular people, while women with ‘below-average looks’ pay a 4% penalty. ‘Good-looking’ men have a 4% salary edge over ‘nondescript’ co-workers, while ‘less-attractive’ men take a 13% penalty. (Who’s the shallow sadist ranking these people on looks?)
HEALTHY HABITS THAT AREN’T AS HEALTHY AS YOU’VE BEEN LED TO BELIEVE:
✗ Doing only one form of exercise. Cross-training is actually the best thing for your body.
✗ Packaged healthy foods. While better than candy, they don’t beat fresh, whole produce.
✗ Body ‘cleansing’. Eat right, exercise, and your body will take care of the toxins.
✗ Meal replacement shakes. Nothing can replace a healthy, well-balanced diet.
✗ Low-calorie food. Lo-cal doesn’t make it healthy. Styrofoam is low-calorie.
✗ Taking supplements. Unnecessary unless you’re positive you are deficient in something.
✗ Gluten-free food. Unless you’re gluten intolerant, gluten is actually quite healthy.
✗ Salads. Iceberg lettuce, dressing, and bacon defeat the purpose.
✗ Juice. Contains tons of sugar and is only slightly better than chugging vitamins with soda.
✗ Fat-free food. It’s almost always high in sugar.
– Condensed from List25.com
OPTIMISTIC WOMEN HEALTHIER IN THE LONG RUN:
Women who look on the bright side cut their risk of many deadly diseases. In a study of some 70,000 women, optimists have been found to be less likely to get fatal cancer, heart disease, lung conditions, and stroke in their retirement years. Although some of the association is explained by healthier life choices and behaviors, experts believe a positive mental attitude is powerful in itself. Higher optimism is linked with lower death risk, even after controlling for other factors. The researchers believe optimism may have a biological effect on the body as well as a psychological one. (If you’re happy and you know it, say ‘YASSSS!’)
– “The Huffington Post”
HOW TO BE MORE OPTIMISTIC:
Dr Eric Kim from the Harvard School of Public Health contends about 25% of optimism may be genetic, meaning fully 75% can be learned. He offers the following strategies …
✓ Think about what your ‘best possible self’ should look like for key areas of your life such as family, marriage, and career.
✓ Write down 3 things each day that you are grateful for. Try it for a week and see how you feel.
✓ Keep a log of any kind things you do for other people. Review it every week or two.
✓ Try a course of mindfulness or some sessions of talking therapy.
– Adapted from “Forbes”
LOVING FROM AFAR:
Do long-distance relationships ever work? Yes, according to a recent Queen’s University study. Researchers examined two distinct groups – one containing people in long-distance relationships; the other with people who live near their significant others. Participants filled out questionnaires detailing intimacy, commitment, communication, sexual satisfaction, and psychological distress. Perhaps surprisingly, the long-distance couples actually score higher for satisfaction, intimacy, and communication. (Not so good on ‘sexual satisfaction’ though.)
DID YOU KNOW?
Music fans are now spending more on vinyl than digital downloads. (Likely thanks to streaming services.)
– BBC News
BS CHRONOMETER 12.13.16
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1957  Steve Buscemi, Brooklyn NY, TV actor (“Boardwalk Empire” 2010-15, “The Sopranos” 2004-05)/movie actor (“Monster House”, “Fargo”)
1967  Jamie Foxx, Terrell TX, movie actor (“Django Unchained”, “Ray”)/R&B singer (f/T-Pain-“Blame It”, f/Ludacris-“Unpredictable”)
1974  Nicholas McCarthy, Blackpool UK, indie rock guitarist (Franz Ferdinand-“No You Girls”, “Take Me Out”)
1975  Tom DeLonge, Poway CA, rock singer (Blink 182-“I Miss You”, Angels & Airwaves-“Everything’s Magic”)
1981  Amy Lee, Riverside CA, rock singer (Evanescence-“Call Me When You’re Sober”, “My Immortal”)
1989  Taylor Swift, Reading PA, pop singer (“Bad Blood”, “Shake It Off”)/10 Grammy Awards/estimated net worth $250 million (June 2016)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Cold Moon”, the Full Moon of December that is known variously as the “Oak Moon”, “Birth Moon”, “Moon Before Yule”, or “Long Night Moon”.
• “Hot Cocoa Day”, because there’s nothing like a steaming mug of the stuff on a bitter cold December day. (Ouch! Burned my freaking tongue!)
• “St Lucy’s Day”, honoring her 304 AD birth. Legend has it that, in order to follow a life of religious devotion, she cut out her eyes and sent them on a plate to a persistent lover who was haunted by them (especially afterward!). Today, hotels in Sweden feature their own ‘Lucia’, a young blond girl in white gown who serves guests coffee & ‘lussekatter’ (saffron buns).
• “Violin Day” is today, so pick up your Stradivarius and let’s make some sweet music together.
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2004  It’s announced that Dick Clark is forced to bow out from hosting his annual ABC-TV event, “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” due to complications from a recent stroke (he dies in April 2012)
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2012  Police bust a bizarre murder plot by a team of 3 hitmen in Albuquerque NM targeting Justin Bieber
2012  A collection of 1969 love letters from Mick Jagger to American singer Marsha Hunt sell at auction for £187,000-plus, about $237,000 (Hunt is believed to be the inspiration for the hit “Brown Sugar”)
TODAY’S FIRSTS . . .
2012  Legendary singer-songwriter Carole King (“It’s Too Late”) is awarded the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song in recognition of her lifetime achievement, the 1st woman to be awarded the honor
2013  Beyonce’s self-titled album is released with no advance notice, sending radio stations scrambling to get its songs on-air (the album sells over 600,000 digital copies in 3 days)
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
2010  In China, a 2,400 year-old pot of soup is discovered near the ancient capital of Xi’an
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Wed] “A Pentatonix Christmas Special” (NBC)
[Wed] Monkey Day
[Wed] Yoga Day
[Thurs] Free Shipping Day
[Fri] Ugly Christmas Sweater Day
This Week Is … Drunk Drivers Awareness Week
This Month Is … Hi Neighbor Month
BS ‘SEXTS’ FROM THE WIFE AFTER SHE’S GONE TO BED EARLY:
8:30: still up?
8:30: I’m in bed
8:30: trying to sleep but cant
8:30: I keep tossing and turning
8:30: do you mind?
8:30: your spoon keeps clanging your ice cream bowl could you be any louder?
8:31: don’t forget to take the dog out
– Thanks to Dan Paley
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it’s stopped snowing.
BS WEB GOODIE:
Run out of creative ideas? Fear not! This buzz-worthy campaign generator does the job for you … with totally incomprehensible biz jargon.
BS U-PICK TRIVIA:
• How many ‘swans a-swimming’ in “The 12 Days of Christmas”?
a. 7 [CORRECT]
c. 8 plus 1 ugly duckling.
• How do you say “Merry Christmas” in Spanish?
a. Oye Como Va
b. Adeste Fideles
c. Feliz Navidad [CORRECT]
BS PHONE STARTER:
☎ After getting the check for an excellent meal in a fine dining restaurant, you notice you have not been charged for one of the items served. Would you tell the server?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: Almost half of women polled buy THIS for their significant other at Christmas time.
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Chaste makes waste.