Friday, June 17, 2005 Edition: #3068
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
TODAY it will officially be announced that “Live 8″ will finally entail 8 concerts with Toronto, Tokyo & Johannesburg being added to London, Paris, Berlin, Rome & Philadelphia (even though South Africa isn’t a G-8 country, Russia is) . . . After criticism over the London “Live 8″ concert’s lack of African performers, organizers have announced a side concert in Cornwall UK featuring Youssou N’Dour, Thomas Mapfumo, Salif Keita & other African artists . . . TODAY’s edition of “People” magazine features “Hottest Bachelors 2005″, a list that includes actors Orlando Bloom, Colin Farrell & Jesse Metcalfe (“Desperate Housewives”) . . . SATURDAY the Army records of several late celebrities will be opened to the public for the first time by the US National Archives, including Elvis Presley, movie actors Steve McQueen, Humphrey Bogart & Clark Gable, President John F Kennedy, writer Jack Kerouac, pilot Charles Lindbergh, boxer Joe Louis & baseball great Jackie Robinson . . . Thanks to the good shows being in reruns, ABC-TV’s “Dancing With the Stars” has come up a winner as the #1 summer program on TV . . . At least 3 networks (FOX, ABC and A&E) that were pitched on that proposed 6-episode reality TV show featuring Michael Jackson & his wacko family have quickly passed on the idea . . . Michael Jackson’s been spotted wearing the red string bracelet favored by Kabbalah followers, perhaps because it’s said to ward off the ‘evil eye’ . . . TONIGHT ABC News show “20/20″ airs an exposé on Kabbalah (adherent Roseanne Barr appears, but Madonna, Ashton Kutcher & Demi Moore all turned down invitations to discuss their faith) . . . Hugh Hefner says he’ll allow people to buy tickets to see the Playboy Mansion – after he passes away (it’s not too early to reserve – he’s 79!) . . . $5-million-a-year NFL analyst John Madden will join NBC-TV’s inaugural season of “Sunday Night Football” in 2006 (when “Monday Night Football” shifts to ESPN), completing a sportscasting journey through all 4 major broadcast networks that started with CBS-TV 26 years ago (he may be paired up with Mike Breen, Tom Hammond, Marv Albert or – current ABC-TV partner Al Michaels if he can be bought).
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Coldplay – Their “ X&Y” album is 2005’s biggest release so far, hitting #1 in 22 countries.
• Elton John – His Vegas show at Caesars Palace, “The Red Piano”, has been extended another 2 years through 2008. The 150 extra shows will add $50 million to his take.
• Erica Jo – TONIGHT the “Nashville Star 3″ winner and the 3 runners-up kick off a US-Canada tour in Fargo ND.
• 50 Cent – He’s dropped out of the “Live 8″ concert JULY 2nd in Philadelphia because he’s shooting his film debut in “Get Rich Or Die Tryin’” in Toronto.
• James Taylor – TONIGHT he begins an 11-week, 30-city summer tour in Hartford CT.
• Janet Jackson – SATURDAY she receives the ‘Humanitarian Award’ from the Human Rights Campaign, in recognition of her donations to HIV and AIDS research.
• John Michael Montgomery – TONIGHT he performs at the opening of his new restaurant, John Michael’s Hometown Bar & Grill, in his hometown of Nicholasville KY.
• Oasis – TONIGHT they’re scheduled to kick off a North American tour at Toronto’s Molson Amphitheatre but the way they’re been feuding, who knows? Opening act is Jet.
TODAY’S MOVIE OPENING:
“The Perfect Man” (PG Romantic Comedy): Hilary Duff stars as ‘Holly Hamilton’, a teen whose single mom (Heather Locklear) perpetually strikes out on the dating front. The kid invents a secret admirer to boost her mom’s shaky self-esteem. But when mom falls for the imaginary man, ‘Holly’ is forced to find a real guy (Chris Noth) to fulfill the fantasy. Partly filmed in Toronto. (Heather Locklear has a tough time getting a date? Talk about suspension of disbelief!)
2005 MUCHMUSIC VIDEO AWARDS:
SUNDAY the annual “MMVAs” are handed out live on MuchMusic, Star! & CITY-TV from Toronto (red carpet 7:30 pm ET; awards at 9 pm ET), featuring performances by The Killers, Black Eyed Peas, Billy Talent & Ciara, and appearances by Sum 41, Carmen Electra, Fefe Dobson, Shawn Desman, Kalan Porter, Toronto Maple Leaf Tie Domi and – huh? – reality TV couple Rob & Amber.
FROM THE BS POLL VAULT:
A BS snapshot of who we are and what we do …
• 86% of us don’t exercise at all.
• 65% of us check the weather forecast each day but only a third think it will be accurate.
• 54% of all vehicles are now purchased by women.
• 51% of Albertans have physically assaulted a photocopier.
• 48% of men & 35% of women consider online flirting an act of cheating.
• 27% of us believe we were someone else in a past life.
• 20% of women won’t go to bed without their favorite stuffed animal.
British soccer star David Beckham has been presented the ‘World’s Most Expensive Razor’ as a surprise “Fathers Day” gift from his sponsor Gillette. The diamond-encrusted M3Power razor designed by American jeweler Jacob Arobo is valued at $45,000. (You can bet this blade will get a lot of use – on Victoria’s legs.)
Just in time for “Father’s Day”, a new list of the ‘Worst Celeb Dads’ is out and among them are Michael Lohan (who’s to blame for Lindsay), Joseph P Kennedy (patriarch of the Kennedy clan), actor Ryan O’Neal (Tatum’s pop), both Joe & Michael Jackson, Kevin Federline (Mr Britney Spears), Marvin Gaye Sr (who shot Marvin Gaye Jr), late actor Peter Sellers and – of course – ‘Darth Vader’.
– Stuff” magazine
CAN YOU HURL ON COMMAND?
A 17-year-old Olathe KS high school student has been charged with ‘battery against a school official’ after he allegedly vomited on his Spanish teacher – intentionally. The student claims he was made uncontrollably ill by the stress of final exams but an assistant district attorney says witnesses will corroborate that he performed the act on purpose. If convicted, the kid would face probation. He’s already been expelled from school. (Studio experiment!)
The hot new summer drink in Japan is – vinegar. Several soft drink companies are marketing a wide variety of fruit-flavored vinegar drinks, such as apple, lichee and cranberry. Why would anyone want to drink vinegar? It’s said to be very refreshing. (And you can wash your windows with it first.)
– “Japan Times”
CLEANEST CITIES IN AMERICA:
Based on air & water quality, toxic emissions, hazardous waste and sanitation facilities in the 50 most populous metropolitan areas …
5. San Francisco CA
4. Columbus OH
3. Buffalo NY
2. San Jose CA
1. Portland OR
The USA’s dirtiest city? Chicago (#50).
– “Reader’s Digest”
CONCORDE 2 COMING:
THIS WEEK at the annual “Paris Air Show”, it’s been announced that France and Japan are teaming up to construct a supersonic jet that will succeed the ‘Concorde’. The 2 countries will split the cost of development over the next 3 years. The plane, which could be in operation by 2015, will have 3 times as many seats as the retired supersonic transport, and will fly from Tokyo to NYC in just 6 hours. (Then it’ll take another 6 to get your luggage onto the airport carousel.)
HOW TO MAKE A BETTER BURGER:
• Use meat that is about 20% fat. If the meat is too lean, you’ll end up with dry, tough burgers.
• Wet your hands when shaping burgers, so the meat doesn’t stick to them.
• Don’t squeeze the meat. Form a ball and flatten it gently with the palm of your hand.
• Chill burgers for at least 30 minutes before cooking them.
• Cook burgers over medium-high heat.
• Don’t press the meat with a spatula. It dries out burgers and reduces flavor.
– “Globe & Mail”
BS AMAZING FACT:
Pressing *#06# on your cell phone will produce a serial number that can be used to disable it in case of theft.
AND WE QUOTE:
“Sex doesn’t have to be with a model to be good. Sometimes with the model, the actress or the ‘Sexiest Person in the World’, it may literally be like [doing] the couch.” – Actor Billy Bob Thornton in the JULY edition of “Esquire” magazine, whose “Sexiest Person in the World” last year was Billy Bob’s ex-, Angelina Jolie.
THE BULL SHEET 06.17.2K5
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1946  Barry Manilow (Pincus), Brooklyn NY, oldies singer (Grammy-“I Write the Songs”)
1963  Greg Kinnear, Logansport IN, movie actor (“As Good As It Gets”)
1980  Venus Williams, Lynwood CA, pro tennis player with fastest recorded serve in WTA history (127 mph)/sister of tennis player Serena Williams
SATURDAY’S BIRTHDAYS . . .
Classic rocker Paul McCartney (Beatles) is 63; Movie critic Roger Ebert is 63; Classic rocker Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins) is 48; R&B singer Nathan Morris (Boyz II Men) is 34; Country singer Blake Shelton (“Goodbye Time”) is 29.
SUNDAY’S BIRTHDAYS . . .
Author Salmon Rushdie (“Satanic Verses”) is 58; Classic rocker Ann Wilson (Heart) is 55; Movie actress Kathleen Turner (“Prizzi’s Honor”) is 51; “American Idol” judge Paula Abdul is 43.
BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
TODAY is –
• “Eat Your Vegetables Day”, an observance likely begun by somebody’s mommy somewhere. What’s the absolute worst-tasting veggie? Broccoli? Brussels sprouts? Cabbage? Parsnips?
• “International Violin Day”, celebrating composer Igor Stravinsky’s birth anniversary in 1882. A good day to pluck your G-string.
• “Work@Home Father’s Day”, held the Friday before “Father’s Day” to honor fathers ‘who work from home as a means of providing balance between professional satisfaction and family interaction’.
SATURDAY is –
• “Madam Lou Bunch Day” in Central City CO, the 31st annual celebration of the ‘sporting house girls’ of olden days. Highlights include ‘The Original Bed Race’
• “Splurge Day”, when we’re encouraged to go out and do something totally indulgent.
• “World Juggling Day”, to help spread the fun of juggling and bring jugglers together worldwide.
SUNDAY is –
• “Father’s Day”, first proclaimed by the mayor of Spokane WA 95 years ago (June 19, 1910) at the request of one Louise Smart Dodd. It’s now celebrated in about 20 countries, including Canada, the USA & Britain on the 3rd Sunday of June. An estimated $1 billion is now spent each year on “Father’s Day” gifts.
• “Juneteenth”, begun in Texas as a celebration of emancipation from slavery and recognized as the first genuine African-American holiday.
• “Martini Day”. Recipe for a very dry martini: Take one bottle of gin.
• “World Sauntering Day”, encouraging us to revive the lost Victorian art of the leisurely stroll. On this day you can meander, roam, wander, lollygag, promenade, amble, mosey or rove, but absolutely may not strut, march, sashay, swagger or jog.
THIS WEEKEND Summer Solstice celebrations begin in Canada’s land of the Midnight Sun. Coming up: “Longest Day Weekend” in Whitehorse YT (this weekend); “Summer Solstice Midnight Madness”, Inuvik NT (Monday); “Summer Solstice Festival”, Yellowknife NT (Monday-Friday June 24), including “Raven Mad Daze” (June 24). All will feature music, dance, food & sports – in 24-hour daylight! So how do you ever get to sleep?
PHONER: 867.766.3865 (Summer Solstice Festival)/877.881.4642 (NWT Tourism)
TODAY’S FIRSTS . . .
1946  1st ‘Mobile Telephone Service’ (St Louis MO)
1994  1st ‘World Cup’ of soccer in the USA opens in Chicago IL (eventually won by Brazil)
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1871  7 ft-5.5 in Anne Swan of Nova Scotia weds 7 ft-2.5 in Martin Buren of Kentucky to become ‘World’s Tallest Couple’ (she calls him ‘Shorty’)
COMING UP . . .
[Sat] Hollerin’ Contest (Spivey’s Corner NC)
[Mon] World Refugee Day
[Tues] Summer arrives (2:46 am EDT)
[Tues] Canadian Aboriginal Day
[Tues] Baby Boomers Recognition Day
[Tues] Vegan World Day
[Wed] “Herbie: Fully Loaded” opens in movie theaters
This Week Is . . . Universal Father’s Week
This Month Is . . . Rebuild Your Life Month
BULL’S BITS . . .
BS WHO’S YOUR DADDY QUIZ:
We tell you the famous daddy, you tell us his even more famous offspring …
• British character actor Will Knightley. [Movie actress Keira Knightly.]
• Academy Award-winning actor Jon Voight. [Actress Angelina Jolie.]
• Lee Ferrell, backup musician for the Righteous Bros. [Movie actor Will Ferrell.]
• Jerry Stiller of the comedy team Stiller & Meara. [Movie actor Ben Stiller.]
• Record producer Robert Applegate. [Actress Christina Applegate.]
• Artist Al Hanson. [Rock singer Beck.]
• Model agency mogul John Casablancas. [The Strokes lead singer Julian Casablancas.]
• Oldies singer Lionel Richie. [Former “Simple Life” star Nicole Richie.]
• “Days of Our Lives” actor John Aniston. [Actress Jennifer Aniston.]
• TV director Stephen Gyllenhaal. [Actors Maggie & Jake Gyllenhaal.]
• “Addams Family” actor John Astin. [“Lord of the Rings” actor Sean Astin.]
• Gil Robbins of folk music group The Highwaymen. [Actor Tim Robbins.]
• Late actor/director James Broderick. [Broadway star Matthew Broderick.]
• Former Major League Baseball Commissioner Bart Giamatti. [“Sideways” actor Paul Giamatti.]
• TV news producer Sy Kravitz. [Rocker Lenny Kravitz.]
BS WEB GOODIE:
An online petition is asking for a 2nd Rolling Stones concert in Moncton NB after the 70,000 tickets for the SEPTEMBER 3rd gig sold out within hours. So far, over 25,000 have signed up.
BS PHONE STARTER:
If you could have the world’s largest collection of one thing, what would it be?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Today’s Question: People who work in THIS industry are more likely to engage in an ‘office tryst’.
Answer to Give Out Next Show: Media & entertainment.
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
My father was an amazing man. The older I got, the smarter he got. – Mark Twain