Wednesday, July 12, 2023 – Edition: #7514
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Jamie Foxx has been spotted again in Chicago – this time helping a woman who lost her bag. A male fan in the Windy City shared a video of Foxx returning his mother’s purse to her after she had lost it. The fan captioned the video: “Mom lost her bag in Chicago today Jamie fox found it and brought it to her and he said he feels good y’all god is good”. In the clip, Foxx can be seen getting back into a black SUV after handing off the purse and departing with a “hang loose” hand signal. The footage comes after he was spotted in public a few times over the weekend, his first appearances since his mysterious “medical complication” that hospitalized him in Georgia. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/4tx9ue53
★ Claire Danes and Hugh Dancy have welcomed their third baby together. The couple didn’t announce the arrival of their little one, but were pictured pushing a stroller around New York City on Monday. Danes and Dancy met while working together on the 2006 film “Evening”, and got engaged in 2009. They tied the knot later that year. In 2012, they welcomed their first son, and their second was born in 2018. The couple confirmed they were expecting baby #3 in January.
★ Andrea Evans, the veteran daytime TV star best known for her role as the troubled teen ‘Tina Lord’ on “One Life to Live”, has died. The actress died Sunday at her home in Pasadena, California, following a battle with breast cancer. She was 66. Evans appeared in beauty pageants and regional theater before landing a role as an extra in Brian De Palma’s 1978 horror classic “The Fury”. She soon was cast in her role on One Life to Live. Evans quickly rose to fame and remained on the series until 1981, after which she went on to portray ‘Patty Williams’ on “The Young and the Restless” from 1983-84. She returned to One Life to Live in 1985 and was nominated for a Daytime Emmy in 1988.
★ Kyle Richards and Mauricio Umansky’s separation will be included in Season 13 of “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.” Although filming wrapped months ago, sources say that cameras have been powered back up to capture the aftermath of the reality TV couple’s shocking split. One insider has been quoted as saying: “This development has rocked the Bravo world. Producers know fans want a glimpse into how Kyle and Mauricio came to this decision.”
★ Not even Tom Cruise’s daredevil stunts can silence the rumors about the “Mission: Impossible” star. Cruise prefers to keep the public focused on his projects — leaving plenty of room for gossip about his personal life. But in recent interviews around “Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning — Part One,” director Christopher McQuarrie revealed that there’s one rumor that Cruise himself is happy to debunk. McQuarrie recalled asking Cruise for the “weirdest” story he’s heard about himself, and the star revealed there was one going around that cast and crew are not allowed to look him in the eye.” That’s not true, according to Cruise, and McQuarrie backs him up on that.
★ In the battle of the bomb vs. the bombshell… why not both? Lots of moviegoers are making the decision to watch Christopher Nolan’s atomic drama “Oppenheimer” and Greta Gerwig’s colorful romp “Barbie” on the same day, when both movies hit theaters on July 21. With 2 weeks to go, AMC Theatres, the world’s largest cinema chain, says that more than 20,000 AMC Stubs members have purchased tickets to see “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer” on the same day. Recently, Tom Cruise announced his plan to see both on opening weekend, but not on the same day.
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Mila Kunis, Ramy Youssef, Future (R)
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Steve Martin & Martin Short, H.E.R., Mary McCartney (R)
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Damian Lewis, U.N. Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield (R)
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Jason Bateman, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (R)
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Gina Kirschenheiter, Meghan King
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Day of hot topics
• “The Talk” (CBS): Channing Tatum, Salma Hayek Pinault (R)
• “Live with Kelly and Mark” (ABC/CTV): Laura Linney, Vanessa Kirby
• “The Kelly Clarkson Show” (Check local listings): Pierce Brosnan, Elle King (R)
• “The Drew Barrymore Show” (Check local listings): Al Yankovic (R)
• “Jennifer Hudson Show” (Check local listings): Janelle James, Capt. Sandy Yawn (R)
• “The 2023 ESPYS” (ABC): Celebrating the year in sports; the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team receives the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage; Liam Hendriks receives the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance; the Buffalo Bills training staff receives the Pat Tillman Award for Service.
• “MasterChef” (Fox): The remaining home chefs face their first mystery box challenge – apples.
• “The Real Housewives of Orange County” (Bravo): The adventure continues in Montana when the ladies go fly-fishing and white-water rafting; Heather helps Gina deal with pent-up emotion.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Lizzo – says that someday, she’ll achieve EGOT status. She already has 4 Grammys and one Emmy, meaning she needs an Oscar and a Tony. She says she has “whatever it takes” to win a Tony, since she “was writing musicals in high school”. As for an Oscar: “I’ve actually been making music for films…with the Barbie movie coming out…not to jump to any conclusions or anything.”
• Taylor Swift – has extended her own record as the female artist with the most Top 10 hits on Billboard Hot 100 in history. ‘Cruel Summer’ is her 41st song to make the upper reaches of the chart…with more expected over the coming weeks, thanks to the release of “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)”.
• Liam Payne – has revealed that he has recently completed a 100-day stay at a rehab facility in Louisiana, sharing that he took time away from the public eye and is now nearly 6 months sober. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/yt9ke547
• Prince – Friday, his estate dropped 2 previously unreleased songs. ‘7 (E Flat Version)’ is a previously unheard remix of a song that appeared on 1992’s “Love Symbol”. ‘All A Share Together Now’ was recorded in 2006, and has not previously been released in any form. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/y9zb9jyn
• Elton John – In case you’re wondering what his plans are following the end of his farewell tour, shortly after the Sat. show, he sent a note out to fans, reading in part: “While this tour may mark the closing of one chapter, it signals the beginning of a new one…there is lots to come so stay tuned for new surprises along the way…I am excited to embark on this next adventure with all of you by my side.”
• Ozzy Osbourne — has pulled out of October’s Power Trip Festival, the 3-day California festival he was slotted to headline, alongside Guns N’ Roses, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica and Tool. A statement reads: My body is telling me that I’m just not ready yet and I am much too proud to have the first show that I do in nearly 5 years be half-assed.” A new co-headliner will be announced later. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/3tac3nv9
• Luke Combs – was kind enough to gift over a dozen concert tickets to a Children’s Hospital in his home state of North Carolina. Atrium Health’s Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte will distribute the tickets to several patients, including Gavin, a boy who is recovering from a traumatic brain injury. His mom shared video on TikTok of her son receiving his. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/ymfwnd7b
• Dan + Shay – have not only announced they’ll release new music Friday; they’ve revealed they almost broke up a few years ago. In a candid video, they reveal how Covid-19 shut things down days after they launched their highly anticipated arena tour in March 2020. When it relaunched, the duo was facing tremendous career pressure, plus problems at home and alcohol concerns. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/mryhvzj5
• Morgan Wallen –found a quick way to shut down the situation after a fan threw a cowboy boot onstage at him as he was signing autographs following a St. Louis show. After the boot hit him in the chest, he finished signing his autograph, then picked up the cowboy boot, shot an annoyed look in the direction of the person who threw it, then flung the boot as hard as he could — in the opposite direction. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/4efdcujz
SHOOTING THE BULL
SICK OF WORK – SICK FROM NOT WORKING:
It’s one of the most-irritating things about going on vacation, and it happens with frightening regularity: Whether it’s a runny nose, or the flu, it seems that the second you punch out for a week or 2, your body decides to try and cancel your fun. A health expert says the “let-down effect” is more common than we think, and she has an idea on how to avoid it. Dr. Suhail Hussain, a personal physician, says: “When the body is used to functioning on high levels of [stress hormones] and they suddenly decrease, our immune system is exposed, and then we’re prone to minor infections and excessive tiredness.” She says that adrenaline increases our muscle tension, and “imagine a rubber band always pulled tight, what happens when you let go?” The let-go effect will likely hit us after an intense work week – such as when you’re trying to complete everything on your to-do list and prepare things for your co-workers while you’re away. Dr Hussain says you could avoid this by de-stressing slowly with some down-time during that last week of work. And instead of “crashing and burning”, try to maintain some activity or exercise while on holiday, so there isn’t a massive decrease in stress hormone levels. And remember that constantly running on high levels of stress is very bad for you, so you should also perhaps look into ways of managing stress efficiently.
(I did. I took vacation! And it made me sick!)
(Well, I do tend to make myself sick when I’m on vacation…but that has more to do with fruity umbrella drinks, than my stress levels…!)
You know how it goes: You and the rest of the gang are at the restaurant, and everyone is ready to order – except YOU. As the waiter takes each person’s order, you can feel the pressure mounting…so much so that when it’s finally your turn, you blurt something out like “French Fries and a hot dog”, just to get it over with. And 2 minutes later, you realize, with regret, what you REALLY wanted. Well, you’re not alone. Three in 10 of us experience “menu anxiety”. A new survey, conducted in the US, found younger generations are far more likely to have anxiety while ordering — 41% of Gen Z and millennials (aged 18–43), compared with only 15% of Gen X and baby boomers (aged 44–77). Younger generations are also more likely to let others order first so they’re able to see what they are getting (47% vs. 30%). One way to reduce menu anxiety might be to have a look at the online menu in advance, and that’s definitely something that the younger crowd does, with 24% of those aged 18–43 “always” doing this, compared to 15% of those aged 44–77.
(…but there’s nothing worse than when you’ve decided your order ahead of time, and the server tells you that it’s not available. THEN imagine your menu anxiety!)
(Believe me…I feel a lot more anxiety when it’s time to PAY, rather than when I’m ordering!)
YOU’RE GETTING WARMER:
Well, I didn’t expect THIS: Scientists say they’ve found a link between living in warmer climates and poorer eyesight. University of Toronto researchers say their study suggests that older adults living in warmer climates have an up to 44% higher risk of serious vision impairment than their peers living in cooler regions. And that’s true, regardless of study participants’ gender, income, and education level. What’s especially worrying, the scientists say, is that with climate change, the prevalence of vision impairment among older adults could very well increase in the future.
(This explains SO MUCH about the drivers in Florida!)
(So actually, when the weatherman says we’ll be “seeing warmer temperatures”, we actually might NOT??!!??)
QUESTIONABLE LIFE HACKS:
We’re not saying they’re ethical, but you have to admit they’re genius…
❑ When meeting someone, text and tell them you are twice as far away from them as you actually are, and are willing to meet halfway…like, about a block away from where you actually are.
❑ Trespass while wearing an orange safety jacket. Nobody questions an orange safety jacket (Carry a clipboard, too – just in case…)
❑ To dominate someone in a conversation, stare at the other person’s forehead questioningly. (Tried it on my mother-in-law. Still lost…)
❑ Keep a McDonald’s cup in your car at all times. When thirsty, just walk in to a McD’s and get a refill.
❑ Want to eavesdrop on someone? Airpods have a “Live Listen” feature that turns your phone into a mic. Leave your phone charging in the room where you want to snoop – and listen remotely.
❑ If you’re stuck on an annoying call, put your phone on ‘airplane mode’ instead of hanging up. The other person will see “call failed” instead of “call ended”.
❑ Don’t call into work “sick”. Call and say you have “family problems”. End of discussion. (“Female problems” works, too!)
❑ If you’re sick of people letting their dogs relieve themselves on your lawn, instead of a “Please pick after your dog” sign, put one up that says: “Lawn treated with pesticides”. THAT oughta do it!
❑ …and if you don’t mind being toxic…If your significant other has an annoying friend that you don’t like, just casually mention how pretty/handsome he/she is. Voila!
DID YOU KNOW?
According to a poll of exercisers, those who work out in the morning are more likely to identify as introverts than those who work out in the evening (31% vs. 24%) — but for some reason, they are also more likely to take selfies while working out (46% vs. 40%). The OnePoll survey also found that men are more likely to take selfies than women (48% vs. 38%). For morning exercisers, the platform of choice to post those selfies is Instagram, while evening exercisers lean toward Facebook. (I tend to post mine on “Fatchat”!)
BS CHRONOMETER 07.12.23
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Different Colored Eyes Day”, celebrating the diversity of eye color as well as people with eyes that are a different color from one another. Celebs with what’s called ‘heterochromia’ include late rocker David Bowie, actress Mila Kunis, and actor Kiefer Sutherland.
• “Pecan Pie Day”, celebrating one of the most decadent of all desserts. The crust and pecans aren’t necessary … just the yummy goo in the center! Is it ‘PEE-can or ‘puh-CAHN’? Or is it ‘pee-CAHN’?
• “Simplicity Day”, a day to focus on ways to simplify your life. Which would be …?
• “Eat Your Jell-O Day”, Is it a coincidence that it’s also Bill Cosby’s birthday??
• “Paper Bag Day”, the paper bag has become a household staple. Uses include bringing your groceries home, carrying your lunch, curing hiccups, and making puppets. (And carrying a bottle?)
• “Etch a Sketch Day”, celebrating the toy, released on this day in 1960, that has entertained and fascinated generations of kids. It allows you to draw straight lines on a screen controlled by 2 knobs, a difficult skill to master, but eventually, impressive pictures can be made.
• “New Conversations Day”, aiming to raise interesting questions, spark genuine conversations, and spur the discovery of new things between friends, family members, and partners. (So…how ‘bout that weather, huh?) LINK: https://conversationstartersworld.com/250-conversation-starters/
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Thurs] Bean ‘n’ Franks Day
[Thurs] Gruntled Workers Day
[Fri] Pandemonium Day
[Sat] Be a Dork Day
This Week is…Nude Recreation Week
This Month is…Anti-Boredom Month
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1937  Bill Cosby, Philadelphia PA, comedian/TV actor (“The Cosby Show” 1984-1992, “Cosby” 1996-2000, “Fat Albert & the Cosby Kids” 1972-85)/His 2018 conviction for 3 counts of aggravated indecent assault was vacated by Pennsylvania Court, resulting in his release from prison on June 30, 2021
1948  Richard Simmons, New Orleans LA, actor/comedian/fitness guru (dedicated his business ventures to helping people lose weight, primarily through his “Sweatin’ to the Oldies” videos)
1951  Cheryl Ladd, TV Actress, Juron SD (‘Kris Munroe’ on “Charlie’s Angels” 1977-1981)
1975  Cheyenne Jackson, Spokane Washington, TV actor (“American Horror Story” 2015-18)
1977  Steve Howey, San Antonio TX, TV actor (“Shameless” 2011-21, “True Lies” 2023)
1978  (Christopher) “Topher” Grace, NYC, movie actor (‘Venom’ in “Spider-Man 3”, “Interstellar”)/TV actor (‘Eric Foreman’ on “That ’70s Show” 1998-2005, “Home Economics” since 2021)
1978  Michelle Rodriguez, San Antonio TX, movie actress (“Fast & Furious” films, “Avatar”)/TV actress (“Lost” 2005-06, 2009-10)
1980  Kristen Connolly, Montclair NJ, TV actress (“Zoo” 2015-17, “House of Cards” 2013-14)
1983  Kimberly Perry, Ridgeland MS, country singer-guitarist (The Band Perry-‘Better Dig Two’, ‘If I Die Young’)
1988  Ta’Rhonda Jones, Chicago IL, TV actress (‘Porsha Taylor’ on “Empire” 2015-20)
1990  Rachel Brosnahan, Milwaukee WI, TV actress (‘Abby Isaacs’ on “Manhattan” 2014-15, ‘Rachel Posner’ on “House of Cards” 2013-15)
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
1976  The first “Family Feud” game show debuts on ABC, hosted by Richard Dawson
2008  Twins (a girl named Vivienne Marcheline & a boy named Knox Leon) are born to Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie in France
2020  Kelly Preston, star of “For Love of the Game” and wife of John Travolta, dies of breast cancer at 57
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2007  Rod Stewart is awarded the CBE Order of the British Empire by Prince Charles in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace
2008  61-year-old Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood leaves his wife of 23 years and moves in with an 18-year-old Russian cocktail waitress. Then they got married. Then divorced. Then he married Sally Humphries, who was 34. They now have 7-year-old twins together. He’s 76
TODAY’S RECORDS . . .
2015  Novak Djokovic wins his third Wimbledon title, denying Roger Federer the all-time record of 8 Wimbledon titles (at least until 2017…). Djokovic now has 7
2018  India’s Shridhar Chillal has his fingernails cut with a power tool at the Ripley’s Believe It or Not! museum in New York City. They measure a record 909.6cm (total) after growing for 66 years
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ More energy from the sun hits Earth every hour than the planet uses in a year.
✓ A baby spider is called a spiderling.
✓ Horses can only breathe through their nostrils.
✓ Hot water freezes faster than cold water.
✓ A small child could swim through the veins of a blue whale.
✓ The terms ‘idiot’ ‘imbecile’ and ‘moron’ are all medical classifications for people with certain IQ ranges (Idiot 0-20, Imbecile 21-50, Moron 51-70).
Best of BS . . .
LIFE HACKS FOR THE LAZY:
• If you don’t wear pants, you don’t need to wash your pants.
• Put a mini-fridge on top of your Roomba.
• Friends will make you get off the couch, get dressed, and go out and do things. You don’t need that in your life. Don’t have friends
• Bed sores hurt. Remember to change position at least once per week.
• Save valuable effort by removing the doors from all cupboards.
• 5 words — Pringles lid for a coaster.
• Make your dryer your new closet.
• Chips and salsa in every room.
• Have someone else read this list to you.
• You know they make diapers in adult sizes too, right?
-Twitter, first published in BS in 2019
BS THINGS YOU DON’T WANT TO HEAR FROM YOUR LITTLE LEAGUE UMPIRE:
✗ “Strikes are the ones in the middle, right?”
✗ “You better hit a home run, kid … I got 50-grand riding on this game.”
✗ “Losing team cleans out my garage!”
✗ “Does this padding make me look fat?”
✗ “Hey, watch it with the foul tips, I got a mickey of rye in my hip pocket.”
✗ “Let’s hurry this up … I don’t want to be here when they find the real umpire.”
✗ “Hey, is your mom single?”
-First published in BS in 2018
BS WEB GOODIE:
We all have that ONE friend: https://tinyurl.com/5n867b2e
BS RANDOM JOKE:
Is it just me, or do you also find it’s amazing how nice people are to you when they know you’re going away?
BS WHICH CAME FIRST?
• The iPod or Justin Bieber? [Bieber was born in 1994, while you’d have to wait until 2001 to load up your iPod.]
• Starbucks or Star Wars? [The first Starbucks was opened in 1971. Star Wars didn’t appear on the big screen for another 6 years.]
• The floppy disk or Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson? [The floppy was introduced in 1971, while The Rock didn’t debut until the next year.]
• Google or Yahoo? [Yahoo! Was founded in 1994. Google in 1998.]
• Furby or Fergie? [Fergie (of Black Eyed Peas) was born March 27, 1975, and the Furby was released in 1998.
• The film Grease, or the film Saturday Night Fever? Saturday Night Fever was released in 1977, and Grease in 1978.]
• Man’s first steps on the moon, or Pink Floyd’s classic album “Dark Side of the Moon”? [Neil Armstrong made his “one small step for man” in 1969, and The Dark Side of the Moon dropped in 1973.]
• Power Rangers or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? [TMNT showed up in a 1984 comic book and became a 1987 TV series and 1990 movie. Power Rangers didn’t get started until 1993.]
• McDonald’s or Alex Trebek? [Alex Trebek was born July 22, 1940, and the first McDonald’s location opened in 1955.]
BS PHONE STARTER:
What are the dumbest lyrics you’ve heard in a song? (Some thought-starters: https://tinyurl.com/42zcd8yj )
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: 60% of us have gotten into an argument with our significant other in the past month over THIS. What is it?
Answer: What to watch on TV
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
We know what we are, but know not what we may be.