Thursday, June 29, 2023 – Edition: #7506
Get a Load of This Sheet!
BS SUBSCRIBER NOTE:
There’ll be no “BS” service for Monday, July 3, to observe the Canada Day holiday. All subscribers will receive credit for the non-service day. The Bull Sheet will resume publication on Tuesday, July 4.
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ John Boyega has revealed that he was finally able to get hold of Jamie Foxx over the phone, following the latter’s medical complication earlier this year. The 2 actors star opposite one another in Netflix’s upcoming sci-fi movie “They Cloned Tyrone.” Boyega told People: “He finally picked up the phone. Thank you, bro. He’s doing well. And then, you know, we just giving him the privacy, and we can’t wait for his return.” Datari Turner, who co-produced They Cloned Tyrone alongside Foxx, had even more positive news, saying: “He’s doing amazing. I promise you….He’s in really, really good shape…He’ll be back to work very soon.” They were speaking at the Hollywood premiere of “They Cloned Tyrone,” which Foxx did not attend.
★ With Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s deal with Netflix continuing, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are looking forward to their next series. The Wall Street Journal says the pair is developing a prequel series to Charles Dickens’ 1861 novel “Great Expectations” for the streamer, based on the character ‘Miss Havisham’. Titled “Bad Manners”, the series would see “the lonely spinster as a strong woman living in a patriarchal society.” Following news of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex parting ways with Spotify, a Netflix spokesperson has said that they have several projects in the works with the couple.
★ Dean McDermott blames Tori Spelling for the mounting issues in their 17-year union becoming public knowledge. Page Six quotes a source as saying: “For a very long time, Tori used their marital problems to stay relevant.” The insider said: “She didn’t play it down, she played it — even going so far [as] to go outside where she knew paparazzi were waiting, holding papers that were a clear indication of a divorce.” Those photos “really took a toll on Dean,” according to the source, who claimed he told friends that “nothing he does … will ever be good enough” for the “Beverly Hills, 90210” star.
★ Seth Meyers has a plan to keep busy while late-night TV shows continue to be paused due to the writers strike. He took to social media to announce his brand-new podcast with his brother Josh, “Family Trips with the Meyers Brothers”. He explained that he hopes the strike is resolved soon and the writers “get the deal they deserve. But, when life gives you lemons, make a podcast!” The brothers will talk to guests about trips they took as kids, and what it’s like taking trips as an adult with their kids. Guests will include Tom Holland, Amy Schumer, Pete Davidson and more, with the first being Amy Poehler.
★ After a 10-year hiatus, a trailer has dropped for the return of “Futurama”, which will premiere July 24 on Hulu. The series, which first premiered in 1999, follows ‘Philip J. Fry’, a New York City pizza delivery boy, who accidentally freezes himself and is defrosted in the year 3000. He befriends hard-drinking robot ‘Bender’ and falls in love with a cyclops named ‘Leela’. They embark on thrilling adventures that take them to every corner of the universe. After its initial run on Fox, a roller-coaster of cancellations and resurrections ensued, the most recent ending in 2013. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/497mp933
★ “The Idol”, HBO’s controversial drama starring The Weeknd and Lily-Rose Depp, is ending one week earlier than planned. The network hasn’t commented, but a source explains that after “Euphoria’s” Sam Levinson “took over and made significant changes,” the story only required 5 episodes. HBO initially picked up the show, co-created by The Weeknd and Levinson, as a 6-episode series. And one group happy about the shortened season is the Parents Television and Media Council, which called on HBO to cancel the show entirely, “given the program’s extreme content”, which it said “can be harmful to young viewers.”
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Amy Adams, Maya Rudolph, Jenna Ortega, Bush (R)
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): John Krasinski, Regé-Jean Page, Maggie Rogers (R)
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Hugh Grant, Sean Hayes (R)
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Pierce Brosnan, Sharon Horgan, Craig Finn & the Uptown Controllers (R)
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Cynthia Nixon, Kim Petras
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Day of Hot Topics
• “The Talk” (CBS): Jewel, Maggie Grout, guest co-hosts Joanna Garcia Swisher & Morris Chestnut (R)
• “Live with Kelly and Mark” (ABC/CTV): Kristin Chenoweth, Emma Roberts, Malcom-Jamal Warner
• “The Kelly Clarkson Show” (Check local listings): Hannah Waddingham, Reid Scott (R)
• “The Drew Barrymore Show” (Check local listings): Idris Elba, Sabrina Elba (R)
• “Jennifer Hudson Show” (Check local listings): Wilmer Valderrama, Tarek & Heather El Moussa (R)
• “Generation Gap” (ABC): Season 2 premiere. Host Kelly Ripa serves up some sweet challenges for seniors and juniors.
• “2023 NHL Draft” (SN, ESPN+): Rounds 2-7, from Bridgestone Arena in Nashville.
• “Sins of the Preacher’s Wife” (LMN): A young mother enrolls her baby in a day care program at a local church. But the preacher’s wife soon becomes obsessed with the child — and tries to frame the woman as an unfit mom.
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Zayn Malik – is getting ready to release new music. After wiping his Instagram, he’s back with a new profile photo, and a vid where he revs a motorcycle while wearing a black and red leather jacket and a helmet, showing only his eyes. No details yet, but recently he shared a pic of himself working in the studio. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/ft7hne8m
• Pink — was left gobsmacked after a concertgoer tossed a bag of their mother’s ashes on stage during her set at a festival in London. Picking up the bag, she said: “Is this your mom?” With a shocked expression on her face, she then said: “I don’t know how I feel about this,” before placing the ashes on the edge of the stage. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/2s3uhzsj
• Rick Springfield – has shared 2 singles to preview his new album “Automatic” (out Aug. 4) — because he can. He dropped the title cut, plus ‘She Walks With Angels’, writing: “I’m releasing TWO singles because there are no rules anymore and I’m pretty sure ONE DJ will play them. ME, on my Sirius XM show Working Class DJ. Nepotism at its finest! Thank you very much!” LINK: https://tinyurl.com/2nje9atz
• The Offspring – apologized to fans after the 15th anniversary vinyl reissue of their album “Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace” left the band “horrified,” that it features clean versions of the group’s expletive-laced songs. The group issued a hilariously expletive-filled statement, promising to make things right. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/2hyjmut4
• ZZ Top – Billy Gibbons has revealed that the group’s next album will feature late bassist Dusty Hill and his replacement, Elwood Francis, trading licks on several songs. It was being recorded when Hill died in July 2021. The album is expected later this year.
• Def Leppard, Sammy Hagar and Darius Rucker – are among the 31 entertainers who have been selected to receive stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame over the next 2 years. Other musicians on the list include: Gwen Stefani, Dr. Dre, Toni Braxton and the late Otis Redding.
• Ashley McBryde and BRELAND – are 2 of the stars who will be featured on the new series “CMT Summer Sessions”, premiering July 7. Also appearing are Chris Janson, Jordan Davis, Lee Brice and Tanya Tucker. It’ll air Fridays on CMT through August.
• Chris Stapleton, Kane Brown, Tim McGraw and HARDY – are among those who will be given special awards at the ACM Honors event, Aug. 23 in Nashville. Stapleton will receive the Triple Crown Award, while McGraw gets the Icon Award. Brown will be presented with the International Award, and Hardy gets the Artist-Songwriter of the Year Award. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/3v8pnhsr
• Jana Kramer – has announced that she and her fiancé Allan Russell are expecting a baby boy. The little one will be the couple’s first child. Kramer is already mom to Jolie, 7, and son Jace, 4, both of whom she shares with ex-husband Mike Caussin.
SHOOTING THE BULL
If you’ve been repeatedly frustrated when trying to buy Taylor Swift tickets (or tix for any other in-demand event), a “ticket-buying expert” has some tips for you. Music journalist Georgie Rogers, a veteran of what she describes as the “military operation” of grabbing tickets, says that first of all, teaming up with friends and family, and having everyone all try their luck is key. Just be careful not to overload your Wi-Fi network. She says tablets work best for their internet speed. And those trying to score good tickets should be familiar with the layout of the venue, so they can immediately be aware of how good the seats are that are being offered. A recent survey found that 53% of us have missed out on attending their dream festival or concert because they were stuck in an online queue…waiting to purchase tickets that eventually sold out.
(I’ve seen what they want for Taylor Swift tickets, and when you include service charges, I consider myself lucky that I DIDN’T get them!)
(I just want to know what one has to do to become a qualified “ticket-buying expert”!!)
❑ Meta says it is adding new safeguards and monitoring tools for teens across its social platforms. Those include: parental controls on Messenger, suggestions for teens to step away from Facebook after 20 minutes, and nudges urging young night-owl Instagrammers to stop scrolling. This announcement comes as Meta and other social media platforms face heightened pressure over the impact they have on younger users, who can be just 13 when they sign up. Meta’s “Messenger” app is adding parental supervision tools for the first time, that are similar to those that exist on Instagram already: Parents will be able to see how much time their teens spend on the chat tool, view their contacts list, and be notified if their teen reports someone. (Newsflash, Zuckerberg: NO TEENAGER has spent 20 minutes on Facebook since 2010!)
❑ Scientists say that the seafood delicacy mussels are not only delicious, they could contain the secret to creating a smash-proof smartphone screen. According to a new study, the hard and soft materials that create a mussel shell’s sturdy hinge could inspire engineers, thanks to how fatigue-resistant they are. The shells open and shut hundreds of thousands of times during a mussel’s lifetime — without incurring any damage. A prototype has already been developed using the fatigue-resistant material. This substance also holds potential for use in aerospace and tissue engineering technologies. (Nice thought. But I have teenagers!)
If you’re trying to lose weight, here’s a little bit of info to put in your back pocket. Lately, we’ve been hearing a lot about “intermittent fasting”, the act of limiting yourself to eating only during certain hours of the day. If that sounds like something you’d hate to do, here’s some good news: Intermittent fasting is no better than restricting calories when it comes to losing weight, according to a new study. Researchers at the University of Colorado enlisted 90 adults to take part in a trial. They found that those who restricted calories, but did not restrict the time frame lost about 12 more pounds than those in a control group, after one year. Those who participated in intermittent fasting, eating all their calories within an 8-hour window, lost about 10 more pounds than the control group. The lead study author said “The sudden increase in popularity of (Time Restricted Eating) is likely due to its sheer simplicity and the fact that it does not require persons to count calories.”
(Yeah – instead they count HOURS!)
(Fasting definitely didn’t work for me. Oh, wait – did that say ‘fasting’? I thought it was ‘feasting’. Never mind…!)
FROM THE BS POLL VAULT:
A statistical look at who we are and the things we do …
• 24% of women say a man is instantly more attractive when he’s holding a puppy.
• 20% of women say they have kept a fender bender secret from their partner.
• 16% of men moisturize their face daily (49% of women do).
• 50% of men say they hate shopping for furniture the most.
• 13% of women always carry chocolate in their purse.
• 20% of us say we’re going cancel a streaming service to save money this summer.
• 47% of adults lie to their doctor about how much they drink.
• 8% of people never get a cold.
• 5% of adults say they are terrified of escalators.
• 99% of women say they DON’T want their partner to wear a Speedo this Summer.
DID YOU KNOW?
Being frugal is no longer taboo, even in the dating world. That’s the main finding of a survey, which found that the vast majority of Americans value thriftiness in a potential partner — even on the first few dates. In the poll by the couponing site Slickdeals, 92% of respondents said they considered frugality “attractive” in a partner, while another 79% percent didn’t mind their partner using a coupon on a date. Two-thirds of those surveyed said they’d feel turned off by a partner spending in a frivolous manner. (My time to shine has finally come!)
BS CHRONOMETER 06.29.23
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Camera Day”, which has unknown origins, but we always turn our ‘focus’ to cameras and photographs on June 29th. It’s estimated that each year, we take over 1.8 trillion digital photos. (Some of them not involving “duck face”!)
• “Hug Holiday”, encouraging us to give hugs to those who really need them. Aimed at the elderly, sick and lonely, and anyone who needs the warmth, cheer, and love that a hug provides. Be sure to ask first! (If you knew my Aunt Betty, you’d be asking for a holiday FROM hugs today!)
• “Waffle Iron Day”, celebrating the awesome kitchen gadget. The waffle dates back to the 1300s in Greece, where flat cakes were baked between 2 metal pans. At the time, they topped it with cheeses and herbs. (What’s the weirdest waffle ingredient or topping you’ve heard of? For us, it’s turkey stuffing!)
• “Bomb Pop Day”, nothing drips of patriotism like a melty popsicle. Having one of these red, white and blue icy sweets is a terrific way to kick off the upcoming US 4th of July celebrations.
• “Almond Buttercrunch Day”, a combination of toffee covered with chocolate, and sprinkled with toasted almonds. (It’s definitely worth a special day to me!)
ALMOND FUN FACTS:
✓ Chocolate manufacturers use 40% of the world’s almonds.
✓ It takes more than 1.2 million beehives to pollinate California’s Almond crop (over 550,000 acres).
✓ There are 9,773 people in the US listed with the last name ‘Almond’, according to Forebears.io
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Fri] Asteroid Day
[Fri] Social Media Day
[Sat] Canada Day
[Sun] I Forgot Day
This Week is…Tire Safety Week
This Month is…Mud Month
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1944  Gary Busey, Baytown TX, movie actor (“The Buddy Holly Story”, “Point Break”, Lethal Weapon”), reality TV star (“Celebrity Apprentice” 2013, “Dancing With the Stars” 2015)
1953  Colin Hay, Kilwinning Scotland, pop-rock singer (Men at Work-‘Down Under’, ‘Who Can it be Now?’)
1967  Melora Hardin, Houston TX, TV actress (‘Jan Levinson’ on the “The Office” 2005-2015) COMING UP…”Golden Vanity”
1968  Judith Hoag, Newburyport MA, TV actress (‘Tandy Hampton’ on “Nashville” 2012-18)
1971  Matthew Good, Burnaby BC, alt-rock singer-guitarist (Matthew Good Band-‘Hello Time Bomb’, ‘Apparitions’)
1978  Nicole Scherzinger, Honolulu HI, TV personality (“The Masked Singer” since 2019, “The X Factor UK” 2007-17, “The X Factor US” 2011)/pop singer (‘Don’t Hold Your Breath’, Pussycat Dolls-‘Don’t Cha’)
1982  Lily Rabe, NYC, TV actress (“American Horror Story” 2011-21, “The Whispers” 2015)
1982  Colin Jost, Staten Island NY, comedian-TV actor (“Saturday Night Live” since 2005 as writer and actor/“Weekend Update” co-anchor since 2014)
1991  Kawhi Leonard, Los Angeles CA, NBA forward with the LA Clippers (2-time NBA champion, 2-time NBA Finals MVP, 5-time All-Star)
1994  Camila Mendes, Charlottesville VA, TV actress (‘Veronica Lodge’ on “Riverdale” since 2016)
THIS DAY IN SHOW BIZ . . .
2003  Katherine Hepburn, winner of a record 4 Oscars for ‘Best Actress’, dies in Old Saybrook CT, at age 96
2012  After 5 years of marriage, Katie Holmes files for divorce from Tom Cruise
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
2000  The casket holding Lynyrd Skynyrd singer Ronnie Van Zandt is stolen from a mausoleum in Jacksonville FL, then abandoned after the thieves are unable to open it
2000  Eminem’s mother takes him to court, claiming defamation in a $10 million suit, taking exception to the line “My mother smokes more dope than I do” from Eminem’s single ‘My Name Is’
TODAY’S FIRSTS . . .
2007  Apple officially releases the ‘iPhone’ (before this, we weren’t staring at our right hands 18 hours a day)
2008  Thomas Beatie, the world’s first pregnant man, gives birth to a daughter. (He has since given birth 2 more times)
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
2013  The world’s first dog-friendly communal dining event occurs in Bridgehampton NY, as 224 people are joined by 120 dogs to enjoy mealtime together
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ To cook an egg, a sidewalk needs to be 158°F (70°C).
✓ Eating spicy foods can cool you down on a hot day.
✓ Jogging is considered running when it exceeds a speed of 6mph (9.7kph).
✓ Video games train the human brain to make faster real-life decisions.
✓ Less than 1% of Antarctica is ice-free.
✓ There’s a mountain in Australia named Mt. Disappointment, because the explorers were unimpressed with the view from the top.
Best of BS . . .
BS THINGS OVERHEARD AT THE GROCERY STORE:
• “Our store has 4 checkout lanes open at all times. Unless we’re really busy. Then there’s just one.”
• “Whenever someone ONLY buys toilet paper, you can tell they’re in a hurry.”
• “Would you like your milk in a bag?” “No, just leave it in the jug.”
• “According to the box, I’ve been eating enough lasagna for 4 people.”
• “Where’s the vegan, gluten-free, fat-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, carb-free aisle?”
• “Sir, the sign says 8 items or LESS. L-E-S-S. I don’t care if your name is Les!”
• “Yes, I work here. I’m not wearing this garish green get-up as some kind of fashion statement.”
• “Why do people insist on arranging their family reunion in the middle of aisle 3?”
• “Mom, if you’re eating for 2, how many is that lady eating for?”
• “Please put some clothes on, Ma’am. This isn’t Walmart.”
-Twitter, first published in BS in 2018
BS CANADIAN TRASH-TALKING:
(Canada Day is this Saturday . . .)
• “My Mom’s Nanaimo bars are better than your mom’s Nanaimo bars!”
• “You not as sorry as I am!”
• “You want a piece of this? Here you go, you’re welcome.”
• “Don’t do something you’ll regretzky.”
• “You might think you’ve got it all, but you’ve got Nunavut!”
• “You probably put your BBQ away in winter.”
• “Your poutine cheese doesn’t squeak.”
• (***Caution***) “I’d kick your ass, but you’d just go to the hospital and be treated for free.”
• “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. I’ve been meaning to fix that…”
• “Not only do I think you use fake maple syrup on your pancakes, I think you PREFER it!”
• As Kiefer Sutherland once said: “You’re just lucky my mom isn’t on Twitter!”
• (***Caution***) “Eh-hole.”
• Whatever you say, you’re required to say it in both English and French…
-Twitter, first published in BS in 2019
BS WEB GOODIE:
Not sure I should be laughing at this (sound up): https://tinyurl.com/44976efx
BS RANDOM JOKE:
If you ask me, we place too much emphasis on the early bird’s good luck — and not enough on the early worm’s bad luck.
BS PHONE STARTER:
What’s your most horrifying “and then, unbelievably, it got worse” story?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: According to a new survey, 34% of people agree that it’s unacceptable to wear THIS this to the gym. What is it?
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Even if you don’t reach all your goals, you’ll go higher than if you don’t set any.