Thursday, July 27, 2023 – Edition: #7525
Thanks a Sheetload for Choosing “BS”!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
(***UPDATE***) ★ It’s been reported that Sinead O’Connor has died at the age of 56 after years of mental health battles. The Irish singer shot to stardom across the world in 1990 with her heartrending cover of Prince’s ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’. Her death, reported on Tuesday night, comes a year after the mother-of-four’s son, 17-year-old Shane, took his own life in after escaping hospital while on suicide watch.
★ A London jury has found Kevin Spacey not guilty of 7 sexual assault and 2 other sexual offenses against 4 men. The 64-year-old Oscar winner faced historical sex offense charges that allegedly took place between 2004-13, while Spacey served as artistic director at London’s Old Vic theater. He pleaded not guilty to all of the charges. After 12½ hours of deliberation across 3 days, the jury delivered its verdict that Spacey was not guilty on all counts.
★ These days, “Barbie” is everything, but it may just be a stand-alone movie. Although the Greta Gerwig-directed comedy continues to do big numbers at the box office, the filmmaker isn’t itching to start on a sequel. Gerwig, who also co-wrote the film, told a reporter: “At this moment, it’s all I’ve got. I feel like that at the end of every movie, like I’ll never have another idea and everything I’ve ever wanted to do, I did.” She continued, saying she “wouldn’t want to squash anybody else’s dream, but…at this moment, I’m at totally zero.” (Don’t worry…it’ll happen. In Hollywood, that’s called “negotiation”!)
★ Blake Lively went to extreme lengths to make sure her 2022 Met Gala dress looked perfect while on display in Kensington Palace. The “Gossip Girl” actress jumped over the rope to make some adjustments at the “Crown to Couture” exhibition, and shared a clip on her Instagram Story. She captioned the video, “When you’re the clown who hops over the rope at the museum to fix the exhibit.” Lizzo’s 2022 Met Gala ensemble and Lady Gaga’s 2020 MTV Awards dress are also on display among over 200 items at the lavish exhibit. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/4juxm7tu
★ Following vows by several recent champions to boycott the “Jeopardy!” Tournament of Champions if it takes place amid the ongoing Writers Guild of America strike, the show’s producers say they “never had any intention” of holding the annual contest “until the strike is resolved. Earlier, recent “Jeopardy!” champion Ray Lalonde announced that he wouldn’t participate in a Tournament of Champions while the strike continues. He was soon joined several other champs, including Hannah Wilson, Cris Pannullo, Ben Chan, Troy Meyer, Ben Goldstein, Suresh Krishna and Luigi de Guzman.
★ Hulk Hogan has shrunk almost 3 inches, due to numerous injuries from his wrestling career. The 69-year-old WWE Hall of Famer, who had an almost 4-decade career, spoke in a podcast interview about the sport’s effect on his body. Quote: “I think internally, I’m healthy. It’s just I’ve used my body so bad. The last 10 or 12 years, I’ve had 25 surgeries.” He said that in the 1980s, when he filmed “Rocky 3”, he was “6 foot 7 on the nose.” And when measured a few years ago, he was “six four and a half.” Hogan also admitted he needs a cane to walk more than a few feet.
★ Is Meghan Markle ready to return to acting? A recent rumor suggests the former “Suits” star could head back to her acting roots alongside Kevin Costner in a sequel to “The Bodyguard”. The “Yellowstone” actor starred in the original Bodyguard film, which was released in 1992, with Whitney Houston. One publication claims it was Costner’s idea to pitch a follow-up to The Bodyguard starring the Duchess of Sussex. The Express quotes an insider saying: “The only thing Kevin loves more than an underdog like Meghan is a box office hit.”
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Kumail Nanjiani, Pink performs (R)
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Matt Damon, Cecily Strong, musical guest Rema (R)
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Jonathan Karl, BJ Novak, St. Vincent (R)
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Kenan Thompson, Jinkx Monsoon (R)
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): The WWHL Actors Studio
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Hot Topics
• “The Talk” (CBS): Rose McIver, Dania Ramirez (R)
• “Live with Kelly and Mark” (ABC/CTV): Chef Michael Symon, guest co-host Anderson Cooper
• “The Kelly Clarkson Show” (Check local listings): Constance Wu, Kit Hoover (R)
• “The Drew Barrymore Show” (Check local listings): Susan Sarandon (R)
• “Jennifer Hudson Show” (Check local listings): Mayim Bialik, Julian Gant, SWV performs (R)
• “Generation Gap” (ABC): Featuring celeb guest Corbin Bleu.
• “The Prank Panel” (ABC): A hairstylist works on the influencer from hell; a man pranks his husband with his secret second family.
• “Jaws in the Shallows” (DSC): Shark Week veteran Dr. Riley Elliott has traveled all over to study great whites, and now they’re terrorizing the beaches of New Zealand.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Taylor Swift – reacted Monday to her song ‘Anti-Hero surpassing one billion streams on Spotify. She reposted the song to her Instagram Story, writing: “Thanks a billion guys” alongside a head-exploding emoji. It’s her 4th song to achieve the feat, following ‘Blank Space’, ‘Shake It Off’, and her collaboration with Zayn, ‘I Don’t Wanna Live Forever’.
• Lil Nas X – is one person who approves of the Twitter revamp. After Elon Musk tweeted that he was going to change the social media platform’s logo to an X, Nas wrote: “I appreciate Elon renaming the app after me, but this is honestly overwhelming…I am ready to accept my destiny as Twitter supreme again.” LINK: https://tinyurl.com/bddp5ezt
• S Club 7 — is back. In honor of late member Paul Cattermole, Yesterday, the British group dropped its first new single in 20 years, ‘These Are the Days’. They are now billed as “S Club”. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/5n7xyumt
• Mark Tremonti – The Grammy-winning musician, producer, author, and founding member of Alter Bridge, Creed and Tremonti, has announced he’ll release “Christmas Classics New & Old” on Oct. 27. It’ll contain his interpretation of 9 holiday classics and one original. LINK: https://fb.watch/l-T53VYqtd/
• Steve Miller – Sept. 15, he’ll commemorate the 50th anniversary of “The Joker”, by releasing “J50: The Evolution of The Joker” box set. Out now is ‘The Joker Suite’, which showcases his musical journey to the album’s chart-topping title cut, including the previously unreleased songs “Lidi” and “Travelin’.” LINK: https://tinyurl.com/ekz9csxb
• Maren Morris – seems to be teasing new music. She posted an Instagram video of her listening to a new, unreleased song. Her caption: “Do you hear that? [tree + fire emojis].” In the vid, she sways along to the lyrics: “Oh, do you hear that?” LINK: https://tinyurl.com/3ahx5yfe
• Jason Aldean – Despite (or perhaps because of) the controversy surrounding ‘Try That in a Small Town’, it has become the highest-charting hit of his career. The song entered the Billboard Hot 100 at #2 on Tuesday, just behind BTS member Junk Kook’s ‘Seven’. The song posted 228,000 sales, the biggest sales week for a country song in over 10 years. It also saw a 547% increase in streaming.
• Kane Brown – His current hit ‘Bury Me In Georgia’ has jumped to #9 on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart, making it his 13th top 10. It saw 6.9 million streams and sold 3,000 downloads.
• Maddie Poppe and Caleb Lee Hutchinson – The “American Idol” fan-favorite couple have gone their separate ways. They never formally announced their breakup, but Poppe announced a new relationship with singer-songwriter Gabe Burdulis on her Instagram on Monday, sharing a photo of them together with the caption: “Happy.” LINK: https://tinyurl.com/yjxabrhw
SHOOTING THE BULL
THE POSTING OFFICE:
❑ After all of Twitter’s self-inflicted wounds over the last 9 months, Elon and whatever remaining employees there are at what is now known as “X” can console themselves with this: People still hate Facebook a little more. In a new survey released this week by the American Customer Satisfaction Index, Facebook ranks last in user satisfaction among social media platforms, with a score of 66 out of 100. Twitter and Reddit tied for second-to-last place with scores of 69. YouTube was ranked first, with a score of 78, and Pinterest and TikTok tied for second place with scores of 77. (How long until we’re allowed to start hating Threads?)
❑ We’re all aware of the negative impacts of spending too long scrolling through your fav social media site, and peeking into other people’s picture-perfect lives, but that doesn’t make it any easier to quit the habit. However, according to a new study, even a small reduction of the amount of time you spend on social platforms could have a positive impact on your wellbeing. Researchers at Swansea University found that cutting back social media usage by just 15 minutes a day resulted in “improved general health and immune functioning, as well as reduced feelings of loneliness and depression.” (Less carpal tunnel, too!)
A veterinarian is warning dog owners not to let their pets sleep with them. I know! But Dr. Faith Coleman, medical expert for Study Finds, writes that despite all the supposed benefits to sharing a bed with your furry friend…those include:
• Creating a comforting routine…for them and for you, and increasing the bond between you.
• Sleeping deeper and longer.
• A built-in alarm system, and keeping your dog from getting into trouble at night.
• Bringing your dog joy and happiness to be with you as much as possible.
…Dr. Coleman also has a list of the negatives of sleeping with your canine, including…
• Poorer sleep quality, due to kicking, scratching, or snoring.
• Infectious diseases. Yup. There is the possibility of your dog transmitting bacteria or parasites to you. Because not only do they sometimes “step in it”, they sometimes also “eat it”!
• Can worsen allergies or asthma.
• Sleeping with you can make a dog’s behavioral problems worse – and can cause behavioral problems where there were none.
The good doctor suggests that rather than allowing your dog on the bed, if you still want to share a bedroom with your mutt, put a dog bed right next to your bed, and train him/her to sleep there.
(I think my wife bribed her to write this. I’ll look into it, and get back to you!)
(My wife says she doesn’t mind the dog snoring – because it drowns me out!)
A recent poll found that, for Americans, their #1 dream car from the movies is the Auston Martin DB5 from the “James Bond” series. And while owning 007’s ride will more than likely remain a dream, when asked which features would make a more attainable “dream car”, technology was the #1 answer (26%). Other significant factors influencing respondents’ dream car preferences, according to the survey of 2,000 adults: Performance (25%), safety features (25%), reliability (23%) and emotional appeal (20%), in order. 31% expressed a strong preference for electric engines, beating out gasoline engines (27%), and hybrid alternatives (21%). And climate control (30%), leather or premium upholstery (30%), and a built-in navigation system (29%) ranked as the top 3 must-have comfort features.
(These days, I’m looking for one “dream car” feature: “Cheap on gas”!)
(Sure…everyone SAYS they want the Bond car, but when it comes to the options, does anyone ask for want the rear-firing water cannons or the ejector seat? Nooooo…..!)
WHY YOU FEEL HAPPIER IN SUMMER:
It’s true. Here are reasons why you may feel a positive shift in your mood during the summer, and how you can keep that feeling going through the rest of the year.
➢ The sun is a mood-booster: It makes you happier, because it increases serotonin. One way get this boost in winter is by finding outdoor winter activities that you enjoy, like snowboarding and skiing.
➢ You spend more time outside: There are a lot more outdoor activities to do in the summer months, like going to the beach, lying out by the pool, visiting an outdoor restaurant, or seeing an outdoor concert. Being outside makes people happier. (Not in MY neighborhood!)
➢ You are more likely to exercise: Not only are you more motivated to work out, you tend to feel more alert, vibrant, and experience more daylight hours. And exercise helps us feel healthier and happier. Find a winter exercise, and make it part of your routine. (Note: I tried snow-shoveling. It didn’t work!)
➢ Traveling and vacationing: Both are obvious mood-boosters. If you can, take a vacation during the winter months. (If not, you could at least look forward to your summer vacation!)
➢ There’s more socializing in summer: Between long weekends, weddings, BBQs, pool parties and casual hangouts, we’re often surrounded by people in the summer, which can be a huge mood boost. In winter, people can feel isolated and lonely, so be sure to plan activities, even if they’re indoors. (So, plan something BESIDES my annual fever of 103°?)
DID YOU KNOW?
Everyone enjoys a meal out with family and friends, but have you ever noticed how the noise level gradually increases as people try to be heard? This phenomenon, known as the Lombard effect, has caught the attention of researchers who are exploring ways to disrupt this cycle and create more pleasant dining experiences. The suggestions of American University scientists who looked into the phenomenon include: understanding the acoustics of a space during design, and strategically altering walls, to minimize the noise amplification. Technology could also be employed, in the form of smart earbuds, which can help individuals focus on a single speaker. But the most effective method of combating ever-increasing sound levels in a gathering of people was found to be this: People should learn to lower their voices and enjoy a “quiet conversation”. (Right. So, for MY family, they’re saying the best idea is to re-design the restaurant?)
BS CHRONOMETER 07.27.23
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Bagpipe Appreciation Day”, celebrating the ancient musical instrument that’s viewed by some as an obnoxious, migraine-inducing tool of cacophonic destruction. (Good for funerals, though!) Here’s some pipin’ that we can get into: LINK: https://tinyurl.com/m235meb3
…and even though bagpipes were NOT invented in Scotland, it’s also…
• “Scotch Day”, celebrating the malt (or grain) whisky that was originally exclusive to Scotland. All Scotch must be aged in oak barrels for at least 3 years. The first written mention of Scotch whisky is in the Exchequer Rolls (official records) of Scotland from 1495.
• “Korean War Veterans Armistice Day”, commemorating the 1953 negotiated cease-fire that ended the war on the Korean peninsula. During 3 years of fierce struggle, over 600,000 Allied lives were lost.
• “Walk on Stilts Day”, celebrating the feat most often seen in parades and at the circus. Stilt-walking is an ancient art that only requires a pair of stout sticks and lots of practice. (And maybe some butt padding…)
• “Take Your Houseplants for a Walk Day”, Why not do it on stilts?
• “Intern Day”, celebrating the leaders of tomorrow, and to bring attention to the challenges and inequalities that entry-level candidates face in the workforce. The day also serves to show companies how investing in internship programs is a way to invest in the future. (I got an internship at a nudist camp…just for the exposure!)
• “Crème Brûlée Day”, saluting the yummy French dessert consisting of a rich custard base topped with a contrasting layer of hard caramel. It’s normally served at room temperature.
• “Chicken Finger Day”, first made and named in 1976 by the operators of Spanky’s in Savannah GA. One of the original owners continues to operate Spanky’s today, and it is known as the “Home of the Original Chicken Finger”. (What did kids eat before the chicken finger was invented?)
• “National Chili Dog Day”, Alas, making decisions about what mouth-watering cuisine to satiate your appetite with during the sweltering summer months can be difficult. Do you want chili? Do you want hot dogs? Well, sometimes you CAN have it all…
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Fri] Buffalo Soldiers Day
[Fri] Milk Chocolate Day
[Sat] Lipstick Day
[Sun] Father-in-Law Day
This Month is…HIV Awareness Month
This Month is…Family Reunion Month
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1957  Bill Engvall, Galveston TX, comedian (“Here’s Your Sign”)/TV Actor (“The Bill Engvall Show” 2007-09, “The Jeff Foxworthy Show” 1996-97)/reality TV contestant (“Dancing With the Stars” 2013)
1970  Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Rudkobing Denmark, TV actor (‘Jaime Lannister’ on “Game of Thrones” 2011-19)
1972  Maya Rudolph, Gainesville FL, TV comic (“Saturday Night Live” 2000-07, 2012, 2015, 2021, “Maya & Marty” 2016) movie actress (“Bridesmaids”, “50 First Dates”)
1975  Alex Rodriguez (‘A-Rod’), NYC, former MLB player (NY Yankees/Seattle/Texas)/14-time All-Star/5-time HR leader/3-time AL MVP
1977  Jonathan Rhys Meyers (O’Keeffe), Dublin Ireland, TV actor (“Dracula” 2013-14, “The Tudors” 2007-10)/movie actor (“Mission: Impossible III”, “Bend It Like Beckham”) COMING UP…”Clean Up Crew”
1984  Taylor Schilling, Boston MA, TV actress (‘Piper Chapman’ on “Orange Is the New Black” 2013-19, “Pam & Tommy”, 2022)
1993  Jordan Spieth, Dallas TX, pro golfer (US Masters winner, 2015, US Open winner, 2015; British Open winner, 2017)
1994  Winnie Harlow, Mississauga ON, fashion model (gained prominence as a contestant on “America’s Next Top Model” in 2014 while having a form of the skin condition vitiligo)
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1940  Bugs Bunny, voiced by Mel Blanc, makes his debut in “A Wild Hare”
2003  Legendary comedian, movie actor, and TV host Bob Hope dies at age 100 at his home in Toluca Lake, California
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
1983  Madonna releases her self-titled first album. While it doesn’t burn up the charts, and Rolling Stone calls her voice “irritating as hell”, it eventually spawns the hits ‘Holiday’, ‘Borderline’ and ‘Lucky Star’
1984  The Prince film “Purple Rain” is released. He plays as an upstart musician who clashes with his band. It parallels his life story, but is not strictly autobiographical
2021  Bassist-vocalist Dusty Hill of ZZ Top dies at 72, ending a 51-year run with the same lineup: Hill, Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard
TODAY’S FIRSTS . . .
1999  Tony Hawk becomes the first skateboarder to land a “900”
2012  Queen Elizabeth II opens the 30th Olympics in London, UK (with some help from 007)
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ The pig is rated the fourth most intelligent animal.
✓ The tongue of a blue whale is as long as an elephant.
✓ Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia
✓ The world has been at peace only 8% of the time over the last 3,500 years.
✓ The inventor of revolving doors did so because he hated opening doors for women.
✓ The patent for the first fire hydrant was lost in a fire.
Best of BS . . .
BS SIGNS IT’S TIME TO REPLACE YOUR OUTDOOR FURNITURE:
• Thieves clean out your house, but your lawn furniture mysteriously reappears on the porch the next morning.
• Your folding lawn chairs only fold when you sit in them.
• Your wife installs a “Break Glass in Case of Emergency” box on the front porch, containing a good-sized needle for digging out slivers.
• In your divorce settlement, you got to keep it.
• The ambulance just left with Aunt Gert, and now all you have to do is clean up the mess of broken chair parts on the front porch.
• It’s so old, it was made using absolutely no plastic.
• One of the chairs has the word “Titanic” printed on it.
-First published in BS in 2021
BEST OUT-OF-OFFICE AUTOMATIC EMAIL REPLIES:
• “I am currently out of the office at a job interview and will reply if I fail to get the position. Please be prepared for my mood.”
• “You are receiving this automatic notification because I am out of the office. If I was in, chances are you wouldn’t have received anything at all.”
• “Sorry to have missed you, but I’m at the doctor’s having my brain and heart removed so I can be promoted to our management team.”
• “I will be unable to delete all the emails you send me until I return from vacation. Please be patient, and your mail will be deleted in the order it was received.”
• “Thank you for your email. Your credit card has been charged $5.99 for the first 10 words and $1.99 for each additional word in your message.”
• “Thank-you for your message, which has been added to a queuing system. You are currently #352 and can expect to receive a reply in approximately 19 weeks.”
• “I’ve run away to join a different circus.”
-Adapted from Jokes2Go, first published in BS in 2016
BS WEB GOODIE:
Caption says it all: https://tinyurl.com/ycx3yswh
BS RANDOM JOKE:
I was just told that it’s getting harder and harder to under-estimate me…
BS PHONE STARTER:
What product should a company would make a “smart” version of?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: A survey showed that the average parent does THIS 156 times a year. What is it?
Answer: Eat a meal while standing
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Never play with the feelings of others. You may win the game, but you’ll surely lose the person forever.