Tuesday, June 4, 2019 Edition: #6465
You Really Know Your Sheet!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ IKEA is bringing some of the most iconic TV show living rooms to life. You’ll finally have your chance to re-create rooms from “Friends,” “The Simpsons” and even “Stranger Things.” The United Arab Emirates-based campaign is called “IKEA Real Life”, and will be on display at some of their stores in the Middle East. The company put together the rooms and linked each product on its website. “The Simpsons” room is described as a room for “families,” while the “Friends” room is for “mates” and the “Stranger Things” one is for “everyone.”
★ “Game of Thrones” fans have once again rallied behind one of the show’s stars, this time raising money for Kit Harington‘s campaign in support of one of his favorite charities. Fans of the show and Harington’s character, Jon Snow, have created a JustGiving account for the U.K. charity “Royal Mencap Society” which at last check had already raised over $45,6000 toward a goal of $63,000. Mencap supports people with learning disabilities to live independent and fulfilling lives.
★ Colin Farrell says he had to redo a scene from the 2002’s sci-fi drama “Minority Report” over 50 times because he was suffering from a terrible hangover that day. Farrell says: ”I asked them with a great array of arrogance that they not work me the day after my birthday. I said, ‘Please don’t have me working on June 1st, because my birthday is May 31st.’ I thought a 100-million-dollar film would at least listen to that request … but I worked. It was a rough night and I didn’t get any sleep.” Farrell says his sister was on-set that day and had to leave after he had blown the scene 56 times.
★ Christina Hendricks is officially on Instagram! The “Mad Men” and “Good Girls” actress made her grand debut on the social media platform Thursday with a simple selfie and the caption: “Hello world.” I’m here with a little help from my friends. Let’s do this.” Aside from her continuing role on Good Girls, Hendricks is also poised to play a creepy doll named ‘Gabby Gabby’ in the upcoming Pixar movie “Toy Story 4.”
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Sophie Turner, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, Jessica Chastain, Nicholas Hoult, Tye Sheridan, Aloe Blacc
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Lin-Manuel Miranda, the cast of “Hamilton”, José Andrés, Bad Bunny, José Feliciano & Ozuna (R)
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Emma Thompson, Adam Scott
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Bryan Cranston, Eric Stonestreet, Chromeo, Sebastian Thomson (R)
• “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Isla Fisher, Chiwetel Ejiofor, the Jonas Brothers (R)
• “Conan” (TBS): Chelsea Handler, Rhys Nicholson
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Erika Jayne, Paris Hilton (R)
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Rep. Eric Swalwell, Wanda Sykes
• “The Talk” (CBS): Gwen Stefani, guest co-host Brigitte Nielsen
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Damian Lewis, Dan White
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Harrison Ford, Dr. Ruth Westheimer, Emily Bear
• “Masterchef Junior” (FOX): Season 7 finale
• “Dance Moms” (LIFETIME): Season 8 premiere
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Ed Sheeran – is apparently getting ready to show his self-professed “dad bod” in a new video. He shared a pic of himself in a tank top and sweatband with the caption: “New fitness video coming soon – get ripped or die tryin.”
• Jennifer Lopez – is preparing to embark on her “It’s My Party” tour, and says: “I’m just excited to be able to put something so elaborate together for this moment. It’ll be something that I know I’ll never forget, and I hope people will never forget, too.” The tour kicks off on Friday at The Forum in Los Angeles.
• ‘NSync — June is Pride Month, and Lance Bass, who came out as gay in a People cover story in 2006, says he thinks “we are definitely in a time where we can have an openly gay boy band member and complete band. Times have completely changed.”
• Elton John – His songwriting partner of 50 years, Bernie Taupin, always hated one of Elton’s biggest hits. Taupin says of ‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart’, a 1976 duet with Kiki Dee: “I hated it, and it was the biggest single we had in Europe…But Elton always ignores me when I say I don’t like a song. He always knows better than me.”
• Motley Crüe – have shared a new video featuring classic footage for the song ‘Take Me To The Top’, which comes from their debut studio album “Too Fast For Love”. Nikki Sixx says, “The original footage for this video was shot before we even had a record deal in 1981 and seeing it juxtaposed with the footage from the (“The Dirt”) movie in 2019, is something I don’t think any of us ever saw coming.”
• Kid Rock – has added country legend Hank Williams Jr. to a handful of his live dates in late September and early October. The two long-time friends also famously paired up for 2012’s ‘Redneck Paradise’. Tickets go on sale Friday for shows in Charlotte, Atlanta, St. Louis and near Chicago.
• Maren Morris — told her audience at London’s Royal Albert Hall on Friday that she had someone special set to join her that evening, and she wasn’t kidding. Niall Horan, whom she dueted with for his ‘Seeing Blind’, surprised the crowd with his guitar and a big smile as the pair harmonized on the 2017 hit. Horan praised the show on Instagram, calling Morris his “buddie” and raving “What an amazing show!”
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO RELEASES:
• “A Madea Family Funeral” (PG-13, Comedy): A joyous family reunion becomes a hilarious nightmare as Madea and the crew travel to backwoods Georgia, where they find themselves unexpectedly planning a funeral that might unveil unsavory family secrets. (Tyler Perry, Cassi Davis)
• “Gloria Bell” (R-Rated, Comedy/Romance): Gloria is a free-spirited divorcée who spends her days at a strait-laced office job and her nights on the dance floor, joyfully letting loose at clubs around Los Angeles. After meeting Arnold, she finds herself thrust into an unexpected new romance, filled with both the joys of budding love and the complications of dating, identity and family. (Sean Astin, Julianne Moore)
• “The Kid” (R-Rated, Drama/Western): A young boy is forced to go on the run across the American Southwest in a desperate attempt to save his sister from his villainous uncle. Along the way, he encounters Sheriff Pat Garrett, on the hunt for the infamous outlaw Billy the Kid. (Jake Schur, Chris Pratt)
MONEY CAN’T BUY HAPPINESS – BEING BROKE CAN’T BUY ANYTHING:
A Harvard professor says that if you think winning the lottery will make you happy, forget it. Professor of medicine Dr. Sanjiv Chopra spoke at a recent TED Talk and said that research shows that winning a $20 million lottery only provides a temporary boost to an individual’s level of happiness. He said: “After one year, lottery winners go back to their baseline (happiness level). Some are even less happy.” Here are the four things that Chopra says have been scientifically linked to happiness:
1. Friends and family: Developing a close bond with people we trust and confide in is essential to our overall well-being. Research has showed that social isolation can be as damaging to health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. (Plus, you have lots of time on your hands to smoke even more cigarettes!)
2. Forgiveness: Chopra says that the ability to forgive frees you from the burdens of hate and other unhealthy emotions which can negatively impact your happiness.
3. Giving: Getting involved with charities and donating money to help others is one of the most fulfilling ways to spend your time and money. People who volunteer experience greater happiness, higher self-esteem and a lower mortality rate. (I give of my talents. Or I will just as soon as I find out what they are!)
4. Gratitude: It can be as simple as saying “I’m grateful” at least once a day. A study found that doing so can help people savor positive experiences, cope with stressful circumstances and strengthen relationships.
(OK, if I won the lottery, it might not make ME happy, but it sure would make the people I owe money happy!)
BEST REAL COVER BAND NAMES:
(and the group they pay tribute to…)
☞ Pretend Pretenders – The Pretenders
☞ Alanis MoreOrLess – Alanis Morissette
☞ Dixie Chicklets – Dixie Chicks
☞ Shania Twin – Shania Twain
☞ Duran Duran Duran – Duran Duran
☞ Proxy Music – Roxy Music
☞ The Faux Fighters – The Foo Fighters
☞ Illegal Eagles — Eagles
☞ Oasish — Oasis
☞ The Rolling Clones – The Rolling Stones
☞ Bjorn Again — ABBA
DID YOU KNOW?
MacKenzie Bezos, who is worth more than $36 billion after divorcing Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, has announced that she will give at least half of her fortune to charity. Her promise came with her signing of the “Giving Pledge”, an initiative of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett, which encourages the world’s richest people to donate more than half of their wealth to charitable causes.
(Hey! They said MORE than half!)
BS WEB GOODIE:
The B-KISSty2s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vWMPhnBmGF0
BS CHRONOMETER 06.04.19
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1936  Bruce Dern, Chicago IL, movie actor (“Nebraska”, “Django Unchained”)/father of actress Laura Dern
1974  Stefan Lessard, Anaheim CA, alt-rock bassist (Dave Matthews Band-‘What Would You Say’, ‘Don’t Drink the Water’)
1975  Russell Brand, Grays UK, movie actor (“Despicable Me 2”, “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”)/comedian (“Live in New York City”)/wed to pop singer Katy Perry 2010-12
1975  Angelina Jolie (Voight), LA CA, movie actress (“Maleficent”, Oscar-“Girl, Interrupted”)/movie director (“Unbroken”)/married to Brad Pitt 2014-19 COMING UP…”Maleficent: Mistress of Evil”, 2019
1976  Kasey Chambers, Mount Gambier, South Australia, country singer-songwriter (‘Nothing at All’, ‘Not Pretty Enough’)
1978  Josh McDermitt, Phoenix AZ, TV actor (‘Eugene’ on “The Walking Dead” since 2014)
1981  TJ Miller, Denver CO, comedian/TV actor (“Silicon Valley” 2014-17)/movie actor (“Transformers: Age of Extinction”, “Office Christmas Party”)
1985  Bar Refaeli, Hod HaSharon, Israel, fashion model (“Sports Illustrated”, “Maxim”)/TV host (“X Factor Israel” since 2013)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Cheese Day”, celebrated on the anniversary of the creation of the first Roquefort cheese, made from ewes’ milk and ripened in a cave near Roquefort, France in the year 1070. It’s the perfect excuse to indulge yourself with a slice of your favorite. (If I could just get this wrapper off…)
• “Hug Your Cat Day”, a day to realize that felines need affection even though they act like they don’t want it.
• “Old Maid’s Day”, a truly outdated observance initiated in 1948 for unmarried women over age 35. Nowadays 35 is when a woman begins THINKING about having kids (and when a man begins thinking about DATING kids).
• “Shopping Cart Day”, invented in 1937 by Oklahoma’s Sylvian Goldman (next day, 27 of them are found abandoned behind his apartment building)
• “International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression”, a UN observance established in 1982. There are approximately 50 million uprooted refugees around-the-world who have sought safety in another country. Around half of them are children.
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Wed] Global Running Day
[Wed] Hot Air Balloon Day
[Thurs] National Yo-yo Day
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2004  “Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban” opens in movie theaters (goes on to earn almost $800 million worldwide)
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2012  Queen Elizabeth II’s “Diamond Jubilee Concert” (60th anniversary on the throne) is held outside Buckingham Palace in London. Performers include Annie Lennox, Ed Sheeran, Elton John, Jessie J, Kylie Minogue, Paul McCartney, Robbie Williams and Tom Jones
2017  Ariana Grande hosts the “One Love Manchester” benefit concert to honor the victims of the terrorist bombing at her May 22 concert at the Manchester Arena, which killed 22 people. The show takes place at the Old Trafford Cricket Ground, about three miles from the arena, and also features Coldplay, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, and Katy Perry
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
2011  China’s Li Na becomes the 1st Asian tennis player to win a major tournament, the French Open women’s title
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1988  The world record for ‘Hacky Sack’ (foot bag) is set at 48,825 consecutive kicks
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ The word “PEZ” comes from the German word for peppermint—PfeffErminZ.
✓ When the computer mouse was invented, it was called the “X-Y Position Indicator for a Display System.”
✓ The duffel bag gets its name from the town of Duffel, Belgium, where the cloth used in the bags was originally sold.
✓ Lyme disease is named after the town of Lyme, Connecticut, where several cases were identified in 1975.
✓ The ‘Q’ in “Q-tips” stands for quality.
✓ After an online vote in 2011, Toyota announced that the official plural of Prius was “Prii.”
BS MAKE A QUOTE MILLENNIAL:
• “To thine own selfie be true.”
• “To Bae or not to bae.”
• “If at first you don’t succeed, swipe, swipe again.”
• “Frankly my dear, I can’t even.”
• “Toto, I have feeling we’re not in Starbucks anymore.”
• “Show me the Bitcoin.”
• “We’re gonna need a bigger phone.”
• “A stitch in time saves screen time.”
• “Photoshop twice, post once.”
• “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because you Snapchatted every minute of it.”
• “Your Mom’s basement, or mine?”
Best of BS . . .
BS WAYS TO GET OUT OF MOWING THE LAWN THIS WEEKEND:
• Put a ‘For Sale’ sign on the lawnmower. Let everybody who comes by take a test drive.
• Kill half the grass, let the other half grow long. Do a ‘comb over’.
• Mount your entire yard on a giant hydraulic platform. Lower it 1 inch per week.
• Tell your wife you can’t stand the screams of the poor defenseless blades of grass, then go sit in a corner gently rocking back and forth.
• Have a kid. Wait 10 years. Make him do it.
-First published in ‘BS’ in 2015
BS FAST 5 GAME:
Your contestant has 5 seconds to name a 5-letter thing that fits in each of the 5 categories …
✓ Planets [Earth or Venus]
✓ Oscar-winning ‘Best Pictures’ [“Crash”, “Rocky”, “Marty”, or “Wings”]
✓ Months of the Year [March or April]
✓ Snow White’s 7 Dwarfs [‘Happy’ or ‘Dopey’]
✓ “Brady Bunch” children [‘Bobby’, ‘Cindy’, or ‘Peter’]
BS PHONE STARTER:
What should totally be legal that currently isn’t? (Jaywalking? Naked sunbathing? Carrying your drink through airport security?)
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: People are three times more likely to do THIS when they’re alone. What is it?
Answer: Sing off-key
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother.