Tuesday, May 23, 2023 – Edition: #7479
Get Sheet-Faced Every Morning!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ They can definitely pay their bills, bills, bills. Jay-Z and Beyoncé bought their enormous new Malibu CA compound entirely in cash, it has been reported. The power couple dropped $200 million on the estate, which officially made it the most expensive home ever purchased in the state. It is also said to be the second most expensive in the history of US real estate, after a NewYork City apartment that sold for $238 million. Beyoncé has a net worth of $450 million, according to Forbes, while Jay-Z has $2.5 billion to his name. And of course, Queen Bey also just kicked off her “Renaissance” tour, which is expected to rake in more than $1 billion.
★ Kim Kardashian admits that parenting is one of the “most challenging” things in her life, and sometimes she cries herself to sleep, because of the chaos inolved. In the “On Purpose with Jay Shetty” podcast, the reality star, who shares 2 daughters and 2 sons with ex-husband Kanye West, called the joys of parenting “full madness” at times. Quote: “Everyone says the days are long and the years are short, and that couldn’t be like a more true statement. When you’re in it, I mean, especially when they’re babies and you’re feeding, there’s madness going on. It’s like full madness. It’s the best chaos though.” The 42-year-old went on to note that “parenting is the thing that has taught me the most about myself.”
★ John Cena admitted he was “shortsighted and selfish” for starting a feud with Dwayne Johnson a decade ago, when they faced off against one another as WWE stars. On the “Happy Sad Confused” podcast, Cena said the pair – who both have gone on to become huge Hollywood stars, sharing screen credits in this year’s “Fast X” – “always have been good, except for one little patch where I really messed up.” That’s in reference to the time in 2011 when Johnson – already a movie star — returned to WWE, and Cena took it as a provocation and opportunity to “call him out” for coming back, and challenge him to fight. The “Trainwreck” actor explained he “got selfish, and me…not having any concept of growth or someone else’s perspective” caused him to start the feud. He says their friendship “now is in a really good place.”
★ You may have heard that Harrison Ford gets de-aged for a flashback sequence in the new “Indiana Jones” movie. Last week, “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” officially premiered at Cannes, and though the resulting standing ovation moved its star to tears, some criticized Hollywood’s choice to use de-aging technology, rather than simply cast younger actors for flashback scenes. But Ford defended the flick’s use of it at a press conference, saying: “I know that that is my face. It’s not a kind of Photoshop magic — that’s what I looked like 35 years ago. Because Lucasfilm has every frame of film that we’ve made together over all of these years. He continued, “It’s just a trick unless it’s supported by a story, and it sticks out like a sore thumb if it’s not honest, it’s not real… I mean, emotionally real. And so, I think it was used very skillfully.”
★ Machine Gun Kelly and Megan Fox are reportedly working on their relationship, but have no plans to walk down the aisle anytime soon. People reported a source as saying: “They are slowly working on reconciling but he’s totally in the dog house still.” The insider said that Kelly is doing “whatever he can” to officially get Fox back, but “She’s making him work for it.” Kelly walked the red carpet for Sports Illustrated’s party in honor of Fox landing the 2023 Swimsuit Issue cover, but the singer posed for photos solo, while Fox did press interviews on her own.
★ Owen Wilson needs a new pair of pajamas — because a homeless man got into his house, and put on his sleepwear. Police say the man ended up inside Wilson’s Santa Monica home, rummaging through the house before slipping into a pair of the actor’s pjs. Reportedly, Wilson’s assistant came home to discover the intruder, coming face-to-face with the man before they both fled in different directions. Owen’s assistant called police, who arrested a pajama-clad suspect. It’s believed nothing else was taken.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Jennifer Hudson, Donnie Yen, Larkin Poe (R)
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Jonas Brothers, Chlöe Bailey, The Foodie Magician (R)
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Sigourney Weaver, Zeeko Zaki (R)
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Ana de Armas, Reba McEntire, Ms. Pat (R)
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Michaela Watkins
• “The Talk” (CBS): Celebrating the 50th anniversary of “The Young and the Restless” (R)
• “Live with Kelly and Mark” (ABC/CTV): Vanessa Williams, The winner of “American Idol”
• “The Kelly Clarkson Show” (Check local listings): Good Neighbor of the Year: Part 1
• “The Drew Barrymore Show” (Check local listings): Aubrey Plaza, Savannah Guthrie, Gabriel LaBelle, Melissa King
• “Jennifer Hudson Show” (Check local listings): Robert Glasper, Rhea Williams
• “FBI” (CBS): Season 5 finale
• “The Voice” (NBC): Season 23 finale
• “Beat Shazam” (FOX): Premiere. Nick Cannon guest hosts; Kelly Osbourne guest DJs; teams of moms battle for the $1 million prize.
• “Don’t Forget the Lyrics!” (FOX): Season 2 premiere
• “NHL Playoffs” (Check local listings): Carolina @ Florida
• “NBA Playoffs” (Check local listings): Boston @ Miami
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• One Direction — Liam Payne has hinted that reunion talks could be well underway. While at the KSI vs Joe Fournier fight, he was approached ringside and asked: “When are we going to see the band back together?” Payne’s answer: “I don’t know – but we just started a new group chat, so that’s something.” When the interviewer said to the camera: “1D is back soon!”, Payne simply shrugged his shoulders.
• Lewis Capaldi – His sophomore album finally dropped on Friday. He wrote on IG: “Almost 4 years to the day since my first album came out I’m so happy that ‘broken by desire to be heavenly sent’ is finally yours! I hope you love it as much as I do.” He has already released 3 singles from the collection: ‘Forget Me’, ‘Pointless’, and ‘Wish You the Best’.
• Maroon 5 – Friday, they dropped ‘Middle Ground’, the group’s first new release since 2021. They will begin the second leg of their Vegas residency in July. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/23ansej8
• Foo Fighters — introduced new drummer Josh Freese during the “Foo Fighters: Preparing Music for Concerts” livestream on Sunday. Freese has played with many acts, including Guns N’ Roses, The Offspring, Weezer, Sting, and Nine Inch Nails.
• Oasis — Speculation surrounding a reunion is ramping up, with rumors that Liam Gallagher’s agents have put forward the idea of 4 huge concerts to take place at the 125,000-capacity venue Knebworth in the UK in 2025. The gigs would be the first time the band has played together since 2009.
• Van Halen – in a new interview, Wolf Van Halen was asked about the possibility of an Eddie Van Halen tribute concert ever happening. His answer: “No, no, no…unfortunately, with Van Halen, there’s many pieces that don’t operate as they should…But that’s neither here nor there; it’s just how reality is.”
• Paul McCartney and Elton John — are the only rock stars on the Sunday Times’ annual list of Britain’s wealthiest people. McCartney and wife Nancy Shevell are at #175 with a net worth of £950 million (US$1.18 billion), while John is a new entry on the list at #309, with a worth of £450 million ($560m).
• Old Dominion – often mounted small pop-up shows during their off days while touring with Kenny Chesney, but the group mounted the ultimate pop-up on Saturday, surprising Chesney onstage in Evansville IN, strolling out to sing in the middle of his set. Chesney quote: “My band and my crew can’t keep secrets, but they kept this one!” LINK: https://tinyurl.com/c2x92c6d
• Garth Brooks – said Luke Combs and Ed Sheeran would be good candidates to join him on stage during his Plus One residency in Las Vegas, because they both “floored” him when he saw them sing. While Thursday night’s opener at the Colosseum in Caesar’s Palace featured only his wife Trisha Yearwood as a guest, he also mentioned that both Adele and Sting are “already here” doing their own residencies.
• Shania Twain – said her new collab with Anne-Marie is the “country pop song of the summer”. ‘Unhealthy’, which dropped last week, is slated to appear on Anne-Marie’s forthcoming album of the same name, out July 28. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/yckabkkx
SHOOTING THE BULL
The next time you accidentally let a spoiler slip about a show or movie, just explain to your disappointed friend that it’s OK…because science. Yeshiva University psychology professor Anna-Lisa Cohen wrote of a study by her and others published in Applied Cognitive Psychology. The researchers showed an Alfred Hitchcock TV episode called “Bang! You’re Dead” to 2 groups of people—one group was clueless about how things turned out and the other was told what happens. It turns out that knowing the ending didn’t stop people from becoming fully engrossed in the story and enjoying it. According to her, we are still just as likely to get caught up in a story even when we know what’s coming, because we are still drawn into characters’ stories, and have essentially “hitched our mental state to theirs.”
(Fine, then. I’ll say it. Spoiler alert: “Fast X” is DUMB!)
(Maybe so, but don’t you dare tell me who won the big game, when I’ve PVR’d it!)
❑ If you want a better night’s sleep, stop looking at the clock. If you’re one of the unfortunate souls who often find themselves lying awake at night, calculating how many hours of sleep you’ll get if you can just fall asleep RIGHT NOW, new research from Indiana University says this strategy may actually be making things worse. A sleep study of nearly 5,000 people found that watching the clock made participants more likely to have more trouble falling asleep and more likely to turn to sleep aids. The study author said: “One thing that people could do would be to turn around or cover up their clock, ditch the smart watch, get the phone away so they’re simply not checking the time (because doing so) exacerbates insomnia symptoms”. (But for some reason, staring at the clock while in a boring meeting makes me fall asleep immediately…!)
❑ If it’s your thing to sleep in on the weekend in an effort at making up for sleep lost during another hectic work-week, I’ve got bad news for you: It doesn’t work. Dr. Lindsay Browning, who is a neurologist, psychologist, and sleep expert, says being sleep-deprived and then relying on the weekend to recover, may help in the short term, but in the long run, the extra rest may create a false sense of recovery. And what’s more, trying to catch up on the weekend may make things worse. She says that research has shown that it can take up to 4 days to recover one hour of lost sleep and up to 9 days to fully recover from sleep deprivation. (Yet, for some reason, people continue to insist on having kids!)
I’m starting to wonder if anyone can be trusted. Why? According to a new survey, more than 4 in 5 people (82%) have, at some point, snooped through someone else’s digital device. And exactly whose device are we most likely to snoop through? A romantic partner or ex, of course. According to a poll of more than 1,000, commissioned by Secure Data Recovery Services, a perhaps shocking 53% say they’ve found something incriminating or concerning while going through someone else’s device. Most commonly, that is evidence their significant other is cheating or flirting with others. Women were more likely to do the snooping (88%) in comparison to men (77%). Only one in 10 respondents said they’ve never looked through someone else’s device.
(Those snoops are lying!)
(I’d never go through my wife’s phone. I’m WAAAY to afraid of seeing her Visa bill!)
FIVE FOODS THAT ARE SURPRISINGLY GOOD FOR YOUR HEART:
➢ Watermelon: It can protect vascular function if you consume a lot of sugar, thanks to its amino acids.
➢ Kale: Yup. It HAD to be kale. Leafy greens in general are good for you, but kale has an abundance of heart-friendly nutrients, including potassium, fiber, folate and calcium, and can lower bad cholesterol.
➢ Oats: They also lower bad (LDL) cholesterol. Also rich in antioxidants, which helps protect from heart disease. (Until you cover it in sugar, that is…)
➢ Avocado: Contains healthy fats which help protect the heart by maintaining levels of ‘good’ cholesterol and reducing levels of LDL cholesterol. Plus, avocados contain many nutrients which benefit the heart and cardiovascular system. (A ‘toast’ to avocados!)
➢ Dark chocolate: You’ve heard this before. It is high in flavonoids – also found in tea, leafy vegetables and citrus fruits – which act as antioxidants and have powerful anti-inflammatory effects, and can improve blood vessel function and lower blood pressure. (But why did it have to be DARK chocolate?)
(To me the most surprising thing this is that “beans” aren’t on the list. I mean…remember that rhyme, “Beans, beans, good for your heart…”)
DID YOU KNOW?
Remember when Coca-Cola started letting us mix our own flavors with its Freestyle fountains? Now, Kraft Heinz wants to do the same for dipping sauces. A prototype of a new dispenser, called the Heinz Remix, was showcased at the National Restaurant Association Show in Chicago over the weekend. Sauce “bases” include Ketchup, Ranch, 57 Sauce and BBQ Sauce. Customers can pick one and mix it with flavor “enhancers,” including jalapeño, smoky chipotle, buffalo and mango (or all of the above). Kraft Heinz will start running pilot programs with the product in restaurants late this year. The base options could change over time, a relief for those already concerned that mayo isn’t included.
BS CHRONOMETER 05.23.23
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Taffy Day”, celebrating the ooey-gooey soft candy that sticks to your dental fillings. Salt water taffy was originally produced in Atlantic City, NJ in 1883
• “Lucky Penny Day”, see a penny, pick it up…all day long, you’ll have good luck. When you’re out and about, look on the ground for pennies. It just might be your lucky day! (Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis, you’ll have to look for a lucky nickel…)
• “Turtle Day”, an opportunity to learn more about turtles and how to protect them and their shrinking habitats. (Scientists are now saying that the earliest turtles developed their shells not for protection, but for digging. Do you believe them?)
• “World Crohn’s and Colitis Day”, a way to bring people affected by either disease together, as well as friends and family members, and even those who know nothing about either disease, in an effort to increase awareness of them (Celebrated in some areas as “World IBD Day” on May 19) LINK: https://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Wed] Brother’s Day
[Wed] Asparagus Day
[Thurs] Geek Pride Day
[Fri] Road Trip Day
This Week Is…Safe Boating Week
This Month Is…Wildfire Awareness Month
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1933  Joan Collins, London England, TV Actress (‘Alexis Carrington’ on “Dynasty” 1981-1999)
1958  Drew Carey, Cleveland OH, comedian/TV host (“The Price is Right” since 2007)/TV producer (“Whose Line Is It Anyway?” 1998-2006)/TV actor (“Drew Carey Show” 1995-2004)
1958  Lea DeLaria, Belleville IL, TV actress (‘Big Boo’ on “Orange Is the New Black” 2013-18)
1965  Melissa McBride, Lexington KY, TV actress (‘Carol Peletier’ on “The Walking Dead” since 2010)
1967  Phil Selway, Abingdon England, alt-rock drummer (Radiohead-‘Creep’, ‘Karma Police’)
1970  Matt Flynn, LA CA, pop drummer (Maroon 5-‘Moves Like Jagger’, ‘She Will Be Loved’)
1974  Jewel (Kilcher), Payson UT, folk/pop singer (‘Foolish Games’, ‘Who Will Save Your Soul’)
1974  Ken Jennings, Edmonds WA, TV host (“Jeopardy!” since 2021, also broke the record for the longest winning streak as a contestant on the show , winning over $4.5 million total)
1986  Ryan Coogler, Oakland CA, movie director/screenwriter (“Creed”, “Black Panther” films)
1999  James Charles (Dickinson), Bethlehem NY, influencer (makeup artist who became the first male spokesperson for CoverGirl)/internet host (the YouTube Originals reality competition “Instant Influencer”, 2020)
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2005  Tom Cruise infamously leaps on the couch and pumps his fist in the air to express his love for Katie Holmes during an appearance on “Oprah” (that seemed to help the relationship…)
2010  Bret Michaels of Poison wins Season 9 of Donald Trump’s show “The Celebrity Apprentice”
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2007  The US Library of Congress hands out its first ‘Gershwin Award’ to singer-songwriter Paul Simon
2012  Adam Lambert becomes the first openly gay artist to debut at #1 on the ‘Billboard 200’ chart, with his album “Trespassing”
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
1785  Benjamin Franklin announces his invention of bifocals (causing everyone of a certain age to tilt their head back and open their mouth, in order to read)
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1982  Colin Wilson rides a surfboard a record 294 miles (473 km)
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ All babies are color blind when they are born.
✓ Smiling can lower your heart rate – and your stress level.
✓ Apples are 25% air.
✓ The sting from a killer bee contains less venom than the sting from a regular bee.
✓ Dogs sneeze to show they’re play-fighting.
✓ Goats have accents, depending on the region they grow up in.
BS WILDLIFE TV SHOWS GONE WRONG:
• “The Lion Taunter”
• “Fast Animals, Slow Children”
• “Late Night National Geographic”
• “Animals Gone Wild Kingdom”
• “Get This Thing Off of Me!”
• “Guy Fieri Tries Put BBQ Sauce on a Live Gator”
• “Wait, I Think They’re Watching Us Back”
• “Baby Shark Week”
• “Jacques Cousteau Does Dallas”
–Twitter, first published in BS in 2019
TODAY’S SCOOP OF BS:
➠ (***Check this***) The “American Idol” finale on Sunday posted record ratings. (But, for me, as long as we were exposed to a new crop of artists that we’ll follow and enjoy for years to come, it was all worth it. In other words, it wasn’t worth it…)
➠ General Motors just recalled over a million vehicles due to serious safety concerns. (Instead of fixing the problem, they’re just going to install a dashboard light of a car on fire…)
➠ Lawrence Tureaud, AKA “Mr. T” turned 71 on Sunday. (I’m not gonna say he’s old, but these days he often forgets which fool he’s pitying BEFORE he’s even done pitying them…)
➠ California is looking to ban more plastic in restaurants and stores. (Plastic noses, lips and boobs, however…those are still totally cool!!!)
➠ According to a study, American women have the biggest breasts. (Coming in second? American Men!)
BS WEB GOODIE:
She’s a keeper: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM28DVyyu/?t=2
BS RANDOM JOKE:
When I was a kid, my mom told me I could be anyone I wanted to be. As it turns out, though, identity theft is a crime…
BS PHONE STARTER:
If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what would it be?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
90% of this year’s college freshmen have never used one of THESE machines. What are they?
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
A mistake repeated more than once is a decision.