Monday, July 10, 2023 — Edition: #7512
Get a Load of This Sheet!
BS SHOW BIZ BUZZ:
★ Jonah Hill’s ex-girlfriend Sarah Brady has taken to social media to call him a “misogynist” and “narcissist.” On Instagram, the surf instructor blasted the “Superbad” star by sharing screenshots allegedly sent by him that appear to reveal their past arguments. The alleged texts show Hill outlining his parameters for a “romantic partnership.” The two dated in 2021 for about a year.
★ “Jackass” star Steve-O continues to outdo himself. This time he was in London performing a stunt that ended up getting him detained by local authorities. On Insta, he shared: “I was detained by police after doing this jump off the Tower Of London Bridge yesterday, but they were totally cool, and understood that I’m just super excited to be taping my THIRD (and craziest by far) comedy special…in London (where I was born!)”. In another post, Steve-O showed himself on top of a double-decker bus holding the Union Jack flag. He called the day “epic”. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/2p6bwvzy
★ James Cameron and wife, Suzy, are selling their oceanfront California ranch for $33 million. The 100-acre property was purchased by the “Titanic” director in 1999 for $4.4 million. Cameron wrote the blockbuster “Avatar,” at the ranch, using an ocean-facing room as inspiration. Cameron says they are letting go of Hollister Ranch in Santa Barbara County because they spend most of their time in New Zealand. The 8,000 square-foot main house has 5 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms. The estate also has a 2,000-square-foot guesthouse and a tennis court, plus a 24,000-square-foot equestrian barn, which Cameron has used to store a helicopter and various other vehicles, including submarines used in his famous underwater expeditions.
★ “Insidious: The Red Door” beat both “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” and its own projections to take top spot at the box office, earning $15 million on its opening day, and the latest estimate giving it a $31 million domestic weekend. Independent projections had the fifth “Insidious” film earning a $22-24 million opening. Instead, “The Red Door” looks poised to pass the $29.5 million opening of “Insidious: The Last Key” in 2018 to set a new high for the horror franchise. The Dial of Destiny” took second with an estimated $26 million in its second weekend.
★ A major blast from the past is set to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as Jennifer Garner is set to reprise her role as superhero ‘Elektra’ in “Deadpool 3.” Hollywood Reporter says Garner will have a major role in the film, which is currently in production, starring Ryan Reynolds as wise-cracking antihero Deadpool. It will also feature Hugh Jackman returning as ‘Wolverine’, reprising his role for the first time since 2017’s “Logan”. Deadpool 3 is scheduled for release next May.
★ Sometimes a joke contains a kernel of truth. A viral clip from “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” has resurfaced, featuring the host joking with Harrison Ford about the idea of playing ‘Indiana Jones’ when he’s 80 years old. The joke turned to reality as Ford recently appeared in “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” just weeks before turning 81. In the clip, from the year 2000, O’Brien quips that at 80, Ford could do movies in which the treasures are brought to him. Ford laughs, and O’Brien suggests the title for an “Indiana Jones” film with an 80-year-old Ford: “Indiana Jones and the Comfortable Bed.” LINK: https://tinyurl.com/3akct479
TODAY’S SHOW BIZ SKED:
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” (ABC/Global): Amy Schumer, Charlamagne Tha God, Run the Jewels (R)
• “The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon” (NBC/CTV): Selena Gomez, Sebastian Maniscalco, beabadoobee (R)
• “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS/Global): Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Steven Spielberg, John Williams (R)
• “Late Night with Seth Meyers” (NBC/CTV): Rhea Seehorn, Jeremy Allen White (R)
• “Watch What Happens Live” (Bravo): Anitta, Taye Diggs
• “The View” (ABC/CTV): Day of Hot Topics
• “The Talk” (CBS): Christine Ebersole, Susan Stroman (R)
• “Live with Kelly and Mark” (ABC/CTV): Kim Cattrall, Gavin Casalegno
• “The Kelly Clarkson Show” (Check local listings): Marlee Matlin, Tyler Posey, Jeremy Rosado (R)
• “The Drew Barrymore Show” (Check local listings): Pilar Valdes (R)
• “Jennifer Hudson Show” (Check local listings): Swizz Beatz, Jody Watley, Jordan Chiles (R)
• “Secrets of Playboy” (A&E): Season 2 premiere
• “Secrets of Miss America” (A&E): Series premiere. The Miss America Organization is rocked to its core when a whistle-blower leaks shocking emails involving the entire Board of Directors.
• “Claim to Fame” (ABC): Some contestants strategically exchange info in hopes of staying safe; two teams must operate a giant slingshot to obtain more clues.
• “Stars on Mars” (Fox): Four new crew members land on Mars, but their supply craft goes off course and crashes; the 7 remaining crewmates must act quickly to rescue them.
• “BBQ Brawl” (FOOD): Season 4 premiere
• “People Magazine Investigates” (ID): Season 7 premiere
• “90 Day Fiancé: The Other Way” (TLC): Season 5 premiere
BS MUSIC NOTES:
• Taylor Swift – Friday, she released “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” today. The 22-song disc is the 3rd ‘Taylor’s Version’ album. It includes 6 never before-released songs: ‘Castles Crumbling’ (From The Vault) featuring Hayley Williams, ‘Electric Touch’ (From The Vault) featuring Fall Out Boy and ‘I Can See You’ (From The Vault), plus ‘The Story of Us’, ‘Mean’ and ‘December’.
• Joe Jonas – says he checked a major item off his bucket list by joining Billy Joel onstage Friday at Hyde Park London, for a performance of Joel’s 1983 hit ‘Uptown Girl’. He posted video before the event, sharing: “I’m doing something really exciting today…Quite nervous.” LINK: https://tinyurl.com/3zn32h9c
• Elton John – told fans that they will remain in his “head, heart and soul” as he concluded his farewell tour in Stockholm with ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’. His 5-year “Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour” is now the top-grossing tour ever, grabbing $900 million-plus over 333 shows. But Taylor Swift is expected to exceed that number with her current “Eras Tour”.
• Creed — seem to be hinting at a reunion, 11 years after their last stint together. With singer Scott Stapp now sober and stable for the last few years, the group has updated its social media profiles with a new logo, and have blocked their website so that it’s only accessible with a password…for now…
• Foreigner – kicked off their farewell tour on Thursday in Atlanta, and announced the release of tour companion album, “Farewell – The Very Best of Foreigner”, which will be available at tour stops and independent retailers. Only 5,000 individually-numbered stunning gold vinyl copies are available.
• Luke Bryan – has dropped the price on his spectacular beach mansion in Florida. He and wife Caroline originally listed the 5-bedroom, 5-bathroom, 4,645-square-foot house in Santa Rosa Beach for $18 million in Dec. 2022, but dropped it to $16 million in Feb. The most recent listing shows the price at $14.95 million. In case you’re wondering, that works out to a monthly payment of $97,811.
• CMA Fest — After premiering on Hulu last week, the documentary “CMA Fest: 50 Years of Fan Fair” is will air on ABC July 18 at 9PM ET. It takes a look back at the Nashville country music festival’s history, including interviews with performers Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn, Wynonna Judd, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Keith Urban, Blake Shelton, and many more.
• Diamond Rio – Friday, they released the single ‘The Kick’, and unveiled a new lineup. After 33 years together, Brian Prout and Gene Johnson have retired, and new members Carson McKee (fiddle/harmony vocals) and Micah Schweinsberg (drums) have joined. LINK: https://tinyurl.com/44nez6cj
SHOOTING THE BULL
If you absolutely HATE packing before leaving for vacation or on a business trip, then this idea, from Japan Airlines, is for you. As of last week, Japan-bound passengers can reserve clothing to be delivered to their accommodation upon arrival, creating a “travel experience with minimal luggage” experience, according to the airline. The company Sumitomo will be responsible for gathering, laundering, and delivering the items, which will be sourced from overstock and pre-owned apparel. One set of clothing will cost US$28-$49, and you’ll will be able to rent up to 8 outfits for as long as 2 weeks. The “Any Wear, Anywhere” program seeks to lighten passengers’ loads — and those of planes. Japan Airlines will keep track of baggage weight, and study how it affects carbon emissions from aircraft during the 14-month trial. Japan’s flagship carrier operates flights from 8 US cities.
(My wife would STILL manage to pack enough stuff that we have to pay extra!)
(The problem is when you need to pack up all that stuff you bought while on vacation – then remember you don’t have a suitcase!)
THROWING “SHADES” AT E-BOOKS:
You’ve got to wonder how it is that no one has thought of this before: An e-reader that you wear like a pair of glasses. The Sol e-book reader is an innovative device shaped like a pair of sunglasses. In many ways, it is similar to a VR headset, but it’s a much more simplistic gadget designed solely as a hands-free e-reader. Weighing only 100 grams, the Sol was created for a more comfortable reading experience, like reading a book while lying down. The Sol Reader features a pair of 1.3-inch side-lit E Ink displays, each capable of displaying 65,536 pixels. Its manufacturer claims that it blocks out all outside visual distractions, allowing the reader to focus on the e-book. The pages are projected against a dark background and the reading experience is described as similar to looking at the pages of an actual book. And how does one flip pages, you ask? Users push buttons on a remote-like controller. The Sol wearable e-book reader can be pre-ordered now, for US$350. LINK: https://youtu.be/wqqGjb0wZ-Y
(Great! Now when my wife nods off while reading in bed – the light will already be off!)
(The only problem is if you need to wear actual glasses to read…!)
NEW GOOD NEWS:
➢ Waking up from a coma, Bubba Nulisch was devastated to learn that dog had gotten lost. He had been hospitalized with a bacterial infection and put into an induced coma on April 18th. Upon waking 3 weeks later, he was desperate to see his 4-year-old dog Bullet. But while still in hospital, Bubba received a call telling him his beloved pooch had gone missing from his home in Grand Prairie TX. After the suggestion of some nurses to make a Facebook post on a local ‘lost pet’ group, he was soon reunited with Bullet, thanks to some caring strangers. Kim Joppie, who runs a dog rescue in Dallas, saw the post. Bullet had made it to Joppie’s rescue center on June 4th, and after she learned where he belongs, she drove the dog right to Bubba, and was delighted with what happened. Joppie said: “I can’t describe the pure emotion that came from him…They were so bonded. It was so beautiful, and I’ve never seen anything like it.” Bubba said that when he adopted Bullet, the dog pulled him out of his deep depression, which occurred after he was forced to retire from his job.
➢When vacationers were trapped in a historic Washington town after ferries were canceled due to weather, they feared they might have to sleep on the streets. That’s when ferry terminal worker William Patterson invited all 10 of them to stay at his house for the night. Port Townshend hotels and Airbnbs were all fully booked in the tourist town, nor did passengers have any luck finding a spot at the YMCA, Red Cross, or at local campgrounds. With most of the ferry passengers aged over 60, they were fearfully looking at each other amid the sound of howling wind, when Patterson interrupted their worrying to tell them they would all be staying with him and his wife Arianna. Their home has space on the couch and an extra bed, but others bunked on the floor, simply happy to get out of the weather. Early the next morning, William went out to the cafe he runs along with his work at the ferry terminal to make pastries and coffee for all. One unexpected guest said: “It was unbelievable. It was the way humans should treat humans. In this day and age, it was exceptional.”
STARTING THE WEEK WRONG:
It’s Monday. There’s no better time to talk about the small things that can totally ruin your day. And a Reddit user asked women to answer that exact question. They did NOT disappoint…
⇒ “When my pant pocket, headphones, shirt, hoodie pocket, or bag gets stuck on a door handle as I walk by. I go full Thanos.”
⇒ Definitely finger or hand injuries. Anything from a paper cut to a smashed thumb or a kitchen burn…Then it gets bumped over and over again all day long.”
⇒ “A zit forming on the inside of my nose.”
⇒ “Braking just hard enough (that) my purse falls out of the car seat and my stuff goes everywhere.”
⇒ “Waking up to realize that your phone didn’t charge overnight and you have no charger at work.”
⇒ “Leaving the house with no lip balm. I’d rather just take a day off and go back home lmao.”
⇒ “Wearing no-show socks that slip down while walking.
⇒ “My biggest grievance is somebody having the audacity to be in the kitchen while I am in there.”
⇒ “When you bite the inside of your mouth and then you have that lump of flesh that you keep accidentally biting again, setting back any healing progress and experiencing the pain all over again.”
(And of course…) ⇒ “Needing to poo in traffic.”
(What comes to mind for you?)
DID YOU KNOW?
A Canadian court has determined that a “thumbs-up” emoji is a legally valid form of signature in a contract. The grain company, South West Terminal, sued farming company, Achter Land & Cattle, for breach of contract after agreeing to 87 tonnes of flax with a thumbs-up emoji. The judge ruled that the two parties had entered into a valid contract in sending the thumbs-up emoji, meaning that Achter Land & Cattle owes SWT more than $82,000 in damages. (Please tell me that texting the letter “k” isn’t also legally binding!)
BS CHRONOMETER 07.10.23
TODAY’S BS REASONS TO PARTY . . .
• “Don’t Step on a Bee Day”, a warning that now is the time when going barefoot can mean getting stung by a bee. And with the recent disappearance of millions of the crop-pollinating critters, EVERY day should be Don’t Step on a Bee Day. (And if your porch is near a hive…Don’t be on a step!)
• “Piña Colada Day”, saluting the refreshing tropical cocktail that originated in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The name means ‘strained pineapple’ in Spanish. The traditional recipe calls for pineapple juice, light rum, and coconut cream, poured over crushed ice. Don’t forget the mini umbrella!
• “Teddy Bears’ Picnic Day”, an annual excuse to have a picnic with your stuffed animals. (Why? ‘Because today’s the day the Teddy Bears have their pic–nic!’) ‘Teddy Bears’ Picnic’ was originally a song consisting of a 1907 melody by US composer John Walter Bratton with lyrics added in 1932 by Irish songwriter Jimmy Kennedy.
• “Kitten Day”, a day to celebrate the incredible magic of kittens, and to encourage adoption.
• “Town Criers Day”, observed annually on the 2nd Monday of July to honor the news announcers of yesteryear, who wandered throughout towns proclaiming the latest events, announcements, and even the weather. (“7 o’clock and all’s well!”)
AND REMEMBER . . .
[Tues] Mojito Day
[Tues] Blueberry Muffin Day
[Wed] Different Colored Eyes Day
[Thurs] Embrace Your Geekness Day
This Week Is…Everybody Deserves a Massage Week
This Month Is…Grilling Month
TODAY’S CELEBIRTHDAYS . . .
1949  Greg Kihn, Baltimore MD, rock singer-guitarist (Greg Kihn Band-‘Jeopardy’, ‘The Breakup Song’)
1951  Phyllis Smith, St. Louis, MO, TV actress (‘Phyllis Lapin-Vance’ on “The Office” 2005-2013)
1952  Kim Mitchell, Sarnia ON, rock singer-guitarist (‘Patio Lanterns’, ‘Go For Soda’, Max Webster-‘Paradise Skies’)
1953  Rik “Rocket” Emmett, Toronto ON, rock guitarist-singer (Triumph-‘Magic Power’)
1970  Gary LeVox, Powell OH, country singer (ex-Rascal Flatts-‘Bless the Broken Road’, ‘Life is a Highway’)
1972  Sofia Vergara, Barranquilla Colombia, TV actress (‘Gloria Pritchett’ on “Modern Family” 2009-20, judge on “America’s Got Talent” since 2020)/movie actress (“The Smurfs”)/model/world’s highest-paid TV actress (2019)
1976  Adrian Grenier, Santa Fe NM, TV actor (“Entourage” 2004-11)/movie actor (“The Devil Wears Prada”)
1980  Jessica Simpson, Abilene TX, reality TV star (“Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica” 2003–05)/movie actress (“Dukes of Hazzard”)/pop singer (‘These Boots Are Made for Walkin’’)/fashion designer (“Jessica Simpson Collection”)
1986  Wyatt Russell, Los Angeles CA, movie actor (“22 Jump Street”, “Black Mirror”)/son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
TODAY’S FIRSTS . . .
2007  Turkish adventurer Erden Eruç begins the first solo human-powered circumnavigation of the world at Bodega Bay CA (hiking, using rowboats, kayaks, and bicycles, he finishes in July 2012)
2008  “Shazam” is released. For the first time, by simply opening an app on an iPhone, music fans can get an answer to the timeless question, “What’s that song?” And it actually works…
TODAY’S MUSIC EVENTS . . .
1965  The Rolling Stones start a 4-week run at #1 with ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’, the group’s first chart-topper in the US. Keith Richards claims he wrote the main riff in his sleep, waking only long enough to record it
2010  Carrie Underwood marries Nashville Predators NHL player Mike Fisher in Greensboro, Georgia
2019  Taylor Swift is named the world’s highest paid entertainer by Forbes, with 2018 earnings of $185 million
TODAY’S RECORD . . .
2017  With nearly 2.9 billion views, ‘See You Again’ by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth breaks the record for most-viewed music video on YouTube, overtaking ‘Gangnam Style’ by PSY (current title-holder: ‘Despacito’ by Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee – over 8.2 billion views)
BS WHACK FACTS:
✓ The stomach of an adult can hold 1.5 liters of material (Approximately one Bug-Gulp).
✓ About 700 grapes go into one bottle of wine (approx. 2.6lbs – 1.18kg)
✓ The speed of a computer mouse is measured in “Mickeys.”
✓ A new word in English is created every 98 minutes.
✓ Ounce by ounce, nutritious food costs up to 10 times more than junk food.
✓ Iran arrested 14 squirrels for spying in 2007.
Best of BS . . .
BS BAD COOKOUT DISHES:
• Chocolate covered Salmon.
• Carrot dogs..
• Beard hair salad
• Leftover potato salad from last week’s cookout.
• Veggie tray. Don’t be that guy.
• Fava beans and a nice Chianti..
• Gas station sushi.
• Anything that is imprisoned inside Jell-O.
• Anything and everything containing mayonnaise.
-Twitter, first published in BS in 2018
TODAY’S SCOOP OF BS:
➠ A report says that jogging through a forest is twice as good for those suffering from mental health problems than working out in a gym. (It’s safe, until of course, you stumble into the Blair Witch property, a marijuana harvesting farm, or that creepy guy you always see at volleyball games!)
➠ O.J. Simpson turned 76 yesterday. (Out of muscle-reflex, after he cut the cake, he wiped it clean, then discarded it in an airport garbage bin…)
➠ The Montreal Comedy Festival returns July 14-29. The festival has been around since the early 80’s! (Very few things have been around in comedy that long. There’s this festival, Bob Newhart…and substance abuse issues!)
➠ The Montreal Comedy Festival is July 14-29. The festival has been around since the early 80’s! (Talent scouts travel there from all over to see the best performers in the world. And AFTER the strip clubs, they catch some comedy!)
➠ FACT: A single Kellogg’s Frosted Strawberry Pop-Tart has 200 calories, while an Unfrosted Strawberry Pop-Tart has 210 calories! (This is fantastic information for the 6 living Kellogg’s Frosted Strawberry Pop-Tart buyers who count calories…)
BS WEB GOODIE:
“Feline stronger…” (sound up): https://tinyurl.com/2wj8465t
BS RANDOM JOKE:
It’s cleaning day today. I’ve already polished off 2 chocolate bars…
BS U-PICK TRIVIA:
• Which social media platform made its debut in 2003?
b) MySpace [CORRECT]
• Which city is known as the “City of Love”?
c) Paris [CORRECT]
• Which classic rock group is currently NOT on a “farewell” tour?
d) The Rolling Stones [CORRECT]
BS PHONE STARTER:
What product or service is way more expensive than it needs to be?
BS WATER COOLER QUESTION:
Question: One in 10 of us admit to eating THIS for breakfast. What is it?
Answer: Ice Cream
BS DEEP THOUGHT:
Build a life that you don’t need a vacation from.