Monday, June 8, 2020 Edition: #6714
Sheet For Brains!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Conor McGregor has dealt the UFC another blow by announcing his third retirement in the space of four years. Hot on the heels of light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones and welterweight contender Jorge Masvidal asking to be released from the UFC, McGregor told ESPN on Sunday: “I’m a bit bored of the game. I’m just not excited about the game….I don’t know what it is. There’s just no buzz for me.” The former featherweight and lightweight champion is unquestionably the biggest draw in mixed martial arts, having been a headliner in the UFC’s three highest grossing pay-per-views and five of the top six.
★ A&E has decided not to run new episodes of “Live PD” on Friday and Saturday, and Paramount Network has delayed the Season 33 launch of “Cops,” the long-running reality series that was scheduled to return tonight. The decision to hold “Live PD” and “Cops” comes as protests over police brutality continue following the killing of George Floyd by Minnesota police officers, shining a spotlight on abuse by law enforcement against African Americans.
★ Abby Lee Miller’s “Dance Moms” spinoff, “Abby’s Virtual Dance Off”, has been canceled in the wake of racist accusations against the reality TV star. It started when she posted a black square for Blackout Tuesday to show her support for the Black Lives Matter movement and was called out by a former contestant’s mother. Adriana Smith, whose daughter competed on Season 8 last year, claimed Miller made racist remarks to her then 7-year-old during filming. Smith wrote: “A statement from her that sticks in my mind to this day during my time on DMS8 is ‘I know you grew up in the HOOD with only a box of 8 crayons, but I grew up in the Country Club with a box of 64 — don’t be stupid.”
★ Jeff Lowe has signed up for his own reality TV show. The “Tiger King” star and his wife, Lauren Lowe – who were recently told they have 120 days to vacate The G.W. Exotic Animal Memorial Park in Oklahoma after Carole Baskin was granted control – are set to star in their own series, which he promises ”will divulge a lot more information about the relationship between” him and Joe Exotic.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Kerry Washington
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): John Oliver, Spike Lee, Benne featuring Gus Dapperton
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Joe Biden (R)
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): JJ Watt, Nicole Byer
• ” The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Matthew Macfadyen, Josh Groban
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Sen. Kamala Harris
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Josh Duhamel, Dr. Greg Yapalater
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Ava DuVernay, John Lewis, Ryan Tedder, Shane McAnally, Ester Dean
• “The Kelly Clarkson Show” (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS): LL Cool J, Christian Siriano, Joel McHale, Octavia Spencer (R)
• “The Bachelor: The Greatest Seasons — Ever!” (ABC): Reliving the dramatic moments of Sean Lowe’s season, including Tierra’s explosive fallout with AshLee, the confrontational hometown visit with Desiree and the devastating moment Lindsay realized she would not be getting the proposal she hoped for.
• “The Titan Games: (NBC): Competitors face off in three-way battles with the winners advancing to a head-to-head challenge; the last athletes standing must defeat reigning Titans Joe Thomas and Dani Speegle on Mt. Olympus to advance to the championship.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Lady Gaga –Her new album “Chromatica” outperformed the rest of the UK Top 10 albums chart combined on its way to becoming her fourth #1 album. It’s the biggest opening week for an album in the UK so far this year.
• Lewis Capaldi — is working on his follow-up to the award-winning “Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent” album, and he has already penned a song in tribute to his new girlfriend Catherine Halliday. A source says he’s “smitten” by her, and as a result, his new songs “are mostly about love again but this time finding it, not losing it.”
• Elton John – has been named the biggest earner in rock music in Forbes’ 2020 list of celebrity incomes. Forbes says he made $81 million in the 12 months up to May 2020, followed by the Rolling Stones ($59 million), Phil Collins ($45 million), Eagles ($41 million), Metallica ($40.5 million) and Bon Jovi ($38 million). (***See “Highest Paid Celebrities”, below***)
• Paul McCartney — is speaking out against racism following the death of George Floyd. He recalled in 1964 when The Beatles refused to play a concert with a segregated audience in Jacksonville, Fla. He said: “It felt wrong. We said ‘We’re not doing that!’” Afterward, the group made sure that playing to non-segregated audiences was part of their contract.
• Pearl Jam — In honor of #WearOrange for National Gun Violence Awareness Day on Friday, they released the uncensored video for their 1992 hit ‘Jeremy’. The powerful clip features a young boy bullied in school and with a hard family life. By the end, turns a gun on himself in front of his class.
• Ratt – Their hit ‘Round and Round’ has returned to the Billboard Top 20 thanks to its appearance in a TV commercial for Geico Insurance. When it was released on their 1984 debut album “Out of the Cellar”, it peaked at #12; last week it reached #18.
• Metallica – Drummer Lars Ulrich says Coachella is the only major festival that they haven’t played. According to him, a few years ago, he was “hellbent” on playing there because he wanted to show his kids that his band was still cool. But now, he says, “My kids stopped going to Coachella, so now it’s not as important.”
• Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton — are among the highest-paid celebrities of 2020, according to Forbes magazine. Bryan comes in at #62 with earnings of earning $45.5 million in the last 12 months. Shelton is at #70, earning an estimated $43.5 million. (***See “Highest Paid Celebrities”, below***)
• Miranda Lambert – recently introduced her chickens to fans in a pair of Tik Tok videos. Among them: Donna Henley, Betty Cocker, Hennifer Lopez, Dolly Part-hen, Pearl Haggard, Willie Nelshen, Chick Jagger, Tanya Clucker, Betty White Meat, Chickira — and Martina McFried.
SCHOOL-WORK FROM HOME:
With many bosses and workers declaring that working from has been a successful experiment during the pandemic, many school administrators might be wishing they could say the same about learning from home. A report from the Wall Street Journal has declared remote learning a “failure”, with both students and teachers receiving failing grades. And parents didn’t fare much better. The newspaper reports that 50 million students in grades K-12 were affected by school closures due to the lockdown. What they found was that there were students with no computers or internet access, teachers had no experience with remote learning, and many parents were unavailable to help. In many instances, students simply didn’t show up online, and administrators had no good way to find out why. What’s more, many districts weren’t requiring students to do any work at all. It is suggested in the report that teachers need better training on remote teaching, and more students need internet and device access.
(Oh…you mean the computer that Mom and Dad are fighting over in order to do THEIR work?)
(I thought kids were BORN with a device in their hands these days…)
FAT CAT, ROUND HOUND:
It seems people aren’t the only ones who are packing on the pounds during the coronavirus quarantine. According to a new survey, about 33% of pets have beefed up since the lockdown started in March. (They asked the owners, not the pets.) The survey, conducted in the US by Wakefield Research, found that 25% of people say their pet has only gained “a little weight”, while 8% said that their furry friends “gained a lot of weight”. How does this happen? 40% of respondents said they are feeding their pets more snacks and treats these days. And similar to humans who are struggling to stick to a regular exercise routine while confined to their homes, it seems that park closures and spending more time indoors are also affecting the waistlines of our pets.
(Yeah, but they don’t have to worry about their pants not fitting!)
(My cat’s getting fatter…but she’s ALWAYS getting fatter!)
(I like this. Because walking a fatter dog makes me look thinner!)
FORBES 2020 HIGHEST-PAID CELEBRITIES:
1. Kylie Jenner ($590 million): Sold 51% of Kylie Cosmetics, pocketed $540 million.
2. Kanye West ($170 million): His deal with Adidas launched him into billionaire-hood.
3. Roger Federer ($106.3 million): The world’s highest-paid athlete for the first time, thanks to a portfolio of lucrative endorsement deals.
4. Christiano Ronaldo ($105 million): $45 million in endorsements didn’t hurt.
5. Lionel Messi ($104 million): $80 million in salary, plus he launched his own clothing line and opened a retail outlet in the past year.
6. Tyler Perry ($97 million): Opened Tyler Perry Studios, a 330-acre property in Atlanta GA, owns 25% of streaming service BET+.
7. Neymar ($95.5 million): The soccer star is currently is on a five-year contract with Paris Saint-Germain worth $350 million. Also has endorsement deals with Beats, Mastercard, Nike and more.
8. Howard Stern ($90 million): The world’s highest-paid radio host thanks to an eight-figure annual contract with SiriusXM.
9. Lebron James ($88.2 million): The 4-time MVP is under a four-year, $153 million contract with the LA Lakers. Also has the NBA’s top endorsement portfolio, as well as his own production company, media company, and owns a pizza chain.
10. Dwayne Johnson ($87.5 million): The world’s highest-paid actor thanks to big paydays for forthcoming films “Black Adam” and “Red Notice.” His Under Armor line “Project Rock” sells clothing, shoes and headphones.
DID YOU KNOW?
Cool Ranch Doritos are coming back to Canada. When the pandemic struck, people not only loaded up on toilet paper, but Doritos stocks as well, leaving store aisles empty. To keep up with demand, the company had to stop making certain flavors to focus on the most popular ones. Doritos cut every flavor other than the most popular three — Nacho Cheese, Sweet Chilli Heat, and Zesty Cheese. Cool Ranch, the fourth most popular flavor, will return to store shelves across the country this month.
BS CHRONOMETER 06.08.20
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1940  Nancy Sinatra, Jersey City NJ, pop singer, (‘These Boots Are Made for Walkin’’), movie actress (“Speedway”)/eldest daughter of Frank Sinatra
1944  (William) “Boz” Scaggs, Canton OH, pop-rock singer-songwriter (‘Lido Shuffle’, ‘Lowdown’)
1951  Bonnie Tyler, Skewen Wales, pop singer (‘Total Eclipse of the Heart’, ‘It’s A Heartache’)
1957  Scott Adams, Windham NY, comic strip cartoonist (“Dilbert”)
1962  Nick Rhodes, Birmingham UK, pop keyboardist (Duran Duran-‘Hungry Like the Wolf’)
1966  Julianna Margulies, Spring Valley NY, TV actress (“The Good Wife” 2009-16, “ER” 1994-2000)
1977  Kanye West, Atlanta GA, rap artist/producer (w/ Rihanna & Paul McCartney-‘FourFiveSeconds’, ‘Stronger’)/fashion mogul (“Yeezy”)/married to Kim Kardashian since 2014
1978  Maria Menounos, Medford MA, TV host (“Extra” 2011-14, “E! News” 2015-17)
1984  Torrey DeVitto, Huntington NY, TV actress (‘Melissa Hastings’ on “Pretty Little Liars” 2010-17, “The Vampire Diaries” 2012-13)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Best Friend Day”, a day to salute our BFFs for being there … when nobody else is.
• “Name Your Poison Day”, Let’s say you can have all you want of one ‘bad-for-you’ thing for the rest of your life without any repercussions. Which would you pick? (Or, rather, which brand of bacon would you pick?)
• “Upsy Daisy Day”, encouraging us to face the day positively and to get up ‘gloriously, gratefully and gleefully’ each morning. (Another observance from the Society of the Hopelessly Optimistic.)
• “World Brain Tumor Day”, a day of awareness of the malady that’s killed off almost as many soap opera stars as heart attacks.
• “World Oceans Day”, a UN observance to honor our oceans, their marine life, and their sea-lanes that enable international trade.
• “Jelly Filled Donut Day” (in case you forgot to enjoy one of these on “Donut Day” Friday), a real challenge might be to see who can eat one without making a mess! (***See “BS Odd Donut Flavors”, below***)
COMING UP . . .
[Tues] Donald Duck Day
[Tues] Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Day
[Wed] Ballpoint Pen Day
[Wed] Iced Tea Day
This Week Is…National Little League Week
This Month Is…Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1984  The legendary supernatural comedy film “Ghostbusters”, starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, is released
2018  Celebrity chef and TV personality Anthony Bourdain (“No Reservations”, “Parts Unknown”), commits suicide by hanging at 61
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2008  “Rolling Stone” lists the ‘Top 50 Guitar Songs of All-Time’ (top 5, in order, are ‘Johnny B Goode’, ‘Purple Haze’, ‘Crossroads’, ‘You Really Got Me’, and ‘Brown Sugar’)
2012  Lauryn Hill is charged with willfully failing to file income tax returns
TODAY’S FIRSTS . . .
1869  Ives W. McGaffey of Chicago patents the first vacuum cleaner, calls it a “sweeping machine”
1966  NFL and AFL football leagues announce their merger. They officially merged before the 1970 season to form one league with two conferences
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ One in 10 people in the world lives on an island.
✓ Lettuce is 97% water, tomatoes 95% and bread 30%.
✓ According to research, most online daters contact people bearing no resemblance to the characteristics they say they want in a partner.
✓ By walking an extra 20 minutes every day, an average person will burn off 7 pounds (3.18kg) of body fat per year.
✓ A study found that people spend more time searching for lost items in uncluttered areas than in messy areas.
✓ The first Ford cars had Dodge engines.
Friday was “Donut Day” and here are some…
BS ODD DONUT FLAVORS:
• Toothpaste & Orange Juice
• Thousand Island
• Murder Hornet Honeydip
• Pencil Shavings
• “Everything” donuts
BS WEDDING DOS AND DON’TS:
• Do: Marry for Love. Don’t: Marry for money. Unless, of course, there is no prenup.
• Do: Throw rice. Don’t: Throw Jerry Rice.
• Do: Dress nice. Don’t: Wear a better wedding dress than the bride. In fact, don’t wear a wedding dress. Trust me.
• Do: Get to the ceremony on time. Don’t: Call out during the ceremony, “I give it six months!”
• Do: Help write your own vows. Don’t: Object during your own ceremony.
• Do: Invite people you know and love. Don’t: Register for intimate toys at Sears.
• Do: Be involved during the planning. Don’t: Ask the bride, “Are you really wearing that?”
• Do: Bring a date to the wedding. Don’t: If you’re the groom.
• Do: Dance. Don’t: Have a choreographed wedding entrance dance. It’s probably not going to go viral.
• Don’t. Just don’t
-Twitter, first published in BS in 2018
TODAY’S SLICE OF BS:
➠ Comcast/Xfinity had a major state-wide outage last week affecting millions of people. (Internet was so slow, I had to resort to walking downstairs to tell the kids it was time for dinner!)
➠ George Floyd protesters shut down major NYC highways. (It was bumper-to-bumper with drivers shouting obscenities, shaking fists, and pounding their dashboards. Then the protest started…)
➠ Anonymous hackers have threatened to ‘expose the many crimes’ of the Minneapolis Police. (Fore mote, tune into CNN for the next 8,000 hours)
➠ A poll has revealed the top things women worry about regarding their appearance. (They include hair loss, sagging skin, their hips, belly and, of course, being seen in public with a burned out insecure radio announcer…)
➠ UFC star Rachael Ostovich posed in a bikini for a photoshoot. (There were no survivors)
BS WEB GOODIE:
Counter productive: https://vm.tiktok.com/EuV6Sn/
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Is it still procrastination if, really, I’m never going to do it?
BS PHONE STARTER:
If you could live the life of ANY person dead or alive for 24 hours, who would you pick?
BS U-PICK TRIVIA:
• What is the largest organ in the human body?
c) skin [CORRECT]
• What device is used to help musicians stay with the beat?
b) metronome [CORRECT]
• Dropping WHAT into a 2 liter of coke will create a soda bottle volcano?
a) Tic Tacs
b) Mentos [CORRECT]
d) Life Savers
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: THIS is the most popular nickname given to newborn babies. What is it?
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
NOW ON OUR SHEET LIST:
Welcome back Gruff Gushnowski @ The One, Stony Plain AB, and new subscribers Fawn Conley @ 105.1 The Bounce, Detroit MI; Craig Fox @ Jewel 92, Brantford ON; Julie Roark @ Hangout Radio, Daphne AR