Thursday, July 9, 2020 — Edition: #6736
There’s No BS Like Show BS …
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Kanye West says he no longer supports President Trump and that he had coronavirus. In an interview with Forbes, Ye said he lost confidence in the commander in chief when he “hid in the bunker” during the BLM protests. West’s comments come after he announced he is running for president himself, despite having missed deadlines in several states to actually get on the ballot. One reason that he believes he will be able to get on the ballot is because is because of the his battle with coronavirus — he says he spent part of February with “Chills, shaking in the bed, taking hot showers, looking at videos telling me what I’m supposed to do to get over it.” He insisted that his run is not a publicity stunt he has no issue with the idea that his planned run could take votes away from Joe Biden and aid in the reelection of Trump.
★ This year’s Primetime Emmy Awards will have slightly fewer nominees than last year’s, according to the ballots posted online for Emmy voters at the start of voting last week. The slate of nominees will include increased numbers in three different acting categories and in the Outstanding Comedy Series category, which will have the biggest possible slate of eight nominees. But the number of nominees will shrink over last year’s totals in other categories, resulting in a small net loss. The change is due to new rules that were designed “to allow for more inclusiveness in the recognition of excellence”, according to a Television Academy press release.
★ Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Sean Hayes are launching a “three-headed beast” of a podcast. “Arrested Development” stars Bateman and Arnett and “Will and Grace” star Hayes will launch “Smartless” on July 20, with episodes available every Monday. The show is centered around the element of surprise, with each episode starting with one of the hosts revealing his mystery guest. All three hosts will engage with the surprise guest, and learn about all facets of their world.
★ Baby Yoda for breakfast? He has been the brightest star in the Star Wars galaxy since “The Mandalorian” premiered in December. And soon, that little green face will be gazing back at you from a cereal box. On May 4, aka Star Wars Day, General Mills revealed the impending arrival of Mandalorian-themed cereal. Flash-forward to July and the cereal is about to Forcefully fly onto Sam’s Club shelves throughout the US. In the past seven months, Baby Yoda has already graced toys, T-shirts and even face masks. (***See ‘Other Uses for the Force’, below***)
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Billy Porter, Kim Petras, guest host Billy Eichner
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Alex Rodriguez, Rhett & Link, Tones and I (R)
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Wesley Lowery, Judd Apatow (R)
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Amanda Peet, Ramy Youssef, Patrisse Cullors, Tim McGraw (R)
• “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Terry Crews, Old Dominion (R)
• “Conan” (TBS): Jameela Jamil
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Sarah Paulson, Sonja Morgan
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Rep. Mike Kelly, Rebecca Jarvis (R)
• “The Talk” (CBS): Peter Gallagher, Karamo Brown
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Regina Hall, Gabby Barrett
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Best moments from the 2019-2020 season
• “The Kelly Clarkson Show” (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS): Mayim Bialik, Max Greenfield, Chloe x Halle, Craig Susser
• “Cake” (FXX): Season 3 premiere
• “Extraordinary People: World’s Smallest Woman: Meet Jyoti” (TLC): At 24 inches tall and 12 pounds, 26-year-old Jyoti Amge is the smallest woman in the world, and hopes to find a doctor for a serious health issue
• “Burden of Truth” (CW): Season 3 finale
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Lizzo — claims she was ”kicked out” of a vacation property. She shared a video of herself twerking and wrote: ”This is for the man that kicked me out of my 7-day rental 3 days early yesterday. This is for mocking the way that I dance and for using Instagram footage of me and my 6 black homegirls to say that we could ‘hurt him’ and threaten to call the police.” She went on to say that her party found somewhere ”better” to stay.
• Jonas Brothers – Their book release has been pushed back. The group tweeted: “It’s important to us that our memoir ‘BLOOD’ is perfect and that we share it when the time is right. Because of that, we’re taking some extra time to write our story. We’ll update everyone shortly once we have more info.” It was expected in October.
• Madonna — Fans are coming to her defense after she faced backlash from trolls on Tuesday. She drew a flurry of attention on Twitter after she shared a photo of herself posing topless, writing, “Everyone has a Crutch.” While some praised her beauty and confidence, others weren’t as nice. Comments included: “Put some bloody clothes on love and retire pls lol”, and “Your 70. Retire.”
• Scorpions – drummer Mikkey Dee recently battled COVID-19. He responded after Don Dokken revealed Dee had lost weight and “was really in bad shape” after contracting the coronavirus in Australia. Dee wrote on Instagram: “I did get Corona and was sick for about 1 month. I am now fully recovered since mid April. I was already playing hockey and drums by the end of April.”
• Ozzy Osbourne — His online store has been updated with “Ozzy For President” merchandise, including t-shirts, hoodies, lithographs, bumper stickers and buttons. For $60, fans can get a hoodie, a 13″ x 19″ lithograph, a bumper sticker and a button. TRAILER: https://tinyurl.com/y94pcrsn
• Harry Chapin – The documentary “Harry Chapin: When in Doubt, Do Something”, which follows the Grammy-winning singer-songwriter who spent his fame and fortune trying to end world hunger before his tragic passing, will hit the fall festival circuit before being released in October. It features Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Kenny Rogers, Pat Benatar and many other stars.
• Luke Bryan – His summer song ‘One Margarita’ has officially hit the top of the charts, marking his 25th #1 and his 23rd on Billboard’s Country Airplay Chart. It’s the fastest-rising #1 this year.
• Brett Eldredge — will release his fifth studio album, Sunday Drive” tomorrow. The 12-song offering features 11 songs that he co-wrote, including the lead single ‘Gabrielle’, which is currently #43 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart. Other titles include: ‘Where the Heart Is’, ‘Good Day’, ‘Crowd My Mind,’ and the title track.
You’ve probably heard the phrase, “Not my type” a few times. Maybe you’ve even said it. But now, social psychology researchers say that people who believe they have a “type” are fooling themselves…so much so that singles “might as well let a stranger pick their dates.” How so? The researchers from University of California claim that most people are looking for the same general, positive qualities in a love interest…things like being “kind” and intelligent”, and these qualities could be present regardless of whether a match falls in line with someone’s type. Their survey of more than 700 adults found that people are just as interested in potential matches who fit someone else’s desired qualities in a mate as their own. The researchers concluded that we tend to want partners who have positive qualities, but the qualities we are especially interested in do not actually have special predictive power for us.
(I know I’VE heard “Not my type” more than a few times!)
(Except for fireman uniforms!)
(No, actually, I can tell you that there are definitely some people who are NOT my type!)
DRINK IT IN:
☞ Science says it has a surprising way to help you cool down before trying to go to sleep on a sweltering summer night – but it completely contradicts what you’d expect. Try a hot beverage. A University of Ottawa experiment found that a warm drink can actually lower the heat stored inside your body. How? As soon as the beverage hits your temperature receptors, you produce more sweat. And that perspiration will help to cool your skin, making you feel colder. The same rule applies during daytime. (Around here lately, ANY drink is a warm drink!)
☞ Even though you want coffee, you may not actually like it. A study, published in Journal of Psychopharmacology, suggests that your morning cup of coffee might be more addictive than you think. It was found that most coffee drinkers simply want coffee in order to feed their caffeine addiction, rather than actually wanting to enjoy the taste. (So maybe don’t choose coffee to cool off before bed?)
EVERYDAY OBJECTS THAT ARE DIFFICULT FOR LEFT-HANDED PEOPLE:
⇒ Playing cards: Basically, a left-handed person has to hold them upside-down. (Which totally ruined my poker game in grade-school!)
⇒ Video-game controllers: Think of where the buttons are placed. Lefties are playing handicapped ALL THE TIME.
⇒ Measuring cups: The liquid ones, anyway. Those marks are pretty much always on the “wrong” side. (Which explains a lot…)
⇒ Baseball gloves: Sure, you’re OK if you have your own, but if you’re a lefty, just try to borrow one!
⇒ Can openers: They’re hard enough to use as a righty, never mind trying to use one with your wrong hand!
⇒ School desks: Plain and simple: They’re made for right-handers. (Except for that one “lefty-desk” that exists in every classroom, that some right-handed kid usually grabs, just to be different…)
⇒ Notebooks: Have you ever seen a poor lefty sitting in class with their wrist contorted at a painful angle in a fruitless attempt to not smear everything they’ve just written into nonsense?
⇒ Scissors: (of course)…Yes, many left-handed children were tortured by trying to learn how to use scissors for the wrong hand.
(On the other hand, righties have to learn to flush with their left hand, so I guess it evens out…)
(I’m sorry if I just bored the pants off of 85-90% of my listeners…)
DID YOU KNOW?
76% of people say they’ve gained up to 16lbs (7.25kg) during their time in self-isolation due to the pandemic. In a survey of 2,000 Americans, 76% also say they have experienced increased stress because they’re snacking more. The good news? 63% say they’ve now placed more of a priority on improving their diet.
BS CHRONOMETER 07.09.20
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1947  O.J. (Orenthal James) Simpson, San Francisco CA, former pro football player (NFL Hall of Famer/1968 Heisman Trophy winner)/actor (“Roots”, “Naked Gun” movies/acquitted in the murder of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and waiter Ronald Goldman
1952  John Tesh, Garden City NY, TV host (“Entertainment Tonight” 1986-96)/musician (‘Power of Love’)/syndicated radio host (“Intelligence For Your Life With John Tesh”)
1955  Jimmy Smits, Brooklyn NY, TV actor (“NYPD Blue” 1994-2004, “The West Wing” 2004-06) COMING UP… “In the Heights”, 2021
1956  Tom Hanks, Concord CA, movie actor (Oscars-“Forrest Gump”, “Philadelphia”) COMING UP…”Greyhound”, 2020
1964  Courtney Love (Harrison), San Francisco CA, rock singer (Hole-‘Celebrity Skin’)/ TV actress (“Revenge” 2015, “Sons of Anarchy” 2014)/movie actress (“People vs Larry Flynt”)/married to Kurt Cobain (1992-94)
1975  Jack White (Gillis), Detroit MI, rock singer/guitarist (‘Lazaretto’, The Raconteurs-‘Steady As She Goes’, White Stripes-‘Seven Nation Army’)/movie actor (“Cold Mountain”)
1976  Fred Savage, Chicago IL, TV actor (“The Wonder Years” 1988-1993), director (“2 Broke Girls” 2011-16)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Sugar Cookie Day”, honoring the cookie that is so delicious, yet so simple. All you need is sugar, flour, butter, eggs, vanilla, and baking powder (and insulin…)
• “Call of the Horizon Day”, if the idea of following your dreams over the horizon has ever called you, take the time to follow today! (Keep the dream alive – hit ‘snooze’!)
• “No Bra Day”, it’s fairly self-explanatory, but if wearing a bra on this day is absolutely necessary, you can also show your ‘support’ by wearing something purple (or lack of support?)
• “Don’t Put All Your Eggs In One Omelet Day”, from the saying: “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket,” meaning “Don’t put all your faith (or time, or money, etc.) into one thing”, because that one thing could fail, and you’ll be left starting from scratch.
• “Fashion Day”, On this day, people sport their best fashionable looks, and post pictures on social media.
COMING UP . . .
[Fri] National Kitten Day
[Fri] National Piña Colada Day
[Sat] Free Slurpee Day
[Sat] All American Pet Photo Day
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2001  “The Office” mockumentary, created by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, starring Ricky Gervais and Martin Freeman, premieres in the UK (the precursor to the American series of the same name)
2004  The movie “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy” opens in theaters (Kind of a big deal?)
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
1999  Mick Jagger’s marriage to model Jerry Hall is officially annulled in a London court, eliminating 8 years of marriage and a 22-year relationship (and about $37 million)
1999  Elton John checks into London’s Wellington hospital to have a pacemaker installed due to an irregular heartbeat (The circle of life?)
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
2002  To the boos of disappointed fans, the MLB All-Star game in Milwaukee WI finishes in a 7-7 tie after 11 innings when both teams run out of pitchers
TODAY’S RECORDS . . .
2005  Daredevil skateboarder Danny Way uses a large ramp to jump over the Great Wall of China, becoming the first to clear it without motorized aid
2006  The Fiat 500 Club Italia organizes the ‘World’s Largest Parade of Fiat Cars’, from Villanova d’Albenga to Garlenda, Italy (500 of them, of course)
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ Winston Churchill smoked an estimated 300,000 cigars in his life.
✓ A lion’s roar can be heard from more than five miles away.
✓ To find out if a watermelon is ripe, knock it. If it sounds hollow, it is ready to eat.
✓ Goodyear once made a tire entirely out of corn.
✓ The word ‘clue’ originally meant “ball of twine”. That’s why you “unravel” clues to solve a mystery.
✓ An average dairy cow produces four times her weight in manure each year. (Holy cow!)
Best of BS . . .
BS OTHER USES FOR THE FORCE:
• Finding the remote control
• Folding a fitted sheet
• Correcting the spelling and grammar of people’s Facebook posts
• Eating Cheetos without getting that orange stuff on your hands
• In the right order making Yoda say things
• Keeping the skeletons in my closet
• Getting things off the top shelf
• “Forcing” someone to do my yard work
• Making my wife watch Star Wars movies
• Atomic wedgies
-Twitter, first published in BS in 2019
It’s “Nude Recreation Week”, here are some …
BS PROBLEMS WITH NUDE RECREATION:
• Tough to keep your eye on the ball while playing a game.
• Getting sunblock in places you can’t even get soap.
• No place to carry beer money.
• Splinters on the bench.
• Your ‘uniform’ is starting to look awfully wrinkled.
• Mosquito bites in places where it looks rude to scratch.
• Uncontrollable bouncing.
-TheToiletPaper, first published in BS in 2010
TODAY’S SLICE OF BS:
➠ A 103-year-old Texas man broke a Guinness record for world’s oldest skydiver. (It wasn’t all great…at 5,000 feet he could see everyone walking on his lawn!)
➠ A Japanese zoo spent four years trying to mate a pair of hyenas before they eventually realized they were both males. (SO…who’s laughing now?)
➠ As you know, Kanye West has announced his US presidential bid. (Can you imagine that ass in the White House? But enough about the future First Lady, let’s get back to Kanye…)
➠ Joey Chestnut won the 2020 Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest on Saturday by eating a world-record 75 hot dogs. (How is this even possible? I have a wood-chipper that can’t work that fast!)
➠ A study in “Psychology Today” magazine once said that one of the best ways to get someone to go to bed with you is to make them laugh. (Coincidentally, for me, one of the best ways to make someone laugh is to go to bed with them…)
BS WEB GOODIE:
Grand opening: https://tinyurl.com/y7v9em67
BS PHONE STARTER:
What dumb warning did you receive from your parents, that has since been debunked? (“If you use one brand of shampoo and a different brand of conditioner, your hair will fall out!”, “Your face will freeze like that!”
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Dating is not a game. You can win at those.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: 68% of women say they feel guilty if they do this in the morning. What is it?
Answer: Go to work with dirty dishes in the sink
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
One moment can change a day, one day can change a life and one life can change the world.