Thursday, January 14, 2021 — Edition: #6893
The BS Press!
BS SHOWBIZ BUZZ:
★ Spike Lee’s daughter and son Satchel and Jackson have been chosen as the Golden Globe ambassadors to assist with this year’s awards ceremony. An ambassador is traditionally the child of a celebrity who assists with award presentations, handing out trophies to winners and escorting them off stage. Previous ambassadors include Pierce Brosnan’s sons Dylan and Paris Brosnan, Idris Elba’s daughter Isan Elba and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s daughter Simone Garcia. The Golden Globes ceremony will be held Feb. 28th.
★ Netflix, which was one of the only consistent content producers last year in light of the pandemic, has released a trailer teasing all of their 2021 projects. Netflix will release more than 70 movies this year to its U.S. customers across comedy, drama, family and other genres, a lineup that underscores the streaming service’s growing prominence in the film business. The Netflix slate includes the crime thriller “Red Notice” starring Ryan Reynolds, Gal Gadot and Dwayne Johnson, and the zombie heist film “Army of the Dead”. The dozen comedies include “Don’t Look Up” with an all-star cast of Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Timothée Chalamet, Tyler Perry, Meryl Streep and others. LINK: https://youtu.be/L9t86v_JMG0
★ Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem are in talks to star in “Being The Ricardos”. The pair could play Lucille Ball and her husband Desi Arnaz in the Amazon Studios flick, which is set during one production week of the 1950s sitcom “I Love Lucy”. The movie follows the Monday morning table through the Friday afternoon filming as Lucy and Desi face a crisis that could end their careers, and another that may end their marriage.
★ Paul Walker gained international fame with his role in the “Fast & Furious” franchise. And while his star-studded career came to an end with his tragic death in 2013, it seems that another Walker name may be making it big. The late actor’s daughter Meadow Walker just landed her first major modeling gig with designer Proenza Schouler.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Javicia Leslie, Foo Fighters
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Anthony Mackie, Cristin Milioti, Rico Nasty
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Sen. Bernie Sanders, FINNEAS
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Anne Hathaway, Jane Levy
• “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Andie MacDowell, Why Don’t We
• “Conan” (TBS): Joe Manganiello (R)
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Carey Mulligan, Connie Britton, Jennifer Coolidge
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Rob Lowe, Dondré Whitfield
• “The Talk” (CBS): Tom Selleck
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Jennifer Lopez, Katy Mixon, Jeff Cavaliere
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Jim Parsons, Mayim Bialik, Chet Faker
• “The Kelly Clarkson Show” (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS): Ralph Macchio, Iliza Shlesinger, Brandi Milloy, Rex Chapman
• “The Drew Barrymore Show” (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS): Meagan Good, Gary Vaynerchuk
• “Celebrity Wheel of Fortune” (ABC): Celebrity contestants Drew Carey, Teri Hatcher and Chrissy Metz play for charity.
• “Superstore” (NBC): Returns at a new time
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Billie Eilish — She may still be a teenager, but her 19 years will be chronicled in her first book, “Billie Eilish”. Featuring hundreds of never-before-seen photos from her childhood, on tour, and more, it will be out May 11 in hardcover and e-book, along with an audio companion.
• Nick Jonas — is in early talks to play Frankie Valli in an upcoming streaming event performance of the Tony-award winning Broadway musical “Jersey Boys”. He’ll sing Valli’s songs with The Four Seasons as part of the show, which traces the band’s origins from Newark, New Jersey to the top of the charts.
• Dave Grohl – wants to make an album with his 14-year-old daughter Violet. He says she’s already showing signs of following in his footsteps, and recently told him “I want my guitar to sound like My Bloody Valentine.” Grohl’s response? “I was, like, ‘Yes. Yesss! Can I be on your record, please?’”
• Sex Pistols — will be featured in “Pistol”, a 6-episode series based on guitarist Steve Jones’ 2018 memoir “Lonely Boy: Tales from a Sex Pistol”. Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, Slumdog Millionaire) will direct and executive produce the series, which starts production in March.
• Neil Young — wrote on his website about the riots that took place at the U.S. Capitol, ripping the “double standard” between how the rioters were treated compared to Black Lives Matter protesters in the summer. He also said social media “in the hands of powerful people…is crippling our belief system, turning us against one another. We are not enemies. We must find a way home.”
• Eddie Van Halen — is being honored with a new line of EVH guitars. His own brand – which bares his initials – has announced the release of 9 guitars for the reimagined 5150 series. The instruments include many of the customizations that Eddie created himself.
• Thomas Rhett — is the latest country artist to get into the alcohol business, launching Dos Primos Tequila alongside his cousin, pecan magnate Jeff Worn. Spanish for “Two Cousins,” Dos Primos is an ultra-premium blanco tequila made from hand-harvested 100% Blue Agave.
• Jamey Johnson and Randy Houser – have announced they will tour the south together next month on the “Country Cadillac Tour”. The shows, which will be socially distanced, start on Feb. 5 in Fort Worth, and include stops in Orlando, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach and Birmingham. The two longtime friends will perform acoustically and swap stories and songs.
• Kelsea Ballerini – posted that, for her, 2021 will be a year to prioritize health — in every sense of the word. She wrote: “My word of 2021 is ‘healthy’. “I want to nurture and focus on my physical, mental and emotional health that all took a bit of a backseat last year (anyone else?) Having a word for the year helps me stay focused and keeps my intentions set while I try to live a full life, stay creative and be productive.”
SHOOTING THE BULL
AMERICAN’S BEARD’S GOT TALENT:
The owner of America’s “Most Talented Beard” has used his $20,000 in prize money toward the fees for adopting a baby boy. 31-year-old Jonathan Brannan won the title in a contest by the grooming supply company Wahl. He and his wife Alyssa, who live in Ocean Springs MS, had begun the pricey adoption process about 2 years ago, but ran into a financial hurdle: The typical adoption costs about $43,000. Jonathan says he happened to be sporting a beard when scrolling through Facebook a day before the deadline and he saw an ad for the contest. They quickly put together a video of Brannon’s many talents — including singing at the piano and “Annoying your offspring as much as possible.” He made sure his beard was especially sculpted for the video. And his hard work paid off. The $20K grand prize is almost exactly the amount he and his wife needed to complete the adoption. Brannan says he and Alyssa believe his winning the contest is “totally and absolutely a meant-to-be thing”, but he also admits “It’s kind of every man’s dream to be recognized for his beard.”
(…Unless you’re running through the Capitol carrying Nancy Pelosi’s lectern!)
(The only thing my feeble attempts at growing a beard have ever got ME is laughed at…yesterday!)
(That kid had better never tell her dad to “shave that thing”!)
A writer for “Mic” says dog owners don’t just get more exercise than non-dog owners, she claims those with dogs are also happier and more attractive. Tracey Anne Duncan points out that it is a scientifically-proven fact that people with dogs get more exercise than others. A 2019 study showed dog owners exercise for about 300 minutes a week, while people without dogs only exercise for about 100. The same study also showed that people with dogs are generally more fit. Duncan also points out the psychological benefits of walking or running with your doggo, especially during the pandemic, when many are struggling with mental health. Plus, there’s the motivational factor. The feeling you get from knowing that you’re doing something that improves the health of your fur baby is an effective push to get humans out the door and pounding the pavement with Rover. All these facts back up the writer’s theory that people who live with animals are “happier and hotter” than everybody else. Thanks, science.
(Also, what other activity is so much fun that you’d do it wit a bag of poo in your hand?)
(OK, but what about those of us who have a dog who refuses to be seen with us? Asking for a man’s best friend…)
(Plus, there’re all those extra calories you burn vacuuming fur off the furniture!)
ALTERING SUBSTANCE LAWS:
The first thing many people think of when they hear “Amsterdam” are the city’s famous ‘coffee shops’ where you can legally purchase marijuana with your cup of joe. (It’s also possible that this is the SECOND thing many think of, after the famous “red-light district”, but I digress…) Now, it seems that “Cannabis tourism” may be coming to an end, if Mayor Femke Halsema gets her wish. She wants to ban foreign tourists from the city’s coffee shops by the time coronavirus travel restrictions are lifted. The environmentalist mayor wrote that she and many locals have had enough of “the power of attraction of Amsterdam as a holiday resort for soft drug tourism”, and recommended in her new plan that only Dutch nationals and residents of the Netherlands be permitted to purchase marijuana products. The new plan presented to the Amsterdam City Council last week is aimed at tackling the flow of hard drugs and organized crime linked to the marijuana trade.
(And you thought the PANDEMIC was going to destroy tourism!)
(Yeah, THAT ought to help them get a handle on the black market!)
FUNNIEST TWEETS OF THE WEEK FROM PARENTS:
⇒ Thoughts with the parent at my son’s school who offered to have the class guinea pig over the Xmas holidays & is now in for the long haul – Will Wood
⇒ There was 15 Oreo cookies left, so to give each of my 4 children the same, I was forced to eat 11 of them. — Jessie
⇒ you can’t tell me what to do. you’re not my 3-year-old. – dan
⇒ The 8yo disrupted my sleep again, so I texted my mom at 2AM to ask when it stops. – Laura Marie
⇒ My son is sobbing because we told him Nipple isn’t a good name for a puppy – Vision Bored
…AND A FEW FROM WOMEN:
⇒ nobody’s thinking about that weird thing you said. they’re thinking about a different weird thing you said that you didn’t even clock – kylie brakeman
⇒ sorry I didn’t text you back I was pretending I didn’t see it and I ended up actually forgetting – Rex Highstar
⇒ I’m doing laundry and just whispered “It’s almost our anniversary” to the pair of yoga pants I’ve been wearing since March. – Elizabeth Hackett
⇒ not enjoying this bonus week of 2020 content for hardcore fans – Alexandra Petri
DID YOU KNOW?
According to a new survey taken in the US, 59% of us say we have some sort of package delivered to our home every week. That’s up 10% from 2019. 43% of people say they’ve had a package stolen in the past year. That’s up from 36% in 2019. And two-thirds of people say it’s happened to them more than once. The average value of the items swiped? $136 per package.
BS CHRONOMETER 01.14.21
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1941  Faye Dunaway, Bascom FL, movie actress (“Bonnie and Clyde”, “Chinatown”)
1943  Holland Taylor, Philadelphia PA, TV actress (“Two and a Half Men” 2003-15)/partner of actress Sarah Paulson
1963  Steven Soderbergh, Atlanta GA, movie director (“Magic Mike”, “Traffic”)/film producer (“Magic Mike XXL”, “Good Night, and Good Luck”)
1968  LL Cool J (James Todd Smith), Bay Shore NY, TV actor (‘Sam Hanna’ on “NCIS: LA” since 2009)/movie actor (“Any Given Sunday”)/rap artist (‘Mama Said Knock You Out’)/Grammy Awards host 2012-16
1969  Dave Grohl, Warren OH, rock singer-guitarist/drummer (Foo Fighters-‘Learn to Fly’, Nirvana-‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’)
1969  Jason Bateman, Rye NY, movie actor (“Horrible Bosses”, “Juno”)/TV actor (“Ozark” since 2017, “Arrested Development” 2003-06, 2013)
1982  Caleb Followill, Mount Juliet TN, rock singer-guitarist (Kings of Leon-‘Use Somebody’, ‘Sex on Fire’)
1990  Grant Gustin, Norfolk VA, TV actor (‘Barry Allen’/‘The Flash’ on “The Flash” since 2014)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Caesarean Section Day”, commemorating the first successful procedure of its kind, performed in 1794 by Dr Jesse Bennet in Edom VA on his wife. (To celebrate, leave your house this morning by going out through a window.)
• “Dress Up Your Pet Day”, today, dress up your furry family member in comfortable pet clothing — maybe even get matching outfits, if you want to get crazy. And of course, be sure to post the results on your social media (or your pet’s!)
• “Organize Your Home Day”, a day make sure there’s a place for everything and to then put everything in its place. The first step to organizing is to unclutter. (Better make that “Organize Your Home MONTH”!)
• “International Kite Day”, which originated in India. The annual kite festival, called “Uttarayan” in Hindi, celebrates the day that Winter ends and Summer begins.
• “National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day”, New York kosher butcher Sussman Volk produced the first pastrami sandwich in 1887. He claimed to have gotten the recipe from a Romanian friend in exchange for storing his luggage. Volk later converted his butcher shop into a restaurant to sell pastrami sandwiches, because they were so popular.
COMING UP . . .
[Fri] Humanitarian Day
[Fri] Bagel Day
[Sat] Appreciate a Dragon Day
[Sat] Book Publishers Day
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2009  Ricardo Montalbán (“Fantasy Island”, “Star Trek II”, “Naked Gun”), dies of congestive heart failure at 88
2013  In an interview with Oprah Winfrey, 7-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong admits to taking performance-enhancing drugs to improve his cycling performance
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2000  It is revealed that David Crosby is the father of Melissa Etheridge’s two children via surrogate
2014  Justin Bieber is questioned by police over the egging of his neighbor’s house in Calabasas, California
TODAY’S FIRSTS . . .
2009  Citing health concerns, Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs announces his plan to step aside from day-to-day operations, appointing Tim Cook to take over
2015  After 19 days, American rock climbers Tommy Caldwell & Kevin Jorgeson become the first to successfully free-climb the 3,000-ft Dawn Wall face of El Capitan in California’s Yosemite National Park
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1973  Last ‘Perfect NFL Season’ as Miami Dolphins beat Washington Redskins 14-7 at Super Bowl VII in L.A. to finish with a 17-0 record (members of that Dolphins team still celebrate when the last undefeated NFL team finally loses each season)
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ The majority of your brain is fat.
✓ There is a fruit called ‘black sapote’ which tastes like chocolate pudding.
✓ Oranges are not naturally occurring fruits. They are a hybrid of tangerines and pomelos.
✓ It’s not unusual for porcupines to fall out of trees.
✓ Female canaries cannot sing.
✓ Between 2000-05, more than 1,000 American baby girls were named ‘Unique’.
BS INAPPROPRIATE RESPONSES TO AN UGLY BABY:
• “I’m glad you chose a rescue.”
• “That reminds me, I have to pic up rump roast.”
• “At least we know she won’t be lonely once she has her 11 cats.”
• “I’ll get the bug spray.
• “That’s either the ugliest baby I’ve ever seen, or the cutest iguana.”
• “He looks just like his Grandpa – bald, toothless, and crying for a bottle.”
• “So, I hear they’re casting for a “Rosemary’s Baby” remake.”
• “Nice ears.”
• “At least we know it’s yours.”
TODAY’S SLICE OF BS:
➠ A study says that 25% of women would give up sex for an iPad. (Part of me is like, who’d EVER give up sex for a computer device? The other half is like . . . the new one with 5G?)
➠ The latest Prius has a cheaper price tag than the previous model. (Woo-hoo! More money for skinny lattes and Kamala Harris bumper stickers!)
➠ I just read that the number of Americans with blue eyes declined 30% in the past few decades. (If you ask me, it’s because God ran out after making Anderson Cooper’s…)
➠ Dave Grohl is 52 today. (In addition to Foo, he’s now Fighting arthritis.)
➠ A Phoenix, AZ man just paid $50,000 to clone his mixed-breed Jack Russell Terrier. (But before you get all judgmental, it wasn’t just ANY old dog. It was a dog owned by a crazy person who apparently hates poor people and charity…)
BS WEB GOODIE:
Mom on a work call: https://tinyurl.com/yxa6u859
BS RANDOM JOKE:
The older I get, the earlier it gets late.
BS PHONE STARTER:
If you could only eat 2 foods for the rest of your life, what would they be?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: The average price of THIS is $149 and 1 in 6 of us will shell out for one this year . . .and we’re not happy about it. What is it?
Answer: A speeding ticket
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.