Tuesday, March 7, 2023 – Edition: #7432
You’re Fulla Sheet!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Ryan Seacrest’s departure from “Live With Kelly and Ryan” was definitely a surprise, but there may be a reason that hasn’t been clear until now. The Blast reports that producers at “Good Morning America” and ABC News are considering having the “American Idol” star replace T.J. Holmes and Amy Robach. The former “GMA3” hosts were fired from the network after their affair was revealed. Sources say that Seacrest is being courted for the role, with an offer to support his needs on the show and highlight his strengths, whether he hosts the show alone or with a co-host. If this happens, it’ll be the second time Kelly Ripa lost a co-host to Good Morning America, following Michael Strahan.
★ Hoda Kotb returned to the “TODAY” show yesterday, after being away for the past few weeks to tend to a personal matter. The co-anchor told viewers that her 3-year-old daughter, Hope, had been ill, but is back home now. At the top of the show, Kotb said that Hope had been “in the ICU for a few days and in the hospital for a little more than a week”, but she’s grateful to have her daughter home now, and “we are watching her closely.”
★ Pete Davidson and his girlfriend, Chase Sui Wonders, crashed their car into a Beverly Hills home Saturday night, police have confirmed. The “Saturday Night Live” alum had been driving a Mercedes-Benz “at a high rate of speed” around 11 pm when he jumped a curb in the Flats neighborhood, according to a report. Davidson reportedly also hit a fire hydrant and skidded across the front lawn before slamming into the corner of the house. Photos of the site show the siding on one corner of the home was broken and pushed inward. Neither was apparently injured, and police are still investigating.
★ King Charles III has officially extended an olive branch to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle — asking them to be among the guests at his Coronation, but the couple’s staying non-committal – at least for now. His Royal Highness sent an invite Saturday, according to reports. A rep for Harry and Meghan has confirmed that “The Duke has recently received email correspondence from His Majesty’s office regarding the coronation” but a “decision on whether The Duke and Duchess will attend will not be disclosed by us at this time.”
★ Bruce Willis’ wife Emmy Heming Willis has made an emotional plea to paparazzi to stop yelling or otherwise distracting her husband to get his attention. In an IG video, she asked “photographers and video people that are trying to get those exclusives of my husband out and about: Just keep your space. I know this is your job, but maybe just keep your space.” She also asked that people don’t yell at him or ask how he’s doing, and avoid “the woohoo-ing and the yippee ki yays” in order to “give our family or whoever’s with him that day to be able to get him from point A to point B safely.” Her post video came after an outing was hampered by media attempting to capture a rare public appearance by Willis, who has been diagnosed with dementia.
★ Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck can’t make up their minds – they’ve pulled the plug on the Pacific Palisades home which they seemed set on buying for $34.5 million. TMZ says the couple were supposed to close escrow on Friday, but just before it was signed, sealed and delivered, they pulled out. Why? Sources say they are now in escrow on another house – and at least one home they viewed last week is listed for more than twice what they were spending on the one that they just bailed on. That would put it near $70 million.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Michael B. Jordan, Blake Shelton, Coi Leray (R)
• “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Adam Driver, Ana Gasteyer, Macklemore featuring Morray
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): James Taylor, and Eva Longoria
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Ike Barinholtz, Melissa Barrera, Margaret Atwood, Urian Hackney
• “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Hong Chau, Stephen Sanchez
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Jimmy Fallon, Paula Faris
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Jerry O’Connell, Margaret Josephs
• “The Daily Show” (COM): Guest host Marlon Wayans
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Margo Martindale, Sarah Ferguson
• “The Kelly Clarkson Show” (Check local listings): Shania Twain, Chris Powell
• “The Drew Barrymore Show” (Check local listings): Christine Taylor
• “Jennifer Hudson Show” (Check local listings): Boris Kodjoe
• “The Voice” (NBC): Blind auditions part 2
• “Blood & Money” (CNBC): Series premiere. Law enforcement elites join forces when a murder in Beverly Hills connects back to one of the most notorious names in American history, Robert Durst.
• “That’s My Jam” (NBC): Season 2 premiere. Celeb guests Jason Derulo, Nicole Scherzinger, Kelsea Ballerini and Julia Michaels.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Ed Sheeran – The National’s Aaron Dessner has revealed that he helped write and produce Ed Sheeran’s upcoming album “-” (out May 5). On Instagram, he wrote that when the 2 met up to collaborate, they “finished over 30 songs together in a week”. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/5bw77z4n
• Justin Bieber – made a surprise appearance during Don Toliver’s Rolling Loud California gig on Sat. night, performing ‘Private Landing’. It was Bieber’s first public performance since Sept., at Brazil’s Rock in Rio, and was especially surprising, considering just days earlier he canceled his long-postponed Justice World Tour with about 80 shows to go.
• Def Leppard – has shared an 8-minute behind-the-scenes video featuring footage from concerts in Mexico City (Feb. 18) and Monterrey (Feb. 21). The group’s co-headlining “The World Tour” with Mötley Crüe is hitting Latin America and Europe, and hits the US in August. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/3bubptpb
• U2 – has shared a stripped-back, piano-led version of their 2000 hit ‘Beautiful Day’. It’s another preview of their “Songs of Surrender’ album, out March 17, which features 40 re-worked U2 songs. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/5s22tnkj
• Pete Townshend — can be heard in Ann-Margret’s cover of the Everly Brothers’ classic ‘Bye Bye Love’, which appears on her first album in more than a decade. “Born to Be Wild,” out April 14, features the Swedish actress/singer performing some of her favorite songs, and also includes appearances by Joe Perry, Steve Cropper, Rick Wakeman and more. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/2rfz8tsn
• Jon Pardi – He and his wife Summer were forced to care for their 2-week-old daughter Presley in a house with no power over the weekend. Storms on Friday left 165,000 people in Tennessee without electricity, and it had yet to be restored on Sunday. Saturday, he posted a pic of himself cradling baby Presley, enjoying some light from a generator. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/bbjctkv6
• Ingrid Andress — has dropped a deluxe edition of her 2022 sophomore album “Good Person”. The 16-song collection includes 3 additional songs: ‘Wish You Would’, ‘Treated Me Good’, and ‘Runnin’ with pop singer JP Saxe. She’s currently touring with Madeline Edwards, Carter Faith, Nick Wilson and Blü Eyes.
• Morgan Wallen – Thursday, he returned to his alma mater, Gibbs High School in Knoxville TN. He showed up unannounced and surprised students with an invite to a show that night at the school’s baseball field. He also presented the school’s principal with a $35,000 check from the Morgan Wallen Foundation, to go toward performing arts and sports programs.
SHOOTING THE BULL
A GOOD TIME – ALL THE TIME:
If you’ve ever been lucky to spend time on a cruise ship, then you know that it’s a wonderful thought to LIVE on one. Think about it – no cooking, no chores, perfect weather (usually), and as much pampering as you can stand. Sounds good, doesn’t it? But it also sounds expensive. But now, a cruise company is offering the chance to embark on a 3-year escape from the daily drudgery of your life — a 130,000-mile cruise for an almost affordable $30,000 per person, per year. Life at Sea Cruises is now taking bookings for the voyage on the MV Gemini, which sets sail from Istanbul on November 1. In those 3 years, you’ll hit 375 ports around the world, visiting 135 countries and all 7 continents. The ship will take in iconic sights from Rio de Janeiro’s Christ the Redeemer statue and India’s Taj Mahal, to Mexico’s Chichen Itza, the pyramids of Giza, Machu Picchu and the Great Wall of China. There are also trips to 103 tropical islands. And 208 of those ports include overnight stays, giving you extra time to enjoy the sights, and to regain your “land legs”. And because of the nature of the voyage, the Gemini will be outfitted with a full-scale business center with remote working facilities, and a free hospital.
(You may not get seasick, but you might get sick of the sea!)
(And depending on your luck, COVID might come back, and it’ll be a FOUR year cruise – like it or not!)
⇒ If current trends continue, half of the world’s population will be overweight or obese by 2035, according to a new report by the World Obesity Federation. The findings, published in the World Obesity Atlas 2023, suggest the global obesity epidemic will continue to snowball if prevention and treatment measures do not improve. The report projects that 51% of the world’s population — over 4 billion people — will be considered overweight or obese in 12 years. Additionally, 1 in 4 people are predicted to be obese — a staggering jump from the 1 in 7 living with obesity now. People with a body mass index of more than 25 are considered overweight, while obesity is defined as a BMI of over 30. (So, if you like to stay trendy…)
⇒ Now, the good news: Getting regular, uninterrupted sleep might help those who are trying to lose weight, according to the Sleep and Heath Research Program at the University of Arizona. In a study where participants’ sleep habits were monitored over the course of a year while they sought to attain dietary and fitness goals, researchers found that better sleep health was associated with a higher rate of attendance in group sessions, closer adherence to caloric intake goals, and participants’ physical exercise duration increasing over time. The director of the program said: “This was a great example showing how sleep isn’t just tied to weight itself, it’s tied to the things we’re doing to help manage our own weight.” (Because if you’re sleepin’, you ain’t snackin’?)
If your pupper gets suspiciously few compliments about how “cute” he is when you’re out and about, this contest might be for him. Applications are now being accepted for the 2023 “World’s Ugliest Dog” competition. According to the official website, the goal is to celebrate “the imperfections that make all dogs special and unique.” Organizers claim: “The annual World’s Ugliest Dog Contest is not about making fun of ‘ugly’ dogs, but having fun with some wonderful characters and showing the world that these dogs are really beautiful.” If your furry friend might suit the bill, you’re asked to file an application online, including a photo, short biography and vaccine records. The official competition will take place on June 23 at the Sonoma-Marin Fair in California, with a first-place prize of $1,500 plus a trophy declaring them the “World’s Ugliest Dog.” Last year’s winner was a 17-year-old Chinese crested-Chihuahua mix named Mr. Happy Face, who definitely had some ruff competition, judging by the pics on the website. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/26kr4rch
(…but we’re betting he has a wonderful personality!)
(If you have a cat, don’t worry – it has probably already entered your dog!)
A Redditor asked, “What’s the most under-utilized ingredient by home cooks that pro chefs use all the time?” Here are some of the best responses…
✓ “Pasta water! My Italian grandma always used salty, starchy pasta water to amp up her sauces. It really is a game changer.”
✓ “Lemon juice. It enhances the flavor in almost anything you’re cooking. Vinegar is too dominant, but lemon juice adds just the right taste.”
✓ “MSG. Disregard those who say it’s bad for you (or gives you headaches and whatnot). Those claims have been disproven for years.”
✓ “Fresh herbs. The difference between fresh basil or curry leaves and the dried stuff is basically night and day.”
✓ “Instant mashed potatoes. I use it to thicken soups instead of using cream or a roux, and it’s such a game changer.”
✓ “Peanut butter. Just a little bit of creamy p.b. can thicken up many sauces — like a roux traditionally would. It adds a complex, toasted umami component to the flavor. Just don’t overdo it!”
✓ “Fish sauce. It is a secondary source of salt that also brings another dimension of flavor.”
✓ “Toasted sesame oil. It adds a light nuttiness and saltiness to a dish.”
✓ “Bacon fat. Save leftover bacon grease and use it instead of olive oil or butter when you’re making anything that could use a little extra flavor boost.”
✓ “Good-quality butter. It’s amazing people will happily slather their bread with loads of butter, but they balk at using a couple of tablespoons in cooking. That right there is the source of restaurant-level flavor.”
✓ “White wine. Lots of chefs add a dash of lemon or lime juice to their food, but I think white wine works even better.” (NOW yer talkin’!)
(What about ketchup? I put that stuff on everything!)
DID YOU KNOW?
People spend one-sixth of their lifetime trying to enhance their physical appearance, according to research published in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior. Survey data from 93,000 participants across 93 countries and various cultures was analyzed by an international research team. It considered the application of cosmetics, hair grooming, clothing style, body hygiene, exercise and dietary habits as actions taken to better one’s looks. Women were found to spend an average of 4 hours per day, with men averaging just above 3½ hours primping in some way. (I give up LOOOONG before 3½ hours…)
BS CHRONOMETER 03.07.23
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Unique Names Day”, a part of “Celebrate Your Name Week”, when we’re encouraged to salute those who have an unusual name. Let’s appreciate them for going through life without seeing their names on retail items like ready-made key chains, etc. (But what kid ISN’T given a unique name these days …or at least a unique spelling?)
• “Be Heard Day”, for entrepreneurs, small business owners, and solo professionals to find their voice, tell their story, and be heard (If you want to be seen, stand up. If you want to be heard, speak up…and if you want to be appreciated, shut up!)
• “Cereal Day”, to share in the delights of crunchy n’ crispy breakfast cereals. Celebrated on the anniversary of the world’s first corn flakes being served to Dr John Kellogg’s sanitarium patients in Battle Creek, Michigan, in 1897. LINK: http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-guide.html
• “National Crown Roast of Pork Day”, it earns its name when a pork loin is formed into a circle with the ribs pointing upwards, forming the points of a crown. Often, they are held together with twine. It is then seasoned, and often stuffed, roasted and served, making a beautiful table centerpiece. The ends of the bones may be given a paper frill treatment for added decoration.
• “Sportsmanship Day”, to bring about thoughtful discussion about good sportsmanship among student-athletes, coaches, administrators, and parents.
• “Plant Power Day”, aiming to “take plants off the sidelines and make them the headliner of any meal.” Plant-based foods and drinks are encouraged to be placed first on menus today, becoming the main part of meals. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/2f8reawx
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Wed] International Women’s Day
[Wed] Be Nasty Day
[Thurs] Barbie Day
[Fri] Mario Day
This Week Is…Read an E-Book Week
This Month Is…Employee Spirit Month
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1946  Peter Wolf (Blankfield), The Bronx NY, rock singer (J. Geils Band-‘Centerfold’, ‘Freeze Frame’)
1956  Bryan Cranston, Canoga Park CA, TV actor (“Breaking Bad” 2008-13, “Malcolm in the Middle” 2000-06)/movie actor (“The Lincoln Lawyer”, “Argo”) COMING UP… “Asteroid City”, 2023
1964  Wanda Sykes, Portsmouth VA, comedian-TV actress (“Black-ish, 2015-20, “Curb Your Enthusiasm” 2001-11)/movie actress (“Evan Almighty”)
1970  Rachel Weisz, London England, movie actress (“Black Widow”, “The Bourne Legacy”, Oscar-“The Constant Gardener”)/married to Daniel Craig since 2011. COMING UP… “Dead Ringers” TV series
1971  Peter Sarsgaard, Scott Air Force Base IL, movie actor (“Shattered Glass”, “Jarhead”)/married to Maggie Gyllenhaal since 2009
1973  Jay Duplass, New Orleans LA, TV actor (“Transparent” 2014-17, “The Mindy Project” 2012-17)
1974  Tobias Menzies, London England, TV actor (‘Prince Philip’ on “The Crown” 2019-20, “Outlander” 2014-2018, “Game of Thrones” 2013-2019)
1974  Jenna Fischer, Fort Wayne IN, TV actress (“The Office” 2005-13)/movie actress (“Hall Pass”, “Blades of Glory”)/podcast host (“Office Ladies”) COMING UP… “Mean Girls”
1975  TJ Thyne, Boston MA, TV actor (‘Dr Jack Hodgins’ on “Bones” 2005-2017)
1980  Laura Prepon, Watchung NJ, TV actress (‘Alex Vause’ on “Orange Is the New Black” 2013-19, “That ’70s Show” 1998-2006, “That 90s Show” since 2023)/movie actress (“The Girl on the Train”)
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2010  Kathryn Bigelow (“The Hurt Locker”) becomes the first female director to win an Oscar
2011  Charlie Sheen is fired from the CBS sitcom “Two and a Half Men”
2021  During Oprah Winfrey’s CBS interview with Harry and Meghan, Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Meaghan alleges she was made suicidal and subject to racist treatment by the palace
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
1985  ‘We are the World’ by USA for Africa is released. Written by Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson, it was recorded to help battle famine in Africa by a stunning list of singers, including Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Willie Nelson, and many more
1987  “Licensed to Ill” by Beastie Boys becomes the first rap album to top the US chart. It stays at #1 for 7 weeks
2015  Drake places an astounding 14 songs in the Billboard Hot 100, thanks to the release of his mixtape “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” (The Beatles are the only other act to accomplish this, in 1964) Drake would land 27 songs on the July 14, 2018 chart
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
2007  A British movie theater allows a patron to propose to his girlfriend with a 3-minute video inserted among the trailers before the main feature (unfortunately, she was at the snack bar . . . kidding)
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ It would take less than 6 months to get to the Moon by car at 60mph (95km/h).
✓ Mickey Mouse’s dog “Pluto” was named after the planet, not the other way around.
✓ Mulan has the highest kill count of any Disney character, including villains.
✓ 79% of pet owners sleep with their pets.
✓ Even though smoking is banned on airplanes, ashtrays are mandatory on every plane. This is for safe disposal in case someone breaks the law.
✓ When you have to make a choice, and every choice is a bad one, it’s called a “zugzwang”.
Best of BS . . .
BS ODD CRIES FOR HELP:
• Eating pizza with a knife and fork
• Saying, “This is too much wine.”
• “Like and retweet”
• Pooping with the door open, despite complaints from the other Starbucks customers
• Eating my own weight in Chinese food
• Actually crying, “Help!”
• My browser history
• Pretty much anything posted on Facebook
• Socks with sandals
-Twitter, first published in BS in 2019
MORE BS QUESTIONS PLAGUING HUMANITY:
✓ Do pigs have pen pals?
✓ Why are toenail clippers bigger than fingernail clippers when toenails are smaller than fingernails?
✓ How many people thought of the Post-It note before it was invented — but didn’t have anything to jot it down on?
✓ What would you get if you mated a bulldog and a Shih Tzu?
✓ How does a shelf retailer keep her store from looking empty?
✓ How come overtones and undertones are the same thing?
✓ What would you use to dilute water?
✓ What do you call a male ladybug?
✓ Can you grow birds by planting birdseed?
✓ Is it progress if a cannibal learns to eat with a fork?
-First published in BS in 2017
BS WEB GOODIE:
Totally me at home: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYfUTSTd/
BS RANDOM JOKE:
After 2 martinis, there is not a single IG story I won’t reply to.
BS PHONE STARTER:
What is the most disturbing or weirdest thing that you walked in on and can’t “unsee”?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: 3/4 of us have one of THESE, but about half of them don’t work. What are they?
Answer: A flashlight
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Miracles don’t just happen. People make them happen.