Tuesday, July 12, 2022 – Edition: #7270
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Tom Cruise has been granted permission to film inside London’s Westminster Abbey for “Mission: Impossible 8”, even though they “turn down almost every request”. A source was quoted in British media as saying: “Tom is really on at the moment in terms of going bigger and better. There are literally no compromises. Nothing but the biggest and the best will do. So, when he wanted to film inside a church for the new ‘Mission’ film, it had to be Westminster Abbey.” Cruise sought the extremely rare permission to shoot scenes in the religious landmark and was reportedly thrilled when it was granted. The source said the Abbey will make an “extraordinary” filming location, and sets the tone for exactly how huge the next Mission: Impossible film is going to be.
★ Jennifer Lopez has opened up about her health and the importance of self-care. In her latest newsletter, the 52-year-old superstar looks back on “feeling physically paralyzed” during the exhaustion-induced panic attacks she experienced in her late 20s. She wrote: “There was a time in my life where I used to sleep 3-5 hours a night. I’d be on set all day and in the studio all night and doing junkets and filming videos on the weekends…I thought I was invincible.” One day, while sitting in a trailer, all the stress and lack of sleep caught up with her, and she went from feeling normal to not being able to move, and unable to see clearly. Lopez says she now knows that she was experiencing a “classic panic attack”. A security guard brought her to a doctor who advised her to get sufficient sleep and stop drinking caffeine. Lopez now aims “to live a very healthy and balanced life”, which is “about pro-living versus anti-aging.”
★ Jon Stewart quickly shut down the thought of him becoming president after a viral op-ed suggested he should run for office during the 2024 election. Stewart responded on Twitter: “Ummm… no thank you,” following the opinion piece published by Politico. The article, titled “If Tucker Runs in 2024, Here’s Who the Democrats Need,” declared that Stewart is the Democratic Party’s best chance of keeping hold of the White House. The author, Juleanna Glover, insists that Stewart is “a better fit than most politicians for what modern politics has become.”
★ Kate Mara and Jamie Bell are expecting their second child together. The actress revealed the exciting news via Instagram on Sunday. She captioned a paparazzi snap of her and her husband with the words: “There are three of us in this pic.” Within minutes, their celeb friends took to the comments section to congratulate them. Celebrity fashion designer Johnny Wujek wrote: “The cats out the bag. Johnnys a fairy god father again.” Jenna Dewan gushed, “Awwww congratulations loves!!!! Mara and Bell met on the set of “Fantastic Four” in 2014, became engaged in early 2017 and tied the knot in July of that year.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Steven Yeun, Wiz Khalifa, Hot Milk, guest host Anthony Anderson
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Post Malone, Howie Mandel, Arcade Fire (R)
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Wanda Sykes, Ronan Farrow (R)
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Maya Rudolph, Werner Herzog, Ralph Alexander (R)
• ” The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Rosario Dawson, John Cameron Mitchell, Duran Duran (R)
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Taylor Armstrong, Ryan O’Connell
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Phoebe Robinson
• “The Talk” (CBS): George Takei, guest co-host David Begnaud
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Wanda Sykes, Daisy Edgar Jones
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Andrew Whitworth, Marlee Matlin, Sylvan Esso (R)
• “The Kelly Clarkson Show” (Check local listings): Jessica Alba, Rose Matafeo, Jamie Miller (R)
• “The Drew Barrymore Show” (Check local listings): Mikel Welch (R)
• “Holey Moley” (ABC): Season 4 finale. The round 1 winners battle it out in a game-changing 2nd knockout round, the last 2 remaining champs face off in the final round.
• “Dancing With Myself” (NBC): A hair model, an NFL cheerleader, a flight attendant and others battle it out over dance challenges set by celebs Shakira, Nick Jonas and Liza Koshy.
• “Celebrity Game Face” (E!): Rick Ross, T Pain and Ti & Tiny compete remotely from their homes in a night of fun and games hosted by Kevin Hart.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Nicki Minaj — hilariously shut down rumors that she’s pregnant in a weekend IG live. She told viewers that she “did mean to tweet this: ‘I’m not fat, y’all, I’m pregnant.’” Fans quickly offered congrats, which led to Minaj clarifying: “Oh, I’m sorry, I think I said it wrong. I meant to say I’m not pregnant, I’m fat… But thanks, guys, for all the congratulatory messages!”
• Kanye West — returned to the stage for the first time in nearly 5 months to deliver his verse from ‘Eazy’ during the Game’s Los Angeles concert Friday night. The performance marked the first time the rappers’ collab had been played live.
• Backstreet Boys – This fall, they’ll release their first-ever Christmas album. Alongside a holidays-themed video uploaded to TikTok, they wrote: “Tell your friends the holidays start early this year… ‘A Very Backstreet Christmas’ comes out October 14.” LINK: https://tinyurl.com/25538fw9
• Roxy Music – Guitarist Phil Manzanera says he made more money from having his work sampled in 2011 by Jay-Z and Kanye West than he ever did in Roxy Music. The song ‘No Church in the Wild’ (using a piece from one of his solo tunes) won a Grammy, and was used in films and “a lot of ads”.
• Abba – might take their “Voyage” show across the world. Performances using the bandmembers’ “Abbatars” have been staged at a purpose-built venue in London but Benny Andersson’s son Ludvig – the producer of the show – says they’d like to create similar venues in “places that aren’t always visited by the big bands” such as South America, and Asia, as well as in North America.
• Billy Joel – was joined onstage Sat. night by Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott at Comerica Park in Detroit. Elliott romped through a rendition of his band’s 1987 hit ‘Pour Some Sugar on Me’ with Joel and his band before more than 38,000 fans at the ballpark.
(***NOTE: Language***) • Randy Houser – got himself into trouble with wife Tatiana after revealing she’s pregnant with the couple’s second child. He made an off-the-cuff remark during a radio interview, revealing that his 3-year-old son Huck will be getting a sibling in October. Quote: it was kind of like at the end of it and we were just kind of chatting and then all of a sudden, boom. So, I got my a– chewed.”
• Zac Brown Band — have announced the next duet to come off the deluxe version of their “The Comeback” album. ‘Wild Palomino’, featuring Cody Johnson, drops this Friday.
• Jelly Roll — joined Craig Morgan on the Grand Ole Opry stage on Thursday night, for a performance of Morgan’s ‘Almost Home’. Jelly Roll cites Craig Morgan as one of his musical heroes.
SHOOTING THE BULL
THIS IS WHY YOUR STOMACH ‘GROWLS’:
Being “hangry” is a real thing, according to a new study. Researchers in Europe discovered that feeling hungry really does lead to more anger and irritability. Hangry, or the blending of the words hungry and angry (like they did in the Snickers commercials) — has become a popular expression in recent years, but this is the first study to examine how the phenomenon affects a person’s day-to-day emotional state. The study authors from Anglia Ruskin University and the Karl Landsteiner University of Health Sciences say they found that not only does hunger increase levels of anger and irritability, it also lowers a person’s level of pleasure. They also found that feeling hungry for just one day can actually leave a residual trace which impacts our emotions for weeks after.
(Even longer if you’re a teenager!)
(And THIS is why I cannot bear the thought of (***co-host***) ever going on a diet!)
We’ve heard recently that many people report they’ve been invited to more weddings set for this summer than any in recent memory. Well, if you’re one of them, you’d better keep a few weekends free – to see family. According to a poll of 2,000 American adults who plan on traveling this summer, 57% expect to attend a family or friend reunion this summer. The average respondent says they have waited about 4 years to reconnect with their extended family, so it’s no surprise that over half (58%) are willing to travel further this summer than ever before, in order to reconnect with friends or family. Conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Motel 6, results show that the average person is willing to travel nearly 80 miles (130km), but about one-third (32%) would venture more than 100 miles (160km).
(Coincidentally, my family is holding a huge family reunion this weekend. I’m willing to travel ANY distance — in the opposite direction!)
(The only thing worse than travelling to see family is them travelling to come see me!)
An Indiana personal trainer claims that running on all fours like a dog every day for nearly a year has done wonders for his physical fitness — and he says others should follow his lead. Videos showing off his unique form have amassed millions of views on TikTok. 31-YEAR-OLD Nathaniel Nolan says he came up with the idea himself, and since last August, he has set aside about 30 minutes each day for walking and running on his hands and feet. In one video from June with more than 21 million views, the Indianapolis native can be seen using his hands and feet to canter effortlessly across the grass. Nolan says his level of fitness has improved by literal leaps and bounds, his joint and back pain have dissipated, and his physique has become much more well-defined, as evidenced in his videos. Aside from his peculiar fitness regime, Nolan says he lives “a completely normal life”. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/3krnve2s
(Except for that nasty ‘rolling in poo’ habit…)
(I watched his videos. In case you’re wondering, yes, he DOES do this in his FRONT YARD!)
SURE, IT MAKES SENSE NOW:
A Reddit thread asked what rational sentence people could say today that would sound totally crazy 20 years ago. Once again, the internet didn’t disappoint . . .
⇒ “I store my contacts in the cloud.”
⇒ “The 2020 Olympics were held in 2021.”
⇒ “128 GB of storage is tiny.”
⇒ “Always put your mask on before going into a crowded bank.”
⇒ “Uber is when you give a stranger your location over the internet so you can get in their car.”
⇒ “Unplug your book so I can charge my cigarette.”
⇒ “Officer, where do they sell weed around here?”
⇒ “Betty White will outlive Michael Jackson & Prince.”
⇒ “Home Alone 2 has a future U.S. President in the movie.”
⇒ “I hate Bill Cosby.”
(What would you add to the list?)
DID YOU KNOW?
Researchers have found evidence suggesting insects can feel pain. In their paper published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 2 scientists from Queen Mary University of London, ad one from the University of Tehran, say prior research and anecdotal evidence has suggested that insects do not feel pain. Because of this, humans have found it easy to harm or kill them. The research trio suggests our assumptions may have been wrong, leading to questions regarding how to address the ethical issues surrounding their treatment by humans causing them harm.
BS CHRONOMETER 07.12.22
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Amazon Prime Day”, Running today and tomorrow, it’s the annual event held by the online retailer since 2015, featuring sales and promotions exclusive to Amazon Prime subscribers. Amazon initially promoted the event as featuring “more deals than Black Friday.” (I was going to make an ‘Amazon Prime’ joke here, but, like them, I’d probably screw up the delivery…)
• “Different Colored Eyes Day”, celebrating the diversity of eye color as well as people with eyes that are a different color from one another. Celebs with what’s called ‘heterochromia’ include late rocker David Bowie, actress Mila Kunis, and actor Kiefer Sutherland.
• “Pecan Pie Day”, celebrating one of the most decadent of all desserts. The crust and pecans aren’t necessary … just the yummy goo in the center! Is it ‘PEE-can or ‘puh-CAHN’? Or is it ‘pee-CAHN’?
• “Simplicity Day”, a day to focus on ways to simplify your life. Which would be …?
• “Cow Appreciation Day”, the idea is to wear a cow costume — or any sort of cow apparel — and head to Chick-fil-A to receive a free entrée, (kids receive a free kids meal). The day honors Chick-fil-A’s “Eat Mor Chikin” Cows, introduced in 1995 on a billboard, showing a cow sitting on the back of another cow and painting “Eat Mor Chikin.”
• “Eat Your Jello Day”, Is it a coincidence that it’s also Bill Cosby’s birthday??
• “Paper Bag Day”, the paper bag has become a household staple. Uses include bringing your groceries home, carrying your lunch, curing hiccups and making puppets. (And carrying a bottle?)
• “Etch a Sketch Day”, celebrating the toy, released on this day in 1960, that has entertained and fascinated generations of kids. It allows you to draw straight lines on a screen controlled by 2 knobs, a difficult skill to master, but eventually, impressive pictures can be made.
COMING UP . . .
[Wed] Bean ‘n’ Franks Day
[Wed] Embrace Your Geekness Day
[Thurs] Grand Marnier Day
[Thurs] Pandemonium Day
This Week Is…Creative Maladjustment Week
This Month Is…Hemp Month
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1937  Bill Cosby, Philadelphia PA, comedian/actor (“The Cosby Show” 1984-1992, “Cosby” 1996-2000, “Fat Albert & the Cosby Kids” 1972-85)/His 2018 conviction for 3 counts of aggravated indecent assault was vacated by Pennsylvania Supreme Court, resulting in his release from prison on June 30, 2021
1943  Christine McVie, Lancashire England, rock-pop singer/keyboardist (Fleetwood Mac-‘Say You Love Me’, ‘Little Lies’)
1948  Richard Simmons, New Orleans LA, actor/comedian/fitness guru (dedicated his business ventures to helping people lose weight, primarily through his “Sweatin’ to the Oldies” videos)
1951  Cheryl Ladd, TV Actress, Juron SD (‘Kris Munroe’ on “Charlie’s Angels” 1977-1981)
1975  Cheyenne Jackson, Spokane Washington, TV actor (“American Horror Story” 2015-18)
1978  Topher Grace, NYC, movie actor (‘Venom’ in “Spider-Man 3”, “Interstellar”)/TV actor (‘Eric Foreman’ on “That ’70s Show” 1998-2005)
1978  Michelle Rodriguez, San Antonio TX, movie actress (“Fast & Furious” films, “Avatar”)/TV actress (“Lost” 2005-06, 2009-10)
1980  Kristen Connolly, Montclair NJ, TV actress (“Zoo” 2015-17, “House of Cards” 2013-14)
1983  Kimberly Perry, Ridgeland MS, country singer-guitarist (The Band Perry-‘Better Dig Two’, ‘If I Die Young’)
1988  Ta’Rhonda Jones, Chicago IL, TV actress (‘Porsha Taylor’ on “Empire” 2015-20)
1990  Rachel Brosnahan, Milwaukee WI, TV actress (‘Abby Isaacs’ on “Manhattan” 2014-15, ‘Rachel Posner’ on “House of Cards” 2013-15)
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1976  The first “Family Feud” game show debuts on ABC, hosted by Richard Dawson
2008  Twins (a girl named Vivienne Marcheline & a boy named Knox Leon) are born to Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie in France
2020  Kelly Preston, star of “For Love of the Game” and wife of John Travolta, dies of breast cancer at 57
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2007  Rod Stewart is awarded the CBE Order of the British Empire by Prince Charles in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace
2008  61-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood leaves his wife of 23 years and moves in with an 18-year-old Russian cocktail waitress. Then they got married. Then divorced. Then he married Sally Humphries, who was 34. They now have 6-year-old twins together. He’s 75
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
1998  Host country France defeats favored Brazil 3-0 to win its first-ever FIFA World Cup
TODAY’S RECORDS . . .
2015  Novak Djokovic wins his third Wimbledon title, denying Roger Federer the all-time record of 8 Wimbledon titles (at least until 2017…). Djokovic now has 7
2018  India’s Shridhar Chillal has his fingernails cut with a power tool at the Ripley’s Believe It or Not! museum in New York City. They measure a record 909.6cm (total) after growing for 66 years
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ More energy from the sun hits Earth every hour than the planet uses in a year.
✓ The moon is gradually slowing Earth’s rotation, adding approximately 1.4 milliseconds to each day every 100 years.
✓ Purdue University engineering students determined that it takes exactly 364 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.
✓ Hot water freezes faster than cold water.
✓ A small child could swim through the veins of a blue whale.
✓ The terms ‘idiot’ ‘imbecile’ and ‘moron’ are all medical classifications for people with certain IQ ranges (Idiot 0-20, Imbecile 21-50, Moron 51-70).
Best of BS . . .
BS WHAT THE INTERNET TAUGHT ME:
• That I can make $28,000 per month working from home in my jammies.
• That it’s never good to Google terms that you don’t understand.
• That I should dance like no one is watching. ‘Cuz they’re not. They’re looking at their phones.
• That the grammar and spelling police are always waiting to pounce.
• That I have to scroll down way too far to find my birthdate.
• That there are literally thousands of women whom I’ve never met, waiting to stand me up on a moment’s notice!
• That I can diagnose my own afflictions.
• That there are actually real people on there who will not get all of my clever SpongeBob references.
• That it is a great place for civil political discussion.
• There are a lot of people WAY crazier than me!
-Twitter, first published in BS in 2018
TODAY’S SCOOP OF BS:
➠ Marvel has announced the release date February 17, 2023 for the much anticipated “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania”. (Ant-Man is the world’s smallest action hero. Not counting Tom Cruise…)
➠ Revlon has filed for bankruptcy. (Digging out of this mess will be hard for Revlon, but not near as hard as finding 2 shades of rouge that don’t clash with these pumps!)
➠ A study has concluded that chocolate is good for the heart. (Which is why you see all those Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup wrappers all over my treadmill.)
➠ Richard Simmons is 74 today. (It’s not too late to get him a gift. Regular-sized shorts might not be a bad idea…)
➠ Bill Cosby is 85 today. (If you’re going to his birthday party, stay away from the punch!)
BS WEB GOODIE:
Hey man, nice shot: https://tinyurl.com/258u7hap
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Do what you love, and you’ll never own property a day in your life…
BS PHONE STARTER:
Local pride time! What’s your favorite thing about the area/city/town you live in?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: THIS happens more often on Tuesdays than any other day of the week. What is it?
Answer: Being late for work
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect, and beginning the work of becoming yourself.