Thursday, May 30, 2019 – Edition: #6462
It’s Your Daily Constitutional Sheet!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans are banned from promoting Marvel movies together because they act like ”kids in school” when they’re together, and can’t focus on what they should be doing. Hemsworth, who plays ‘Thor’ said: ”With Chris Evans, I have a real brotherly bond. I think they wouldn’t pair us up…because we just spend the whole time screwing around and none of it is on topic.” The pair get along so well, they’d like to work together again away from the MCU. Evans says that he’d love to do “one of those ’80s buddy comedies, where we could shed the characters we are known for.”
(And act like the characters they are…)
★ “Game of Thrones” star Kit Harington checked into a ‘wellness retreat’ ahead of the show’s finale on HBO. The British actor, who played Jon Snow for the past eight seasons, is being treated for stress and alcohol use at a luxury health retreat in Connecticut, where he’s resided for the past month. Harington reportedly arrived at the center just weeks before the show’s finale on May 19. In a statement, his publicist said, “Kit has decided to utilize this break in his schedule as an opportunity to spend some time at a wellness retreat to work on some personal issues.”
★ Netflix says it will fight a controversial abortion law in Georgia and may “rethink” its operations there should the law go into effect. Chief content officer Ted Sarandos said in a statement. “We have many women working on productions in Georgia, whose rights, along with millions of others, will be severely restricted by this law.” He went on to say that because the legislation has not yet been implemented, they will continue to film there, while at the same time supporting partners and artists who choose not to. And “Should it ever come into effect, we’d rethink our entire investment in Georgia.”
★ A meteorologist from Dayton, Ohio, snapped at ‘Bachelor Nation’ after fans complained on social media when a tornado warning interrupted Monday night’s broadcast of “The Bachelorette”. FOX 45’s Jamie Simpson told impatient viewers during his broadcast to “Think about if this was your neighborhood. I’m sick and tired of people complaining about this. Our job here is to keep people safe, and that is what we’re going to do…I’m done with you people, I really am. This is pathetic.” He later apologized.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Zach Galifianakis, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Alessia Cara
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Will Smith, Laurie Metcalf, Phil Hanley (R)
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Gayle King, Anthony Mason, Tony Dokoupil, Pete Holmes, The National (R)
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Glenn Howerton, Desi Lydic, Craig Finn, Valerie Franco (R)
• “The Late Late Show with James Corden” (CBS/CTV): Sharon Osbourne, Sam Richardson, Ryan Conner (R)
• “Conan” (TBS): John Bradley (R)
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Bethenny Frankel, Brandon Maxwell (R)
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Sen. Elizabeth Warren
• “The Talk” (CBS): Octavia Spencer, guest co-host Carnie Wilson
• “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (ABC/CTV): Jeff Daniels, Daniel Dae Kim, Chris Byrne
• “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (NBC/CTV): Shailene Woodley, Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish, Elisabeth Moss
• “NBA Playoff” (CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS): Golden State Warriors at Toronto Raptors in Game 1 of the NBA Finals
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Iggy Azalea – has spoken after nude photos of her leaked online. She deleted all of her social media after outtakes from a GQ magazine photoshoot in 2016 leaked on Twitter over the weekend. Before deleting her social media, she wrote: “Today I’m a ball of negative emotions. I feel blindsided, embarrassed, violated, angry, sad and a million other things.”
• Katy Perry — Fresh off her second season as a judge on “American Idol”, she will release the new single ‘Never Really Over’ tomorrow. Perry posted a teaser photo showing her in a bright orange dress, with blonde hair swirling around her head in the wind.
• Spice Girls — Fans are demanding refunds after their long-anticipated reunion tour was plagued by sound problems for the second consecutive night. Several complained they struggled to hear the group during their performance in Cardiff, Wales on Monday night. The Spice Girls were hit by similar audio problems during their previous concert in Dublin on Friday, which kicked off their comeback tour.
• Bruce Springsteen – says that he will tour next year with the E Street Band. Quote: “I’ll record with the E Street Band in autumn and, when we are done, we’ll go on tour. He hasn’t recorded a new album with the group since “High Hopes” in 2014.
• Robert Plant — will launch his own podcast next week. Debuting Monday, “Digging Deep: The Robert Plant Podcast” will see Plant share stories from his legendary career. In a trailer, he says: “Now and again down the line, opening up some of the songs and looking back at ’em, I marvel at some of it.”
• Eddie Money – has been ordered by doctors to have heart valve surgery before he performs another show. He’s been experiencing shortness of breath recently, but delayed the procedure because he didn’t want to let down fans who bought tickets to his two Memorial Day Weekend shows. He’ll have the surgery this week.
• Midland – Singer Mark Wystrach is engaged. Tuesday, he posted: “Popped THE QUESTION and @ty_haney had the answer I was lookin’ for!!!” He included photos showing the happy couple and their dogs — and Haney showing off her new bling. Tyler Haney is the founder and CEO of Outdoor Voices, an athleisure brand.
• Kacey Musgraves – She and Brooks & Dunn are among those who will be recognized during the 2019 ACM Honors ceremony Aug. 21. Along with Martina McBride, Brooks & Dunn are the 2019 recipients of the ACM Cliffie Stone Icon Award, which recognizes those in the country music industry who have “advanced the popularity of the genre through their contributions in multiple facets of the industry.” Musgraves has been named the 2019 ACM Jim Reeves International Award winner in recognition of her efforts to promote and spread country music throughout the world.
People often create home remedies to help with things like colds, stomach aches…even hangovers. But lately, some have been making their own…sunscreen, and the experts are saying that’s a no-no. Apparently do-it-yourself sunscreen recipes are available on websites such as Pinterest, but when the scientists got involved, they found that although 95 per cent of them CLAIMED to protect your skin against UV rays, only about 30 per cent actually did. One expert says that making an effective SPF at home is virtually impossible. But since you’ve just got to know, DIY sunscreen generally contains ingredients like: Coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, carrot seed oil and zinc oxide.
(Whatever they are!)
(I don’t trust myself to make ANYTHING with more than 3 ingredients…)
(I saw the instructions…and by the time that stuff is ready, the sun isn’t shining anymore!)
It turns out that we’re using our smartphones all wrong. Jony Ive, the chief design officer at Apple, said this month that on average, we are using them WAY more than Steve Jobs envisioned when he introduced the iPhone in 2007. He says that to Jobs, the smartphone was “an iPod that made phone calls” and he wasn’t nearly as focused on apps as many designers and consumers are today. While that might sound weird coming from a guy who has a financial incentive in people having their faces buried in his product, Ives says that there is the chance of “misuse” of any tool. Studies show that the average person spends 3.3 hours per day on their phone, checking it every 10 minutes. Reducing time spent immersed in our devices can positively impact our sleep, creativity and overall happiness.
(I’m not so sure. How happy were you last time your battery died?)
(Is there an app for that?)
(No problem. I used to check my phone every 10 minutes, but then I realized that no matter how often I look at it, I’m still not getting any messages…)
WE GET IT, YOU VAPE:
Long-time smokers sometimes switch to e-cigarettes to avoid the dangerous chemicals in tobacco smoke, but new research has found that the flavorings used in e-cigarettes may be bad for the heart. A study done by Stanford university found that exposing lung cells to flavorings from e-cigarettes triggered blood vessel dysfunction that can increase the risk of heart disease. More research is needed.
(And apparently, they’re even worse for you if you smoke them!)
(Man, when they’re not exploding in your pocket, they’re making your heart explode!)
(C’mon! You didn’t really think that those things were safe, did you?)
SURPRISING WAYS TO MAKE MOSQUITOS BUG OFF:
➠Breeze: Almost any breeze above 1 mph makes it difficult for them to fly. Pick a breezy spot outdoors…Aim a fan on you at night. It works better than those fancy ultrasonic devices and apps. (Heck, take a fan with you outside!)
➠ Stay Cool: Mosquitos are drawn to you by the pheromones released in your sweat, so cool off and don’t sweat. Easier said than done in the summer, we know. (How [swat!] am I [swat!] supposed to stay cool [swat!] with all these [swat!] mosquitos flying around? [swat!])
➠ Give your heart a breather: Carbon dioxide is another thing that they search for to identify food sources. Exercise, alcohol, and spicy foods are all things that crank up your metabolic rate and increase your CO2 production. (My heart starts beating faster just thinking about not being able to drink all summer…)
➠ Plant plants: Certain plants discourage mosquitos from hanging around your house. Those include citronella, lavender, marigolds, lemongrass and basil. (Especially if they’re on fire!)
➠ Get rid of standing water: Mosquitos can breed in small containers of water like a birdbath or even water sitting around your plants. So can some viruses common to mosquitos. (Reason #26 to leave the pool closed and use the neighbor’s!)
➠ Wear tightly woven, light colored clothes: Mosquitos can’t penetrate material with a very tight weave. Many synthetic fibers, particularly hi-tech athletic apparel, tend to resist them. (Then how is it that one got me right through my jeans…AND my lawn chair??)
➠ Avoid scented products: Any scented perfume, lotion, or soap could attract them. (Unless you happen to wear “Deet” after-shave…)
DID YOU KNOW?
Honey is just as effective at treating cold sores as anti-viral creams, according to scientists. Participants in a trial used either cream or honey, both of which cleared the pain and wound within nine days. Bee honey has a long history of therapeutic use, and some studies have shown it to have antibacterial properties.
BS CHRONOMETER 05.30.19
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1964  Wynonna Judd (Christina Ciminella), Ashland KY, country singer (‘No One Else on Earth’, The Judds-‘Love Can Build a Bridge’)
1964  Tom Morello (“The Nightwatchman”), Harlem NY, rock guitarist (Rage Against the Machine-‘Killing in the Name’; Audioslave-‘Doesn’t Remind Me’)
1971  Idina Menzel, Syosset NY, Broadway actress (“Rent”, “Wicked”)/movie actress (‘Queen Elsa’ in “Frozen”)/pop singer (‘Let It Go’)
1971  John Ross Bowie, New York City NY, TV actor (‘Barry Kripke’ on “The Big Bang Theory” 2009-19, ‘Jimmy’ on “Speechless” since 2016)
1975  Cee-Lo Green (Thomas Callaway), Atlanta GA, TV personality (“The Voice” 2011-14)/rapper-vocalist-songwriter-producer (‘Forget You’, Gnarls Barkley-‘Crazy’)
1999  Sean Giambrone, Michigan, TV actor (‘Adam Goldberg’ on “The Goldbergs”)
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Mint Julep Day”, celebrating the delicious and refreshing Summer cocktail made with bourbon whiskey, mint, water, and sugar. Sounds best if you order one using a Southern accent.
• “Water a Flower Day”, because nourishing a little bit of natural beauty might be the only truly worthwhile thing you do all day. (No, Rover! Stop!)
• “Loomis Day”, Mahlon Loomis was a dentist, the inventor of artificial teeth and one of the earliest inventors of wireless communication.
• “World MS Day”, the Multiple Sclerosis International Federation’s annual campaign to raise awareness of the condition, and to support and connect the 2.3 million people living with it.
• “National Creativity Day”, whether you are an artist, writer, musician, filmmaker, blogger, photographer, graphic artist, or any of 100 other creative personalities, today we celebrate you and your creative pursuit. (My creativity peaked with a macaroni necklace in kindergarten.)
• “Hole In My Bucket Day”, this wacky holiday is in honor of the fun children’s song ‘There’s a Hole in My Bucket’. (Yup. Slow day.)
COMING UP . . .
[Fri] Heat Awareness Day
[Fri] National Smile Day
[Sat] Dare Day
[Sat] Flip a Coin Day
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2008  “Sex & The City: The Movie” opens in theaters
2014  “Maleficent”, starring Angelina Jolie as the villainess from “Sleeping Beauty”, debuts in movie theaters
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2000  Eminem’s second major-label album, “The Marshall Mathers LP”, becomes the fastest-selling rap album ever when it sells 1.76 million copies in its debut week.
2015  Enrique Iglesias slices his fingers open while trying to grab a drone camera taking pictures of the audience at his concert in Tijuana, Mexico
TODAY’S FIRST . . .
1911  1st “Indianapolis 500″ auto race (Ray Harroun wins, averaging 74.59 mph)
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
1979  Ted Coombs begins a successful 5,193-mile roller-skate from LA to NYC
BS WACK FACTS:
✓ Due to gravitational effects, you weigh slightly less when the moon is directly overhead.
✓ Lighting hasn’t brought down a plane since 1963, due to engineering that lets the electric charge of a lightning bolt run through the plane and out.
✓ 27,000 trees are felled each day for toilet paper.
✓ Thomas Edison, the inventor of the lightbulb, was afraid of the dark.
✓ Ralph Lauren’s original name is Ralph Lifshitz.
✓ If you unfolded your brain, it would cover an ironing board.
BS ODD NAMES FOR PRISON GANGS:
• The Three Stooges
• Shanks for the Memories
• Chess Club
• Natural Born Cuddlers
• The Brotherhood of the Traveling Pants
• All the President’s Men
• Kool & the Gang
• The Mickey Mouse Club
• New Kids on ‘D’ Block
• The Mathletes
• (***CAUTION***) The Butthole Surfers
Best of BS . . .
BS CELEBRITY PRODUCTS:
• Britney’s Pickle Spears
• Benedict’s Cumberbunds
• J-wow’s Shamwows
• Bra-rack Obama
• Prince Albert in a Can
• Liam Nissan
• Channing Tatum Tots
• Reese Witherspoon’s Pieces
• Johnny Deppity-Doo
• Oprah Winery
• Bjork & Beans
-Twitter, first published in ‘BS’ in 2018
BS U-PICK TRIVIA:
• Which do bees have exactly five of?
b. eyes [CORRECT]
• Which kind of bee is NOT found in a hive?
d. Keyof [CORRECT]
BS PHONE STARTER:
What is the best “used item” purchase that you ever made?
BS RANDOM JOKE:
They told me I was gullible…and I believed them!
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: 94% of men don’t know that their partner does THIS. What is it?
Answer: Waxes or bleaches her mustache
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
To be in your children’s memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today.