Tomorrow’s Show Prep Today!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ 31-year-old reality TV star Mike ‘The Situation’ Sorrentino has been charged with assault following an alleged altercation at his family-owned Boca tanning salon in New Jersey. Police say officers responded to a 911 call describing a fight in progress at the salon. Upon arrival, the officers arrested the former “Jersey Shore” star for simple assault. He was processed and released after posting $500 bail. A court hearing is yet to be scheduled.
★ 38-year-old TV actress Mayim Bialik has reunited with her “Blossom” co-stars Joey Lawrence, Jenna von Oy, and Michael Stoyanov 19 years after the show went off-air. The castmates came together this week to shoot new promotional material for the 1991-95 teen sitcom, which has just been picked up by Hub Network for syndication. Bialik, who now stars in “The Big Bang Theory”, claims on Twitter that they ‘still look like young whippersnappers’.
★ And Dr Dre sure seems to be spreading his good fortune around since selling Beats by Dre to Apple. First he snaps up Tom Brady & Gisele Bundchen’s mega-mansion in LA; now we hear he’s become a mega-tipper. After partying with tequila shots at the Skybar in West Hollywood’s Mondrian Hotel recently, he dropped the waitress a $5,000 tip. Earlier in the night, the newly-minted billionaire attended the ‘Full Moon Bazaar’ in the hotel, picking up a pricey Mac & Lou bracelet for his wife, Nicole Threatt.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Conan” (TBS/CTV) – Atmosphere (“Southsiders”).
• “Critics’ Choice Television Awards” (CW) – Cedric the Entertainer hosts the 4th annual gala honoring TV excellence, live from LA’s Beverly Hilton Hotel.
• “Ellen DeGeneres Show” (syndicated/CTV2) – Miley Cyrus (“Bangerz”). Rerun.
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/CityTV) – Linkin Park (“The Hunting Party”).
• “Late Show With David Letterman” (CBS/Omni1) – John Doe (“The Best Of John Doe: This Far”).
• “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV2) – Pitbull (“We Are One”).
• “The View” (ABC/CTV) – Sam Smith (“In The Lonely Hour”).
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo) – Jennifer Lopez (“A.K.A.”).
• “Wendy Williams” (syndicated) – Jennifer Lopez again.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Brad Paisley – He’s written & recorded 2 new songs for the soundtrack of the animated movie sequel “Planes: Fire & Rescue” (out July 18th). One song, “All In”, is extra special he says as it pays tribute to his father and several other family members who are career firefighters.
• Justin Bieber – Seems he & Selena Gomez are back on again, spotted this week on the beach with friends in California before attending a pal’s birthday celebration at LA club Bootsy Bellows. This comes a week after Bieber posted and then deleted an Instagram pic of them captioned: ‘Our love is Unconditional’. They began dating in 2010, then parted ways in 2013.
• Katy Perry – She’s teamed up with her record company Capitol to launch her own label, Metamorphosis Music. And the new imprint has already signed its first artist, singer-songwriter Ferras Alqaisi.
• Lorde – The 17 year-old’s parents have finally become engaged after a 30-year relationship. She’s revealed on Twitter this week that her father, Vic O’Connor, proposed to her mother, Sonja Yelich, while visiting the ‘Honeymoon Capital Of the World’, Niagara Falls.
• Madonna – The 55-year-old has been having a ‘fling’ with 26-year-old dancer Timor Steffens since January, according to friends. This comes after she split with previous fling, 25-year-old Brahim Zaibat, 6 months ago. She and her new beau attended a preview of “Holler If Ya Hear Me” on Broadway this week.
• Paramore / Fall Out Boy – Tonight their 34-show North American “Monumentour” kicks off in Hartford CT, with shows scheduled through August 17th in Concord CA. New Politics is the opening act for all dates.
• Queen w/Adam Lambert – After performing together in several one-off shows, they’ve now decided to do a full tour together. The 19-date North American trek gets underway tonight in Chicago IL and continues through July 20th in Washington DC.
• Sam Smith – The 22-year-old Brit singer-songwriter says of his debut album: “It’s called ‘In the Lonely Hour’ because it’s about loneliness, and the purest form of loneliness you can find because I’ve never been in a relationship.” Aww.
• Tim McGraw – The 47-year-old country star tells the new issue of “Men’s Health” he knew he needed to get sober when his kids began noticing his alcohol & drug abuse. He curbed his wild ways in 2008 after a stark warning from wife Faith Hill that he was about to ‘lose everything’.
A BS selection of movies in the making …
• “Master Class” – 64-year-old Meryl Streep has signed on to portray opera legend Maria Callas in this HBO film. It’s based on Terrence McNally’s 1995 Broadway play about the iconic diva teaching students at NYC’s elite music school Juilliard in 1971. Mike Nichols (“Silkwood”, “Angels in America”) is set to direct when cameras begin rolling in January.
• “Scooby-Doo” – Warner Bros is said to be developing a reboot of the live-action comedy more than a decade after the first screen adaptation of the iconic Hanna-Barbera cartoon. The 2002 film, which starred Freddie Prinze Jr & Sarah Michelle Gellar, spawned the 2004 sequel “Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed”. The new adventure will reportedly ‘start from scratch’.
• “Straight Outta Compton” – Newcomers Marcus Callender and Jason Mitchell have been cast to play Dr Dre and Eazy-E in this project that tells the story of rap group NWA’s rise to fame in the late 1980s and their subsequent split in 1991. Ice Cube’s son O’Shea Jackson Jr is being tapped to play a younger version of his pop. Principal photography begins this August.
• “Voice From the Stone” – “Game of Thrones” star Emilia Clarke (‘Daenerys Targaryen’) is set to headline this indie psychological thriller based on the Italian novel “La Voce Della Pietra” by Silvio Raffo. Clarke plays a nurse who’s helping a boy through the trauma of his mother’s sudden death in 1950s Tuscany. Filming begins this November in Italy.
A new survey of 1,000 women aged 35-to-44 confirms that women really do love their shoes … perhaps in ways that are a little surprising. A sampling of the findings …
• 20% admit they’re more ‘aroused’ by new shoes than by their significant others.
• 50% admit to judging someone else based on their shoes (half were negative).
• Half of women are willing to lie about what they really paid for their shoes.
• 32% buy 4-to-7 pairs of shoes annually (a total of about 500 pairs in a lifetime).
• 25% won’t quit wearing heels, no matter the pain (even if it means popping a pill for relief).
(Some women are now resorting to surgery in order to wear designer heels.)
WHERE WE WANT TO WORK:
The latest yearly ranking by LinkedIn of the most in-demand companies to work for in North America …
(Presumably this listing doesn’t include feasting at the government trough as a life-long civil servant. Isn’t that everyone’s dream?)
Using Kinect to order pizza is so last year … soon you’ll be able to grab a pie with a ‘Siri’-like virtual assistant. Domino’s has just announced it’s launching a beta test of a new voice-ordering tool for its mobile apps, which should make the process of getting a pizza even easier. The pie-maker claims the service ‘delivers a human-like, conversational customer service experience’ that should speed up the ordering process compared to dealing with an actual human. Nicknamed ‘Dom’, the assistant is able to recognize natural speech patterns; you simply tell it you want to order a pizza; it responds by asking: “What kind?” Currently mobile and online orders make up about 40% of Domino’s sales. (How freakin’ lazy are we becoming?)
BS AMAZING FACT:
According to a recent Reuters/Ipsos poll, only 7% of Americans say they’ll follow the 2014 World Cup tournament closely; two-thirds don’t expect to watch it at all. (Of course, this was just before the USA actually won a game.)
BS CHRONOMETER 06.19.14
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1954  Kathleen Turner, Springfield MO, movie actress (“Romancing the Stone”, “Body Heat”)/stage actress (“Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”) UP NEXT: The movie sequel “Dumb and Dumber To”, opening November 14th.
1962  Paula Abdul, Van Nuys CA, TV personality (“The X Factor” 2011, “American Idol” 2002-10)/pop singer (1988 Grammy-“Opposites Attract”)
1970  Brian ‘Head’ Welch, Torrance CA, nu metal guitarist (KoRn-“Here to Stay”, “Freak On a Leash”)
1972  Jean Dujardin, Rueil-Malmaison, France, movie actor (“Monuments Men”, “The Wolf of Wall Street”)/1st Frenchman to win an Academy Award for ‘Best Actor’ (“The Artist”, 2012)
1975  Poppy Montgomery, Sydney, Australia, TV actress (‘Carrie Wells’ on “Unforgettable” since 2011, “Without a Trace” 2002-09)
1975  Hugh Dancy, Stoke-on-Trent UK, TV actor (‘Will Graham’ on “Hannibal” since 2013)/wed to actress Claire Danes since 2009
1978  Zoe Saldana, Passaic NJ, movie actress (“Star Trek Into Darkness”, “Avatar”) COMING UP: “Guardians Of the Galaxy”, opening August 1st.
1983  Macklemore (Ben Haggerty), Seattle WA, rapper (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis-“Can’t Hold Us”, “Thrift Shop”)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Garfield the Cat Day”, honoring Jim Davis’ fat cat comic strip on the anniversary of its 1978 debut in newspapers. (Big fat hairy deal.)
• “Martini Day”. Recipe for a very dry martini: Take 1 bottle of gin.
• “Recess at Work Day”, an excuse to take a break, play some games, try an innovative exercise, work on improving employee morale. Hey, it works for kids … why not you?
• “World Sauntering Day”, a day to ‘revive the art of Victorian sauntering, and discourage jogging, lollygagging, sashaying, fast walking, and trotting’. It’s “Martini Day”, can we stumble?
• “World Sickle Cell Day”, to create awareness of the most frequent genetic disease worldwide. It’s estimated a half-million babies are born with the condition each year. 50% die before age 5.
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2013  Former “Sopranos” star James Gandolfini dies of a heart attack at age 51 in Rome, Italy
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENT . . .
1981  13-year-old singing phenom Celine Dion makes her TV debut, in Québec
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
1954  ‘Tasmanian Devil’ (‘Taz’) makes his 1st appearance, in the Warner Bros animated film “Devil May Hare”
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1988  In Santa Barbara CA, a team of 32 divers finishes cycling underwater on a standard tricycle, to complete 116.66 miles (187.8 km) in 75 hours, 20 minutes
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Fri] Take Your Dog to Work Day
[Fri] World Productivity Day
[Fri] World Refugee Day
[Sat] Summer begins
[Sat] Global Orgasm Day
[Sat] World Handshake Day
[Sun] Global Smurfs Day
This Week Is … Appreciate Your Plumbing, Heating & Cooling Professional Week
This Month Is … Rebuild Your Life Month
MORE LESSER-KNOWN LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE:
You’ve likely heard of Newton’s Law of Gravity, but have you heard of these uncommon laws of physics?
• You will always turn on the ceiling fan when you want to turn on the light, and vice versa.
• A cat will always prefer the box that the bed came in to the bed itself.
• The drawstring on your favorite hoodie will always slip out of place in the laundry.
• Two pillows will always be too high. One pillow will never be high enough.
• Cold butter will always tear untoasted bread.
• You will always squirt gross, yellowish water onto your burger before you get actual mustard out of the container.
• The wind will always blow the smoke from a campfire in your face, regardless of where you sit.
• A deodorant stick near the end of its lifespan will always fly out of the tube and onto the floor.
• Whenever you print an email, it will print as 2 pages: One with what you want, another with a “Think Before You Print” reminder.
• Your butt will only ever feel itchy in the presence of others.
– Adapted from BuzzFeed.com
BS PHONE STARTER:
☎ The hashtag #ReplaceMovieTitleWithSausage is currently trending on Twitter. A few users’ suggestions (some appear with custom movie poster artwork) …
“The Sausage In Our Stars”
“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Sausage”
“The Sausage Games (There Can Only Be One Wiener)”
“The Sausage of Wall Street”
“Sausage Wars (May the Fork Be With You)”
“Sausage On a Plane”
“The 40-Year-Old Sausage”
What about starting up #ReplaceSongTitleWithSausage?
BS U-PICK TRIVIA:
Which of the following does the Sardinian cheese ‘Casu Marzu’ contain?
a. Black olives.
b. Cat milk.
c. Live maggots. [CORRECT. They jump up to 5 inches out of the cheese while you’re eating it, so it’s a good idea to shield it with your hand to prevent them getting in your eyes.]
BS RANDOM JOKE:
I used to be a bank teller. That was a great job. I was bringing home $450,000 a week.
6-of-the-top-10 songs on the current “Billboard” magazine ‘Hot 100’ chart have single-word titles: “Fancy”; “Problem”; “Wiggle”; “Happy”; “Rude”; “Summer” . Some sort of record?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: 2012 was the first year more women than men purchased one of THESE.
Answer: A tattoo.
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Don’t worry about what people think; they don’t do it very often.